Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, and wow what a long username, I'm gonna call you "HYG" for short, okay? Let me offer you a hearty

:welcome:

to Websleuths, I am sure you'll find a lot of interesting posts here, and a lot of Aussie crimes among them.

I've heard/read several locals saying the exact same thing - that the Wellard place was somewhere only a local with detailed knowledge of the area would travel in and out of..

My thought for many years now was that he very well could have been visiting the bodies from time to time. It's certainly not an unusual thing to happen, in crimes like this, particularly where the bodies are left in remote locations easily visited without too much scrutiny.

I reckon, if he didn't leave the state and continue killing elsewhere, then he's gone into hibernation because the heat got too high.

Thanks for your welcome Ausgirl =)

A mate of mine used to live down that way so my girlfriend and I would often drive past the road you take to get to where the poor woman's remains were left. The whole area has a very sinister vibe to it.

I don't think he has gone into hibernation though, I personally think it's most likely he's under close watch or has gotten so good at what he does that no-one even knows there's been more (which I think could tie in with your interstate theory).

Although most of the people who go missing in W.A are Indigenous I think that Lisa Jane Brown, Hayley Dodd and Julie Cutler are also potential victims.

Julie Beyer of NSW (missing since 2004) shares some visual similarities to the three known victims of the CSK (Spiers, Glennon and Rimmer) and like Glennon was involved in the legal business. Beyer may just be coincidental so I'm stating that with a grain of salt. However, Lisa Jane Brown, Hayley Dodd and Cutler are all close enough to the "prime time" of the CSK to also be victims.

Also I found the one article that references mutilations of the victims and the possible cause of death as strangulation.

Given how tight-lipped the MACRO taskforce was, it's interesting that this paper managed to get away with it. Either that or it's purely speculative on behalf of the writer/editor.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/24/1095961862193.html?from=storylhs

I've read through this thread and this suspect PW hasn't come up. The article is 10 yrs old though.

BTW, I remember when the girls disappeared and the term serial killer was mentioned, there was one suspect interviewed by police, he was a young guy around 30 and he lived with his mother. I remember he spoke to the media and claimed he was innocent. After that, no more disappearances reported. I wondered if it was that guy and if he had gone to ground. JMO

PS, Ross and Weygers have been up there on my suspect list for years.. I was sure they'd been discussed here. Maybe it was somewhere else.. Anyways, the connections there are too thick for coincidence, IMO. Plus, he's directly linked to yet another murder:

Mrs Rayney disappeared after an evening boot-scooting class in Bentley on August 7 last year. Her government Fairmont car was found parked in Kershaw Street, Subiaco, a week later with a damaged gearbox. A trail of transmission fluid led police to a deep grave in the centre of nearby King's Park, where her body was exhumed. Police have not disclosed the cause of death or what forensic clues were found on her body. Mr Weygers said the Crime Stoppers report he was shown had the address of an eastern suburbs house written on the bottom. "I said: 'That's my tenant'."

http://netk.net.au/Rayney/Rayney29.asp

Does coincidence follow this guy like a swarm of summer flies? I dun think so.

Weyger also was accused of sexually harassing four women while employed as a school psychologist, fought the charges for 8 years and apparently won on appeal:

http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/editions/20121027/pdf/paper.pdf (pg 7 & 125)

So is this yet another coincidence? That he is unlucky enough to be victimised by four separate women for the same thing. :no:

Or does he have enough friends in high places to make sure he never faces consequences.

Weyger also was accused of sexually harassing four women while employed as a school psychologist, fought the charges for 8 years and apparently won on appeal:

http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/editions/20121027/pdf/paper.pdf (pg 7 & 125)

So is this yet another coincidence? That he is unlucky enough to be victimised by four separate women for the same thing. :no:

Or does he have enough friends in high places to make sure he never faces consequences.

Oh my lawd, makes me angry how this keeps going on, and for something so serious like murder and sexually harassing women, this guy has 'water tight' alibis, lol. What money can buy I bet. :mad:

This bit from your link -

He believed the fact that he
was later driving a friend’s
former taxi wrongly led police
to him

He'd been driving around in 'friend's' 'former taxi'??!!! :rolleyes: This guy seems to work in tandem with others, SR for one, maybe someone else in the Rayney case. jmo

Claremont's calendar of tragedy

1994, October: A woman (31) entered a taxi near Club Bayview. A man hiding in the back of the taxi grabbed her. She jumped out and broke her leg.

1994, New Year's Day: A man dragged a woman from her car after she left Club Bayview. He attempted to sexually assault her but she fought him off.

1995, February: A girl (17) left Club Bayview - she was tied with electrical cord and left for dead in Karrakatta Cemetery. She had been abducted walking home from the club.

