JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone found any eivdence yet if JLM lived in the Fairfax, VA area on or around 2005?

There really isn't a way a person can recognize evil or know who will become a serial rapist or a serial killer if that turns out to be the case. Most of them do not look like monsters. That is just a myth and maybe people want to believe that thinking they can identify evil by sight even though it is impossible.

Many killers just like JM held down steady jobs and hid in plain sight for many years before being caught. GR was just a regular guy who was married with children and had worked at the same job for 35 years.

It seems killers like this lives double lives. Around family and friends they don one mask and appear to be what they know others wants them to be. But the other life they live is filled with evil thoughts and they carry out their heinous crimes in the cloak of darkness going undetected for many years.

They seem to be able to compartmentalize their lives. That is why it takes years to catch them. On a daily routine they seem just like everyone else. JM knew the best way to go undetected was to carry on with his daily life.

But even killers like JM get sloppy. When they are not detected for years it brings on arrogance and narcissism making them believe they are untouchable and that is usually their downfall. It seems JM felt he had become so skilled at finding and taking lone females so that he could rape and murder them that even taking Hannah would be achievable and wouldn't be tied to him. Killers are never as smart as they think they are. A lot of them were just lucky because they had no personal link to the victims themselves. It is hard to track someone down when there isn't a familiar connection between the perp and the victim. And like other killers before him, JM, finally made a mistake.

He knew his DNA wasn't in any data bank and even though they had the DNA profile of the rapist in 2005 and knew the same person had murdered Morgan they have to have a DNA profile to match it to and didn't have it ...........well until now.

Imo, I believe that is why JM pretended to be contrite when he assaulted the lawyer in the road rage incident. He did this to ensure he wasn't in any data system and if convicted of assault then he felt they would most likely enter his profile in the system. He, like others like him, are very manipulative and that is one of the reasons they go for years without being caught.

I really don't think JM ran around with thugs. Imo, he was the only hiding in the midst of his friends. He sheltered himself by hanging out with others who were not like him. So I think everything they found in his car is linked to him.

I don't believe in coincidences especially when it comes to criminal cases and juries don't either.

The reason there is a link to the rape case in 2005 and Morgan's murder is because he is the one who has perpetrated all of these crimes and possibly even more. IMO

I don't think anyone here has said they don't want him to get a fair trial. All of us knows that a trial must be fair in order to stand up under appeals. IMO From what I have read his lawyer is one of the best in the state. It will be up to him to see JM has a fair trial. That is his job and I am sure he is up to the task.

I rarely see overzealous prosecutions especially in recent years. What I have seen on rare occasion is where jurors seem to be clueless about what the state really has to legally prove and has overburdened the State ending in a very controversial verdict but those times are very rare. Most jurors are intelligent enough to make solid decisions based on the overwhelming amount of evidence entered at trial. I don't see this case or the cases to come against MJ being any different.

The presumption of innocence is for his jury only and it is at the very start of any trial because evidence hasn't been entered. Once the evidence is entered and it shows guilt the POI erodes away.

It isn't a coincidence that MJ is tied to all of these cases. I think many here already knew there would be other crimes he has committed and once he was caught that would be known to LE.

One doesn't become like this overnight at the age of 32. I think it may have even started earlier than 2002 when he raped the young woman on campus. And yes I do believe he is guilty of that also.

I also want to know why he suddenly left the other college. By the college's statement something is up there too and they said they are cooperating with LE. I think there is a 'story' there also.

There is an obvious long pattern of behavior when it comes to JM and none of it is pretty. A gentle giant he is not. He just hid behind that act to deceive others.

IMO

Bravo OBE! What an insightful post! I believe JM was egotistical and a narcissist. Just take a look at his HS yearbook pics. So much praise was heaped upon him, he was practically a local hero, beyond reproach, IMO. When I saw those YB pics, I realized a couple of things.....1) No young woman would stand a chance against this guy.....2) Monsters walk among us. I worked with one and while I thought he had evil eyes (BTK eyes), he was thought very highly of by his co-workers, some even sang in a gospel group with him, until he was arrested and sent to prison. 3) JM was in the Outdoor club in HS. I hope LE is following up on any areas this club may have visited because Morgan was found in an area familiar to JM and we've got to find Hannah! 4) I also wonder if his religious teachings were that a woman should be submissive to a man. Here's a link to the pics that were posted in the JM thread.

http://imgur.com/a/7FXt4#Udt3e6V

Just looking for clues, anything that could help us find Hannah!

Was the AK farm where he took MH's body for disposal, or did he commit the rape/murder there as well?

Only JM and possibly investigators know for sure, but here is some info that may help, galaxygal. Keep in mind that JM honed his skills with each innocent victim taken. He became more investigative aware and likely learned from his prior mistakes. Imo, investigators likely located an abduction/kill kit when JM's vehicle was searched; zip ties/hand cuffs, stun gun, rope, duct tape, etc.. jmo

http://prtl.uhcl.edu/portal/page/pct/USN/TheSignal/Life?articleId=402

<sniped & BBM - read more>

Egger says, serial killers continue to kill because some aspect of the murder fulfills a psychological need, either the way in which the murder was committed, or what was done with the body afterwards. Discovering the actual motive is never easy. "It's always a problem trying to figure out why these people do what they do," Egger said. Many had terrible childhoods and were sexually abused, but that is not always true.

Not only is it difficult to figure out why serial killers continue to kill, it is also hard for law enforcement agencies to identify a serial killer due to "linkage blindness," another term coined by Egger. "Police don't share information across jurisdictional boundaries," Egger said. "There's always some friction there." Agencies prefer to worry only about their own jurisdiction, instead of sharing information to work together to solve a murder.

Egger says a serial murder investigation may, but not always, have as many as seven different crime scenes: the place the victim was initially lured, transportation to a different location, the place the victim was kept, transportation to another location, where the victim was killed, where the body was dumped, and where the weapon was dumped. "In most instances all the police have is the dumpsite," Egger said. Egger says the other crime scenes are never investigated because of linkage blindness and the fact that law enforcement officials usually treat serial murder as a single homicide. "But if you find out that you're talking about multiple dumpsites in different jurisdictions, then you have a higher possibility of coming up with some trace evidence, particularly in the first kill," Egger said.

"The offender brings something to the crime scene, leaves something at the crime scene, and takes something away from the crime scene," Egger said when explaining his three part premise of a crime scene and the reason there is not always a lot of trace evidence. "If you have someone who is aware of that, who is careful, and you're only dealing with one dumpsite, and you're treating it as a single homicide, you have no way of managing your suspects," Egger said. Egger says a typical homicide is not difficult to solve because you are simply dealing with people's alibis, and the person without one becomes the prime suspect. However, in a serial murder you do not have that.

"All crime is serial in nature," Egger said. "Most criminals, if not caught, will repeat their crime.

otto

The picture you put up the other day a map of were Morgan's body was found, it showed crime scene investigators there. It is my opinion that she ran to that area that she was found. If you look left of the large cedar tree and follow it straight across, that is a fence line if I am not mistaken. A barbed wire fence no less. When looking at maps of this/that area and you see a string/line of trees/scrubs it's pretty much a fence line and 5 will get you 10, it barbed. So I guess what I am saying is that I do not think that he took her to that spot, she ran and that is where he caught her. That is my opinion after looking at that area, with that said I walk a creek bottom with my husband, it's over 2 miles long, private property of course and have to multiply pieces of large tracts of land in the general area of charlottesville, I honestly do not think he took her to that spot. jmo idk

Elley Mae, You are not alone in that thought. I have often wondered if Morgan escaped and ran for her life and he caught up to her and brutally killed her and left her there.

otto

The picture you put up the other day a map of were Morgan's body was found, it showed crime scene investigators there. It is my opinion that she ran to that area that she was found. If you look left of the large cedar tree and follow it straight across, that is a fence line if I am not mistaken. A barbed wire fence no less. When looking at maps of this/that area and you see a string/line of trees/scrubs it's pretty much a fence line and 5 will get you 10, it barbed. So I guess what I am saying is that I do not think that he took her to that spot, she ran and that is where he caught her. That is my opinion after looking at that area, with that said I walk a creek bottom with my husband, it's over 2 miles long, private property of course and have to multiply pieces of large tracts of land in the general area of charlottesville, I honestly do not think he took her to that spot. jmo idk

Very good theory there..it does seem hard to believe he would've carried her thru all that no matter how big he is..

Yes! I am feeling overwhelmed and barely slept myself. My mind has been racing as well. I can not begin to imagine what Hannah's family and Morgan's family must be going through. I have gone through many emotions since learning of the forensic link. Glad he's behind bars, and relieved somewhat for the Harrington's because I know they needed to have Morgan's killer brought to justice. Their mission for the last five years was to stop this monster so another young woman wasn't taken from her family. Then my emotions shift to sadness for Hannah because this doesn't bode well for her or her family. She is most likely gone like Morgan. I am also angry because this guy has been living in plain sight all along - right there in Charlottesville - didn't anyone suspect him? I have read too many articles where friends of JMs have come out and said things like - I'm paraphrasing here...but things like "We joked with JM when the composite sketch came out and told him he was a spitting image of that sketch" and further went on to say that "JM grew his hair out after that and shaved his beard." In one interview one of his friends said that JM would go out on the prowl - I think even calling him "a prowler" or whatever and seek women out who were vulnerable to "increase his chances" or something to that effect. I mean....HELLO. Like I said in the last thread...no one wants to believe one of their friends could commit such a horrible crime...but goodness....there he was - right there! I don't know about most people...but if there was a brutally murdered girl in my town and I had a friend who very much resembled a composite sketch, who had a history and "prowled" around for vulnerable women - I would not hesitate to call in a tip to LE!!!

I agree totally. When the friend told JM that he looked like SKetch--and then, he grew his hair and shaved his beard--why didn't she pick up the phone and call the police?!? Also, the way his friends knew he was a "prowler" why again, didn't they let the police know this?

