VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just a lesser charge that can be upgraded if Hannah is found.
Precisely. Longo referred to having consulted the commonwealth's attorney... at this time, this charge is what is supported by the available evidence, but it's a near certainty that they wouldn't be charging him with this if they didn't expect to later upgrade the charge and potentially add much more serious charges. A real "stay tuned" moment in the case.

And if you look at the first definition of "Abduction with intent to defile", it is: Abduction (i) of any person with the intent to extort money or pecuniary benefit, (ii) of any person with intent to defile such person, (iii) of any child under sixteen years of age for the purpose of concubinage or prostitution, (iv) of any person for the purpose of prostitution, or (v) of any minor for the purpose of manufacturing child *advertiser censored* shall be punishable as a Class 2 felony. If the sentence imposed for a violation of (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) includes a term of confinement less than life imprisonment, the judge shall impose, in addition to any active sentence, a suspended sentence of no less than 40 years. This suspended sentence shall be suspended for the remainder of the defendant's life subject to revocation by the court.

Yeah, I was reading that. Very odd charge.

You will see them at his trial. LE is not required to share anything with you until then!

I just fear LE is falling into their own "tunnel vision" trap. With a named suspect, do you really think they'll be looking anywhere else??

What are you trying to say? That the police department is railroading JM? There is absolutely nothing to back that up, and I think accusing LE of doing so without proof is wrong.

jmo

I think LE would need a lot more evidence to get a conviction against the people I named, and that is why they are still free, while he was arrested 2 weeks later.

My first post here, sorry if repeat because I can't keep up with the thread, but here is the VA Code regarding "abduction with intent to defile":

§ 18.2-48. Abduction with intent to extort money or for immoral purpose.

Abduction (i) of any person with the intent to extort money or pecuniary benefit, (ii) of any person with intent to defile such person, (iii) of any child under sixteen years of age for the purpose of concubinage or prostitution, (iv) of any person for the purpose of prostitution, or (v) of any minor for the purpose of manufacturing child *advertiser censored* shall be punishable as a Class 2 felony. If the sentence imposed for a violation of (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) includes a term of confinement less than life imprisonment, the judge shall impose, in addition to any active sentence, a suspended sentence of no less than 40 years. This suspended sentence shall be suspended for the remainder of the defendant's life subject to revocation by the court.

This gives me the chills. Hopefully they find her and him ASAP.

Did anyone notice Chief Longo pause and say - this case AND (he stopped)

I really thought he was going to reference another case.

Based on what I read, I think all they would need to have on him is that she was in his car, then never seen again. They just need to have some kind of evidence that he intended to do her harm in some way - they don't actually need evidence yet that harm was done.

See post 713 on page 29 with examples of other cases in Virginia (one right in Charlottesville) where someone was charged with intent to defile

Mods: can we speculate on connection to other cases now?

Why would you want to do that when LE most likely has JM's DNA to be able to make this charge, and could match it with other cases and add it the charges or make that announcement that he is so linked? This just about ends the speculation.

I wish Longo would have taken a moment to give an explanation of the charges. Attempt to Defile??? Preparing for multiple threads discussing what that actually means.......

There are currently 815 users browsing this thread. (338 members and 477 guests) WOW!!!!! (Welcome to all new members and lurkers!)

I wonder if the articles of clothing they returned for on the second warrant was what he was wearing that night...looking for her dna?

My question to that is...why didn't they get the clothing on the first go-round?

There is nothing worse than 'experts' on a show getting the facts wrong over and over again. imo

Could he be charged with abduction just by walking with her if a witness says she was in distress?

Been on WS since Mickey Schunick's case. Followed many cases since then. This one is EXTREMELY interesting. I just can't weed through all this........Completely off course on so many levels.

How many times in all these cases when there is a murder we hear the neighbors say...
He was such a quiet man.
He was always so nice.
Bla Bla Bla

Yep, exactly! Which is why I'm shocked that so many people here said stuff like that in the past few days. We know better than to base opinions on how someone looks.

There's a missing young woman named Hannah. Perhaps we can concentrate on her and her case and not dwell on who had differing opinions about various people involved in the case either as a perpetrator or in the periphery.

I doubt he is involved with MH. They most likely have his DNA. He would have been charged with murder.

It's possible though that they haven't tried to see if his DNA is a match to DNA in MH case.

I always try to remember, one persons teddy bear can be another persons grizzly bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998