Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well fortunately it isn't - and the spread so far, although utterly heart-breaking confirms that it cannot be airborne (for now anyway) or the rate and spread of infection would be many, many times greater than it is.

Thanks for reminding me of that fact. I'm still not happy with the fact that my dh attended a meeting tonight with a woman who just returned from Africa. Apparently, she was not in an affected area, but who knows who she came in contact with, while there, and on her way back here? I wish she would have just stayed home. And, frankly, I'm kind of p!$$ed that she didn't, given what's going on. Just to keep the calm.

Sean Kaufmann on CNN now. He was in charge of Brantley's care. He slammed the CDC earlier today in the NYT. He just called the CDC irresponsible and dead wrong

How does the blood transfusion of a previous infected patient help with the virus/ healing process? Sorry if this has been explained before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They got transfusions of blood plasma from the previously infected person, not whole blood transfusions. Blood is composed of two main parts-blood cells and blood plasma. The blood cells include red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets. The blood plasma contains antibodies and other proteins, and a few other substances. The previously infected person's immune system developed antibodies to fight off the ebola. These antibodies are contained in their blood plasma, so that's why they give that plasma to the new patients, hoping those antibodies will fight the new patient's ebola. Hope this makes sense.

It was heartwarming to see the support given to Nina (and also to Amber in her absence) this afternoon.

Ladies, get better. The world needs more lovely ladies like you.

Last Rep who spoke smacked down the CDC for not apologizing. Said he was grateful that the hospital apologized.

Yep, heard this while running my afternoon route...almost soiled my drawers AND aspirated the soda I was drinking at the same time when I convinced myself that I had REALLY heard what he said!!!

As always, JMO, IMHO, and all necessary disclaimers,

Westie Mom

Sorry if this was addressed. Was Amber with her fiancé while in Ohio? Where his he now? I'm guessing if she hadn't seen him for some time before that they might have been intimate. Maybe not,but I'm sure there was some heavy making out at least. Either way,there was probably more than casual contact. So is he quarantined?

Sorry if this was addressed. Was Amber with her fiancé while in Ohio? Where his he now? I'm guessing if she hadn't seen him for some time before that they might have been intimate. Maybe not,but I'm sure there was some heavy making out at least. Either way,there was probably more than casual contact. So is he quarantined?

They haven't mentioned her fiance at all on the local news.

Mayor of Dallas was just on CNN and said he has implemented new guidelines for the 50 odd people who had contact with Duncan - they are not allowed to go out into public - no grocery stores, no church, no school, etc. Let me go fetch a link.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/?iref=allsearch

What? So not only healthcare workers but the other patients in the hospital need to be monitored. I literally am afraid to read the next head line at this point. This is a joke.
There is an election in 3 weeks. Every person with a job today who is a part of this bumbling , ball dropping clusterFbomb needs to be replaced in November.

I didn't know the head of Presb. Hospital is elected.

Mayor of Dallas was just on CNN and said he has implemented new guidelines for the 50 odd people who had contact with Duncan - they are not allowed to go out into public - no grocery stores, no church, no school, etc. Let me go fetch a link.

How are they going to eat etc?
What about their immediate family? Will they be wondering around willy nilly? If they're in the same house How's that going to work?

Here's a copy of what they had to sign. Not a very good copy though...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413508720.166862.jpg

Got an automated call from our school district saying at this time no student has been in contact with anyone who has Ebola or anyone who has been in contact with anyone with Ebola. They are working with the Tarrant County health department to be kept informed daily. If any student were to go to Ebola areas when they come back they will be screened before allowed back at school.

Asked us to monitor our children and any slight symptom of any illness to keep them home. Asked us to go over proper hand washing.

The things I've had to be notified of from the school. Seems each yr tops itself. Dreading next yr. LOL

How are they going to eat etc?
What about their immediate family? Will they be wondering around willy nilly? If they're in the same house How's that going to work?

??? have no idea ??? Hopefully Dallas will see to their needs so that nobody will starve to death. He said people will be checking in with each of these folks each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288