PRESS CONFERENCE: September 25, 2014 - Charlottesville Police Department

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumor/Q: JM seen in apartment with white woman? Was he with another white woman that night?
A: no comment.

Did anyone see the restaurant's release this morning stating that Hannah actually never came into the restaurant, but that she stayed outside waiting for him, while he went in and bought drinks. After he came back out, they walked off together.

Longo: ...we have at least one witness that will put her inside that restaurant

Q.Reporter says he has two sources that provided information that Jesse was with a white woman (not Hannah, small woman) at his apartment prior to Hannah's disappearance that night.

A. No information about that.

I agree. He's a lot more dejected than in previous press conferences. Perhaps part of that is him deliberately trying to scale his passion back slightly, he has been criticised a bit after all.

Funny, one person's "dejected" is another person's "calm and measured." I think he has been sad since he realized the chances were small that HG would be found safe.

Did some reporter just say the Tempo restaurant owner says she was not in Tempo?

HG was moving in direction with sense of purpose, but no specific reason.

Q: Any idea of why HG was down on mall? What she was looking for?
A: No idea why she went there.

So none of her friends knew about this party she was going to go to?? I find that hard to believe..

Longo: prior to JM being arrested, parents were walked through the process. Parents remain strong and are thankful.

Longo: She was moving with a sense of purpose...

We have no reason why she went down there (the mall)

The reporters aren't following instructions =/

Complicated investigation.
We don't know where Hannah Graham is.
Still contacting witnesses.
Asking for patience due to the complexity of investigation.
Our purpose is not to disclose breaking news but how we here in Charlottesville will ask the community to help.

18 y/o college student is still missing.
No idea where she is.
Emergency management, S+R teams, are moving south to search farm lands and large parcels, will be aggressive following up those areas. Need permission from property owners.
Following up on leads.
Asking property owners to check their properties and then call the tip line to let us know it was searched.

Asking realtors about vacant properties and ask realtors to inspect those properties. Then call the tip line to share the info. with us.

This way we can use the search team efficiently.

We have set up a website for people to write in tips
CPDtips@Charlottesville.org

What am I looking for? Hannah was wearing a cropped top, shiny, silverfish with black mesh, wearing dark colored capri type pants and white shoes. Iphone 5S had a pink case.
If you find something that fits those descriptions, do not touch them. call the tip line so that they can be processed.

If you see tire tracks. do not disturb the area. call us. we'll make the assessment of what is relevant.

No citizen in the community will know what we know. Therefore we are prepared to process thousands of tips.

Wildlife cameras....if you have one.....we're asking you to check it. Midnight on Sept 13th up until today.
If you see an orange vehicle or blue Nissan or other vehicle you are not familiar with....call us.

Large block of time between Hannah disappeared and the time it was reported to us. We need to shrink that gap. To figure out when Hannah truly disappeared.

For example, if somebody saw Jessie Matthew on Saturday morning...alone...we need to know that information.

If you know Jesse, and many people do, they know his habits, they know his customs, eg. Jesse liked to fish...where did he like to fish? Those are the things we need to know so we can look in those areas. We can only do that with your help.

Reward is $100,000

We want as many people in this community to be looking for Hannah Graham and be talking about the search.

We have an obligation one way or the other to bring her home.

Questions:
Q:Is there an ongoing investigation to try to determine if anybody assisted JM getting to Texas?
A: we don't have any information to suggest that.
We can speculate what JM was doing in Galveston, Tx. Were there stops along the way? Were there contacts that provided assistance.

Q: what results did you get back from the car, house??
A: evidence that was obtained....not at liberty to disclose the type of evidence. it has been sent to the lab. we have to be cautious about how we talk about that evidence.
lots of things contributed to probable cause and I will not discuss that.

Q: extradiction, when?
A: travel schedule dictates that.

Q: In the search you haven't mentioned looking outside of the state of Virginia.
A: we need to start with the most likely, and that is that she is within the city of Charlottesville. That is why it is important to shrink the block of time.

JM evoked his right to counsel and to remain silent.

Q: the way you are talking about property owners searching their property....(couldn't hear somebody coughed)
A: difficult question, the more time that goes by it becomes more difficult. I have hope, Hannah's mom and dad have hope. Not prepared to answer the question.

Couldn't hear the next question

Question about the restaurant saying that Hannah never went inside. LE not in a position to question the statement by Tempo
one witness will put her inside the restaurant.

If there are any reports of a third person there when Hannah gets into JM's car. We need to know that.

Q: Is it possible that DNA from JM is linked to Morgan Harrington?
A: I am not going to answer that.

JM had a drivers licence that was reissued. I don't know if he had his passport with him or not. I don't believe so.

Investigators have spoken to family members and I won't discuss the substance.

With respect to the individuals in Texas, they will bring him back to Virginia.
There are people recanvassing for video, people searching, many things are taking place at the same time, we are in the stage of preparing for trial.

Q: Reporter says he had two sources tell him that early in the evening before HG went missing JM was at his apartment with a white woman. Do you have any information about this?
A: I do not have any information about this.

We have no idea why HG was in that area.

I so respect that he continuously brings the topic back to Hannah in spite of the continued persistence of trying to inject MH into forefront. Thank you, Chief

Longo referred to HG in the past tense -- her parents want people to know who she was.

He said they want everyone to know who Hannah Graham 'was'. We all know what it means to speak of her in the past tense... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa