Robin Williams found dead inside his home

Thanks cold pizza...sorry but Robins passing by suicide brought back some painful memories for me.

I haven't wanted to post anything about Robin Williams' death until now. I avoided his movies because he always seemed desperately. profoundly sad to me, even way back in the Mork days. His eyes always looked like they were crying or wincing not laughing. He always seemed to be covering up pain. I thought I was the only one until I read this article on Slate. The writer sees an anger I never noticed, though. That he hadn't committed suicide before was what surprised me. Not trying to seem all I-can-read-people-so-well, because I can't, but in this case . . . just go back and look him in all his pictures.
Article: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...ide_he_was_at_his_best_playing_a_villain.html

Article: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...ide_he_was_at_his_best_playing_a_villain.html[/QUOTE]

My husband bought tickets to see him live at The Fox Theatre in Atlanta, a few months prior to his heart surgery. I told him that I didn't want to go for the same reasons you state. I myself have panic disorder and often analyze other people too intensely as a means of attempting to cope myself and to 'know ahead of time' what might trigger my attacks. One thing which always does trigger my attcks is seeing someone else in emotional pain when there is nothing that I can do to help or even to try to do to help them. Always, I 'felt his pain too deeply' but in later years, that pain seemed to intensify so much that it was impossible for me to watch him. I know this probably sounds strange to many, especially to those who do not know and understand debilitating panic disorder and emotional conditions which are similar, but I promise you my words now are sincere. After deciding not to go, our oldest son and daughter-in-law wanted our tickets and went in our place, to his show. The next day, I even had difficulty asking them how it was... I feared I already knew the answer 'behind the smile', no matter what they said about his performance... Today, I can't shake the genuine sadness over his death. If only... someone here on this Earth could have seen the level and degree of his pain and somehow, someway helped him find balance and still his deamons. God Speed, RW. May you now have eternal peace and comfort... Hopefully, depression, as well as other mental conditions, will be brought to light and a new compassion and outreach will take place among people. Maybe people will grow and find that they need not be fearful to talk to others about their issues and conditions. Just as Robin Williams has been quoted as saying, "With two or more people, it is an audience.", so is life. Maybe with more and more people reaching out trying to help others regain their balance, Robin's untimely, very, very sad death, may continue in his 'giving nature' of helping others find happiness and laughter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/13/business/media/busy-working-robin-williams-fought-demons.html

Charles J. Biederman, a Los Angeles lawyer who represented Mr. Williams in entertainment dealings, strongly refuted tabloid reports on Tuesday that the actor was in acute financial distress.

“No, no, he was doing fine,” Mr. Biederman said. Other members of Mr. Williams’s professional coterie also insisted that money problems were not an easy explanation for what happened. “He didn’t have crazy money like before his divorces, but the coffers were still full,” said a person who worked closely with Mr. Williams, who was currently on his third marriage.
Mr. Wilson said: “He was not broke. He got highly paid for the series, and he just did two movies.”

He was far from broke , he was worth over 50 million dollars and was going to be in more films lined up that would have paid him well. I would think a Mrs Doubtfire sequel would have paid him very well maybe even a percentage, fans have been waiting a long time for a second film. He was so far in his decline that IMO he fixated on money issues, made mountains out of mole hills, extreme depression can do that to a person. I also believe he had extreme guilt for past indiscretions that led to his 2 divorces due to his addictions. He was by all accounts a very sensitive being and as such all the hurt he caused his loved ones was weighing heavily on his mind. He had a very unhappy childhood and he repeated what his own father did with 3 marriages. Mr.Williams had 2 half brothers by his father, all 3 boys were raised as only children. I wonder if the father had let him know his other brothers if he would have felt so lonely as a child.From what I have read as adults they had a relationship but not as children. Add in mental illness which makes you feel even more alone was just too much for him .JMO

I do not see her as a culprit by any means, Steely. However I do not think she took on the role of partner and spouse to a loved one with bi-polar and or depression. I also find it hard to believe she was not aware of his struggles.

I am married to an addict who has been clean for 20 years. I am very sensitive of his needs and his demons that exacerbate his desire to self-medicate.

In 20 years, he has not relapsed, and that makes him a rarity, but I am ever vigilant because when you are committed to a person with emotional issues or addiction, you also commit to their disease. You go into it eyes wide open.

I can say, because of my experience, that not checking on a loved one who has been in a down cycle for months is indicative of "checking out".

It does not make her responsible for Robin's suicide. That is all on him. But it does give pause that if she were so disconnected from him, might that have not been BECAUSE of his depressive state, but rather the TRIGGER for his condition.

If his relatively new wife was already in a separate bedroom, not concerned with her husband's mental state, what does that say about her love for him? And if you are a person suffering from depression, might the indifference of the person whom you trust the most be a trigger for the most dangerous reactivity for a depressed person?

That is all I was intimating. Only I have probably said more in this post than in previous ones, and mods, I apologize if this is a no-no. I just want to emphasize the importance of being PRESENT for loved ones who are addicts, depressed, or living with other emotional pain.

When you commit to a person who is battling _________, remember that you, too are battling__________.

BBM

It actually says nothing...unless one mistakenly makes presumptions based solely on one's own experience. My parents slept in separate bedrooms the last 20 years of their extremely happily-married lives, and my own SO and I do as well, from time to time. When you reach older middle age there can be many, many reasons for this that have nothing to do with intimacy or the loving quality of one's marriage. In our case, my own depression issues a couple decades ago necessitated sleeping in different rooms at times; I slept very sporadically, and my wakefulness every night kept him awake as well. And he had to faithfully get up for work at 6 AM each morning, regardless (I was a SAHM at the time). It was a mutual decision to make use of a spare bedroom at times, when needed. Those were the years he stopped kissing me each morning before leaving for work, because he knew my brain chemical imbalance needed what little sleep cycle it could get in those morning hours if I'd finally gotten to sleep. If I were in the other bedroom, he'd not open the door in the morning for fear of waking me. The daily sacrifices he made for me and our family during those years spoke much louder than any ritual morning goodbyes, in the end, and it was a choice that worked best for us as a couple.

