Australia - Eight children killed in mass stabbing, Cairns, Qld, 19 Dec 2014 *Arrest*

Ah, holy crap, so it WAS the mother. At least it's been confirmed..

I cannot fathom, one bit, why people decide to take themselves out -- and all their kids, with them. Yep, I realise mental illness plays a part... but still. You can be mentally ill, and not slaughter your innocent kids. Or like, get help *before* things escalate so badly. Something.....

Dammit.

Poor babies. Please let them be at peace.

So tragic :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So tragic. RIP Young Sweethearts. :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

I agree with something said upthread that made me wonder if it was done by the mother. She was still alive.

I think most of us would fight to the death to protect our babies from a crazed killer. The fact that she was still alive seemed to point to her possible involvement. So devastating for the poor 20 yr old son. He will never be the same. God Bless Him, may he find some strength and healing. And I cannot even imagine what the father is going through. :candle:

What went through their minds :( Did anyone else catch the article that said she was up cleaning with the children in the middle of the night? Now my hope that it wasn't a family member is gone, I hope that we don't find this is yet another massive failure of our system to keep innocent people safe and the unwell from doing harm.

Horrific. I had a feeling because the mother survived that it may have been a failed murder/suicide.

RIP children.

Idk.. personally, I don't like to jump to judgements before the police confirm, in a case like this. It's not always the sole survivor.. sometimes, they're every bit a victim too.

Not in this case, as it happens. Yup, I linked to the comment re the 2am cleanup, which I thought was very odd. In hindsight, the comments made by her uncle are a little bit telling, also.

What I don't get is, all these people who knew the family saying how happy they were, no signs at all of anything dreadfully wrong.. so what happened? I hope we find out. Because for someone with no history of problems to just snap like that.. it's quite scary.

Also, where was the step-dad while all this was happening? At work, maybe?

THE sounds of a woman pleading for forgiveness was heard coming from a Cairns home where eight children were found stabbed to death.

About 9pm on Thursday night a woman was claimed to have yelled: “Don’t let them take them away from us. God bless us. Forgive me for what I’ll do.”

Another neighbour said she saw the mother lugging personal possessions from her home to her front yard saying she was going to “make a fresh start”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ca...stabbed-to-death/story-fni0fiyv-1227162508648

OMG Ausgirl. :( I have been hoping it is not true with no official confirmation yet, but we can all do maths here. :(

I'm speechless, but I know we will hear more about the mental health system in coming days. Mental health and domestic violence are issues worldwide, but I do think Queensland has been going backwards in these areas in the last year from what I read about funding cuts, and have observed and experienced. I also feel that the whole Christmas/happy family/consumer hype places stress on people on far too many levels.
my opinion only

OMG Ausgirl. :( I have been hoping it is not true with no official confirmation yet, but we can all do maths here. :(

No need to do the maths (which don't always add up to guilt, anyways) -- police have confirmed it was the mother. I can only suppose she's confessed.

I was hoping it wasn't so, also, though. My soul literally hurts, thinking of the kids and if they were aware.... meh, I can't ponder it too much. Too much sadness this week. :(

I'm speechless, but I know we will hear more about the mental health system in coming days. Mental health and domestic violence are issues worldwide, but I do think Queensland has been going backwards in these areas in the last year from what I read about funding cuts, and have observed and experienced. I also feel that the whole Christmas/happy family/consumer hype places stress on people on far too many levels.
my opinion only

It is bad in the US for sure...(mental health care)...jmo

my opinion only

I absolutely agree. In the early reporting it was said that the family was known to officials. I read that as perhaps in the system due to mental illness of some type affecting the care of the children somewhat.

Regardless, it's a horrible tragedy for all involved.

Update from 1 hour ago:

Two adults have been taken to hospital. One is a 34-year-old woman — whom police confirmed to be the mother of seven of the dead children — and who was being treated for stab wounds to the chest and neck.

Neighbours have described her as “proud” and “very protective” of her brood, adding “she loved her children dearly”.

Police have stated they are not looking for anybody else in relation to the deaths and have yet to lay charges.

The woman is “assisting police with their inquiries” and “not in custody”, police said.

It is not clear whether the second person taken to hospital is the child’s stepfather, who lived at the address.

Late this afternoon, at a second media briefing, Det Inspector Asnicar said anyone who had contact with the family over the last two or three days was someone police wanted to speak with.

That included the 20-year-old brother who arrived at the house this morning and a man seen pacing around the property after police were called.

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...uburb-of-manoora/story-fnj4alav-1227161862831

I just watched the video and the reporter said one adult has died. Does anyone know if that was the step-father?

The one with the neck and chest wounds is the mother.

What went through their minds :( Did anyone else catch the article that said she was up cleaning with the children in the middle of the night? Now my hope that it wasn't a family member is gone, I hope that we don't find this is yet another massive failure of our system to keep innocent people safe and the unwell from doing harm.

I saw that too and wondered if the 2 am reference was misinformation but I guess not. So sad.....

Crime like this difficult to comprehend. Child victims completely innocent, what was going through a person mind who committed these terrible acts.
Insane or just evil?

Police obviously careful not to jump on conclusions, but likely a family member a culprit since they are not looking anyone in connection with crime

Crime like this difficult to comprehend. Child victims completely innocent, what was going through a person mind who committed these terrible acts.
Insane or just evil?

Police obviously careful not to jump on conclusions, but likely a family member a culprit since they are not looking anyone in connection with crime

I saw this on the news during my every morning waking up and can't sleep time and it makes me so sad what these kids must have gone through.

My first thoughts were that it was the mom, only because some of the kids seemed older and if this was some random murder, then they would have had to do it in such a way that the older kids couldn't intervene. I immediately thought that whoever did it, did it in some 'order.'

The holidays are a tough time for people, I am definitely not making excuses for her or whoever did it IN THE LEAST but these things tend to occur around this time of year as it brings out the loneliness and depression in people. And I hope no one goes criticizing the mental health system in Australia because the US is in deep doodoo in this area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back