Verdict watch! ** GUILTY **

Status
Not open for further replies.
From ^^ link

Correctional service representatives were called before the judge to make sure Magnotta was brought to court on time in his own prison van, to avoid verbal abuse from other inmates. And he had to be returned to his cell in good time in the evening as well, the judge ordered.

“The fact he’s followed by a psychiatrist and prescribed drugs would seem at first blush to indicate that somehow somebody should think about not doing anything that could derail this trial,” the judge said. “I am very sensitive to this, but I cannot conduct a daily inquiry about it.”

Psychiatrist Joel Watts was paid $26,000 to fly to Berlin and accompany Magnotta on the flight back to Montreal. Montreal police — funded by taxpayers’ dollars — footed the bill.

Total time working: 53 hours.

The defence let slip that a man police were unable to identify, who is seen entering and leaving Magnotta’s apartment on surveillance video after spending the night just one week before the killing, is currently in prison. According to Magnotta's lawyer, he’s also not a Canadian citizen. A few seconds of video of the man, gagged and bound to a bed, appears at the beginning of the video Magnotta uploaded showing parts of the attack on Lin.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/luka-magnotta-trial-what-the-jury-didn-t-see-or-hear-1.2874042

:floorlaugh:

Another exchange between the two went like this:

Cournoyer: “Mr. Leclair, you are treading on thin ice.”

Leclair: “I need a break.”

Cournoyer: “I need an answer.”

Leclair: “I cannot answer you at this moment. I don’t feel I can answer your question. I need a break.”

Cournoyer: “I don’t understand why. I have questions. I need to rule on them.”

Leclair: “I can’t answer your questions and I can’t stand here being cross-examined.”

Cournoyer: “I’m just asking questions.”

Leclair: “I don’t feel well.”

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...al-what-the-jury-didn-t-see-or-hear-1.2874042

As testimony was presented, the 32-year-old spent much of the time hunched over, with his forehead nearly touching his knees. But as legal points were being debated without the jury present, Magnotta was often sitting up straight, alert and attentive.

The contrast in behaviour was so evident that Crown prosecutor Louis Bouthillier pointed it out to the judge towards the end of the trial, saying Magnotta was "laying low" when the jury was in, but when jurors were out of the room, "his behaviour is very different."

Bouthillier wanted to ask the Crown's psychiatric expert about it in front of the jury, but Justice Guy Cournoyer indicated it was too late to introduce new material not included in the expert’s report.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...hear-1.2874042

In the jury’s absence, the court saw a photo that may have been distributed online weeks before the crime was committed, allegedly to promote the video posted online and played in court which shows some elements of the killing.

The jury was not allowed to see the photo because the Crown decided not to include it in its original evidence.

"We pondered on that a long time, but we chose not to because we could not prove what we wanted to prove," Bouthillier said, adding it was impossible for investigators to determine exactly when the photo was posted online.

Defence lawyer Luc Leclair objected to the jury seeing the photo, calling it, "extremely incriminating."

"It proves first-degree murder," he told the judge.

The photo shows Magnotta wearing a purple hooded sweatshirt with a screwdriver in his hand, standing in front of a Casablanca movie poster that is featured in the graphic video.

Jury members were also unaware that Magnotta's demeanour changed when they were in the courtroom.

As testimony was presented, the 32-year-old spent much of the time hunched over, with his forehead nearly touching his knees. But as legal points were being debated without the jury present, Magnotta was often sitting up straight, alert and attentive.

The contrast in behaviour was so evident that Crown prosecutor Louis Bouthillier pointed it out to the judge towards the end of the trial, saying Magnotta was "laying low" when the jury was in, but when jurors were out of the room, "his behaviour is very different."

Bouthillier wanted to ask the Crown's psychiatric expert about it in front of the jury, but Justice Guy Cournoyer indicated it was too late to introduce new material not included in the expert’s report.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...al-what-the-jury-didn-t-see-or-hear-1.2874042

Photo promoting grisly video

In the jury’s absence, the court saw a photo that may have been distributed online weeks before the crime was committed, allegedly to promote the video posted online and played in court which shows some elements of the killing.

The photo shows Magnotta wearing a purple hooded sweatshirt with a screwdriver in his hand, standing in front of a Casablanca movie poster that is featured in the graphic video.
A photo of Luka Magnotta in front of a Casablanca poster holding a screwdriver was not entered as evidence.

The jury was not allowed to see the photo because the Crown decided not to include it in its original evidence.
"We pondered on that a long time, but we chose not to because we could not prove what we wanted to prove,"

* Bouthillier said, adding it was impossible for investigators to determine exactly when the photo was posted online. *

* Wait... What.... ? *
Well we know for a fact it was 'on-line' 15/16th May so clearly quite some time before JL was killed

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...hear-1.2874042

"We pondered on that a long time, but we chose not to because we could not prove what we wanted to prove," Bouthillier said, adding it was impossible for investigators to determine exactly when the photo was posted online.

Defence lawyer Luc Leclair objected to the jury seeing the photo, calling it, "extremely incriminating."

"It proves first-degree murder," he told the judge.

I am very confused by this. LeClair admits that it is extremely incriminating and it's the CROWN who decide to exclude it? It was posted to youtube on May 15, 2012. How was that so difficult to prove?

:waitasec:

I see LM is still pouty and whiny. How could he not expect to get bullied in the prison system? Should have thought about that before slaughtering an innocent man. It also appears that his lawyer is pouty and whiny as well. They were a good match I suppose.

MOO

I see LM is still pouty and whiny. How could he not expect to get bullied in the prison system? Should have thought about that before slaughtering an innocent man.
It also appears that his lawyer is pouty and whiny as well. They were a good match I suppose.

MOO

OMG, no kidding...... :giggle:

“Maybe I’m getting tired, but I don’t understand,” Cournoyer would say, usually in his calm, respectful manner.

He criticized Leclair for wasting time, for not doing his homework and spending precious hours on trains of thought that led nowhere.

“I’ve heard about admissions three weeks ago and it seems like waiting for Godot,” Cournoyer said once.

In response, Leclair would often stop mid-sentence and sit down in silence.

“I don’t appreciate that I’ve been told I’m pouting,” he told the judge, reacting to a particularly harsh scolding.
"

http://montrealgazette.com/news/national/what-the-magnotta-jurors-didnt-hear-during-the-trial

So now I wonder abut the Crown: why couldn't they prove when it was posted. It was the slam dunk of the case. So go through 2 months+ of trial???? For what??? Extra money??? Pfftttttt..... SMFH

So now I wonder abut the Crown: why couldn't they prove when it was posted. It was the slam dunk of the case. So go through 2 months+ of trial???? For what??? Extra money??? Pfftttttt..... SMFH

I know!! They keep talking about a "picture" but what about the fact that the "picture" was uploaded to youtube in a preview "trailer" video on the 15th of May, 10 days before the murder? Did the prosecution even know about his trailer when they decided not to use this piece of evidence?

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/12/15/magnotta-judge-doesnt-think-jury-will-buy-insanity-defence

The jury heard several examples of Magnotta's obsession with schoolgirl killer Karla Homolka but they didn't know he contacted Homolka's lawyer, Sylvie Bordelais, in December 2011 to receive professional advice.

That was six months before he killed Lin, and around the same time he e-mailed a British reporter to warn that a filmed killing was in the works.

Bordelais testified that she didn't give Magnotta any advice and that their discussions were covered by attorney-client privilege.

I am very confused by this. LeClair admits that it is extremely incriminating and it's the CROWN who decide to exclude it? It was posted to youtube on May 15, 2012. How was that so difficult to prove?

:waitasec:

I know! I keep rereading it, trying to see if there's something I'm missing...

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...ne-posts-that-luka-magnotta-jurors-didnt-see/

Man, so many gems in here:

“In advance” is surely the key: Who but Mr. Magnotta could have known the name of the grisly video, let alone its details, before it was made (in Montreal, not San Francisco), let alone uploaded to various gore sites? The first brief mention at the trial was Nov. 14, when a lengthy report by defence psychiatrist Dr. Joel Watts was introduced into evidence.

All the jurors heard about the ads — which are completely in keeping with what they have learned about Mr. Magnotta’s unquenchable need for attention and his strategic way of manufacturing online buzz — came last month.

Buried in it was a line describing how Dr. Watts had asked Mr. Magnotta “about online postings that appeared on the internet in the weeks prior to the killing, allegedly promoting the video of Mr. Lin’s death.”

Mr. Magnotta replied, he said, by saying “I have been trying to make some sense of it. I hope it was not me. I don’t remember doing it, it feels weird.”

A few days later, prosecutor Louis Bouthillier asked Dr. Watts what he’d seen that led him to ask that question, but Dr. Watts said he couldn’t remember.

Though they heard about the cat-killing videos in the testimony of several psychiatrists, they never saw them.

The videos remain online. Mr. Magnotta belatedly admitted he made them, though as ever, he blamed someone else — his favourite fall guy, one Manny Lopez, who may not even exist and who certainly hasn’t been located.

As with the slaying of Mr. Lin, who died of a slashed throat, Mr. Magnotta claimed not to remember much about the cat killings.

Judge Cournoyer ruled the tryout video was a possible “game-changer,” relevant and admissible, but far too prejudicial for the jurors to view.

Its significance, as with the cat videos, was that Mr. Magnotta seemed so self-possessed, so organized and so decidedly not delusional — all at a time when he was purportedly under care for his alleged schizophrenia.

But when the jurors weren’t there — and given the number of objections and snits from his lawyer, Mr. Leclair, they were out of court more than they were in it — Mr. Magnotta was far more animated.

The second the last of the jurors left the room, he would pop up, like a groundhog.

Mr. Leclair, a bilingual lawyer who is based in Toronto, was regularly late arriving at court; often couldn’t or wouldn’t say why he was objecting to something, and was openly defiant with the judge, once telling him, “If Your Honour is going to take that attitude I’m going to stop right now and demand a mistrial.”

But perhaps his most egregious comment came when, the day after the jurors had seen the ghastly dismemberment video, Mr. Leclair asked for an extra day off, claiming that the viewing was “extremely difficult for Mr. Magnotta.”

At the end of the trial, the Crown tried to persuade the judge that the defence had not met the criteria for a verdict of “not criminally responsible” and that therefore the jury shouldn’t be offered it as an option.

The judge refused the motion.

“The issue of mental disorder will be left with the jury no matter how unlikely such a verdict would appear,” he ruled.
The judge, who could recite case law as if reciting the alphabet, asked the jury and witness at one point to leave the room, then tore a strip off Gilles Chamberland, the Crown’s expert psychiatric witness, for making faces during the testimony of the psychiatrist who met Magnotta in Berlin after his arrest.
http://montrealgazette.com/news/national/what-the-magnotta-jurors-didnt-hear-during-the-trial

Wow!! Good stuff in this one:
Luka Magnotta's grandmother risked arrest at the same time that she refused to testify in his defence, the court heard in testimony covered by a publication ban until Monday.
Magnotta was hit with a disciplinary infraction on Oct. 17 at Riviere-des-Prairies jail related to obstruction. Magnotta, who gained 65 lbs. in jail, disobeyed orders to stop eating breakfast after he had been told to get into a waiting area to be transported to court.
The Crown wanted to play the entire film Basic Instinct for the jury but the judge refused. Bouthillier said Magnotta's dismemberment clip mirrored the opening scene of the 1992 murder mystery. Judge Cournoyer said playing the film would have been overly dramatic. He also gave the film itself a thumbs down. "Playing the whole movie is unnecessary, time-consuming, and to be honest, I fell asleep last night trying to watch it," the judge told lawyers. "This is not a movie that stands the test of time."
Though he certainly didn't say it to the
jury, Luka Magnotta's trial judge doesn't think jurors will buy his insanity defence
That means they didn't hear Judge Guy Cournoyer say just last Monday that Magnotta's insanity defence wasn't very convincing.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/12/15/magnotta-judge-doesnt-think-jury-will-buy-insanity-defence

I wonder which personality disorder the defence psychiatric experts diagnosed Luc LeClair with? :floorlaugh:

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member