Australia - Eight children killed in mass stabbing, Cairns, Qld, 19 Dec 2014 *Arrest*

MsF.. :hug: Then you know why some of the comments dismissing mental illness are so distressing to the survivors of it. Love to you, and whatever decision you make, you will know what's best for your own family, trust in that. :heart:

Nobody mentions the voluntary mental illness caused by abuse of alchohol and drugs. My mom used to tell me I shouldn't pay attention to her when she was drunk.

It took me years to realize what a backwards excuse that was.

Nobody mentions the voluntary mental illness caused by abuse of alchohol and drugs. My mom used to tell me I shouldn't pay attention to her when she was drunk.

It took me years to realize what a backwards excuse that was.

My mother is certainly much better when she is sober.
Though she is always a "glass half empty with acid on a table that's on fire" type of person.
She is not always so mean to other people when she is sober. :dunno:

I am not surprised that the killer is not a stranger, but the mother of the children killed. That is even worse. It is unthinkable.

“I said ‘come with me’, but she said: ‘Oh no dad, I’m going with my friends, my aunty,’” he said.

He was shocked by the news that the girl’s aunt could be responsible for the crime, saying that Warria had recently decided to turn her life around and was again attending church.

His daughter loved her friends, school and reading, the man added.

“When I dropped her at the house a week ago, everyone was happy,” he said.

“The last time I saw her she kissed me. She said she loved me and she asked for $100 which I said I’d give to her on Saturday morning on her birthday.

“My daughter, she was beautiful.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...uburb-of-manoora/story-fnj4alav-1227161862831

Is it possible that since there were already so many kids at the house that others tended to stay there a lot too? For a woman with a history who needed to 'turn her life around' that may have been a difficult burden ..

I was just talking to a friend who used to work in a bank in Cairns and was sent to work in the branch on Thursday Island while there .. he is telling me about the cultural differences.

There are islands that govt officials can't even go to, you can't talk to the Islander people about their cultural rituals, and when someone dies on the island the whole place has to stop.

He says everything on TI would be closed.

How tragic. I can't fathom how a mum could murder her own children. Those poor babies. RIP little ones.

To a pp, Cairns is hardly the outback.

While it is EASY to blame the whole situation on the failure of state services if other people are going to be blamed for this then the people closest to her can take some of that responsibility.

The father of the girl that was staying at the house said the woman was "turning her life around" which strongly implies prior problems. The woman had 7 kids by five different men. There were likely plenty of people close to the situation that could have noticed problems so where does CULTURAL RESPONSIBILITY come into play here?

If this could have been predicted and prevented then the failures were NOT just on the part of family services.

This reminds me of a similar case in Georgia. A woman with two small kids was obviously going crazy, she ran around naked with a butcher knife and tried to kill her brother (who lived next door), she walked down the street with her eyes closed and told neighbors "Jesus told her to walk that way". Despite all of the OBVIOUS signs and despite the fact she was living alone with her two small children none of them did ANYTHING. A couple of days later the woman stabbed her mentally retarded 2 year old daughter to death while the baby was sitting in a high chair.

Some cultures will accept bizarre and even downright insane behavior and look the other way.

I would assume life of this family was quite a mess. Woman has 8 children with 5 different men, men came and left.
Likely far from stable family environment every kid deserves.
One of her children was literally born in the middle of crosswalk, Somehow she didnt make it to hospital.
May be she is mental, may be just someone who enjoys drama & mayhem, trouble for herself and for everyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So then, I guess every single person that has murdered someone intentionally should be locked up in a mental facility? Gang bangers? Drug dealers? Serial killers?

Please tell me I'm taking this wrong.

Other cases on this forum that involve a man kidnapping, raping and intentionally murdering a child aren't afforded the same mental illness excuse that women usually are. I don't think that's fair.

I know many people disagree with this, and that's fine, but I truly believe that some people are just evil. Period. (I'm not saying the mother in this case is evil, FYI--just generalizing)

Please don't throw tomatoes, they hurt.

I agree what you say. There are women who are just as evil like Elizabeth Bathory, Belle Gunness, Gertrude Baniszewski, Diane Downs, Lori Drew, etc. I would not consider them mentally ill.

Some people are just bad seeds to begin with.

How tragic. I can't fathom how a mum could murder her own children. Those poor babies. RIP little ones.

To a pp, Cairns is hardly the outback.

When I think of Australian Outback, I think of the more Central and North Central area.

Yeah Cairns is hardly the outback, it's a town / city big enough to have suburbs.

She was saying twisted words: http://www.news.com.au/national/nei...d-dead-in-cairns/story-fncynjr2-1227163142200

New details in that article, yes 5 fathers, and one cousin who WAS staying over 'did a runner' just before midnight and when she came back at 3am 'Aunty Mali' was hurling furniture out of the house into the front yard and told her all the children were asleep.

A teenager out until 3am right?

Then there is this:

The friends say Aunty Mali had some months earlier torn out her part of Milili’s hair, leaving her deeply embarrassed and forced to shave her entire head, which was now growing back.

And this:

On the face of it, the Murray St area does not look like such a bad address. There are many worse-looking public housing areas in Australia. Here, they have large backyards and room for kids to run.

Up the road, yesterday morning, a woman who gave her name as Natasha, says Warria, whom she described a a cousin was normally a nice person.

Natasha says Murray St gets a bad rap. “The cops make it seem bad.”

But no one works, she says, and she doesn’t even know how much rent she pays – it comes straight out of her dole.

“It’s not as bad as it seems,” she says, taking a slug from her Jim Beam mixer can, at 6.45am.

:(

Police probe whether drug 'ice' played a role in Cairns child killings

THE house had a strict 10pm curfew. By daylight, Mersane Warria – also known as Raina Thaiday – was in a blind fit of rage.

She had been up all night searching for a missing child, throwing bedding into the back yard, screaming into the phone.

When the girl came home they fought violently, the teenager fled, and an unspeakable act of evil was committed.

Ms Warria, known as Aunty Mali, allegedly stabbed to death and suffocated seven of her own children and a niece in her family home in Cairns.

More new details at link.

http://www.news.com.au/national/police-probe-whether-drug-ice-played-a-role-in-cairns-child-killings/story-fncynjr2-1227163230745

Makes you wonder how bad things get in some communities before anyone steps in. Sounds to me like many of the other adults around had so many deep problems of their own to deal with they just couldn't take on someone elses, then there is the huge distrust of any authority or government department to go with it .. I don't know, but I think we can do better than leaving 8 children to live / stay with a woman who has clearly lost the plot and is already acting out violently and has substance abuse issues. Come on!!

Yeah Cairns is hardly the outback, it's a town / city big enough to have suburbs.

She was saying twisted words: http://www.news.com.au/national/nei...d-dead-in-cairns/story-fncynjr2-1227163142200

New details in that article, yes 5 fathers, and one cousin who WAS staying over 'did a runner' just before midnight and when she came back at 3am 'Aunty Mali' was hurling furniture out of the house into the front yard and told her all the children were asleep.

A teenager out until 3am right?

Then there is this:

The friends say Aunty Mali had some months earlier torn out her part of Milili’s hair, leaving her deeply embarrassed and forced to shave her entire head, which was now growing back.

And this:

On the face of it, the Murray St area does not look like such a bad address. There are many worse-looking public housing areas in Australia. Here, they have large backyards and room for kids to run.

Up the road, yesterday morning, a woman who gave her name as Natasha, says Warria, whom she described a a cousin was normally a nice person.

Natasha says Murray St gets a bad rap. “The cops make it seem bad.”

But no one works, she says, and she doesn’t even know how much rent she pays – it comes straight out of her dole.

“It’s not as bad as it seems,” she says, taking a slug from her Jim Beam mixer can, at 6.45am.

:(

:doh::gaah:

The truth of the matter is we all act like this kind of thing is OK amongst the indigenous population because nobody knows what to do about it .. actually the real truth is that most Australians look upon it with amazement and a sort of amusement, because we have given up thinking it will ever change or get any better, and clearly we stopped thinking about the poor kids living with it a long time ago. Actually to point it out almost feels borderline racist, if it is, it is, it's the truth.

Police probe whether drug 'ice' played a role in Cairns child killings

THE house had a strict 10pm curfew. By daylight, Mersane Warria – also known as Raina Thaiday – was in a blind fit of rage.

She had been up all night searching for a missing child, throwing bedding into the back yard, screaming into the phone.

When the girl came home they fought violently, the teenager fled, and an unspeakable act of evil was committed.

Ms Warria, known as Aunty Mali, allegedly stabbed to death and suffocated seven of her own children and a niece in her family home in Cairns.

More new details at link.

http://www.news.com.au/national/police-probe-whether-drug-ice-played-a-role-in-cairns-child-killings/story-fncynjr2-1227163230745

Makes you wonder how bad things get in some communities before anyone steps in. Sounds to me like many of the other adults around had so many deep problems of their own to deal with they just couldn't take on someone elses, then there is the huge distrust of any authority or government department to go with it .. I don't know, but I think we can do better than leaving 8 children to live / stay with a woman who has clearly lost the plot and is already acting out violently and has substance abuse issues. Come on!!

I wonder if Mersane Warria/Raina Thaiday had history of substance abuse.

Good grief. I said "outback" a little bit hyperbolically. Is it really such a big deal?

Sonja, respectfully, it isn't "EASY" to blame authorities, it's almost perfunctory in parts of this country thanks to their spectacularly bad record of dealing appropriately with child abuse and domestic violence.

And how does anyone KNOW whether "the community" contacted them or not? Look at the case of poor little Tanilla Warwick-Deaves, for one example among countless examples, where the community - including relatives - made 33 calls to the authorities with serious concerns for her safety, and nothing was done to save her.