1996 (Jan 27): Sarah Ellen Spiers (18) - never found - first to go missing. She left Club Bayview - last seen in telephone booth, Stirling Highway, Claremont. Police believe a golden sunflower key ring may help find Sarah.

1996 (May 3): Woman (21) indecently assaulted in laneway behind Club Bayview. 2am assailant ripped her skirt off and her head was bashed against a wall six times before she fled.

1996 (Jun 8): Jane Louise Rimmer (23) found murdered in bushland at Wellard, 35km south of Perth, last seen Continental Hotel.

1997 (Mar 14): Ciara Eilish Glennon (27) disappeared from Stirling Highway, Claremont. Had been at the Continental Hotel that night. Body found at Eglinton, 45km north of Perth, on April 3. Missing from the body: a silver Claddagh brooch.

2000 (Nov 8): Sarah McMahon (20) disappeared. Left her Stirling Highway workplace 5pm Friday, disappeared, her car found abandoned at Swan Districts Hospital in Middle Swan.

http://www.australianmissingpersonsregister.com/Spiers.htm

Unsolved WA

Kerry Tate, 22 , body burnt on tre stump , December 1979 murdered.

Lisa Mott , 12, last seen in Collie , October 1980 , missing.

Sharon Fulton , East Perth Railway Station , 1986 missing.

Cheryl Renwick , 33 , disappeared from South Perth Unit , 26 May 1986 missing.

Sally Greenham , 20 , August 1987 , Adelaide Terrace Perth , missing.

Julie Cutler , 22 , last seen at Parmelia Hilton Hotel , 20 June 1988 , car found in surf Missing.

Barbara Westorn , found in bushland north-east of Canning Dam , Perth , murdered.

Kelly Turner , 18 , body found near Canning Dam , July 1991 murdered.

Radina Dujkid , 14 , last seen at her North Beach Unit , 16 May 1992 , missing.

Cariad Anderson-Slater , 41 , last seen at dawn exiting a taxi in Perth , 13 July 1992.

Petronella Albert , 21 , Broome area , 17 July 1992 missing.

Hayley Dodd , Badgingarra , 17 July , 1999 missing.

Lisa Govan , 28 , last seen at 7.30am , Kalgoorlie , 8 October 1999 , missing.

Deborah Anderson last seen January 25 January 2000 , car found burning with body in front seat at Middle Swan Shopping Centre , murdered.

Sarah McMahon , 20 , last seen in Claremont , November 8 , 2000 , her car was found unlocked in hospital car park , November 20 , missing.

Lisa Brown , 19 , street prostitute , last seen on a Perth Street at 12.30am , November 10 1998 , missing.

Darylyn Ugle , 25 , street prostitute , body found at Mundaring Weir , April 2003 murdered.

This bit from your link -

He believed the fact that he
was later driving a friend’s
former taxi wrongly led police
to him

He'd been driving around in 'friend's' 'former taxi'??!!! :rolleyes: This guy seems to work in tandem with others, SR for one, maybe someone else in the Rayney case. jmo

The husband was the prime suspect in the Rayney case and was arrested but later acquitted - prime suspect, apparently, as blood was found in the home... which just happened to be owned by a major suspect in the Claremont murders... go figure.

Lloyd Rayney just this week called for a cold case review of his wife's murder.

--

Corryn Rayney, a Supreme Court registrar, disappeared after an evening bootscooting class in the southern Perth suburb of Bentley on August 7, 2007. Her body was found buried head-first nine days later in Kings Park near the heart of Perth’s central business district.

It was the prosecution’s unsuccessful case that Mr Rayney killed his wife at home while one of their daughters was asleep upstairs and the other was due home shortly from a music concert. The prosecution at the trial alleged he drove her body to Kings Park once the second daughter came home and was in bed. Judge Brian Martin, presiding over the trial, concluded that Corryn Rayney was attacked outside her home. A pollen expert at the trial said nasal swabs suggested she took her last breaths at Kings Park.

In his verdict, Justice Martin highlighted that not only had the prosecution failed to prove its case, it also failed to disprove an alternative scenario. He said it was possible Corryn Rayney had been the victim of a sexually motivated attack.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...043168667?nk=aa9336c586d6f03630482f8030618154

OH -- and there's a doco "The Lloyd Rayney story"!!! Wow-- hopefully someone here will have seen this program.

The state appealed the decision, but the WA Court of Appeal dismissed the application in September last year.

Mr Rayney is still facing charges of bugging his estranged wife’s telephone.

Channel Seven last night declined to say whether Mr Rayney had any control over what was included, or not included, in the 90-minute program The Lloyd Rayney Story which will be shown on Thursday night.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...yney-documentary/story-fnhocxo3-1227025788446

The husband was the prime suspect in the Rayney case and was arrested but later acquitted - prime suspect, apparently, as blood was found in the home... which just happened to be owned by a major suspect in the Claremont murders... go figure.

Lloyd Rayney just this week called for a cold case review of his wife's murder.

--

Corryn Rayney, a Supreme Court registrar, disappeared after an evening bootscooting class in the southern Perth suburb of Bentley on August 7, 2007. Her body was found buried head-first nine days later in Kings Park near the heart of Perth’s central business district.

It was the prosecution’s unsuccessful case that Mr Rayney killed his wife at home while one of their daughters was asleep upstairs and the other was due home shortly from a music concert. The prosecution at the trial alleged he drove her body to Kings Park once the second daughter came home and was in bed. Judge Brian Martin, presiding over the trial, concluded that Corryn Rayney was attacked outside her home. A pollen expert at the trial said nasal swabs suggested she took her last breaths at Kings Park.

In his verdict, Justice Martin highlighted that not only had the prosecution failed to prove its case, it also failed to disprove an alternative scenario. He said it was possible Corryn Rayney had been the victim of a sexually motivated attack.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...043168667?nk=aa9336c586d6f03630482f8030618154

OH -- and there's a doco "The Lloyd Rayney story"!!! Wow-- hopefully someone here will have seen this program.

The state appealed the decision, but the WA Court of Appeal dismissed the application in September last year.

Mr Rayney is still facing charges of bugging his estranged wife’s telephone.

Channel Seven last night declined to say whether Mr Rayney had any control over what was included, or not included, in the 90-minute program The Lloyd Rayney Story which will be shown on Thursday night.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...yney-documentary/story-fnhocxo3-1227025788446

This is the promo for Lloyd Rayney story, hopefully we can find it online after its aired in Perth. They mention two men should have been investigated. One maybe the guy you've posted below Ausgirl and the other... hmmmm?

[video=youtube;mVoRyOXPoGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVoRyOXPoGA[/video]

It's already up if I'd looked further down. :doh:

[video=youtube;91Z7zsP9frY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Z7zsP9frY[/video]

The Lloyd Rayney story.

It's already up if I'd looked further down. :doh:

[video=youtube;91Z7zsP9frY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Z7zsP9frY[/video]

The Lloyd Rayney story.

That was a really good documentary thanks prime

That was a really good documentary thanks prime

It was Oddsocks :), very disappointing about the cops doing the investigation. smh I hope Lloyd and his girls get to see the culprits caught and imprisoned soon.

Also thanks to Ausgirl who alerted me to this doco and how it ties in with PW too, suspect in the Claremont murders. I read all about Rayney, but obviously most I thought I knew were lies. :facepalm:

Is there an independent thread for a Rayney case here? If not, perhaps we need one, as there's clearly a lot to discuss!! Beyond the murder itself - is it coincidence that a lawyer working cases against police corruption has evidence planted on his wife's corpse? Bit of a can of worms, this whole thing,. perhaps. In any case, after seeing that doco, I have doubts Corryn was a victim of the CSK. Too much variation from his other victims and crime scenes, IMO.

So then -- was it sheer coincidence that another dead woman -- another one connected with the legal profession, to boot -- can be linked to Weygers? This one, pretty directly - if she was a tenant, he *must* have known her in person. It's just TOO weird.

The CSK case was headed by *two* corrupt cops in a row. I think any criticism of the WA police at the time is fully warranted. It seems a lot were very dirty indeed. It just makes my teeth grind, to think that the killer of those lovely young women is still out there, perhaps due to some dirty cop not wanting to upset applecarts.. I hope that's not so. But really, after seeing the seed pod fiasco in that doco, I would not be surprised.

Lisa Brown bears a passing resemblance to the other victims. However, unlike the other victims she was not affluent; considering she was working as a street worker - the area she disappeared from is usually full of prostituted women.

I took have doubts about Rayney being connected. Is anyone else familiar with Estelle Blackburn's book? In it she highlights her abusive partner who had access to taxis and was jailed. After his incarceration, the murders apparently stopped.

However, in the documentary I recall watching about it - one of the victims was picked up by a white sedan I believe and not a taxi? Not only that, but I don't think that a domestic abuser would necessarily go for strangers (as they are usually quite good at hiding their other side, so to speak,) and from what we know about the isolated location of the victims bodies it indicates a fairly decent level of premeditation/organisation.

Thinking of BTK - he killed the young in his youth, had a very long cooling off period and then resumed many years later with slightly older victims who were easier to overpower. Could the CSK be undergoing his long cooling off period and start resuming soon? It's been nearly ten years since they started so it is a possibility (however remote.)

Quote; It's been nearly ten years since they started so it is a possibility (however remote.)

It`s actually 18 years & coming up to 19 soon. :/ Jan 26 1996

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member