MT MT - Barbara Bolick, 55, Corvallis, 18 Jul 2007

This does not make much sense. Why would anyone want to hike the same trail two days in a row? Certainly, there are other trails to hike which would provide a new experience and view.
That is exactly what I thought and why I was wondering if some security or traffic cameras may have footage of the car driving to the trail that day. Maybe she was not in the car at all that day?

That is exactly what I thought and why I was wondering if some security or traffic cameras may have footage of the car driving to the trail that day. Maybe she was not in the car at all that day?

That's why I think they never went hiking there in the first place........ who would hike the same trail two days in a row? Me personally, I like to mix things up. And with so many trails in the area, it just doesn't seem likely to me. As far as security cameras or traffic cameras go, there's not really even any traffic lights in the area. Maybe if they stopped in Hamilton for supplies first, but if you blink you'll miss Victor! :crazy:

I could be wrong (I searched and couldn't find it anywhere), but I thought they'd hiked somewhere different the day before. I can't find anything about the day before, though.

I do find it interesting that Detective Johnson says Ramaker is not a suspect, yet is quoted as saying he doesn't believe Barbara Bolick was ever up that trail that day.

I could be wrong (I searched and couldn't find it anywhere), but I thought they'd hiked somewhere different the day before. I can't find anything about the day before, though.

I believe that information was in a newspaper article. Some of those links are probably dead now.

As to Ramaker not being a suspect, I believe the exact wording I have read the most was: "The official position of the Ravalli County Sheriff’s Department is that Ramaker is not a suspect, though a detective named Perry Johnson gave the Missoulian the decidedly ambiguous statement that “until something else happens — we find Barbara or find her body — I think he’s just a witness.” My interpretation is that they can't call him a suspect without a body or other evidence of foul play. The officials also said they don't believe Barbara was ever up the trail she planned to take Ramaker to. So Ramaker either had to have done something to her, or he is in collusion with Barbara to facilitate her disappearance. Or the officials are wrong and she was there and someone else did something to Barbara or she wanted to disappear and took that opportunity to disappear.

If you look at each of those possbilities then it seems most likely that Ramaker did something to Barbara. There are far easier ways to disappear than enlisting a near-stranger to help or slipping away on a steep mountain trail.

http://www.newwest.net/topic/article/where_is_barbara_bolick/C564/L564/ is just one of the many online articles.

Robin

Bumping. I can't find anything new, Even local follow up.

It's amazing how little media attention this case has gotten over the years!
Apparently the Ravalli County Sheriff's office should have gotten back-up from the Montana State Troopers early on in order to advance the search for Barbara Bolick. Since her disappearance happened on federal land it truly baffles me that the State Troopers weren't part of the investigation at an early stage.
Where are the updates on this case???

It's amazing how little media attention this case has gotten over the years!
Apparently the Ravalli County Sheriff's office should have gotten back-up from the Montana State Troopers early on in order to advance the search for Barbara Bolick. Since her disappearance happened on federal land it truly baffles me that the State Troopers weren't part of the investigation at an early stage.
Where are the updates on this case???

I can't find any updates from news sources either. The Charley Project added a sketch of a possible witness to her page: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bolick_barbara.html
That's the only new thing I could find on this case.

Barbara is in the top ten lists of mysterious vanishings into thin air.

http://listverse.com/2013/07/27/10-missing-persons-who-seemingly-vanished-into-thin-air/

http://zarsas.com/10-mysterious-stories-about-people-who-have-disappeared-into-thin-air-10-photos/

I find it mysterious too that the young guys seen there were never identified. If a local person was hiking they would have recognized their own description. But they never went to the police and they did have Missoula license plates.

Barbara's friends say she would never have left her pets. The whole thing stinks of foul play.

This is a very irritating case because she supposedly disappeared right in front of another human being. If it was a bear, I really do not think there wouldn't have been a massive amount of noise. I've read many stories about bear attacks and most victims scream (sorry to say that :( ). If it was a cougar, I suppose it could have stalked them and was on a ledge, jumped down, and drug her a far distance but still wouldn't he have felt the air move around him from the attack? He turned to look at the view, so I am guessing she was in front of him right? Other people stated that he knew the trail from walking it with her before while others stated this was the first time. Wish we knew which was true. I haven't been in this area of Montana since I was a little girl. I am more familiar with Glacier Park. I would love detailed pics of the hiking trail. I wish we could find this lady. She seemed really happy and full of life. I am not buying she disappeared on her own.

years ago, a co-worker of mine failed to show up for work. He rode a motorcycle from a small foothill community to a nearby town daily. His motorcycle was quickly located in a small ravine where he had apparently run off the road but there was no sign of the co-worker. The road was well traveled but no one had seen or picked up an injured man along that road and an exhaustive search was done near the site of the accident.

Subsequent searches were done in concentric circles from that site but no body was found. Weeks later his body was found three miles away up a slope on the opposite side of the ravine in deep underbrush where earlier searcher failed to see him.

The obvious explaination was that in his injured state, he had wandered disoriented in a direction that offered no reasonable chance of rescue and then sought shelter from the elements in deep cover of brush.

This situation is not all that uncommon. People with head injuries do walk long distances without logical purpose and injured people do seek shelter where they are often hard for searchers to find.

My guess is that Barbara slipped and fell and suffered a serious head injury. She then wandered in a random direction where she eventually ended up somewhere she was never located. This post head injury wandering accounts for a lot of these mystery disappearances.

I've been keeping an eye out for any updates on the identity of the remains. So far no news on whether they have ID'd this person.

Such a strange case. I've been watching too. So far nothing

A body was found just off Interstate 90. "Older remains". Maybe this will be her. http://helenair.com/news/hiker-find...cle_778121e6-218e-11e4-bc1b-001a4bcf887a.html

http://missoulian.com/news/local/gr...cle_ba88abba-2177-11e4-a14e-0019bb2963f4.html

It would be nice for her loved ones to have closure.

Those remains are far away from where she was last seen: 2 hours by car, 22 hours walking, so they are probably not related to this case.

The question I have and haven't seen answered anywhere is: when did the construction crew arrive? This would seem to provide the answer to the key question of "was she on the trail that day?" Barbara and Jim Ramaker left the house at 8:30am-9am and the construction crew saw their car when they arrived. The earlier the construction crew arrived the less likely there was time for any incident to happen before Jim (and Barbara?) arrived at the mountain. I'd say if the crew arrived before 9:15am that pretty much rules out an off-trail incident; there just wouldn't have been enough time. If the crew arrived after 9:45am though, that would provide a big enough window for something to have happened and for Jim to arrive on his own. Between 9:15am and 9:45am I'd say we'd need a more precise time that they left in order to say whether there was enough time or not.

A couple more points/questions:

- I looked at pictures of Bear Creek Overlook online and there is definitely not much vegetation. If she fell off a cliff in that area her body should have been easy to find. There are heavily forested areas nearby though and probably along Bear Creek Trail before getting to the overlook itself.

- I was pondering what physical evidence would still be "findable" today. I was thinking 'not much', but then I remembered the gun. Whether it was an accident or something else, the gun would still be there and could be found with metal detectors (obviously a very large area to check). The police checked Jim's rental car and didn't find the gun so if he did kill her he must have disposed of the gun somewhere. Jim & Carl's cousin returned to California just a few days after Barbara went missing and based on what I've read they haven't returned, so there wouldn't have been much of an opportunity for Jim to go back and retrieve the gun.

- Did the police check Jim for gunpowder residue? You'd think if he killed her, especially in haste before arriving at the mountain, that the gun would have been the way to go. If he used it on the trail though the construction crew might have heard it (of course he might not have known there was a construction crew since they arrived after he did).

- The "trail head" is mentioned occasionally. Anyone know whether that means the west end of Bear Creek Trail or the east end? And does anyone know the exact location the car was parked or the location of the construction crew? Or the location of Barbara & Carl's house? It would help to have a map of the route from the house to where the car was parked. TIA.

Those remains are far away from where she was last seen: 2 hours by car, 22 hours walking, so they are probably not related to this case.

The question I have and haven't seen answered anywhere is: when did the construction crew arrive? This would seem to provide the answer to the key question of "was she on the trail that day?" Barbara and Jim Ramaker left the house at 8:30am-9am and the construction crew saw their car when they arrived. The earlier the construction crew arrived the less likely there was time for any incident to happen before Jim (and Barbara?) arrived at the mountain. I'd say if the crew arrived before 9:15am that pretty much rules out an off-trail incident; there just wouldn't have been enough time. If the crew arrived after 9:45am though, that would provide a big enough window for something to have happened and for Jim to arrive on his own. Between 9:15am and 9:45am I'd say we'd need a more precise time that they left in order to say whether there was enough time or not.

A couple more points/questions:

- I looked at pictures of Bear Creek Overlook online and there is definitely not much vegetation. If she fell off a cliff in that area her body should have been easy to find. There are heavily forested areas nearby though and probably along Bear Creek Trail before getting to the overlook itself.

- I was pondering what physical evidence would still be "findable" today. I was thinking 'not much', but then I remembered the gun. Whether it was an accident or something else, the gun would still be there and could be found with metal detectors (obviously a very large area to check). The police checked Jim's rental car and didn't find the gun so if he did kill her he must have disposed of the gun somewhere. Jim & Carl's cousin returned to California just a few days after Barbara went missing and based on what I've read they haven't returned, so there wouldn't have been much of an opportunity for Jim to go back and retrieve the gun.

- Did the police check Jim for gunpowder residue? You'd think if he killed her, especially in haste before arriving at the mountain, that the gun would have been the way to go. If he used it on the trail though the construction crew might have heard it (of course he might not have known there was a construction crew since they arrived after he did).

- The "trail head" is mentioned occasionally. Anyone know whether that means the west end of Bear Creek Trail or the east end? And does anyone know the exact location the car was parked or the location of the construction crew? Or the location of Barbara & Carl's house? It would help to have a map of the route from the house to where the car was parked. TIA.
They were at the Bear Creek Overlook Trailhead. Only one place. I was just up there last August. There's steep cliffs just to the south of the trail, I guarantee if she fell, they would have discovered her remains. It's just speculation on my part, but I highly doubt Barbara ever made it to Bear Creek. Which makes it possible that the remains that were found, could in theory be hers. Too easy to hide her remains in a vehicle and drive two hours away from where authorities would be told that she disappeared from. I'd bet a paycheck that she was never on the Overlook Trail

I have a hard time believing Jim did anything to bring Barbara harm that day. If for no other reason, then simply because the cousin was supposed to be going on the hike with them, but in the morning she was hungover and chose not to. It just seems unlikely to me that Jim suddenly decided "oh good, now I can get my murder on" if you know what I mean. I know these things happen, but as far as I can tell, we are talking about a person who has no known history of violence towards women...and in fact was traveling with a female friend, who I would assume must have trusted him a fair amount if she was bringing him to another state to visit her family member. But that's just my opinion/gut feeling.

I would be far more inclined to believe that something happened the night before. But I don't want to believe that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back