CA CA - Sonoma Co., WhtFem, ~19, red hair, contact lenses, hog-tied, Jul'79

The contact lens thing is not definitive. Soft lenses may be much more prevalent, but there are still reasons why a person might wear hard contacts -- mostly related to eye structure or injury.

I guess there's a broader question too, of who wore contact lenses back in the mid to late seventies. I remember one of my highschool friends getting them in 1986 and despite it being a distinctly middle to upper middle class school she was the only girl in the school who had them... of course Australia is different to America when it comes to how medical things are funded, but still, back in the seventies how common were contact lenses amongst teens? Especially hard contact lenses that are more of a hassle and risk, those were usually a choice parents wouldn't support. Surely at that stage contacts were most common in single women in their mid-twenties who had good jobs? So what's with the Doe, that she had contacts at 19? Medical problems? Indulgent parents? Very rich parents? Wanted to be a model or actress and her parents were supportive of that? Maybe she's older than 19?

I guess there's a broader question too, of who wore contact lenses back in the mid to late seventies. I remember one of my highschool friends getting them in 1986 and despite it being a distinctly middle to upper middle class school she was the only girl in the school who had them... of course Australia is different to America when it comes to how medical things are funded, but still, back in the seventies how common were contact lenses amongst teens? Especially hard contact lenses that are more of a hassle and risk, those were usually a choice parents wouldn't support. Surely at that stage contacts were most common in single women in their mid-twenties who had good jobs? So what's with the Doe, that she had contacts at 19? Medical problems? Indulgent parents? Very rich parents? Wanted to be a model or actress and her parents were supportive of that? Maybe she's older than 19?

I graduated high school in 1971, when hard contacts were the only choice, but even then at least half the girls who wore glasses had contacts. They were something that was affordable by a middle-class family. So no, I don't think it tells us very much about her.

I graduated high school in 1971, when hard contacts were the only choice, but even then at least half the girls who wore glasses had contacts. They were something that was affordable by a middle-class family. So no, I don't think it tells us very much about her.

Other than that if she was a runaway it was unlikely she'd been a runaway long.

If her age were to be wrong by 6 years too young, then 25 year old Linda Lee Lovell might be a possible. Fits the timeframe (missing 1974) was possibly hitchhiking with a male friend who also hasn't been seen since (maybe he did it and went on the run, maybe he was killed first and dumped elsewhere) is only 1 inch out on height, hair-colour matches, is known to wear both glasses and contacts, and the location could fit with their journey home. She's got some scars just above her waistline too, so maybe that relates to a broken rib.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9136/90
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lovell_linda.html

If her age were to be wrong by 6 years too young, then 25 year old Linda Lee Lovell might be a possible. Fits the timeframe (missing 1974) was possibly hitchhiking with a male friend who also hasn't been seen since (maybe he did it and went on the run, maybe he was killed first and dumped elsewhere) is only 1 inch out on height, hair-colour matches, is known to wear both glasses and contacts, and the location could fit with their journey home. She's got some scars just above her waistline too, so maybe that relates to a broken rib.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9136/90
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lovell_linda.html

She certainly looks like a good possibility. I'm not sure how they came up with an age as precise as 19. For younger people, the teeth and growth plates can give a quite accurate representation, but I thought after that they couldn't tell much more than "young adult."

The UID is still not in Namus.

A year after Eileen Hyson disappeared from Lake Berryessa, Roger Reece Kibbe (the I-5 Strangler) dumped the body of Lou Ellen Burleigh near Lake Berryessa. Kibbe also dumped victim Katherine Kelly Quinones near Lake Berryessa in November 1986. There is a gap of 9 years between his victims. Authorities speculate that he had more victims. Eileen Hynson has a similar look to many of Kibbe's victims. She disappeared from her home in Lake Berryessa when she planned to hitchhike to Benicia. These areas were Kibbe's hunting grounds. For Eileen to have hitchhiked out of Berryessa, she would have needed to get down to one of the county roads that linked up with a highway. Her father's Steele Park residence was almost four miles from the nearest highway, Hwy 128 (Capell Valley Road).

At the time of Eileen's disappearance, her parents were divorced and her mother was living in San Mateo County. Her mother, Gwendolyn, passed away on 14 Feb 1973. Eileen's father passed away on 18 Aug 1997 in Solano County. His obituary includes the following: "He was preceded in death by his wife Gwendolyn, and daughter, Eileen.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one making a Kibbe connection. I have been searching through cold case murder and missing persons cases in the area for possible other victims of his. I think he may have been killing even earlier than Lou Ellen Burleigh's murder, and that he may be connected to some of the Santa Rosa hitchhiker killings - I don't think he was involved with the young victims, but one or two of the older strangulation victims fit his M.O., and Nancy Feusi in Sacramento, who the FBI thought might be connected, is a strong possibility.