I pray that HG's body is found soon.

I'm glad they got this monster off the street.

Is anyone else feeling completely overwhelmed by this? I slept for about 4 hours last night as my mind was racing. I just feel like my mind is completely blown by this. I always held a bit of hope that when they ran JM's DNA they would find a match with what they had from Morgan and the 2005 rape, but I just couldn't let myself believe that they would be linked. Now I'm just stunned. Five years of hoping that the creep who slaughtered Morgan would trip up and make a mistake. And he has! Seriously, I just can't believe this has happened.

Yes, once again, I heard it on WS. Busy all day yesterday and didn't watch the news or read the boards, then saw the bombshell this am! I also followed the Morgan Harrington case relentlessly...I live close by. I have to say I have been very discouraged, thinking they would never find her killer. And I was so surprised that things were going so much faster and evidence was much more forthcoming in Hannah Graham's case. I really, really, really hope this is the break for both of these cases, and for the young lady from Fairfax.

Very good theory there..it does seem hard to believe he would've carried her thru all that no matter how big he is..

Me too. I could almost see him coaxing her to go with him to an isolated spot so they could drink...until he could take her back to JPJ to meet her friends after the concert. He makes advances in the car on that farm road, she rejects him, he grabs her, she runs and he ends up catching her and stomping and killing her right there in that field. :(

I'll bet LE thought that JLM was the cuplrit because the woman in Fairfax ID'd him when LE had a picture of him (way before it was made known to the public that JLM was a POI).

otto

I think he forced her out to that spot so that he could "control" her in secluded place, in an area that he was comfortable and familiar with. At first I interrupted the site as the place he tried to hide the body (not sure why I latched onto that idea). I now think it's the spot he continued his assault after he conned her into accepting a ride. I also don't believe MH went out into that field willingly.

otto

I totally agree. He may have slowed enough on that nearby road or maybe even pulled over to sexually assault her and she may have bailed the car and took off running.

Your theory makes the most sense to me of where she ended up.

Very insightful, Otto. Do you think he held MH and possibly HG in a secluded home somewhere? He would have to hide them somewhere in order to spend time with them.

Can't link it at the moment but I watched the WTVR report yesterday which I know is linked on one of these threads and I found it interesting the reporter stated that the State Police knew about this link for some time now or something of that nature but they didn't report it out of respect to the investigation..you can watch it for yourself to see exactly but I thought that was interesting..this wasn't some result they just got back yesterday..

I totally agree. He may have slowed enough on that nearby road or maybe even pulled over to sexually assault her and she may have bailed the car and took off running.

Your theory makes the most sense to me of where she ended up.

The spot she was found was over a mile from the road, and would have required her to traverse terrain that included steams, and other "obstacles". I also don't think she could outrun this guy even with a head start. A former long time athlete and footballer, even with the extra weight he's put on since then, I suspect he would have no problem quickly catching up to her on foot, in the dark.. on terrain that was unfamiliar to her (but not to him). I think he knew exactly where he was taking her once he had in in the car and that was way out into the woods where he could brutalize, rape and murder her w/out chance discovery by a passerbyer (ie. the 2005 assault in fairfax).

I wonder if he purposely chose Fairfax as the location of the 2005 rape so he wasn't on his own doorstep. Maybe he wasn't as confident as he became by 2009, and wanted some distance between himself and the rape.

The spot she was found was over a mile from the road, and would have required her to traverse terrain that included steams, and other "obstacles". I also don't think she could outrun this guy even with a head start. A former long time athlete and footballer, even with the extra weight he's put on since then, I suspect he would have no problem quickly catching up to her on foot, in the dark.. on terrain that was unfamiliar to her (but not to him). I think he knew exactly where he was taking her once he had in in the car and that was way out into the woods where he could brutalize, rape and murder her w/out chance discovery by a passerbyer (ie. the 2005 assault in fairfax).

When you are literally running for your life, you will be surprised how fast + far you can run. Depending on where the car was when she left the vehicle does not necessarily mean she had to jump too many fences.

I also dont remember if it was moonlit night that night, but that was discussed at the time too whether there was enough moonlight to see a little.

I just dont see Morgan allowing herself to be walked that far away from that car, and I also dont think this perp patiently waited to begin trying to sexually assualt her. I believe he made his move on her while in the car, and she wanted no part of it and took off. Or she bailed when the car was slowed down enough because she may have realized he was driving her out into the boondocks. I think she finally realized she was in a very bad situation.

JMO of course.

I read somewhere that 3-party DNA (not belonging to either Morgan or the perp), possibly from vomit, was found at the crime scene when MH's body was recovered, potentially from a witness to the crime.

I'm trying to retrace the link to that article, but having trouble finding it now, argh. Maybe someone else who has been following MH's case closely would know?

Here's a letter from the lead investigator into MH's murder, Lt. Joe Rader, which strongly suggests he had reason to believe that there's someone with intimate knowledge of the crime (which isn't the same as DNA, of course, but all I could find for now. Sorry!):

http://www.readthehook.com/files/article-documents/news-joeraderlettermain.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member