Luka Magotta AKA Eric Newman Trial, Week beginning Oct 13, 2014 - Trial Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOTE:
I've asked Salem to lock this thread later today and open a new thread for us for next week.

NSU :)

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 12s 12 seconds ago

A user had to put the file into the trash, witness says #Magnotta
0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites
suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 34s 34 seconds ago

You've heard about people who can break into US government or even in Canada into big banks? Absolutely, witness says #Magnotta
suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 2m 2 minutes ago

But you agree that there's a lot of things you can use on your own, Leclair says. Then makes jab at crown for not really being computer guy
0 replies 1 retweet 1 favorite

Do you like computers, Leclair asks. Love them, witness says. You must have met other guys, gals who love them too? Leclair asks Hackers?
0 replies 2 retweets 1 favorite
suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 10m 10 minutes ago

Laptop in Berlin had one such program installed, Massa says #Magnotta
suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 10m 10 minutes ago

There were 2 programs on laptop in garbage that erases certain data on computer, like internet history #Magnotta

That's the end of this witness #Magnotta Next up is recorded testimony from Paris and Berlin. break first #Magnotta

NOTE:
I've asked Salem to lock this thread later today and open a new thread for us for us next week.

NSU :)

Thanks! It will get totally confusing if we don't start a new thread for next week. Easier to back track and find stuff if we have threads for certain time periods to refer to. :)

quick recap:
-No evidence of the film being uploaded to the internet could be found on laptop
-Images and photos of interest found on laptop from Berlin, not on one in garbage
-Song used in video (True Faith - New Order) uploaded to computer April 8, 2012. Deleted July 1
-The crown is done. Defence is now questioning witness
-Asking about the picture of the mystery man. Was found on laptop.
-Leclair demands witness to repeat something in plain english, after witness talks about meta data
-Leclair points out that Catherine is a character from movie Basic Instinct, after the witness said he did not know who Catherine is. Password on computer was Toronto44.
-Leclair asking if the photos found on computer were from the camera. Yes.
-Witness explains files are not identical by 'digital hash' or fingerprint, but visually are identical
-Leclair points out that the line about killing not like smoking is a line said by Catherine from the movie.
-Witness being asked about programs that erase data, such as Track Eraser Pro. Laptop from Berlin had TWO installed.
-Leclair asks if data that has been deleted can be undeleted. Theoretically, yes.
-Leclair asks witness if he likes computers, if he learned a lot on his own, and if he has met hackers :facepalm:
-Defence done. Witness is also done
-Recorded testimony from Paris and Berlin after break.

(sorry, not too many tweets, and they seem to be repetitive and slightly confusing. Was easier for me to just type out points. Will edit this post when anything new pops up, as the few reporters that are tweeting keep repeating the same points. And I am posting in my own words, not copying/pasting the tweets without crediting the journalist.)

Break over. Continued...

-First, recorded testimony from taxi driver who picked Magnotta up from airport in France on May 27 2012. Witness' name is under publication ban.
-Describing Magnotta. Paid fare, gave tip. Seemed normal. Nothing suspicious. Nothing special.
-Leclair wanted him to go to Montreal, but he works and is not interested in losing money.
-Magnotta was merely a client, but later recognised him on TV and pictures
-Witness done. Video recorded June 19, 2014.
-Next witness from Paris' name is also under publication ban. Testimony video recorded on the same date as the last. Hotel manager.
-Also recognised Magnotta from media
-The witness called police
-Magnotta paid for 9 days stay at hotel, identified himself with 'Kirk Trammell' passport
-Magnotta never checked out, left belongings behind
-Seemed normal, not nervous, but sweating
-Witness finished.

**Please read from Bottom Up**
~ Still can't do it ~

GlobalNews

amy minsky
@amyminsky

(Sorry, didn't mention, but the names of these witnesses are under a publication ban.)
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Soummam hotel close to Novotel, witness says. Says he can't remember exact date when first met #Magnotta , but it was day he rented room.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Second French witness, recorded same day as first, June 19, 2014. He was manager at the second hotel #Magnotta stayed, just outside paris.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

That's all for him. Judge tells jury that during testimony, there was a screen where witness could see #Magnotta and vie versa.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

And that's why he had no interest in travelling to Montreal to testify. #magnotta
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

On x-exam, man who drove #Magnotta from Paris airport to hotel says he's independent - if he doesn't drive in Paris he doesn't make money.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Says he drove #Magnotta to Novotel. He gave me 5 euros extra than fare. "He was nice, he asked if he could smoke, he gave me 5 euros tip."
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

The first is from France, man describing height, general appearance of #Magnotta . "In shape, nothing special."
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Jury's back. We're going to listen to recorded testimony from Europe. #Magnotta

I'm still editing post on page 21. Thanks to people who are posting tweets. It is easier for me to just grab points and post them like that. I'm such a scatterbrain! :happydance:

**Please read from Bottom Up**
amy minsky
@amyminsky

Next witness from France, whose name also falls under the publication ban. This testimony was recorded June 23, 2014. #Magnotta
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

The Mickey Mouse top police recovered in that room. #Magnotta was seen wearing this on airport surveillance footage.

Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Police have testified #magnotta bought his plane ticket using his own name and travelled with a passport bearing his name.

amy minsky
@amyminsky

When he rented the room he offered a passport. Hotel manger says #Magnotta used name Kirk Trammel. Thinks that was also name on passport.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Witness asked when #Magnotta left the hotel for good. Says hotel layout allows for people to come and go without being seen all the time.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Witness says #Magnotta rented the room for nine days, paid >400 euros in cash.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

View of the room #Magnotta ow.ly/i/7kWLe rented at the Soummam hotel in France after fleeing Canada.

I'm still editing post on page 21. Thanks to people who are posting tweets. It is easier for me to just grab points and post them like that. I'm such a scatterbrain! :happydance:

^^ I'm liking this 'summary points' idea ^^
Tweets confuse me :giggle:

quick recap:
-No evidence of the film being uploaded to the internet could be found on laptop
-Images and photos of interest found on laptop from Berlin, not on one in garbage
-Song used in video (True Faith - New Order) uploaded to computer April 8, 2012. Deleted July 1
-The crown is done. Defence is now questioning witness
-Asking about the picture of the mystery man. Was found on laptop.
-Leclair demands witness to repeat something in plain english, after witness talks about meta data
-Leclair points out that Catherine is a character from movie Basic Instinct, after the witness said he did not know who Catherine is. Password on computer was Toronto44.
-Leclair asking if the photos found on computer were from the camera. Yes.
-Witness explains files are not identical by 'digital hash' or fingerprint, but visually are identical
-Leclair points out that the line about killing not like smoking is a line said by Catherine from the movie.
-Witness being asked about programs that erase data, such as Track Eraser Pro. Laptop from Berlin had TWO installed.
-Leclair asks if data that has been deleted can be undeleted. Theoretically, yes.
-Leclair asks witness if he likes computers, if he learned a lot on his own, and if he has met hackers :facepalm:
-Defence done. Witness is also done
-Recorded testimony from Paris and Berlin after break.

(sorry, not too many tweets, and they seem to be repetitive and slightly confusing. Was easier for me to just type out points. Will edit this post when anything new pops up, as the few reporters that are tweeting keep repeating the same points. And I am posting in my own words, not copying/pasting the tweets without crediting the journalist.)

Break over. Continued...

-First, recorded testimony from taxi driver who picked Magnotta up from airport in France on May 27 2012. Witness' name is under publication ban.
-Describing Magnotta. Paid fare, gave tip. Seemed normal. Nothing suspicious. Nothing special.
-Leclair wanted him to go to Montreal, but he works and is not interested in losing money.
-Magnotta was merely a client, but later recognised him on TV and pictures
-Witness done. Video recorded June 19, 2014.
-Next witness from Paris' name is also under publication ban. Testimony video recorded on the same date as the last. Hotel manager.
-Also recognised Magnotta from media
-The witness called police
-Magnotta paid for 9 days stay at hotel, identified himself with 'Kirk Trammell' passport
-Magnotta never checked out, left belongings behind
-Seemed normal, not nervous, but sweating
-Witness finished.

Continued... (will edit as I go along)

-Next witness, name under publication ban, recorded June 23, 2014
-Was in plane next to Magnotta on trip to Paris
-Magnotta hiding his face with his hair. He seemed strange.
-Witness slept most of the trip
-Magnotta said he did not speak French
-Magnotta kept hand to face, got up once
-Witness says Magnotta was thin at the time, but now he is fat :laughing:
-Leclair asked witness what was strange about Magnotta's behaviour. Hiding his face, nervous, anxious.
-Magnotta slept, looked out window. Didn't eat, watch inflight movie. Changed seats.
-Magnotta apparently not feeling well, according to flight attendant
-Witness done. Next also from France, sold ticket to Berlin to Magnotta on May 31 2012
-Testimony taken on June 25, 2014
-Magnotta was wearing makeup
-Name on passport, Kirk Trammel. Claimed he was 26 years old
-This witness also points out that Magnotta was thinner then :laugh:
-Leclair suggests to witness it wasn't a passport and asks if witness made a copy. No.
-Asked why witness recognised him days later. Because of makeup, androgynous look

Done for today, back monday morning.

** Bottom Up :smile: **

amy minsky
@amyminsky

What did you find weird about #Magnotta ? His comportment, he just seemed like a bizarre person.

amy minsky
@amyminsky

On cross examination, defence asks witness about reading the reports, watching the news and realizing he'd sat next to #Magnotta

amy minsky
@amyminsky

A few days later, witness says, he saw the picture of #Magnotta .
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Witness says he saw #Magnotta coming down the aisle of the plane and thought him odd. Witness slept through much of the flight, he says.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Witness says #magnotta was hiding his face with his hair, a bit discreet.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

This man was on a plane with #Magnotta , sitting in a row of three between a friend and the defendant.

** Ditto **

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Leclair says he finds it surprising the agent remembered things about #Magnotta but wasn't interviewed until June 4.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

There were 58 people on the bus. how many bought their ticket from you? Witness says they can find out, but he doesn't know.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Prosecution finishes questioning ticket agent. Leclair begins cross-examination. #Magnotta
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Witness says he recognized #Magnotta after seeing the photos on news.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

The name and passport matched, under name Kirk Trammel, witness says. Passport was possibly burgundy, don't remember. #Magnotta
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Says #Magnotta paid for his ticket in cash, asked for ID, because the name on ticket has to be the name of the person travelling. #Magnotta
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

They spoke in English, agent says. Describes #Magnotta as a bit feminine, proper, takes care of himself, styled eyebrows.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Next recorded testimony in France June 25, 2014. He sold ticket to #Magnotta at Paris bus station to Berlin on may 31, 2012.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

That's it for this witness, on to next one from France. #Magnotta
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

#Magnotta had changed seats at landing, flight attendant said he wasn't feeling well, witness tells defence lawyer.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Leclair also focused on #Magnotta 's behaviour/demeanour during flight to Paris. Did he eat? Did he watch movies? What did you find bizarre?

amy minsky
@amyminsky

Leclair asked this witness, who's a paediatric nurse, whether he's ere seen a paranoid schizophrenic. Says may have, since did a psych stage
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

What did you find weird about #Magnotta ? His comportment, he just seemed like a bizarre person.
Oct. 24, 2014

amy minsky
@amyminsky

After seeing pictures on news, witness went online to look for other pictures. Called friend to ask whether he also thought it was #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 1m 1 minute ago

Last name? Don't remember. Kirk Trammell? Yes. #Magnotta

Made out ticket to Kirk ....something... Why remember Kirk? It's not a common name. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 2m 2 minutes ago

Says passport was burgundy coloured, doesn't remember nationality. #Magnotta

Witness says #Magnotta was there about 15 minutes, paid 70 euros in cash. Gave name, but agent asked for document. Got passport.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 4m 4 minutes ago

I recognized #Magnotta in pictures, with makeup, well defined eyebrows, appearance a bit feminine, took care of himself.
0 replies 1 retweet 0 favorites

Did #Magnotta have luggage? NO, maybe a satchel. Spoke English.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 5m 5 minutes ago

May 31, 2012. Witness was counter agent who sold Berlin same day bus ticket to #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 6m 6 minutes ago

Next up, Jean-Philippe Lethon. Testimony taken June 25, 2014. #Magnotta

The trial in Montreal in September, did police ask you to testify? No. Would you accept? He hesitates. Doesn't know. #Magnotta

But at first, you didn't remember him? No, surprised I'm the one who sold him a ticket. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 3m 3 minutes ago

So how come you recognized him later? Because of makeup, androgynous look? Yes and saw him in video surveillance too. #Magnotta

Behaved ok with you? Yes. #Magnotta

Kirk is easier, though not common in France. #Magnotta

If I asked you how Trammell was spelled, you couldn't say? No. #Magnotta

You didn't take down birthdate from passport? No, just asked name and age, to speed things up. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 5m 5 minutes ago

Back to passport. I suggest to you it wasn't a passport. You didn't make a copy? No. #Magnotta

Remember what #Magnotta wore that day? No. But you remember his made-up face? Yes.

Also saw video surveillance and recognized #Magnotta too.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 7m 7 minutes ago

Photos to identify #Magnotta came from highway safety patrol.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 8m 8 minutes ago

So if I asked who bought tickets before #Magnotta, you couldn't say? Leclair asks. No.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 8m 8 minutes ago

So sold how many tickets May 31? Don't remember, can sell about 50 a day. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 9m 9 minutes ago

What surprises me is the exchange with #Magnotta, police only saw you June 4, a few days had passed, Luc Leclair says.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 9m 9 minutes ago

On passenger list, #Magnotta travelling as Kirk Trammell, 58 passengers. How many bought tickets with you? Don't remember, could be online.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 10m 10 minutes ago

Crown done, defence next. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 10m 10 minutes ago

No, it's a travel agency in 18th arrondissement, we can see these types of people in the neighbourhood daily. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 11m 11 minutes ago

Any other infos about impression of #Magnotta?
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 12m 12 minutes ago

He didn't check birthdate in passport. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 12m 12 minutes ago

There are fares for those under 26. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 13m 13 minutes ago

I asked him age at the time, he said he was 26. #Magnotta

Recognize #Magnotta on the video link hookup screen? Yes, but he was skinnier then.

Heard about the case a few days later in the media. Saw photo too. Recognized #Magnotta later.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 15m 15 minutes ago

Last name? Don't remember. Kirk Trammell? Yes. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 15m 15 minutes ago

Made out ticket to Kirk ....something... Why remember Kirk? It's not a common name. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 16m 16 minutes ago

Says passport was burgundy coloured, doesn't remember nationality. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 16m 16 minutes ago

Witness says #Magnotta was there about 15 minutes, paid 70 euros in cash. Gave name, but agent asked for document. Got passport.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 17m 17 minutes ago

I recognized #Magnotta in pictures, with makeup, well defined eyebrows, appearance a bit feminine, took care of himself.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 18m 18 minutes ago

Did #Magnotta have luggage? NO, maybe a satchel. Spoke English.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 19m 19 minutes ago

May 31, 2012. Witness was counter agent who sold Berlin same day bus ticket to #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 20m 20 minutes ago

Next up, Jean-Philippe Lethon. Testimony taken June 25, 2014. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 24m 24 minutes ago

Witness says he didn't want to come to Canada to testify because he's got a phobia about flying. Witness testimony over. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 26m 26 minutes ago

Flight attendant said #Magnotta wasn't feeling well.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 27m 27 minutes ago

Witness remembers friend asked #Magnotta in English if he wanted to eat and he said no.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 28m 28 minutes ago

He didn't seem to watch the inflight movie, have a laptop, didn't eat? No. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 29m 29 minutes ago

And if he wasn't sleeping, he was looking out the window? Yes. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 30m 30 minutes ago

Statement says "young man was sleeping for a good part of the time." #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 31m 31 minutes ago

So #Magnotta was very thin? Yes. Hair medium length? Yes. Light coloured pants? Yes. Wasn't looking closely.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 32m 32 minutes ago

So #Magnotta had no sunglasses? Don't remember.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 33m 33 minutes ago

Know people who are paranoid schizophrenic? I suppose, I've seen some at work during psychiatric internships. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 34m 34 minutes ago

So what was bizarre about his behaviour? His attitude, hiding his face with hand, seemed nervous, anxious, strange. #Magnotta
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 35m 35 minutes ago

So you called Interpol that night? Yes. #Magnotta

Magnotta trial Day 17 is over. Back on Monday. #CJAD
0 replies 2 retweets 2 favorites

Video testimony appears to be over. Judge bids the jury farewell until Monday when they resume. #Magnotta
0 replies 2 retweets 3 favorites

Witness looking at statement. Sees statement where he says #Magnotta wasn't wearing sunglasses.

You also said in statement that #Magnotta didn't wear sunglasses? Doesn't remember. Getting out police statement.

By video conference? Yes. #Magnotta

Well, that is done for the weekend. Hopefully I didn't mess up the summary points too badly. Sorry I couldn't be more useful, posting tweets and stuff.
I swear, by the end of this, I am going to be near fluent reading French. While I wasn't using the French tweets for the points I typed out, I have been reading them. They're starting to make sense now!

And Magnotta must be mortified by his weight gain (and everybody noticing). That stupid ugly striped tank top won't fit him now, from the sound of it!

:loveyou:Thanks everyone for posting or summarising the tweets, it's very much appreciated!

I did take a look at Sue Montgomery's twitter feed this afternoon and saw that she was getting quite a bit of criticism from people who either 1. Thought Magnotta has been framed! 2. Thought she shouldn't be posting the gory details 3. Thought LM is obviously a monster
I'm not on twitter or I would send her a thank you for her coverage, I think she's doing a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea