VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo, CPD Chief Longo's transparent investigative strategy is nothing less than brilliant. If more missing/murdered person's cases were handled in such a professional manner, utilizing their most valuable investigative resource; the American public. Then maybe we wouldn't have a silent epidemic of missing/murdered persons with over 100,000+ missing persons cold cases in the USA. Awareness is the key and the public is analogous to a security camera across the landscape of America.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5rB2LTw1j4
TOGETHER... WE ARE CUE (Community United Effort)
by Heather Cohen

Bear in mind that there have been a number of unsolved cases in this area. I don't think Longo is brilliant. He is desperate for evidence and info. He doesn't have enough to hold JM and JM is all he has. All he can say about JM is that JM was the last person they can trace to being with Hannah Graham. DA is saying there is NOT enough info for Longo to arrest. If JM turns out to have nothing to do with Hannah or any other missing, assaulted female in the are, Longo has nastier things than mud on his face.

It was the DA not LE, but yes - Duke lacrosse case.

Thanks, I'll go read up some more on that. I guess I'm more curious from a media/public interaction standpoint since all of this is still so unprecedented to me. In my college town the chief is still being mocked for a statement released a few years ago claiming there are certifiably no gangs in the area. Really big "nothing to see here, folks" type attitude — mostly to keep the college student/parent $$$ there.

Edit: not to totally diss my (former) local le. in their defense, they were always very receptive to student concerns. I called them.. a lot.. because my gut may be overactive.. and I felt SO STUPID one time for doing it after I saw this man who had earlier that day given me major bad feelings (standing in middle of running trail in non-athletic clothing.. watching everyone who had to awkwardly pass him) briskly following a college aged looking girl. He was being so obvious about it another person stopped after they passed and turned around to watch them. I circled the block and briefly considered rolling down my window at her like "Hey girl, so sorry, my phone died, do you still need a ride to campus?" but then I might've been reading about someone ELSE's crime report featuring myself as a would-be kidnapper, lol. And I'm a young 5'2 female. No idea how older, larger men ever get over their own fears to help women they don't know. :(

I'm re-posting this link. An excellent article describing use of the term "Person of interest" and how it can devastate lives of innocents.

http://ajrarchive.org/Article.asp?id=4042

Yes I posted this link last night and within minutes the Help Find Hannah Graham FB page admin made a posting that we should be careful when naming JLM because he is not officially a suspect yet and that can cause legal troubles. The timing made me certain the admins of that page are reading here.

I am also certain LE is reading here. They always do in highly publicized cases.

If he is JLM I imagine a multi-million dollar defamation lawsuit in his future.

How could they look Hannah's parents in the eyes and say 'wait and see?' The whole economy of that town depends on the University and it's students!

I know that I couldn't, possumheart... The press conference yesterday and plea by HG's parents was heartwrenching. The selfless act by Hannah Graham of giving up her spring break to assist in the Tuscaloosa, AL tornado clean up speaks volumes of her character and empathy for others. Made me think of retired FBI BAU Roger L. Depue's question; 'why the good seem to die young, while the evil is allowed to live'.. When her dad introduced BeBe; HG's guardian angel bunny rabbit, I have to admit, I almost lost it..

<mod snip> My guess is that because of all of the national attention on the case, the DA wants to procede carefully. If they charge JM and it turns out to be wrong, and it looks like they did not have sufficent evidence by most standards, they are going to be in trouble. Bear in mind what happened to the DA when he lost the Casey Anthony case.

Right now the actual evidence against JM is scant. If the forensics report on car and apartment comes up empty, he has nothing other than that he was last person they can find who was with HG.

The guy, JM, has come forward, has talked to the police, and we have no idea what he explained or did not explain. Whatever was said or not said, he cannot be arrested for this situation. And, yes, JM looks guilty, Longo is making sure he looks very guilty. He needs more info, help desperately to get anywhere.

Sadly, I don't think HG's going to be found anytime soon. She's not likely to be in the area since a vehicle was involved and in this amount of time, she might not even be in the state of VA. But if she was so transported in that car, the dogs should have been able to come up wtih a scent, there might be DNA evideince in the car. But even that isn't enough, IMO, to accuse JM of anything.

As someone who is very interested in this case but having an extremely difficult time getting caught up...
What are the parameters for giving a case its own forum where we can keep threads organized?
(grateful for you Mods...have no idea how you manage--and sleep)

Here is the link to the media thread http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Maps-Photos-etc-**NO-DISCUSSION**&p=10987423

That might help a little? It is all maps,photos, videos and no discussion.

I do wish we could have this and a timeline stickied on the first page....

The two women who were in the front of the Sal's video who walked past POI need to talk to police if they haven't already.

The guys in that same video who were walking in a group behind Hannah, whom WG put himself in front of, need to talk to the police.

All people in the Tempo restaurant who saw something need to come forward.

All her friends who were with her that night and haven't talked to the police need to do so.

Gas stations in the area need to go through Saturday, Sept. 13, video without being asked, just in case there is something on it.

If you have any tidbit of info and are reading this, please take it to the police.

I'm getting the impression the police are overstepping what they should be doing. When they searched four apartments, that seemed questionable. Now, they have an arrest warrant for how he was driving, which to me just appears to be a vindictive move done out of anger on the part of the police. The POI has a Constitutional right to remain silent, whether we like Constitutional rights or not.

