Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 6- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good questions. JMO and Ill take a shot at them.

1-The affect on closing was what I bet the judge did not even consider. This decision could have very serious effects on this whole trial now.
I think it was wrong in the first place to not allow videos just like the first trial. Why do things differently and give the defense an argument that the 1st trial should not have had videos either. The judge could have/should have allowed video of the trial just like first phase because of the public's interest in the case. Public has a right to see the trial and video is not different than being present in a seat IMO.

Its only the jury that has to be directed to avoid media and discussions about the case.
Again, no different than other trials, so it should not be treated differently.

Judge could have sequestered the jury if she was so worried about stuff. Instead, she is sequestering the public.

2-Right, which is why I think the witness will be totally lying on the stand. Which is why it is even more important that the public gets to hear what is being said. Someone in the public may recognize they are lying and have PROOF of it being a lie.
Without being able to see or hear, the public is not able to uncover what could be outright lies from witness. And which could have resulted in perjury charges against the lying witness.

3-Yes, its possible. Although I think those "threats" were probably nothing more than internet gossip that the defense was trying to make a big deal over. Heck, I think Jodi herself threatened Juan's life according to a jail mate of Jodis if I am not mistaken.

:goodpost: Excellent points, Hatfield !

Could this witness be someone who works in the jail? Maybe some type of medical person?

RE: Cheryl Karps
I find it odd the motion was granted, but her name is in the court record :thinking:

From the court records:

2/21/2014 SDO - Order to Seal Documents - Party (001) 2/28/2014
NOTE: MOTION TO CONTINUE DISCLOSURE DEADLINE; DEFENDANTS RESPONSE; OBJECTING TO CONDUCTING TRIAL (PENALTY PHASE) IN SECRET AND ALLOWING WITNESSES TO TESTIFY UNDER A PSEUDONYM; SENTENCING MEMORANDUM
2/20/2014 028 - ME: Status Conference Set - Party (001) 2/20/2014
2/19/2014 SDO - Order to Seal Documents - Party (001) 2/28/2014
NOTE: MOTION TO SEAL EXPERT WITNESS CHERYL KARPS BRIEF IN SUPPORT OF DEFENDANTS MOTION TO PRECLUDE PENALTY PHASE REBUTTAL EVIDENCE; EXPERT WITNESS CHERYL KARPS BRIEF IN SUPPORT OF DEFENDANTS MOTION TO PRECLUDE PENALTY PHASE REBUTTAL EVIDENCE

Hi Tiki,

I am sorry, but I don't remember who this person was ...

Maybe someone out there can help ?

Thanks !

Hi Hatfield,

Yes, I remember but I can't remember their names ...

Maybe someone out there can help ?

Thanks !
Dan and Desiree Freeman (brother and sister) maybe?

"Mystery Witness"

Here's a list of POSSIBLE individuals compiled from the previous thread who may be the "Mystery Witness" :

• Convicted Murderer Jodi Arias
  • An Immediate Family Member : Mother, Father, Sister, Brother
  • Aunt Sue
  • The "elderly gentleman" who was in court today
  • Alyce LaV
  • Samuels
  • The Bishop
  • Darryl Brewer
  • Matt McCartney
  • Gus Searcy
  • Bobby
  • Patricia Womack
  • A "minor"
  • An "unknown expert"
  • An "unknown individual"

• :waitasec:
  • A "skateborder"
  • A "Ninja"
  • And Finally: "a ninja, skateboarding Mormon Starbucks barista with a part time job at Wal Mart in cosmetology school"

Please feel free to add to the list if I missed anyone !

TIA !

So pretty much anyone....including an alien ...lol

If the attorneys for the media get JSS' decision overturned and get the witness' name made public and maybe even the transcript of testimony, that would be textbook Streisand Effect.

I personally can't blame this witness wanting to remain anonymous. The torches and pitchforks that come out for any Tweet with the #jodiarias hashtag are really scary, IMO. What happened to ALV (don't get me wrong, I am not an ALV fan) should never happen to anyone.

Today, In this internet driven world, would want my safety #1 if I was to testify in any criminal trial, chit, even a white collar crime these days.

However....testimony and the way they went about shutting the media out was uncalled for. They could have called this person by any name..so I feel...

They should release the transcript immediately just so nothing is hidden...They can edit the person's name out.

A compromise....But I agree, I really can't blame the witness either.

The internet is a very ugly thing................

William Pitts @william_pitts · 4h 4 hours ago

BREAKING: @12news will file a motion to stay the closed testimony until our appeal can be heard. Drafting the Stay now. #JodiArias

William Pitts @william_pitts · 4h 4 hours ago

@rrteri @12News trial would not be delayed, just this testimony. Defence could move on to other witnesses until it's resolved

(in re media appeal.....I think they are gonna win!)

How about either 1 or both of that "couple" that testified during the 1st trial and were considered to be on Jodi's side. Remember, the male person who seemed to think of Travis in the same vein as Jodi did, and his girlfriend.

Wasn't that the "friend" and his sister that went to church with Travis? They (brother and sister) also went on trips with JA and Travis.

ETA: Dan and Desiree Freeman is the "couple" I am thinking of.

Most of the day I have just sat here stunned. All of this seems surreal. I think to myself..'this is America....this cant be happening' but then the dose of reality sets in and I do know it is happening.

Never have I seen a case conducted like this one. Never and I have seen many death penalty cases and so has Beth Karas and she seems to be as puzzled as we all are.

I was thinking back when all of this began and I truly believe if the times were added up that have been consumed by in-chamber secret meetings, the constant sidebars, the closed court hearings, that it would be more time spent behind closed doors or in secrecy than the time spent in the well of the court trying the case. So imo, it is JSs who has cost the St. of Arizona the most money for all the star chamber hearings that have been held.

Never did I think I would see the day that our courts would revert back to the days of star chambers but we certainly have and JS has pushed the justice system back decades if not more into secrecy and shrouded in darkness.

What happened to openness and transparency so that the public citizens could be assured that our courts were handling cases openly and honestly?

Even mobsters don't get the luxury of choosing to have an entire courtroom closed to the media and public. I have certainly seen witnesses that didn't want their faces shown and it was pixeled out but to completely boot everyone out is not only bizarre it smells. It taints the entire process which is to be open.

I was talking with a DA friend of mine today about this case, and he said in his 30 years of practice he has never seen anything like it. So even the professionals who try cases do not understand the secrecy in which this entire case has been tired. JS had more in-chamber meetings in one week than I have seen in an entire month trial.

I don't know who this witness could be, and I am at the point of not really caring who it is. If it is a professional paid expert then I think it is shameful that they are allowed to rule the courtroom by threatening not to testify if they don't get their way. If they have a valid opinion they shouldn't try to hide that opinion from the media or public.

If it is the Bishop then I can understand somewhat and he may not want what was told to him in confidentiality to be known. I think I do remember that Arias mentioned either Travis talked to the Bishop or she did. I don't see how he could reveal what Travis said to him in confidence unless that ends when a person dies and if so that is a rotten shame especially with how Travis died. I certainly don't think Arias told him about the pedophilia since that lie didn't even come up until later on after she was arrested and charged. She may have told him she and Travis had been sexually active but so what? How is that a mitigating factor? All that shows is they both sinned.

Nurmi has blown the entire Mormon thing way out of proportion imo and always it is only Travis that has sinned.. omitting the fact Arias also was an active Mormon or so she pretended to be. So Travis' sin was no greater than hers.

Just because someone sins and has human frailties doesn't ever mean they deserved the death penalty for it but that is what KN is wanting the jury to believe.

All of this is about convincing the jury that Travis deserved to be stabbed 29 times, and have his throat cut from ear to ear, and then shot in the head.:(

It is the most painful and hurtful case ever for me and I wish I had never started keeping up with it because the torture of Travis' family by Arias permeates every inch of air in that courtroom and it has for six long agonizing years for them. They have been mentally tortured over and over again.

I couldn't get Tanisha and Stephen off of my mind today. They are just a shell of themselves now........and no one is to blame for their torture and agony other than this person who has controlled everyone's life and loves twisting the knife into the hearts of everyone that loves Travis.

If only Travis could come back and speak the truth but she knows he cant and that is why she can tell any lie she thinks up.

The story will change once again. The abuse will become worse, the pedophilia nonsense worse, and the claims her family abused her will also be embellished. She writes this tale and it is a tale of horrors showing just how low she will go to crush Travis and his family into the ground.

This case seems so wrong on so many fronts. It really shows the extreme extent a sociopath will go to in order to completely destroy the person that rejected them.

Maybe Jodi will fess up and tell the REAL story.
I can't picture anyone else.

And just how would anyone believe it to be the true story...."after all the lies you have told us, why should we believe you now ? "

:seeya:

Thanks to all for the names, and I've added them to the list !

Please let me know if there are any more possibilities, and I will add them to the list !

Okay ... taking a break now and will check back later !

OH I can't read anymore. We get up at 3:30am and I am beat. Have a good night everyone :) I sure hope we get to know who this witness it soon.

Most of the day I have just sat here stunned. All of this seems surreal. I think to myself..'this is America....this cant be happening but then the dose of reality sets in and I do know it is happening.

Never have I seen a case conducted like this one. Never and I have seen many death penalty cases and so has Beth Karas and she seems to be as puzzled as we all are.

I was thinking back when all of this began and I truly believe if the times were added up that have been consumed by in-chamber secret meetings, the constant sidebars, the closed court hearings, that it would be more time spent behind closed doors or in secrecy than the time spent in the well of the court trying the case. So imo, it is JSs who has cost the St. of Arizona the most money for all the star chamber hearings that have been held.

Never did I think I would see the day that our courts would revert back to the days of star chambers but we certainly have and JS has pushed the justice system back decades if not more into secrecy and shrouded in darkness.

What happened to openness and transparency so that the public citizens could be assured that our courts were handling cases openly and honestly?

Even mobsters don't get the luxury of choosing to have an entire courtroom closed to the media and public. I have certainly seen witnesses that didn't want their faces shown and it was pixeled out but to completely boot everyone out is not only bizarre it smells. It taints the entire process which is to be open.

I was talking with a DA friend of mine today about this case, and he said in his 30 years of practice he has never seen anything like it. So even the professionals who try cases do not understand the secrecy in which this entire case has been tired. JS had more in-chamber meetings in one week than I have seen in an entire month trial.

I don't know who this witness could be, and I am at the point of not really caring who it is. If it is a professional paid expert then I think it is shameful that they are allowed to rule the courtroom by threatening not to testify if they don't get their way. If they have a valid opinion they shouldn't try to hide that opinion from the media or public.

If it is the Bishop then I can understand somewhat and he may not want what was told to him in confidentiality to be known. I think I do remember that Arias mentioned either Travis talked to the Bishop or she did. I don't see how he could reveal what Travis said to him in confidence unless that ends when a person dies and if so that is a rotten shame especially with how Travis died. I certainly don't think Arias told him about the pedophilia since that lie didn't even come up until later on after she was arrested and charged. She may have told him she and Travis had been sexually active but so what? How is that a mitigating factor? All that shows is they both sinned.

Nurmi has blown the entire Mormon thing way out of proportion imo and always it is only Travis that has sinned.. omitting the fact Arias also was an active Mormon or so she pretended to be. So Travis' sin was no greater than hers.

Just because someone sins and has human frailties doesn't ever mean they deserved the death penalty for it but that is what KN is wanting the jury to believe.

All of this is about convincing the jury that Travis deserved to be stabbed 29 times, and have his throat cut from ear to ear, and then shot in the head.:(

It is the most painful and hurtful case ever for me and I wish I had never started keeping up with it because the torture of Travis' family by Arias permeates every inch of air in that courtroom and it has for six long agonizing years for them. They have been mentally tortured over and over again.

I couldn't get Tanisha and Stephen off of my mind today. They are just a shell of themselves now........and no one is to blame for their torture and agony other than this person who has controlled everyone's life and loves twisting the knife into the hearts of everyone that loves Travis.

If only Travis could come back and speak the truth but she knows he cant and that is why she can tell any lie she thinks up.

The story will change once again. The abuse will become worse, the pedophilia nonsense worse, and the claims her family abused her will also be embellished. She writes this tale and it is a tale of horrors showing just how low she will go to crush Travis and his family into the ground.

This case seems so wrong on so many fronts. It really shows the extreme extent a sociopath will go to in order to completely destroy the person that rejected them.

Great post..thank you for stating a lot of how I am feeling...but am stuck on this iPad and its too aggravating to post much more than a short post ....I too, am heartsick for the Alexander family...and I also wish I had never got so involved with this case...but as I am sure you will do, I will stick with it...for Travis .

There was a New Zealand witness that they were having troubles getting interviews with. I can't remember if they were flying him in or what but there was a minor drama surrounding it. There was a twitter rumor that this was a JA supporter who claimed to have gone to school with Travis and who claims he was abusive and he confronted him over his pedophilia issues and mistreatment of women and some (most) did not believe that was truthful. But I want to stress that was conjecture so it might not be the same guy. I can certainly imagine Jodi running out to get this man during her attorney stint and the guy losing courage to testify publicly, knowing he was about to spew lies and not wanting to get dismantled in public fashion.

But if you guys are on the right track and it is an out of country Skype witness, and at this point based on what AZ has said that has got to be the most logical conclusion, then it's probably the mysterious New Zealand witness.

If it is the same guy rumored on twitter...god speed to him.

OceanBlueEyes!!!

I just wanted to say, My Goodness!! What an amazing Post!!! Please Put that in a Blog..Hold it close for all of us.
I am crying just reading the RAW Emotion that is coming from your heart!!

My Goodness!!!

So to think differently.. could it be possible this witness is someone claiming to be an ex of travis' to support the domestic violence angle? Or the ped. Claim? Since apparently now a days you can say anything in court and not get in trouble.

"Mystery Witness"

Here's a list of POSSIBLE individuals compiled from the previous thread who may be the "Mystery Witness" :

• Convicted Murderer Jodi Arias
  • An Immediate Family Member : Mother, Father, Sister, Brother
  • Aunt Sue
  • The "elderly gentleman" who was in court today
  • Alyce LaV
  • Samuels
  • Cheryl Karp
  • The Bishop
  • Darryl Brewer
  • Matt McCartney
  • Gus Searcy
  • Bobby
  • Patricia Womack
  • Dan Freeman
  • Desiree Freeman
  • A "minor"
  • An "unknown expert"
  • An "unknown individual"

• :waitasec:
  • A "skateborder"
  • A "Ninja"
  • And Finally: "a ninja, skateboarding Mormon Starbucks barista with a part time job at Wal Mart in cosmetology school"

Please feel free to add to the list if I missed anyone !

TIA !

Juan Martinez!
Didn't Nurmi threaten to call him as a witness at the beginning of this trial? Something to do with the recovery of cell phone issue?

If I were a member of the jury and returned to the courtroom to an empty gallery, I would know something was odd with the witness. I could see the jury members weighing that into the credibility of the witness. I wonder if the judge would address the gallery being empty or just leave it the big huge elephant in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998