The whole situation is mind-bendingly complex and the structures in place that are meant to help are deeply flawed. In some areas of Aus, the police are - rightfully- seen as the 'enemy' for the corruption and terrible abuse they've handed out over the years. In some sections of this country, police won't even bother attending, if you did call them. I have personal experience with this, from several decades ago - and in it seems nothing much has changed, in some areas.

Really, if we're apportioning blame, the whole nation has to stand culpable, as we ALL sit back and let this crap happen. It's been happening for decades, upon decades. And not just for the indigenous people! Speaking of, Mrs. G has it right - when this happens in an indigenous community, you do feel racist talking about the problems in the community that perhaps contributed. I reckon we should talk about it a lot more, as look where not doing so is getting us.

And as a *nation* we ought to stand up and force our public authorities to do the job our taxes pay them to fricken do. We ought to demand that *every* child, no matter where they're from, is protected from abuse and neglect -- promptly and properly. It'd be a start. And perhaps the next household full of kids at risk might survive.

Don't mean to rant, but the situation here IS that dire, and it's heartbreaking, as one of these kids grown up, to see it STILL going on, all the same issues, same problems, all these many years later. Just the same as it did in my day.

Also, how many fathers the kids had has NOTHING to do with their murders. Many wonderful mothers have kids to different dads. So do many bad ones. IMO it's a pointless moral judgement. I really can never see the point of the "well, there ya go" sentiment, on that issue. If the child of a parent who's had several partners, or the parent themselves, achieves something wonderful, how many sit back and say "ooh, well there ya go...". :\

What do people think about the school truancy issue, here is how Abbott proposed to address it last year: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...to-cut-aboriginal-truancy-20130315-2g66r.html

My take on this is confusion.

Do we force aboriginal Australians to send their kids to school, and if they don't pay a fine, that could only put more stress on the household right and the kids will just suffer more, do we cut welfare payments if the kids hardly ever go, what happens to everyone then? Like really WTF do we do?? Also is it right to force a population of indigenous people to 'live white'? What if they don't want their kids to go to school, what if they maybe do but really don't care and think it's pointless, and don't care if their kids just 'hang out' instead? What if they wanted to live outside of our system and learn to fish and hunt, would that be OK? (I'd be happy to see that personally), but the reality is that some of these parents are so far gone on alcohol and domestic violence (domestic violence on a level that white Australians could barely comprehend) that sending their kids to school is the last thing on their minds, and waaaaaay down in the priority list, after school where are the jobs anyway, the reality is most of the kids will just follow their parents into the same sad lifestyle that sees something like a third of aboriginal Australians dead by their early 40's. These are the issues right?

On top of that there's the grog and violence, we don't have enough resources in remote communities to deal with it. Has anyone here ever owned a pub in a town with a large aboriginal population? A friend of mine just walked out on his, the amount of violence he suffered was completely outrageous .. there wasn't a local police force he could call, he had to keep weapons behind the bar at all times and be ready to use them. If things had gone the wrong way he has no idea what was going to happen to him, he couldn't sleep at night, he looks like he's aged 20 years in 10, now he's happy doing odd jobs even though he's always been a property developer, he lost a lot of money but is happy to be out of there, he hasn't sold the building, he just shut the doors and walked away. He may never find a buyer.

I don't think people get it. Every Australian should travel to remote parts of Australia and just take a look at it, feel it out, take two weeks out of your life and go. Leave the tourist trail and travel off the beaten track, or just go to Cairns, Alice Springs, Darwin and Kalgoorie with your eyes open and at night. We talk the most rubbish publicly when it comes to this issue, because we are at a complete loss now, we thought we were going to get somewhere with it, but now I think it's finally dawned on everyone that we've 'got nothing' .. god only knows where it will end up.

Watch this story die in the next few days as the media starts to feel awkward about it, they don't really know what to say, they can't really publish the kids photos or their names without offending the ways of the Torres Strait islanders so they can't humanise the story, on top of that there are the awkward social issues, and raising the same old problems seems trite and we're weary of it, and we feel so goddamned WHITE when we say anything, so I guess we'll just leave it to whoever can come up with a new policy, if that's even right.

All the policies we've tried so far have all been an epic fail.

So then, I guess every single person that has murdered someone intentionally should be locked up in a mental facility? Gang bangers? Drug dealers? Serial killers?

Please tell me I'm taking this wrong.

Other cases on this forum that involve a man kidnapping, raping and intentionally murdering a child aren't afforded the same mental illness excuse that women usually are. I don't think that's fair.

I know many people disagree with this, and that's fine, but I truly believe that some people are just evil. Period. (I'm not saying the mother in this case is evil, FYI--just generalizing)

Please don't throw tomatoes, they hurt.

Every time a man is involved in a mass shooting, the mental illness "excuse" is brought up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back