Imo, CPD Chief Longo's transparent investigative strategy is nothing less than brilliant. If more missing/murdered person's cases were handled in such a professional manner, utilizing their most valuable investigative resource; the American public. Then maybe we wouldn't have a silent epidemic of missing/murdered persons with over 100,000+ missing persons cold cases in the USA. Awareness is the key and the public is analogous to a security camera across the landscape of America.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5rB2LTw1j4
TOGETHER... WE ARE CUE (Community United Effort)
by Heather Cohen

I always have appreciated your tireless advocacy for more transparency in these investigations and more collaboration with the public. You are like an expert in serial killers and I learn so much from your posts. I agree with being very proactive in cases. Where I am concerned is on Longo's direct outing of this one person without evidence. This feels too much like Richard Jewel to me. Isn't there a way to be transparent and proactive and passionate while still protecting the rights of "innocent until proven guilty?"

Longo said on TODAY that they are still in the process of retrieving cell phone records but they hope to have forensics on the vehicle today or tomorrow. Matt Lauer asked him why he is so passionate about this case and the chief said that he is a naturally passionate person and that his passion also stems from having a teenage daughter. He also said JM went to a residence in a neighboring county after leaving the police station, went into the residence, then came out and jumped in a vehicle and took off and that was when the chase ensued. (paraphrased) IMO, he must have been followed by state police or FBI since the chase was in another county.

We have no idea who has come forward to the police and who has not. No idea what info police have. Just that it's not enough to accuse JM of anything officially.

It's always heart wrenching when parents, family, loved one are pleading for the return, for more info on a missing person. Follows pretty much the same script each time. I still ache for Lauren Spierer's parents. They put together a big campaign, private detectives, stayed right on the case for a very long time, to no avail. To this day, three years later, there isn't any more info about how she vanished, if she is dead or alive, and no one has been charged by LE. Same thing about extolling the virtues of the young woman. Both young women were college students, with such great promise for a productive future, much loved and liked by many. They also were very foolish in going out alone at night in less than optimal condition. Their right to do so, but risks are out there for anyone who does this. Why Hannah did not just stay at the gas station and ask someone to pick her up there--she had her cell phone, I don't know. She was completely turned around as to where she intended to be and was lost and so confused. Instead she had a drink with someone (JM) without letting a friend, and likely got into a vehicle with a person.

Longo said on TODAY that they are still in the process of retrieving cell phone records but they hope to have forensics on the vehicle today or tomorrow. Matt Lauer asked him why he is so passionate about this case and the chief said that he is a naturally passionate person and that his passion also stems from having a teenage daughter. He also said JM went to a residence in a neighboring county after leaving the police station, went into the residence, then came out and jumped in a vehicle and took off and that was when the chase ensued. (paraphrased) IMO, he must have been followed by state police or FBI since the chase was in another county.

I would rather he have said--well, there are some things we know that we can't share right now, but I am certain based on evidence that we have the right guy. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Emaa View Post
I'm re-posting this link. An excellent article describing use of the term "Person of interest" and how it can devastate lives of innocents.

http://ajrarchive.org/Article.asp?id=4042

Yes I posted this link last night and within minutes the Help Find Hannah Graham FB page admin made a posting that we should be careful when naming JLM because is is not officially a suspect yet and that can cause legal troubles. The timing made me certain the admins of that page are reading here.

I am also certain LE is reading here. They always do in highly publicized cases.

If he is JLM I imagine a multi-million dollar defamation lawsuit in his future.

RE: An excellent article describing use of the term "Person of interest" and how it can devastate lives of innocents.

<BBM for Focus>

The lives of many innocents have been devastated by the taking of an unsuspecting innocent coed; Hannah Elizabeth Graham...
JLM has been identified as a person of interest in HG's disappearance for good reason, imo... He was the last person to see her alive... The last person to see a person missing under suspicious circumstances, and likely the victim of foul play is always a person of interest..

I think Longo was not insinuating JM's guilt. He only called him POI and on Sunday even stepped back from that when asked and said JM was someone LE wanted to talk to ask questions about Hannah because he was the last person seen with her. MOO

I always have appreciated your tireless advocacy for more transparency in these investigations and more collaboration with the public. You are like an expert in serial killers and I learn so much from your posts. I agree with being very proactive in cases. Where I am concerned is on Longo's direct outing of this one person without evidence. This feels too much like Richard Jewel to me. Isn't there a way to be transparent and proactive and passionate while still protecting the rights of "innocent until proven guilty?"

I always hear that releasing info can sometimes hurt the case and you should only release info to the pubic when you need the publics help. Obviously in HG's case the police are reaching out to the publlic for eye witnesses.

So that 'coy' guy isn't credible? I don't see what he posted about negotiating with JM to come in posted anywhere else.

waltzingmatilda, CPD Chief Longo, stated in the presser that JM was being followed by state and federal officials when the high speed chase occurred.

I think Longo was not insinuating JM's guilt. He only called him POI and on Sunday even stepped back from that when asked and said JM was someone LE wanted to talk to ask questions about Hannah because he was the last person seen with her. MOO

He also mentioned not to get tunnel vision

I have a feeling if Longo didn't chose being a cop as a career he may have made a decent actor. He's got a lot of intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus