Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harmony 2

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Continue discussion here...

1) Blogs must be approved before posting.
2) Please read your post before hitting reply. If your post is personal to someone else, don't post it.
3) Posts about the political aspects need to be taken to the designated area on the forum.
4) Post responsibly by linking to information.
5) Keep information relevant to the disease and steer away from bashing victims, conspiracy theories and race.

The guidelines above have been posted several times; therefore, any infractions will result in time-outs.

Mod note: Please include links for uploaded thumbnails and all photos. Photos without the source linked will be removed.

Mod note: Please include links for uploaded thumbnails and all photos. Photos without the source linked will be removed.

Uhoh. I might have broken that rule. I put up two URLS that were off of fb , but each was a document sent out by a school district with header at the top of stationery. :(

Apparently on fox right now... NIH docs giving update on Nina. I don't have TV on sorry.

Also, Obama has appointed a lawyer and formed Biden chief of Staff as Ebola czar.

No link yet. Ap posted on twitter.

First on CNN: Obama will name Ron Klain as Ebola Czar

By Jake Tapper, Chief Washington Correspondent

updated 10:49 AM EDT, Fri October 17, 2014

Washington (CNN) -- President Barack Obama will appoint Ron Klain his "Ebola czar," knowledgeable sources tell CNN.

The president on Thursday signaled his openness to the idea to have one individual coordinating the entire federal response to any threat of an outbreak in the United States...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/politics/ebola-czar-ron-klain/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Hatfield said:
It really is unbelievable. If they would have just required and forced the initial people that had contact with Duncan to be monitored in a secure setting for 21 days, it would have prevented so much.

Obviously the problem is the immense CDC stupidity that has been on display at almost every turn.

The problem isn't with the care-givers, who followed instructions, took an abundance of caution, and did everything they were instructed (and beyond) by the CDC's supposed "experts." They were told to check in daily, watch for symptoms, and that they weren't contagious unless they had a temp of 100.4 or higher, and yet Amber double- and triple-checked to make sure it was okay to take her return flight when she had a fever of only 99.5.

If they get someone in charge who actually has a clue, it appears to me like there wouldn't be a problem. Let's recognize that hospitals using their own protocols like Emory, NIH, and the one in Nebraska have had no problem keeping care-givers safe or containing problems through multiple cases.

As far as the idea to quarantine everyone with contact for 21 days, while it seems easy, it's not practical, especially given the fact that the ones at greatest risk are the caregivers not others. With that sort of 21-days-for-all-no-matter-what format, you couldn't really treat ebola patients on an ongoing basis, as each and every caregiver would have to be almost permanently isolated and work about 10 days on a patient after which they sat out for 21. Or else, they work with ebola patients and NEVER have contact with the outside world. Either way, you'd quickly run out of nurses willing to help, under that sort of setup.

Every Ebola case in the US was the result of being in close proximity to an Ebola patient in the later highly infectious stage of the disease. This includes the medical staff flown in from Africa for treatment, Thomas Duncan who helped a neighbor, the two nurses who were treating Duncan and the news photographer who had been working in the hot zone of African clinics. This disease is devastating, but it not as easy to catch as the flu.

First on CNN: Obama will name Ron Klain as Ebola Czar

By Jake Tapper, Chief Washington Correspondent

updated 10:49 AM EDT, Fri October 17, 2014

Washington (CNN) -- President Barack Obama will appoint Ron Klain his "Ebola czar," knowledgeable sources tell CNN.

The president on Thursday signaled his openness to the idea to have one individual coordinating the entire federal response to any threat of an outbreak in the United States...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/politics/ebola-czar-ron-klain/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Wonder what qualifies him to be in this position?

I had no idea there was all this random vomiting going on in buses and planes.

Maybe someone with medical background can explain this to me. Nina has been downgraded from good to fair. Is there a universal way a hospital evaluates someones status? Are their specified criteria or is it subjective? I thought the Drs in the presser were very vague as to why she was downgraded. I almost got the impression they wanted to say that they differed from Pres. Hosp.,but wouldn't do that.
Alos has their been an update on Amber today?

I had no idea there was all this random vomiting going on in buses and planes.

If you've ever taken a subway or bus home at night you've seen not just all kinds of random vomiting, but worse... :help:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member