Malaysia airlines 370 with 239 people on board, 8 March 2014 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s equivalent to someone at one of the piers of San Francisco’s Golden Gate bridge picking out a compact disc case on the opposite side.

Maybe I need another cup of coffee this morning, but this sentence threw me until I realized they're saying, "someone at one END of the bridge picking out a compact disc case at the opposite end."

I hope they're searching in the right place. The independent scientific team headed by Duncan Steel believes the most likely location is further south, along the 7th arc. So far as I know the ATSB has not responded to the independent group's statement... but, significantly, the ATSB seems to have shifted the bathymetric survey further south. The attached image shows the independent group's predicted location (IG); the red marks show the ongoing bathymetric survey. The graphic is from Steel's site.

View attachment 60633

Thanks
I had posted quite awhile ago that I believed/or felt that the plane went into the water further south west than where the searching was being done...
Thanks for posting the picture...that is about the area I was thinking and I hope they take into serious consideration the Duncan Steel probable end point

Thanks
I had posted quite awhile ago that I believed/or felt that the plane went into the water further south west than where the searching was being done...
Thanks for posting the picture...that is about the area I was thinking and I hope they take into serious consideration the Duncan Steel probable end point

I agree & hope they take it into consideration & look there 1st

Well, they have been saying that they are going to go further south than first planned, and are still refining the search area and still surveying further south, along the curve of the arc .... so it sounds as though they are in at least relatively close agreement and have similar findings to the results calculated by the scientists on the Duncan Steel site.

Last Updated: 1 October, 2014
Based on these refinements, the Search Strategy Working Group is finalising its latest assessment of the highest priority areas for the search, which will most likely extend south of the previous ‘orange’ priority area.

http://www.jacc.gov.au/families/operational_reports/opsearch-update-20141001.aspx

October 6, 2014
We have a high probability that the aircraft will be found at the southern end of that long arc.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/05/world/mh370-next-search-phase-begins/

Well, they have been saying that they are going to go further south than first planned, and are still refining the search area and still surveying further south, along the curve of the arc .... so it sounds as though they are in at least relatively close agreement and have similar findings to the results calculated by the scientists on the Duncan Steel site.

I do wonder if they adjusted after seeing the work the scientists put into it. Would be foolish to not consider it; especially since they did not have to pay any consulting fees.

I do wonder if they adjusted after seeing the work the scientists put into it. ....

The independent scientists (Independent Group, IG) are wondering too, I believe... but so far as I know, there's been no official communication between the ATSB and the IG... other than to deny requests for information that hasn't been publicly divulged.

Search vessel Go Phoenix set to work early yesterday at its designated site 1800km southwest of Perth, using sensitive sonar gear to look for objects resembling a Boeing 777.

Mr Dolan said the advice they had indicated the sea floor was well compacted, and any wreckage was unlikely to be buried under layers of silt.
“The experts tell us significant parts of the aircraft wreckage will be sitting out (of the sea floor),” he said.

Of most interest to searchers, is the flight data recorder which is expected to provide an explanation to the mysterious disappearance of MH370.
Mr Dolan said there was no reason why they would not be able to extract data from the device, despite the length of time it has presumably been underwater.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...ircraft-if-found/story-fnizu68q-1227081806695

I do wonder if they adjusted after seeing the work the scientists put into it. Would be foolish to not consider it; especially since they did not have to pay any consulting fees.

I am so glad that we have the resource of the Duncan Steel website to follow during this aviation mystery. They have been able to give us great insight into how the scientists who work for the search analysis team are arriving at their calculations and results. And the Duncan Steel scientists have agreed with the search analysis team scientists since the more-detailed ping information was released later in the piece.

This gives me great confidence that the search analysis scientists are extremely knowledgeable, and are analysing, reviewing, and re-reviewing the data, and doing the best job possible according to current human capabilities. I don't believe the Duncan Steel scientists are better, or are coming up with different answers at this point, but I think they are equally extremely knowledgeable, and really really really naturally inquisitive. I'm glad they are publicly blogging.

The search zones have been published. Fugro Discovery is now going to be leaving Perth on Saturday to join the search. GO Phoenix is yet to see anything of interest. They are still working on refinements with the search zones, and may alter them, moving further south in the wide arc.

The latest analyses indicates that the underwater search should be prioritised further south within the wide search area for the next phase of the search. The ATSB has published MH370 – Flight path analysis update to supplement the previously released report MH370 – Definition of Underwater Search Areas, which describes the continuing work.

Work is continuing with refinements to the analysis of the satellite communication system messages. This ongoing work may result in changes to the prioritisation and location of search activity.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/mh370.aspx

277669-7497a976-4eae-11e4-bcd5-de8bc4352854.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...nvestigators-say/story-fnizu68q-1227084277721

The US PBS network is broadcasting a one-hour Nova special on MH370 tonight (Wednesday, October 8, 2014). If you can't watch it live, PBS sometimes puts their shows up on their web site for a week or so after the broadcast. Click the link to watch the preview.

Here's the description:

"The disappearance of Flight MH370 stunned the world. In an era of smart-phones and GPS, how could a 270-ton passenger jet vanish into thin air? It was a rude awakening for all of us, showing just how far we are from the world we imagined we lived in—in which every move is monitored all the time. NOVA tells the inside story of the search for Flight MH370 and meets the key players from all corners of the globe who have spent months searching for the lost plane. In the search for answers, we'll reveal how today's planes must fly through vast radar "blind spots," and investigate new technologies that could allow ground stations and satellites to track planes automatically, without pilot intervention, even in remote areas with no radar coverage. What will it take to guarantee that in the future, nothing will ever be 'lost' again?"

At this link they have two maps .. the first is of the original area, surveyed over the past several months, to be searched ... the second is of the current surveyed area to be searched. It shows how much further south they have shifted the search zone. It is a significant shift.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...finding-MH370-think-searching-wrong-spot.html

The ATSB team deserves a heck of a lot of credit for being willing to own up to some very expensive mistakes and make the needed adjustments, without worrying about covering their behinds! In my experience with bureaucracies, this is, ah, somewhat unusual.

On PBS last night they had a program about this. I found out that there was a CD you could buy and even clips on youtube showing the inside electronic rooms under the plane. It showed how to get in there, the equipment, and a portable laptop that you could use to run the plane COMPLETELY shutting off the cockpit.

Why in the world is this stuff on the internet?

On PBS last night they had a program about this. I found out that there was a CD you could buy and even clips on youtube showing the inside electronic rooms under the plane. It showed how to get in there, the equipment, and a portable laptop that you could use to run the plane COMPLETELY shutting off the cockpit. Why in the world is this stuff on the internet?

This is something of a scandal in the aviation industry, as I understand it... the vulnerability has been known for many years and the philosophy has been, I believe, that an exploit would be exceedingly unlikely, given that somebody would have to open the compartment door in full view of the first class passengers and cockpit crew.

Addendum: For more on this, see the excellent article by Ben Sandiland in his Plane Talk column (July 23, 2014)

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/mi...led-sea-when-fuel-ran-out-atsb-report-n221956

Flight MH370 Spiraled Into Sea When Fuel Ran Out: ATSB Report

. Flight simulations recreating the final moments of the aircraft, which vanished March 8 en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur, suggest it entered “a descending spiraling low bank angle left turn” and hit the ocean “a relatively short distance after the last engine flameout,” the Australian Transportation Safety Bureau (ATSB) said in an update [PDF link].

ATSB Updated report Oct 8, 2014

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5163181/AE-2014-054_MH370 -FlightPathAnalysisUpdate.pdf

Duncan Steel: "Well, it’s a new (update) report from the ATSB, but it doesn’t contain much actually new, because the Independent Group (IG) had already reached essentially the same conclusions and published them here a couple of weeks ago. One wonders whether the two might be related?.... Below we (the IG) show how our recommended end point relates to the location that the ATSB has belatedly arrived at, after wasting millions of dollars surveying a wide area much further NE."

IG-End-Point-validated-by-ATSB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members