JLM: What Do We Know About Him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. That's the surest way to make sure you don't get to question a potential perp. Hook them up with a free lawyer on demand the minute they walk through the door. :banghead: I've never heard of such a thing, and I've followed a lot of cases. And as evidenced in this case, doing what he 'demanded' backfired badly. He didn't talk to them at all.

I'd be infuriated as a tax payer in that community thinking my local LE (and tax dollars) are working as a middlemen assisting possible criminals lawyer up when charges might be pending but no arrest has been made. :furious:

I've had the nagging suspicion he had advice to play the situation to his advantage soon after he appeared on the video. He may have known how to rape and kill, but not the fine points of the law. Does it have significance if he did? I don't think it was his current lawyer.

Certainly appreciate your sharing your perspectives. But some of what you're saying above isn't jiving with my understanding of the history of the case. I'm on my way out the door, so I don't have time to pull up past links for you, but you can browse through these threads and see a lot of good info. For example, LE already had warrants to search his car and apt BEFORE JM skipped town. It's pretty clear to many of us who've followed this case closely that the reckless driving charges which led to a nat'l search were clearly not the point of their search--- it was, as you've said, all LE could find to pull him in for. But the point is that there is a reason they wanted JM apprehended ASAP. After JM was apprehended, forensic links to MH were made public.

My point is that, if you follow many of the facts in the case, it doesn't- IMO-point to a witch hunt. It shows a LE who knew more information than MSM did and who, retrospectively, did a good thing by making the search for JM national. It's looking very much like JM is a potential serial killer. Hence..... would make sense that someone like that would rank as a top 10 wanted fugitive if they'd fled town...

Also, slightly unrelated, but MO is that JM did in fact NOT follow his atty's advice when he decided to stay quiet and go on the run. I cannot fathom an atty giving advice to flee town. JM didn't follow anyone's advice but his own at that point.... IMHO.

but it could have been a friend who told him to run

I've had the nagging suspicion he had advice to play the situation to his advantage soon after he appeared on the video. He may have known how to rape and kill, but not the fine points of the law. Does it have significance if he did? I don't think it was his current lawyer.

JMO

I believe someone in his family convinced him to go to the station. I think he may have called the attorney who worked for him w/the assault and larceny charges. She advised him not to talk to police without an attorney present. So he goes in and blurts out he wants an attorney.

Again, JMO.

So, what do you think is the explanation of the forensic link to MH then? Just wondering how you think that fits in to the theory that LE could be unfairly accusing JM of intending to abduct HG.

I am not exactly implying that LE has been unfair. I am sure they are suspicious and have at least one data point that COULD point to possible abduction, coupled with the fact that he ran, supported their course of action.

As to explaining this Link. The answer to that really delves into the debate about MSM presentation of VSP statements. It's like the telephone game...spokesperson Geller first said, (snip) “Last week, the arrest of Jesse L. Matthew Jr., 32, of Charlottesville, Va., provided a significant break in this case with a new forensic link for state police investigators to pursue."

This direct statement was haphazardly and widely morphed by MSM to say, "forensic Evidence" or "DNA evidence" "DNA Link" or "forensic evidence found" and even quite boldly it has been reported "DNA match" -etc. All of these MSM outlets have reported such things as fact. When the truth is, we have no idea whatsoever what Ms. Geller was referring to by her statement.

I noticed that MSM also reports that he, "is the last person to see her." Whereas he is simply the last known person to see her that we know of.

Perhaps Ms. Geller's original words were chosen very carefully, and she used proper definition of the word, "forensic" to mean simply that it has to do with the courts or legal system -one data point, one link that is worth investigating. I keep in mind that there is and was a lot of pressure on LE to apprehend a perp in all open cases in the community.

Thanks for challenging me, MJPeony. I am just seeing this go in one direction 100% so fast and furiously, and people seemingly taking every item of information about this man and making it fit, or trying to make it fit, into the scenario of guilty as charged as a serial rapist/murderer -whereas he may just be a big lug who has had some bad luck, perhaps highly misunderstood, gets a little road rage once in his life, and trying to hook up with younger girls inappropriately. And what type of predator serial killer goes out wearing white clothing and crocs?

I think my irritation on this point, and why I am posing an alternative, stems from watching LE in Oregon making zero point zero progress on finding young Kyron over the last 4.5 yrs by focusing 100% on Terri Horman -and the media and social media so quickly assumed guilt. Not sure if other POIs were appropriately followed up on, tho there are others, and other possibilities.

Has it been confirmed that HG never had a previous encounter with JM before the night she went missing?

say one of his good friends is a lawyer...he could have gotten help or advice from that individual

Has it been confirmed that HG never had a previous encounter with JM before the night she went missing?

it's unlikely she did
she lived in a different town and had only come to cville with her friends for a concert... with plans of going back to her town to college that night...when the concert ended

In the City of Fairfax case, there was a male (neighbor) witness as well.

I wasn't aware of that. Was that information ever made public - a name? I wonder if he has been in contact with LE as well. So many questions ...

it's unlikely she did
she lived in a different town and had only come to cville with her friends for a concert... with plans of going back to her town to college that night...when the concert ended

Are you speaking of MH or HG?

it's unlikely she did
You are referring to MH, not HG.

it's unlikely she did

Paulap, you are speaking of Morgan Harrington here, yes?

it's unlikely she did

You are confusing our current missing person, Hannah Graham, with Morgan Harrington who, while a student at Virginia Tech University (VT), went missing after attending a concert at UVa's JPJ arena in 2009.

It is helpful when we WSers check our facts before posting. . . .just sayin'

Madilu-

Thanks for taking the time to flesh out your thoughts more. I agree that it's easy to jump on a bandwagon of accusations toward a singled-out suspect. I've tried multiple times myself to make JM an innocent, but dunce-y, "gentle giant". It wasn't until the MH link (whatever one may believe it to be) came out that I started having a hard time denying what I believe is JM's guilt. Then, when all the rape charges, etc started coming out, and eyewitness reports of violence at Tempo, it changed my views even more.

(also I do think a serial killer can wear white and crocs btw)

So we disagree on several things, but I hear you- thanks for bringing up some interesting thought processes!

I wasn't aware of that. Was that information ever made public - a name? I wonder if he has been in contact with LE as well. So many questions ...

IIRC, it was quite well established at the time that the perpetrator of the rape took off because he realized he was being *observed* by this male neighbor. . . .

*I.e., the male neighbor became aware that something was going wrong with his female neighbor, not that he saw anything per se. IIRC, the neighbor held his ground until the perpetrator stopped his attack and ran off. . . .

IIRC, it was quite well established that the perpetrator of the rape took off because he realized he was being observed by this male neighbor. . . .

Hmm, I remember reading that the perp was scared off by someone who was passing by, but I don't recall that anyone other than the victim had a close look at perp's face. :thinking:

Not sure that the neighbor could identify the perpetrator, but quite sure that he knew his female neighbor was being assaulted. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88