Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
CDC revises ebola PPE guidelines again:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/...for-ebola-patients-call-for-complete-coverup/

After all the smug statements from the CDC about how any hospital in the country can handle an ebola patient, how many times have they revised their guidelines just since patient zero? This is the kind of thing that results in massive mistrust of anything they're telling us about this disease.

If healthcare workers simply follow the CDC guidelines, they'll be safe. Right, we've seen how well that worked out.

Not infectious before you're symptomatic. True? Maybe, maybe not, but I can't trust that the CDC actually knows this.

Safe after 21 days with no symptoms? True? Maybe, maybe not, but I can't trust that the CDC actually knows this.

Can't be spread through casual contact? True? Maybe, maybe not, but I can't trust that the CDC actually knows this.

The CDC has stated a lot of things as facts that I just can't believe they know for certain, because they seem to know so much that ain't so. I'd really rather they tell us that they don't know or aren't certain, rather than be told a lot of things as fact that may or may not be true.

Safe after 21 days with no symptoms? True? Maybe, maybe not, but I can't trust that the CDC actually knows this.

We know that is not true, studies have shown the incubation time can be 40+ days.

We also know the whole temperature thing is vague at best, 12% of sick/contagious Ebola patients do not have a temperature.

The boyfriend? Rumors crafted from baseless assumptions. He is probably one of the people being monitored, which entails checking in daily and perhaps limits on travel. Maybe. There are 120 of those. And there are 5 HCW who worked with Duncan still in the 21-day period. It's unclear how many of those are in some sort of isolation or quarantine, but none have shown symptoms or tested positive.

Steve there are VALID reasons to suspect that is in fact the case. Rumors have been around for days and the judge was OBVIOUSLY flustered when asked about it. He was already on the watch list so there would be NO NEED to publicize his health status.

Sonya, there are absolutely NO reasons to think that he has ebola. None. Other than a desire to deal in fear-mongering, of course.

I have watched Clay Jenkins for years, and you (for whatever reason) greatly mischaracterize his demeanor. He is measured and careful, because of people who are eager to pounce on any misstatement if made, and even moreso with all the fear over these recent medical mistakes. He was careful and deliberate today, and that's the norm.

We know that is not true, studies have shown the incubation time can be 40+ days.

Egg-zackly. So why are these isolation periods and quarantines only 21 days? Why are they reporting that people are out of the woods and ebola free after 21 days?

We also know the whole temperature thing is vague at best, 12% of sick/contagious Ebola patients do not have a temperature.

And all they're screening for at the airports is temperature. It's pretty much guaranteed that more people with ebola will enter the U.S. They'll show up at random local community hospitals and walk-in clinics and doctor's offices, who will have insufficient PPE and insufficient training.

If you go back in the thread to where Nina was dx'd and hospitalized... her bf was isolated in the hospital also, at that time, per msm reports.

Yes, I remember that was reported. I think that is where the rumor started.

Egg-zackly. So why are these isolation periods and quarantines only 21 days? Why are they reporting that people are out of the woods and ebola free after 21 days?

And all they're screening for at the airports is temperature. It's pretty much guaranteed that more people with ebola will enter the U.S. They'll show up at random local community hospitals and walk-in clinics and doctor's offices, who will have insufficient PPE and insufficient training.

My understanding is that 95% of cases occur within this 21 day period. Which is why they decided to go with this period for quarantine.
But some cases do occur after 21 days. So the risk is not at zero.

I know strep throat is not the same thing, but some people don't show any symptoms but can pass it on.

My two youngest was getting strep every time they turned around and they were not in school. I Made the doctor test my oldest foster daughter. she kept saying she is showing no signs.. I said i don't care test her. she finally did,still shaking her head. she walked back in the room with her head down and asked me where i got my medical degree. she tested positive for strep throat with no aboustly no symptoms

since ebola makes your bleed, someone like my husband probably would not have a chance if he got it because he is on blood thinners for a heart cond.

Here is a good article explaining incubation period.

"Data from the current outbreak support a wider range as well. For the first nine months of the current outbreak, "roughly 5 percent of people reported having incubation times greater than that [21 days]," said Haas. That number comes from the World Health Organization and the New England Journal of Medicine."

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/...y-ebola-incubation-period-?linktype=hp_impact

Sonya, there are absolutely NO reasons to think that he has ebola. None. Other than a desire to deal in fear-mongering, of course.

I have watched Clay Jenkins for years, and you (for whatever reason) greatly mischaracterize his demeanor. He is measured and careful, because of people who are eager to pounce on any misstatement if made, and even moreso with all the fear over these recent medical mistakes. He was careful and deliberate today, and that's the norm.

I respectuflly disagree because the letter from his employer (unless it was a forgery) indicates he has been hospitalized to be monitored as a precaustion. Since the other monitored people are told to self monitor mostly at home, it does make me wonder why his case is different.

I posted a link before that had the actual letter.

I respectuflly disagree because the letter from his employer (unless it was a forgery) indicates he has been hospitalized to be monitored as a precaustion. Since the other monitored people are told to self monitor mostly at home, it does make me wonder why his case is different.

It's not different. Other hospital employees that came in contact with Mr. Duncan are also quarantined in the hospital. Last I read there is around 30 people quarantined in that hospital. Employees asked the hospital to do that so in case they do get Ebola they don't infect their families.

Perhaps he is already on medication or has a health issue that makes him a higher risk patient?

I know strep throat is not the same thing, but some people don't show any symptoms but can pass it on.

My two youngest was getting strep every time they turned around and they were not in school. I Made the doctor test my oldest foster daughter. she kept saying she is showing no signs.. I said i don't care test her. she finally did,still shaking her head. she walked back in the room with her head down and asked me where i got my medical degree. she tested positive for strep throat with no aboustly no symptoms

since ebola makes your bleed, someone like my husband probably would not have a chance if he got it because he is on blood thinners for a heart cond.

That happened to me last summer! I got strep and had no sore throat but just a swollen gland.

Regarding news conference, I hope that comment on "middle schoolers" doesn't rile up the PC crowd.

Please could you explain - not in the US.

What was the comment and which PC crowd would it rile up and why?

In the UK the 'PC brigade' is used as a derogatory term for people who object to negative stereotyping of black/gay/foreign people, so I am wondering whether something is getting lost in translation or if there is some context I have missed.

TIA

If it really is her boyfriend, and if he really does have ebola, this would be major. Allegedly, you're not infectious before you're symptomatic, and it's been reported that Nina checked herself into the hospital as soon as she developed the fever. So when and how would her boyfriend have become infected? Before she was symptomatic?

I have heard nothing about the bf in days. I just scanned the sites of the 3 big cable news networks and see nothing about him. Alcon released a statement last week saying he had taken himself to hospital for monitoring but had shown no signs of virus. So if that has changed or is not the latest, I heard nothing .

It's not different. Other hospital employees that came in contact with Mr. Duncan are also quarantined in the hospital. Last I read there is around 30 people quarantined in that hospital. Employees asked the hospital to do that so in case they do get Ebola they don't infect their families.

Oh...Ok....I did not know that others were actually admitted as well. 30...wow. I had not heard that. Thanks.

I think it is wise to do that during the monitoring period.

I read the CDC procedure about "contact monitoring" and it seems if they change their process right from the beginning and really isolate any initial contacts, it would really help. Instead of having 800-1000 people they had to track down, they could have kept that to a handful if they would just change that process to really isolate them right from the start.

Hmm, I wonder if Presby , now a ghost town but for ebola monitored folks, has said something akin to ' if you are unsure or afraid of self monitoring, you can come to the hospital and be monitored by staff'. ** speculative *** But there are some people who may not trust themselves to monitor slight change in fever etc. There are some folks who were far more heavily exposed than others. If I were on the ' watch list' and was a very nervous type person , I might consider going to a hospital setting instead to have around the clock monitoring by health professionals. Again, I'm purely speculating as to why some are in hospital and others are at home.

Also to the poster who said cable news is saying the bf has ebola, please link that up.

Oh...Ok....I did not know that others were actually admitted as well. 30...wow. I had not heard that. Thanks.

I think it is wise to do that during the monitoring period.

I read the CDC procedure about "contact monitoring" and it seems if they change their process right from the beginning and really isolate any initial contacts, it would really help. Instead of having 800-1000 people they had to track down, they could have kept that to a handful if they would just change that process to really isolate them right from the start.

After Nina Pham got Ebola, CDC changed who they consider high risk. So employees who were not considered at high risk are now considered at high risk.

Hmm, I wonder if Presby , now a ghost town but for ebola monitored folks, has said something akin to ' if you are unsure or afraid of self monitoring, you can come to the hospital and be monitored by staff'. ** speculative *** But there are some people who may not trust themselves to monitor slight change in fever etc. There are some folks who were far more heavily exposed than others. If I were on the ' watch list' and was a very nervous type person , I might consider going to a hospital setting instead to have around the clock monitoring by health professionals. Again, I'm purely speculating as to why some are in hospital and others are at home.

And maybe for some that want to protect other members of their family as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie