Ebola outbreak - general thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
My doctor and his wife are both doctors. They are extremely good people in my view. I had to go in to see him a few days ago because it was time to renew my prescriptions. He and his wife actually go overseas every summer on their vacation with other doctors. They have been doing this for almost 20 years.

I actually asked him if he and his wife went this year. He said no, they did not go the end of August because he felt that his first loyalty was to his patients here in the United States. They would not risk bringing any contagious disease back here. There were several doctors from a
tri-state area that did not go because of this. These doctors felt a greater responsibility to their patients here. I admire and respect the work they have all done in underprivileged countries, but even more respect their decisions concerning this year.

I think my doctor was rather candid with me because I have known he and his wife for 28 years and we go to the same church. He actually delivered my first grandchild 26 years ago.

I believe this nurse, Kaci, has done a great thing by volunteering her nursing capabilities in that country, but at least be proactive in protecting her family, friends, and the general public now that she is back here. By not agreeing to a 21 day quarantine now that she is back is a very selfish and careless thing in my opinion. I honestly do not understand what her thought process is. Maybe she is not carrying the disease and will not get it, but WHY take the chance? She DID have a temperature upon arrival back to the United States.

My own mother was a registered nurse since the age of 25. She feels the same way I do and doesn't mind saying it.

This is my opinion and throw tomatoes if you want to. I make a mean spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes!

MOO

Thank you for your eloquent, calm, respectful and helpful post. Even if I may not agree 100% with all you said it is my pleasure to converse with you and listen well to all you say.

I beg to differ.

I think it is highly irrational to start banning people from schools because they happen to have been in the same city as a hospital where someone was treated, or on a ship with someone who worked in that hospital, or simply because they have returned from an African country which is free from Ebola. It is utterly ridiculous.

Who said anything about schools? I certainly did not.

Who said anything about schools? I certainly did not.

You were responding to a post which included this

People get nasty when they are afraid. And with Ebola we have a full raging and totally irrational panic

Your response was that you did not think it was irrational.

I was just saying that I think there are definitely some aspects of what is going on in the US at the moment which are totally irrational and gave a couple of examples.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.or...ons-health-care-workers-returning-west-africa

October 29 Statement on Regulations for Health Care Workers Returning From West Africa

October 29, 2014

Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) strongly disagrees with blanket forced quarantine for health care workers returning from Ebola affected countries. Such a measure is not based upon established medical science.

Kaci Hickox has carried out important, lifesaving work for MSF in a number of countries in recent years, and we are proud to have her as a member of our organization. MSF respects Kaci’s right as a private citizen to challenge excessive restrictions being placed upon her.

MSF supports and implements scientifically grounded monitoring measures for all returned aid workers. This is in accordance with the recommendations of public health experts.

Since the beginning of MSF’s response to the outbreak in West Africa in March, the organization has been actively engaged with health authorities in the United States and abroad to develop and improve appropriate and effective monitoring measures to protect aid workers and public health.

Quarantine will only undermine efforts to curb the epidemic at its source in West Africa, as MSF announced on October 27.

Since the beginning of the outbreak, MSF has admitted more than 4,900 patients to its Ebola treatment centers in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone, where MSF currently employs 270 international staff members and more than 3,000 locally hired staff.

Ahhhhhh now the panic zone has expanded to 10 miles NASA is gonna be busy flying everyone oto the moom!

Heck the direct impact from small nuclear explsions is less than 10 miles -- this is late night tv material

Saw that too, and it's awful. She was nowhere near Mr Duncan or Presbyterian! I think though that it was reading about the kids that did me in. Poor kids probably just want to get back to school and see their friends, and they are kept home because of the ignorance and fear of other parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just saying that I think there are definitely some aspects of what is going on in the US at the moment which are totally irrational and gave a couple of examples.

Cool to each their own..... :peace:

That is BS that by quarantining her it will cause hardship on the war on Ebola. That is crap!!!!! How could that be???? By making it harder for the health care workers to get back into this county??? They should have thought this out before they went to fight a war that didn't exist in the country. This is all so stupid. I was alive when we had to have smallpox vaccines. This was not a small thing on a kid. It was a big shot, a big scab and a big scar. Why would you want to come into our country with even a small chance that you could be carrying a disease that does not exist here???? And you are a health care provider??? This means to me that you care about yourself more than you care about the health of others.

I stand by my comment... I don't think people are being irrational Just cautious....as they should be...

That is BS that by quarantining her it will cause hardship on the war on Ebola. That is crap!!!!! How could that be???? By making it harder for the health care workers to get back into this county??? They should have thought this out before they went to fight a war that didn't exist in the country. This is all so stupid. I was alive when we had to have smallpox vaccines. This was not a small thing on a kid. It was a big shot, a big scab and a big scar. Why would you want to come into our country with even a small chance that you could be carrying a disease that does not exist here???? And you are a health care provider??? This means to me that you care about yourself more than you care about the health of others.

it seems incongruous to say that someone who travels halfway around the world and puts themselves at great risk to care for sick people they do not know is the type of person who cares more about their own health than the health of others... no?

I am not afraid of ebola at all. Just trying to get a handle on what posters supporting the nurses position are saying. Should we allow anyone coming in contact with ebola to decide whether to monitor themselves or be quarantined? If that's your position, fine. Just trying to understand.

I will just say that I also have several nurses in my family - some for over 30 years and my niece is in her first year....I have asked them and not a *single* one of them thinks that it is irrational to require health care workers to be quarantined upon their return. I do NOT want this to be the case but all it will take is ONE child to come down with this virus after contact with one of these selfish people..... and the rest of the nay sayers will change their mind.

We don't want to think of the worst case scenarios but isn't that the prudent thing to do? On one side of the scale we have a nurse who has to stay in her house a few days and we have a Dr. who cannot go bowling and on the other side we have the LIFE of an innocent American citizen - perhaps a young child - there is no contest!

it seems incongruous to say that someone who travels halfway around the world and puts themselves at great risk to care for sick people they do not know is the type of person who cares more about their own health than the health of others... no?

What I am saying is not someone who goes to help others, but someone that that has been in contact with a contagion that has not been on American soil is threatening other Americans that have not put themselves in harms way. How is that fair??? I have not been to an Ebola stricken nation or been in contact with others that have had Ebola. She has!!!!!! She should by all protocol be in isolation for at least 21 days. She has no right to be out in the pubic.

BBM - I don't think she cares more about her health nor does that lying doctor in New York - what they care about is the ability to go do what they want to do, when they want to do it, without any inconvenience!

I think she got great satisfaction & payoff in her job. I'm leery of people that claim they are altruistic.

I am not afraid of ebola at all. Just trying to get a handle on what posters supporting the nurses position are saying. Should we allow anyone coming in contact with ebola to decide whether to monitor themselves or be quarantined? If that's your position, fine. Just trying to understand.
Good luck...I tried to understand how anyone could support the nurses position, yet I still don't.. There is no good reason for her attitude and her actions.. In my eyes, she went from a hero to a spoiled brat in 5 minutes!.

Good luck...I tried to understand how anyone could support the nurses position, yet I still don't.. There is no good reason for her attitude and her actions.. In my eyes, she went from a hero to a spoiled brat in 5 minutes!.

Yep - she is a showboater for sure - not sure what her motivation might be...maybe $$ from a law suit, or fame from all of the attention, or trying to make some political point but one thing is for "dang sure" (my grandaddy's phrase) - her motivation is NOT to protect the lives and health of American citizens!!

Friendly reminder:

Let's go easy on each other please. Emotions are running very high in this topic and tension appears to be building with differing opinions, but we are all entitled to our thoughts and opinions. Please continue to keep this discussion civil and avoid sarcasm and snark. If you feel you are getting aggravated with a poster's opinion then scroll and roll, use the ignore feature or take a little break.
:tyou:

i dont understand why so many people in support of quarantines for asymptomatic people accept the 21 day quarantine, it clearly should be 42 days or even longer right?

even tho the infection rate in the 21-42 day period is much smaller we are still talking about ebola right? any risk is too great... 42 days or longer would be the safe way to go no?

and what about in the past, all the doctors and nurses, media people, clergy that have been in close contact with patients in areas where ebola has been present. any of those people who knew of the risks and did not self-quarantine for at least 21 days upon their return to the US... clearly negligent and dangerous right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998