Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I yi yi. That "temperature" threshold thing is really REALLY upsetting me. So if you report a temp one or two degrees lower than the threshold temp but you had close contact with an Ebola patient - you are still OK by CDC standards to fly. Last time I checked -your temperature doesn't go from normal to 101 in a matter of seconds. They tend to climb degree by degree over a matter of time. Arrghhh. The more info that comes out. The more irked I'm getting.

I'd be nervous if I lived in Dallas I guess, but I don't and really I'm quite the recluse...so no panic here. But I do feel badly for anyone who thinks that they may have had contact with Duncan, Nina or Amber. THAT is scary. JMO

I do live in Dallas, and while I'm paying really close attention, in general, I'm not nervous about personally contracting it. I haven't been around Duncan's body fluids, nor the body fluids of any other infected or exposed person's fluids. That's right now, depending on future developments, who knows.

I posted earlier that when my daughter, who had visited me the very weekend Duncan went to the ER and was sent home, got sick this week, I had a few hours of crazy. I knew I was being crazy, though, vs. being remotely rational.

I see intense interest on all this in Dallas. There is concern for all the people infected and potentially infected. There is concern for the economy, the well being of our community. I'm not connected with any Dallas specific social media, so I can't give that perspective. But I'm observing NO panic. Stores are well stocked; no one is raiding them for water and canned goods. People seem to be going about their business as usual. People are going to the State Fair, they are going out to eat at restaurants, etc. If that changes, I'll come back to note that.

I get WFAA alerts (Channel 8, Dallas) on my phone. Every time I get one, my heart stops, because I think it will be one stating that another nurse is ill. It's bound to happen. Nigeria had 20 cases before they finally got a grip on it. It's a possibility, given the numbers of caregivers involved with Mr. Duncan.

I'm praying for both nurses and all of the Presby folks who are undoubtedly nervous and going through a stressful time as they are monitored/monitored themselves.

CNN now reporting that AV had been ill for THREE DAYS before she took the flight to Dallas.

I think we cannot link to reddit, but if you google the phrase "reddit iama ebola vaccine" the thread with the young man participating in the Ebola vaccine trial should be the first result that turns up. He submitted proof to the moderators and links to it, so it's as verified as it can be over the interwebz. Says the trial is through NIH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I yi yi. That "temperature" threshold thing is really REALLY upsetting me. So if you report a temp one or two degrees lower than the threshold temp but you had close contact with an Ebola patient - you are still OK by CDC standards to fly. Last time I checked -your temperature doesn't go from normal to 101 in a matter of seconds. They tend to climb degree by degree over a matter of time. Arrghhh. The more info that comes out. The more irked I'm getting.

It really bothers me too. I am one of those people that has a low normal temperature. My normal is 97.5 So if my temperature was 99.5 that would be a fever.

Because the CDC told her it was ok.

Right. If the CDC says it's okay...then everything must be OK ;) I guess my mind just works differently. Personally, if that were me - I would have not flown. I wouldn't need to call the CDC. Just the fact that I treated a patient who died from Ebola and working with a co-worker who contracted it would tell me all I need to know. I would hunker down at home and isolate myself from others, but that's just me.

On the subject of how advanced or not Amber's illness was, even though those suits are really bulky and ungainly, the way she was walking getting on and off the 'plane just made me think that she already looked quite poorly. But then I think weakness and severe pain can come on quite early, so maybe she looked quite 'normal' for early stages.

I have just read the post up thread which says CNN are saying Amber had been ill for three days. I really hope they would not make something like that up. If true, it would explain the desperate scrambling to find people from the bridal store and 'plane.

What a mess.

I am very keen to know exactly what went wrong at the hospital and get to the truth of the matter. I never thought the CDC PPE recommendations were right - could not understand why they weren't recommending a coverall hood.

I read one link on here which almost seemed to suggest that when Thomas D had been admitted the second time, although he was put in isolation, people did not wear PPE when dealing with him until his diagnosis of Ebola came through. I really, really hope I misread that, because if true then I think it was criminally negligent of the hospital authorities to allow that. Surely, you operate on the assumption that your patient has got Ebola until a negative test result allows you to 'stand down' the barrier nursing?

Mind you, even when they did wear PPE, since the CDC saw fit to dispense with the need for hoods it wasn't exactly great.

Honestly - what does the CDC think everyone is staggering about in the full PPE in Africa for? It certainly isn't for the fun of it - why would Ebola in Africa require that level of protection but Ebola in the US not? I just can't fathom what they could have been thinking of.

I think she was in denial.....the alternative was too awful to think about. UGH JMO
Me too. Can you imagine her (any HCW's) feelings about it after watching first hand all the unspeakable agonies Duncan suffered? :(

Right. If the CDC says it's okay...then everything must be OK ;) I guess my mind just works differently. Personally, if that were me - I would have not flown. I wouldn't need to call the CDC. Just the fact that I treated a patient who died from Ebola and working with a co-worker who contracted it would tell me all I need to know. I would hunker down at home and isolate myself from others, but that's just me.

She might be very black and white. If the CDC says there is no risk of contagion until a temp of 101.5, she believes them.

On the subject of how advanced or not Amber's illness was, even though those suits are really bulky and ungainly, the way she was walking getting on and off the 'plane just made me think that she already looked quite poorly. But then I think weakness and severe pain can come on quite early, so maybe she looked quite 'normal' for early stages.

My understanding from all of the reading that I've done, is that the decease progresses from the initial low fever/general aches and pains to feeling really bad in about 4 to 6 days. Sorry I don't have any links. There was a really good piece outline the progression on a show by Rachael M. (sorry I don't know her name) but it was posted here earlier today.

When was NINA admitted? It sort of sounds like they got sick about the same time. I wonder if they worked together or knew each other...maybe the "breach" happened to both of them. Some incident? Just guessing. JMO

When was NINA admitted? It sort of sounds like they got sick about the same time. I wonder if they worked together or knew each other...maybe the "breach" happened to both of them. Some incident? Just guessing. JMO

Nina got admitted on Friday the same day that Amber started "feeling funny".

I thought the President was holding some sort of press conference on this. Did he and I missed it and there was nothing of interest or hasn't it happened yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