JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #3

Wow, really interesting!
They may have kept him employed in order to guarantee he had income to pay them.
I can't imagine what these are for. VERY interesting.

I know right!

I'm not trying to make something of nothing...but man you look at that PUBLIC information...and you add in what we know of JM, not to mention suggestions and even investigation by media into how UVA handles sexual assaults and it really makes you wonder.....

Ok so I came across something the other day, something I hadn't noticed before...I was looking at the the Civil Cases related to Jesse Matthew, originally posted by generalissimo (thank you, thank you!), in the timeline thread #9

He has three court appearances for "Garnishments (Wages)" and five for "Warrant in Debt" - I'm no lawyer so I did research on " Warrant in Debt" and basically its a fancy way of saying being sued for money the the plaintiff feels is owed.

Personally I have never been sued, and I can't think of too many people I know who have been sued...let alone sued EIGHT times btw Aug of 2009 and Jan of 2014....EIGHT times in only FIVE years! Does that strike anyone as odd?

Ok for now I am just going to focus on the five "Warrant in Debt" suits, they are as follows

*Civil Cases Against Jesse Matthew which involved "Warrant in Debt" (aka being sued):

- Aug 19, 2008: Warrant in Debt - ($894.29) - Plaintiff- UVA Health Services Foundation

- June 23, 2009: Warrant in Debt - ($2,293.20) - Plaintiff - Martha Jefferson Hospital

- Jan 12, 2012: Warrant in Debt - ($1,968.80) - Plaintiff - The University of Virginia

- Oct 18, 2012: Warrant in Debt - ($3,027.73) - Plaintiff - The University of Virginia

- April 16, 2013: Warrant in Debt - ($1,550) - Plaintiff - The University of Virginia

Did you guys notice the Plaintiffs?

I think these explain that he had unpaid debts. Creditors "sue" to have monies borrowed paid back to them. This looks to me like he filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy. This results in a court mediated plan worked out with creditors to pay back debt. It is payment taken directly from his paycheck or garnished wages; given that he worked for both MJH and UVA Hospital, this explains it. They are not the plaintiffs. Rather it shows the plaintiff is receiving the amount via agreement with his employers. It shows that he has been on a payment paln for at least four years and gives a history of where he was employed and how much he paid back via each employer. It may only be one big debt, or could be several. I am no lawyer, but I do know a couple people who have been in debt file Chapter 13 and this is what it looks like on record, more or less.

I do not see how he could legally be responsible for any medical expenses in a civil case if the women involved dropped the charges. How could they prove that he harmed them without having any criminal charges to back the civil claims?

Ok so I came across something the other day, something I hadn't noticed before...I was looking at the the Civil Cases related to Jesse Matthew, originally posted by generalissimo (thank you, thank you!), in the timeline thread #9

He has three court appearances for "Garnishments (Wages)" and five for "Warrant in Debt" - I'm no lawyer so I did research on " Warrant in Debt" and basically its a fancy way of saying being sued for money the the plaintiff feels is owed.

Personally I have never been sued, and I can't think of too many people I know who have been sued...let alone sued EIGHT times btw Aug of 2009 and Jan of 2014....EIGHT times in only FIVE years! Does that strike anyone as odd?

Ok for now I am just going to focus on the five "Warrant in Debt" suits, they are as follows

*Civil Cases Against Jesse Matthew which involved "Warrant in Debt" (aka being sued):

- Aug 19, 2008: Warrant in Debt - ($894.29) - Plaintiff- UVA Health Services Foundation

- June 23, 2009: Warrant in Debt - ($2,293.20) - Plaintiff - Martha Jefferson Hospital

- Jan 12, 2012: Warrant in Debt - ($1,968.80) - Plaintiff - The University of Virginia

- Oct 18, 2012: Warrant in Debt - ($3,027.73) - Plaintiff - The University of Virginia

- April 16, 2013: Warrant in Debt - ($1,550) - Plaintiff - The University of Virginia

Why oh why was big powerful UVA suing a little local like JM? Repeatedly?

Why was he still employed within their system up to the very day the charges where filed in the HG case?

