Australia - Martin Place siege: 2 Hostages killed in Lindt Chocolate shop #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man at centre of siege has said there are 4 devices planted around Sydney.
9 news but has not been confirmed.
Opera house-people allowed back in.

Beau Mitchem ‏@Mo*****em 3m3 minutes ago

Workers are now allowed back into the Opera House, but the general public is being kept back. #2gbNews

So I'm guessing our terror alert level is about to be raised....

Nine News Perth ‏@9NewsPerth 35s35 seconds ago

Lindt boss now says there's 50 people inside the cafe at #MartinPlace.

I feel sick for these poor people and their families. What a nightmare. I hope it ends ok.

'Sydney cafe under siege, what we know so far

We are almost three hours into the siege and there is a lot of conflicting reports and speculation. Here is a brief rundown of what we actually do know:

Customers and staff at Lindt Cafe in Martin Place, Sydney, were taken hostage about 9.45am. There are varying reports on the number of hostages but four have been sighted in camera footage. They were made to stand up against the windows with their hands raised.
There is at least one gunman.

A black flag with white writing was put in the window of the cafe. It is not an Islamic State flag. The flag appears to bear the Shahada, an Islamic creed which reads: “There is no god but the God, Muhammad is the messenger of God.” It’s can be a benign symbol and appears across the Islamic world, including on the Saudi Arabian flag. But it has also been embraced by jihadi groups such as Jabhat Al-Nusra, an Al-Qaeda affiliate currently fighting in Syria.

The prime minister, Tony Abbott, confirmed the national security committee of cabinet has convened for briefings.
Buildings in the area have been evacuated, as has the Sydney Opera House though it has not been confirmed why the Opera House has been evacuated.
The prime minister will address media soon.'

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...stage-situation-inside-martin-place-cafe-live

What frightens me so much about these kind of terrorists is that they will kill man, woman or child including themselves and people of their own beliefs to further their cause. I'm born and bred Northern Irish so terrorism is something I grew up with but not this.
This scares me to death.

I have drowned myself in lavender oil and have finally stopped shaking.

My Christmas wish is that these people get out without any deaths.

Sam Tetlow ‏@Team_of_Leaders 1m1 minute ago

Sydney has an advanced public address system on each street corner. This helped clear the area and evacuate Martin Place #sydneysiege

Lindt CEO says 10 workers, 30 customers inside.

Adam Todd retweeted
AFP National Media @AFPmedia · 1 min 1 minute ago

Reports that the AFP is conducting search warrants in the Sydney suburb of Lakemba are incorrect.

this is horrendous!

:Zohar:

sorry... My iPad is playing tricks on me...

should be: :what:

NSW Police retweeted
NSW TrainLink South @TrainLinkSouth · 20m 20 minutes ago

Services are operating but @T4SydneyTrains services will not stop at #MartinPlace due to the police operation: http://ow.ly/FSsXA

NSW Police retweeted
131500 buses @131500buses · 8 mins 8 minutes ago

Buses travelling citybound across #AnzacBridge are terminating at QVB. #Route501 is terminating at Central. Services departing Druitt St

Adam Todd retweeted
AFP National Media @AFPmedia · 1 min 1 minute ago

Reports that the AFP is conducting search warrants in the Sydney suburb of Lakemba are incorrect.

Wow things are happening quickly around there. Go AFP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr