FL FL - Orange Co., BlkFem 727UFFL, 17-20, w/ remains of Nancy Daniel, Jan'77

I called Ashley Shaughnessy two weeks ago but she said she hasn't heard anything.

I remember she said back in July that it could take up to 6 months, so I think we'll have an answer sometime in January (or early February at the latest).

NamUs now says Sample submitted - Tests complete for Mabel, so I think it might not be her.

NamUs now says Sample submitted - Tests complete for Mabel, so I think it might not be her.

Not necessarily. It could be that the match was made but they haven't gotten around to publicizing it or taking down the profiles.

Also, we don't know which type of DNA is there for both the UID And Mabel (mtDNA or nuclear DNA). They're incomparable.
And I'm pretty sure the ME would have to ask for a direct comparison anyway; I asked someone at NamUs about this about 2 months ago and got the following reply:

The system is capable of developing possible matches. But the comparisons and exclusions are manually completed. Dental records and fingerprints can sometimes be difficult to review without the help of a subject matter expert.

We have been working to develop tools that will help streamline the process of comparison / exclusion.

The best way it can work now - an investigator can see the list of possibilities and go down the list using biometric comparison to exclude in a process of elimination.

ETA: Will talk to Shaughnessy as soon as possible. I called twice but got no answer. I remember she said DNA testing may take 6 months back when I first submitted Mabel, and we're at about the 6-month mark.

I hope it is Mabel so the family can get some answers and hopefully LE can solve the cold case. But even if it doesn't pan out, you may have succeeded in getting Mabel's DNA in the system, which increases her chances of someday getting ID'd.

I spoke to Shaughnessy about an hour ago. She says she hasn't heard anything, but that she sent a message to UNT (where the DNA was done) and I think the FBI, and she'll call me when she gets an answer.

She said it may take a little bit longer because, apparently, Mabel's aunt's DNA "wasn't sufficient enough" to be put into CODIS. I think that means the sample wasn't good and so they didn't have enough markers (I think you need 13 for CODIS to accept it). But it definitely shouldn't take much longer.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barton_jennifer.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/535dftx.html

Jennifer Barton disappeared from Austin 5 days before Debra did. Each time I see either one of these women, I think of the other. There is no known evidence that they are related, but look at both when considering the timeline & location. Both have threads here tagged Travis County (Austin.)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/tags.php?tag=travis+county

Jennifer is now listed as only rule out.

I'm guessing you never heard back Migmuu?

Bumping.

Mabel has ties to the Parramore area, also known as the place from where Nancy Daniel was snatched in September 1976, a bit short of 8 months after Mabel disappeared (as said in the OP). She would often visit her grandmother there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back