What can you possibly think of, that is hard to "prove" in criminal courts, but some monetary restitution may be had in civil court?

Is it possible, those suits are sexual assault allegations against JM? Ones in which UVA helped the victim "settle" in civil court for "medical expenses".

Interesting the other two Plaintiffs, UVA Health Services Foundation and Martha Jefferson Hospital are also part of UVA.

Oh my god, if that where true...I think I'm going to be sick!

Possible explanations:

- paying his mother's or grandmother's medical expenses
- paying for his own medical expenses
- borrowing money from UVA for car insurance or repair
- garnishment for another debt elsewhere?
- paying for his or his father's mental health/addiction treatment?

Possible explanations:

- paying his mother's or grandmother's medical expenses
- paying for his own medical expenses
- borrowing money from UVA for car insurance or repair
- garnishment for another debt elsewhere?
- paying for his or his father's mental health/addiction treatment?

I think those almost 100% have to be his own medical expenses. As unemployed or even then self employed (as an independent contractor through the taxi company) and perhaps even as an employee of the taxi company, he probably did not have medical insurance. The hospitals WILL garnish your wages to get their money, so that's not an unusual thing at all.

Hospitals won't let anyone be the "responsible party" for someone else's bills, unless that person is a minor or incompetent and you are Medical Power of Attorney or you are the subscriber for their medical insurance.

He never worked for Martha Jefferson HOSPITAL; he worked for Martha Jefferson HOUSE - two totally separate companies.

It would be interesting to know, though, what these medical bills were (injury versus illness) and the dates, but we'd never be able to find that out.

All this can tell us is that he wasn't responsible for his bills, but those are high bills and would be tough for someone to pay with his job. He could have worked out payment plans, though, to avoid the court system or he's been in trouble with the UVA Police (it's own LE entity).

ETA: I see the original poster, ThinkHard, said MJH was part of UVA. It is not. MJH is a private community hospital with no ties whatsoever to any part of the UVA system.

Why, though, there is "UVA" and then the "Health Sciences Foundation" piques my interest. The HSF is the medical side of UVA. Not sure why the "other" - academic - side might sue him unless that was abbreviated thusly through the court system.

Ok quick question maybe someone can help me out with...do we have any confirmed dates to build his employment history around?

Ok quick question maybe someone can help me out with...do we have any confirmed dates to build his employment history around?

The only thing we know is he got his taxi license in either 2005 or 2007 depending on source (Charlottesville Commissioner of the Revenue was quoted as 2005, DMV was quoted as 2007).

He deactivated it on 8/2/10.

He was employed by UVA Hospital 8/12/12.

His wages were garnished from Martha Jefferson House 9/20/12.

He was a student at the local community college for these semesters: Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Fall 2011.

ETA: The taxi company lists the following as "flat rate" runs from Charlottesville, which means they are common runs and JM likely did them frequently:

SHENANDOAH VALLEY REGIONAL AIRPORT= $90
LYNCHBURG REGIONAL AIRPORT = $110
RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT = $130
WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT = $160
REAGAN NATIONAL AIRPORT =$200
BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT = $280
MINIMUM $20 RIDE FOR 15 MILES OUTSIDE OF CHARLOTTESVILLE
INTO DC AND UNION STATION = $220
http://www.cvilletaxi.com/fleet-rates/

Thank you Conductor72 and SolVol for your suggestions , much appreciated, its so important to consider every angle and we each have our own knowledge to contribute. Law is certainly not my specialty :)

Also thanks ksj3 for correcting me about MJH!

I thought about each point, and tried to look into it a little more...

First those specific cases are NOT wage garnishment cases...he has 3 separate "Garnishment" cases they are as follows:

- Sep 20, 2012: Garnishment - Martha Jefferson Hospital

- Jun 28, 2013: Garnishment - UVA Medical Center

- Jan 1, 2014: Garnishment - UVA Medical Center

In chronological order it would look like this:

-Aug 19, 2008 - sued (UVA Health Services)

-Jun 23, 2009 - sued (MJH)

-Jan 12, 2012 - sued (UVA)
-Sep 20, 2012 - garn. (MJH)
-Oct 18, 2012 - sued (UVA)

-Apr 16, 2013 - sued (UVA)
-Jun 28, 2013 - garn. (UVA Medical Center)

-Jan 1, 2014 - garn. (UVA Medical Center)

ADMIN NOTE: Reminder. Only one member, Paulap, is verified as an insider in this case.