As for this specific unidentified woman, he was certainly in the area, and left several victims in Napa, Antioch and the Delta region, so this is not out of his stomping grounds. He moved to the area from SoCal in 1970 or 1971, and he drove a truck and van for a volunteer organization in the 1970s in the Napa and East Bay area, so Sonoma County is definitely within reason and Eileen is a strong possibility for a victim. His known victims were all dumped across county lines, so that would fit, too, should this woman turn out to be Eileen.

I had the exact same thoughts about the Santa Rosa hitchhiker murders, but I too thought the girls were too young to be Kibbe victims and there was no mention of "nonfunctional cutting" of clothing. While searching Ancestry for Kibbe info, I discovered the following that links Kibbe to Santa Rosa:
1972 Santa Rose city directory - Kibbe, Jonathan (Susan) 1180 Fulton Rd slsmn Comanche Chevrolet

Jonathan was the father of Roger, Susan the name of his stepmother, according to Trace Evidence by Bruce Henderson. I also found a 1972 city directory listing for Jonathan and Susan in San Diego, 4280 W. Overlook Dr. Perhaps the father rented or purchased a home in Santa Rosa for Roger when he was released from prison?

I was unaware that Roger drove a truck or van for a volunteer organization in the 1970s in the Napa and East Bay area. Salvation Army?

Good work, PricklyPear!

Roger and his wife got married in Tahoe right around 1971 or so and moved to Antioch. I put together a timeline when I read Trace Evidence (fantastic book) but it's on my computer. It was a smaller organization - I want to say Volunteers of America or a name like that? I'll check when I get a chance.

I agree with you on the hitchhiker murders, that most of the victims seem too young. I'm not sure what links them all (I read chipmunk fur somewhere? And probably other stuff too), so he may not be connected to any of them. But Nancy Feusi, who was connected to the series by the FBI, sounds eerily like two of his known victims (Charmaine Sabrah and Karen Finch), and some of the others don't quite fit, but are close enough it's worth running his DNA IMO. Especially Theresa Walsh and maybe Kim Allen and Laura O'Dell.

I sent a tip in for Nancy Feusi since she was in Sacramento and the case was so similar - her killer even crossed county lines like Kibbe did - but haven't heard anything. (on a sidenote, Wikipedia says her body was found in Redding, but I looked up news articles from the time and she was actually found in Sutter County.)

EDIT: Forgot I have the book right here. He was living first in Pittsburg, then in Oakley and driving a truck for Volunteers of America from at least the late 1970s until the Kibbes moved to Ceres and opened a furniture business in 1984, according to his wife and a 1984 police report after he assaulted a prostitute. There is no exact date for when he started, but he and Harriet married and moved to Pittsburg around 1971.

(Also, we should probably move this convo over to his thread, so we don't derail this one. Sorry, everyone!)

Correction: The Jonathan here is Kibbe's brother, not his father.

Thanks taramarie:

The contemporary newspaper clipping about the Jane Doe indicated that the remains had been there for about 5-7 years.

This would make Adrianne very unlikely.

The timeframe was based, in part, because the contact lenses were hard lenses. By 1979, soft lenses were in widespread use, and hard lenses had been out of style for about five years.

The victim also had a healed rib fracture.

So in summary, the details of this Jane Doe are as follows:

Race: Caucasian
Height: Approx 5'3"
Hair: Reddish/Brown
Dominant Hand: Right
Approximate Date of death: 1972 to 1974
Clothing & Accessories: Contact Lenses
Physical Anomalies: Healed Rib Fracture

I hope they had a more solid lead to base the time frame on than just the hard contact lenses. My mother STILL wears hard contact lenses and it's 2014.

ANy more word on if that Jane Doe was compared to Cindy Lee Mellin?

Paula A. Pope (nee Pile)? She vanished shortly before her 19th birthday about two and a half hours away from Santa Rosa, was last known to be hitchhiking, and wore hard contact lenses. No mention of a previous broken rib and height is a little off but not enough for me to discount her.http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pope_paula.html

This Jane Doe still isn't in NamUs or anywhere else really.

Did you ever send this in for comparison?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back