Another big reason for separate bedrooms is snoring, which often becomes louder with older age. So while I no longer am wakeful due to depression, I still wake almost every night due to hearing snoring through the ear plugs I now wear routinely. Again...my wakefulness awakens him, and to protect his health, now, I choose to sleep in separate quarters at times. His sleep (his health) is my top priority. I would imagine the same was true with RW's wife.

I understand this issue from the inside, and can only wish his family peace and strength for the days ahead. They were happy to share his genius with the world, with all the public hassle that can sometimes entail. I am indebted to RW's ability to make me outright belly-laugh in a world that can be, alternately, downright dismal at times.

just announced on CNN: after the commercial, we will air a statement from RS's wife revealing that he was in the early stages of Parkinson's

Norm MacDonald tweeted our favorite Robin Williams remembrance to date

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/12/5...r-favorite-robin-williams-remembrance-to-date

Beautiful.

That everyone has only good to say about him reminds me of a documentary I saw on George Harrison. Of all the people interviewed, the same thread was woven into every account : "he was a good man who loved making people sing and his heart was pure".

It seems that with Robin, the thread will be "he was a good man who loved making people laugh, and his heart was troubled". Poor man, but there is so much of him in this world still.

Do not judge Robin Williams wife. You may have lived with an addict but you have not gone through a suicide. Families, friends left behind are victims too.

My original comment about that was in response to speculation that Robin may have been in a deep down cycle of depression. I thought it odd that if your husband of three years was suffering so greatly, 14 hours could pass without checking on him. Honestly, I still think it's odd. But again it may have been fear for what she might see.

My grandmother lived with us when I was little and she took pills and twice I came home from school to find her unconscious. I had to call my mom at work in a panic. After the first time I was always afraid of what I would see when I got home. I can see having that nagging feeling but being scared that your worst fears were on the other side of the door.

In any case, depression may NOT been the reason, but avoiding a struggle with Parkinson's. So it's kind of a moot point.

Robin Williams was sober, but was struggling with depression, anxiety and the early stages of Parkinson's disease when he died, his widow said today.

Williams was found dead in his Northern California home Monday from what investigators suspect was a suicide by hanging.

"It is our hope in the wake of Robin's tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid," Susan Schneider, said in a written statement.

Get complete coverage of breaking news on CNN TV, CNN.com and CNN Mobile.

I am so disappointed that people have to come here to throw shade at a grieving family. This isn't a suspicious murder, it isnt' EA, LE has made if absolutely clear it is a tragic suicide. I can assure you that everyone who has ever been close to him is already beating themselves up, but it's nice to know there are plenty of people willing to pile on anyway.

I'm out of here. There are plenty of real murders on this board to read about.
(sorry, post quoted wierd)

tcc says:
This is websleuths. If I thought for a minute that his wife read here I would never have posted my concerns.
I loved him more than you can possibly know. I know what he did with his life, how he felt survivor's guilt; well, he felt EVERYTHING in life more deeply than most of us. He really tried to be a good person (and was).
I have attempted suicide and suffer from depression. It tends to run in families.
My only child committed suicide. No note. You think I don't blame myself?
I tend to be compassionate, but the "superficial" cuts on his wrist and his spouse not seeing him for a long time aroused my suspicions.
It hurt me actually that she didn't check on him, to think how alone he must have felt...

Now we know that he was suffering from Parkinson's Disease. He must have been terrified. Re-read my post. I said unless he was suffering from a terminal disease I had concerns. Parkinson's is pretty bad. So is being left alone to suffer in misery. Robin knew that and he never treated his friends that way.

Maybe but it is being done now.
Non professional who works in mental health here...generally personality disorders cannot be diagnosed under 18 because it is felt the personality is still forming. Bipolar can be...as I have worked with children with the diagnosis...whether it is a correct one or not isn't my area of expertise but I have met kids with it

It would have been fine with me if they had left some of the details out. :(

Meanwhile, the Marin County Sheriff’s Office is defending its handling of the case, specifically a press conference in which graphic details were released about Williams’s suicide.
"The Sheriff’s Office understands how the release of the kind of information you heard Tuesday may be viewed as disturbing by some, and as unnecessary by others, but under California law, all that information is considered ‘public information’ and we are precluded from denying access to it," Marin County Sheriff’s Lt. Keith Boyd said in an email to Yahoo on Thursday. "These kinds of cases, whether they garner national attention or not, are very difficult for everyone involved. Frankly, it would have been our personal preference to withhold a lot of what we disclosed to the press yesterday, but the California Public Records Act does not give us that kind of latitude."
In the coming days, there are more heartbreaking details yet to come.n the coming days, there are more heartbreaking details yet to come.
"For the same reasons, we will likely be required to release to the media the 911 phone call we received from Mr. Williams’s residence and the fire dispatch tapes that resulted as well," Boyd continued. "To date, we have received a staggering number of formal Public Act Requests to do so and we are required by law to make those disclosures within 10 days."
Boyd explained their office is looking for a loophole to withhold the tapes, but it isn’t likely:
"While we continue working with our County Counsel’s Office to determine if there might be an exemption in the Public Records Act that would allow us to withhold those tapes, my past experience has been that there is not and we will once again have to do what the law requires us to do." more at link: https://www.yahoo.com/movies/wife-robin-williams-had-parkinsons-disease-his-94744481702.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert
Back