"Facts" posted by any other members must be backed up with proper links. Rumors will be removed.

:tyou:

Additionally I have trouble believing this is related to bankruptcy, as I'm not noticing any sort of pattern in dates that would strengthen a case for a "payment plan".

As Ksj3 pointed out he couldn't have been brought to court for "others" medical bills, because he would not have been responsible and could not be held legally responsible for those bills.

I tend to think that the idea he "borrowed" money from a University for related car payments, to make little sense, at least not to me. Is it common for universities to give out loans for car repairs?

I suppose they COULD all be related to medical expenses that JM had accumulated but why would UVA itself be suing him...not "garnishing his wages" by suing him.....wouldn't it be one of the medical centers themselves as we see in other cases....why are there 3 that are directly from the University? That's what confuses me.

I know I know, there could be benign, unrelated, logical explanations....but look at these webpages and articles:

http://www.uvavictimsofrape.com/

http://www.readthehook.com/95992/cover-how-uva-turns-its-back-rape

http://www.c-ville.com/allegations-...hallenge-to-the-campus-save-act/#.VFfFQZG9KSM

Why oh why was big powerful UVA suing a little local like JM? Repeatedly?

Why was he still employed within their system up to the very day the charges where filed in the HG case?

What can you possibly think of, that is hard to "prove" in criminal courts, but some monetary restitution may be had in civil court?

Is it possible, those suits are sexual assault allegations against JM? Ones in which UVA helped the victim "settle" in civil court for "medical expenses".

Interesting the other two Plaintiffs, UVA Health Services Foundation and Martha Jefferson Hospital are also part of UVA.

Oh my god, if that where true...I think I'm going to be sick!

These DO "look" like medical expenses. Question is, who was the patient/s, if not JLM himself?

And lastly just as food for thought...and to answer one of Conductor71's question about civil suits....

Check out the info on this link:

http://www.c-ville.com/allegations-...hallenge-to-the-campus-save-act/#.VFfFQZG9KSM

But here are some highlights:

"The civil justice system does not attempt to determine the innocence or guilt of an offender. Rather, it attempts to determine whether an offender or a third party is liable for the injuries sustained as a result of the crime. A civil court finding of liability usually means that the defendant must pay the victim or his/her family monetary damages. The civil justice system can provide victims with the monetary resources necessary to rebuild their lives, and can hold defendants who are found liable directly accountable to the victim. Most crime victims have the right to file a civil lawsuit seeking financial compensation from the perpetrator or from others whose unreasonable conduct gave rise to conditions that allowed the crime to occur. In civil cases, the plaintiff must prove there is a 51% or greater chance that the defendant committed all the elements of the wrong. It is possible to find the defendant liable in a civil case even though a verdict of “not guilty” was rendered in the criminal case."

Civil Lawsuits:
-Goal is to hold the defendant accountable to the victim.
-Victim initiates and controls the case.
-Victim is a party and is entitled to all important information relating to the case, and can make decisions about the direction of the case such as settlement of the claim.
-Victim must prove that it is more likely than not that the perpetrator is liable.
-Victim and perpetrator appear as equals..
-If the perpetrator is found liable he/she owes an obligation to the victim, such as money to compensate for medical and therapy expenses, psychological damage, damage to family relationships, and lost wages. The court can order the perpetrator to pay for non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering and punitive damages.
-The victim can sue the perpetrator in civil court regardless of whether the perpetrator has been found guilty in a criminal prosecution.

Additionally I have trouble believing this is related to bankruptcy, as I'm not noticing any sort of pattern in dates that would strengthen a case for a "payment plan".

As Ksj3 pointed out he couldn't have been brought to court for "others" medical bills, because he would not have been responsible and could not be held legally responsible for those bills.

I tend to think that the idea he "borrowed" money from a University for related car payments, to make little sense, at least not to me. Is it common for universities to give out loans for car repairs?

I suppose they COULD all be related to medical expenses that JM had accumulated but why would UVA itself be suing him...not "garnishing his wages" by suing him.....wouldn't it be one of the medical centers themselves as we see in other cases....why are there 3 that are directly from the University? That's what confuses me.

I know I know, there could be benign, unrelated, logical explanations....but look at these webpages and articles:

I would think a suit would have to be won before the could garnish wages, but I don't know that. So I think for any given case you would see a suit and then, if not paid, a garnishment (as an outcome of that suit). Suing around here is common with medical bills (I can tell you that because we often forget to pay ours and very quickly get a threatening letter in the mail that we will be sued if not paid immediately). I'll see if I can find one and post a picture.

One thing noticeable is that the garnishments didn't begin until the month after he became employed at UVA Medical. Either he was an independent contractor taxi driver or no one knew where he worked prior to his job with UVA Medical.

Wouldn't there need to be a judgment/s before any garnishments could be filed?

I dunno. I just think if you look at what we know of JM, and you read up on UVA regarding rape (a google search will give you even more).

<modsnip>

This is what I see: a serial rapist, a university with a reputation for covering up sex crimes to protect their reputation, and a pretty big coincidence if that serial rapist was just coincidently being sued by that university, for HIS own medical expenses.

Side note:(A huge stretch but could documents be altered in such a way, where it looks like JM is paying back his own medical bills, but is really paying a victim? - could money be funneled to the victim that way? .....settlement for silence)

The only thing we know is he got his taxi license in either 2005 or 2007 depending on source (Charlottesville Commissioner of the Revenue was quoted as 2005, DMV was quoted as 2007).

He deactivated it on 8/2/10.

He was employed by UVA Hospital 8/12/12.

His wages were garnished from Martha Jefferson House 9/20/12.

He was a student at the local community college for these semesters: Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Fall 2011.

ETA: The taxi company lists the following as "flat rate" runs from Charlottesville, which means they are common runs and JM likely did them frequently:

SHENANDOAH VALLEY REGIONAL AIRPORT= $90
LYNCHBURG REGIONAL AIRPORT = $110
RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT = $130
WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT = $160
REAGAN NATIONAL AIRPORT =$200
BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT = $280
MINIMUM $20 RIDE FOR 15 MILES OUTSIDE OF CHARLOTTESVILLE
INTO DC AND UNION STATION = $220
http://www.cvilletaxi.com/fleet-rates/

Was it Piedmont CC?

One thing noticeable is that the garnishments didn't begin until the month after he became employed at UVA Medical. Either he was an independent contractor taxi driver or no one knew where he worked prior to his job with UVA Medical.
A lot of folks use the ER for their day to day problems, xrays, lab work. I can easily see this happening with JM. UVA can sue him & get a judgement to garnish his wages but then they can't garnish his wages until he has employment that they can find. Well finally, low and behold he gets a job a UVA, and bingo, UVA finally can try to collect. I really don't think this is unusual for the people without insurance during those years. JMHO

Perhaps I missed this possible investigative route by a previous poster--maybe this or some record of his own personal medical expenses due to injuries--wounds--etc-- can be discovered for future trial whether from ER records or other sources--even with FERPA privacy--must allow disclosure in a murder case----since he must/might have sustained injuries hopefully in his various brutal attacks on women--this was one of the links in evidence that sealed BSL fate in Mickey Shunick case--his trip to hospital in New Orleans with many wounds day after she disappeared. IMO

I really encourage everyone to click on this link and spend a few minutes reading through this page:

http://www.uvavictimsofrape.com/Why.htm

Its one mothers account of dealing with UVA when her daughter was assaulted. And she touches on a lot of really interesting things. Its worth a look.

I think it might give you guys another lens, with which to view these charges.

Granted we can't prove what exactly these civil suits stemmed from....but it might give you "reasonable doubt" to be slightly more suspicious of how he acquired them.

You need to look into UVA and rape and mishandling....its a big problem, that's been blasted by media. So I'm not spouting gossip or rumors...I've already linked 3 things...and there is plenty more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dallasstar1968
Back