VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has UVA clarified the dates of the recent sexual assaults? Their bulletin at http://www.virginia.edu/uvapolice/safety.html appears to include conflicting dates.

September 14: "A student has reported a sexual assault to the Charlottesville Police Department. The incident is reported to have happened in the early morning hours on Friday, September 13, 2014." [Note: 9/13 was a Saturday, not a Friday]

and

September 18: "I write to inform of two incidents under investigation by the Charlottesville Police Department that have recently come to our attention. The first incident involves a female U.Va. student who reported being sexually assaulted near Wertland Street in the early morning hours of Sept. 14. The second incident is believed to have occurred in the 200 block of 15th Street NW during the early morning hours of Sept. 15, where police discovered an unconscious female who is a local resident. The circumstances regarding her injuries are unclear and are being investigated as a possible sexual assault."

Are we to assume the later entry corrects the earlier entry?

He's questioning the wisdom of it because this guy is slippery. He has already walked away from the cops both at his residence and at the police station. He dumped their surveillance yesterday right there in the middle of town. If this guy manages to find the resources to flee across the country, I have no doubt he will do it. I suspect that Longo has the same concern.

Him leaving the apartment, and him leaving the police station was not him fleeing. He was not a wanted man at the time. It was not sneaky of him to leave either of those situation. Longo himself said JM had a cordial conversation with an officer while waiting for his lawyer at the police station. He did not come in there with an attitude intending on pulling one over on the police.

As for the surveillance, there is a reason Longo is beating around the bush and saying he isn't sure of the exact circumstances. He said today, on CNN, that JM was observed getting into a car at another location in town (not at the police station) and leaving in a high rate of speed. That could mean JM has a habit of speeding, or that JM was intentionally trying to lose LE. It is still too vague. If I thought JM was THE guy, I'd probably talk to the officers involved in this incident to get the FULL details.

I really wish the high fiving women would be reading the internet and watching the videos, etc. and go to police and chat. I think there's a really good chance they are completely unaware they are on video, that they were in the vicinity when HG went missing, or even that a man who might be a friend/acquaintance of theirs is a POI. They might have no clue who HG is or that there is a missing girl.

Were there any officers hanging around the Mall area late at night this weekend, questioning people as to whether or not they had been there the previous weekend and might have seen anything?

Would hope that has happened (even during the week just in case...)

And I'd think they'd have had more officers out and about and being especially visible than they might otherwise given all the events in a short window that they just had!

It'd probably reassure people, thwart more happening, and up the odds THEY might even be approached if they're out patrolling and more visible (especially on foot)

Even if they didn't ask anyone anything (which I think would have been a missed opportunity) I could see someone walking past an officer and pausing with a, "I don't think there's anything to this, but that night I saw/heard/something..."

Especially accessible and in a context where someone might say something more off the cuff or something they really do think is irrelevant (or already known) and so don't think it's worth calling in, or perhaps has some degree of hesitation, yet almost can't help themself from mentioning something that they'd otherwise not done if it meant calling in a tip line or LE or seeking them out in some way.

Hannah appeared to be looking for someone. Did that someone pick her up where her scent ended? I hope the phone records come back very soon.

Steelman, imo HG was taken by an experienced sexual predator, and dreads is likely the person responsible for her disappearance. If dreads is responsible, it is highly unlikely that HG was his first victim, imo...

I was addressing the probable reason that HG has not been located as of yet. Most missing/murdered person's remains are located by hunters, fishermen, hikers, dog walkers, and other outdoors persons. Imo, this will likely be the result in HB's case..
Virginia archery, muzzleloader, and firearms deer seasons open in a few days and scouting is presently underway; Youth/Apprentice Deer Hunting Day -Statewide September 27, 2014. Imo, VA residents should be advised to be on alert for vulture or other scavenger activity and report it to DNR..

I gotcha'. I agree. I've wondered many times why these cops bother to even go out and search for anything. It seems like they hardly ever find what they are searching for, even with "highly trained search teams and canines". Some jogger bouncing along listening to ITunes nearly trips over the body 2 months later laying right there in plain sight. ("Yes, that area was searched, but.......... ???" ) :dunno::dunno:

As someone who is very interested in this case but having an extremely difficult time getting caught up...
What are the parameters for giving a case its own forum where we can keep threads organized?
(grateful for you Mods...have no idea how you manage--and sleep)

Given September 13 weekend's mini crime blitz (rapes, assaults, missing person), it's interesting that there was no such activity this past weekend. Or is there a lag in the reporting of crimes on and near campus at UVA?

Given last weekend's mini crime blitz (rapes, assaults, missing person), it's interesting that there was no such activity this weekend. Or is there a lag in the reporting of crimes on and near campus at UVA?

I would imagine people were much more careful this weekend and there was likely a stronger LE presence

I gotcha'. I agree. I've wondered many times why these cops bother to even go out and search for anything. It seems like they hardly ever find what they are searching for, even with "highly trained search teams and canines". Some jogger bouncing along listening to ITunes nearly trips over the body 2 months later laying right there in plain sight. ("Yes, that area was searched, but.......... ???" )

How could they look Hannah's parents in the eyes and say 'wait and see?' The whole economy of that town depends on the Universty and it's students!

It would seem that right now the crucial piece of the puzzle is figuring out if HG went with JM in his car or not. Based on what Longo has said in the last 2 press conferences it looks like police are hoping an eye witness will come forward and say if they saw her in his car or not. Obviously they want to talk to JM badly.

Tim Longo is on the Today show right now

I think the aggressive tactic in getting JM's photo and info out there is so that someone might step up with more info which LE desperately needs. Don't know what evidence police have from car and apt, and if forensics pans out.

It has been my observation, that the less evidence LE has, the more info they give out. They don't give out any info that would not benefit them.

Don't want to mention other cases because it does confuse things here, and mod has requested we do not, so I won't, but the area has had other missing women, and what LE found in JM's car may well not have been just for this case. Way to early to say anything about serial killers, but, yes, there are some unsolved cases here. DOubt Longo is telling the truth about not knowing much about the reckless driving.

You know something's different when Longo starts going out on the morning Talk Shows.

For the last week, people have been starving for information about this case, waiting anxiously for each and every press conference.

That information came in dribs and drabs over the last week.

This morning, Longo is hitting all the morning news programs as if he is pitching a book or something.

I guess things have stalled out.

Since JM is the last person seen with her I think it makes sense that his name would be out there. If he is truly innocent go in with a lawyer and talk. They are putting the pressure on him and I feel that is smart. Like I said he was last seen with her trail of crumbs currently ends with him.

I also believe the police had to put info out into the public because they are in need of eye witnesses at the moment to string along some information to get the case going especially since they have no body which could give clues.

Imo, CPD Chief Longo's transparent investigative strategy is nothing less than brilliant. If more missing/murdered person's cases were handled in such a professional manner, utilizing their most valuable investigative resource; the American public. Then maybe we wouldn't have a silent epidemic of missing/murdered persons with over 100,000+ missing persons cold cases in the USA. Awareness is the key and the public is analogous to a security camera across the landscape of America.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5rB2LTw1j4
TOGETHER... WE ARE CUE (Community United Effort)
by Heather Cohen

Have there been any other cases in anyone's recent memory in which LE had been so outspoken against someone yet-to-be-arrested, and turned out to be incorrect? The only other "putting the pressure on" type case I've personally followed was Heather Elvis.. but that was very mild compared to this (the police report that 'wasn't supposed to' identify OMM). I'm just thinking about all the times some RSO who was last seen with the person or whatever hadn't been arrested yet and the most LE would say about it was like "they're still out there, we're still working around the clock to bring justice," etc. And after that silence if someone else got arrested, there would be some hat eating on our parts.. but that's about it.

The way this has been handled so far is starting to make ME hope they find evidence on JM because I cringe when I imagine them trying to publicly explain how they could've been so baselessly convinced. (not really, of course)

Wonder whatever happened with that user asking her son about football practice Saturday morning. Could someone have advised her not to disclose that information?

Have there been any other cases in anyone's recent memory in which LE had been so outspoken against someone yet-to-be-arrested, and turned out to be incorrect? The only other "putting the pressure on" type case I've personally followed was Heather Elvis.. but that was very mild compared to this (the police report that 'wasn't supposed to' identify OMM). I'm just thinking about all the times some RSO who was last seen with the person or whatever hadn't been arrested yet and the most LE would say about it was like "they're still out there, we're still working around the clock to bring justice," etc. And after that silence if someone else got arrested, there would be some hat eating on our parts.. but that's about it.

The way this has been handled so far is starting to make ME hope they find evidence on JM because I cringe when I imagine them trying to publicly explain how they could've been so baselessly convinced. (not really, of course)

Wonder whatever happened with that user asking her son about football practice Saturday morning. Could someone have advised her not to disclose that information?

It was the DA not LE, but yes - Duke lacrosse case.

Well, after searching non-stop for the last week and not finding her..........what can they say to them now ??

They can tell them that the last person verified seen with her is refusing to co-operate and that they want to talk to him. Like they have told us. Like it or not the trail so far leads to JM. If from there it moves on he should tell the police what he knows and help them find out where Hannah was next. Why isn't he talking and helping the case? Perhaps because if he does he's going to incriminate himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge