AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in my mind, a scenario could evolve like this.
Wendy contacts Donnie after talking to the detective...Donnie informs her that he is with Brittney.
Somehow, somewhere the three are together.

Wendy obtains Brittney's gun or kills her by some other means, or convinces Donnie to kill her to prevent him/them going to jail. She may have even made up some part of the story to anger him against Brittney, then they both dispose of the body. Maybe one of them is smart enough to remove the battery from her phone to avoid it pinging their location.

Donnie is overcome with remorse and takes his own life?

It makes sense but would be hard to prove.

Such a scenario has certainly always made sense to me. I doubt LE told her the name of any witness, but I could see LE claiming to have a witness that has been talking to LE and the family assumed it was Brittney. I also still wouldn't be surprised if each and everyone of them know, have knowledge or participated in Brittney going missing, whether they acquiesced, were active or were simply told after the fact or even just put pieces of the puzzle together.

Detective Eric Winberg was once the lead on the sex abuse investigation. He told Andrew Perez in his interview they had been looking to talk to Brittney about the sex abuse investigation before she disappeared. She was the "golden nugget". He said Brittney could tell the WHOLE story. He also said Brittney was one of the only victims who knew others were being abused. Obviously, Brittney was VERY important to their case! How did they know Brittney was the golden nugget. Who told them about Brittney? The child victim of maybe RSW?

Where did LE look for Brittney? Chessie's house? Paternal grandma's house? Maybe they asked Wendy where they could find Brittney? Did they ask Wendy how to reach Brittney? Or...Did LE even look for Brittney? Was the detectives comment just a blanket statement? A lot of questions left to be answered regarding if and when LE had made any attempts to contact Brittney.

The FB messages. Even if LE didn't know about the FB exchange until after she disappeared, Brittney was a VERY important part of their investigation. If we go by what Det. Winberg states, Brittney was part of their investigation before and when Wendy received the visit from the detective. Did Wendy find out LE was looking for Brittney?

Another thing about the FB messages. We did not see ALL of the discussion. Bessie caught a snip of Andrew's article. This article even tells us the FB conversation continued for some time. So we don't know everything Brittney said. We do know the FB conversation happened just days before Wendy was visited by the detective. A coincidence? What else was discussed? Also, could someone in the house have had access to Brittney's FB? Example, could Chessie have read the FB messages?

By Andrew Perez Photojournalist: James McConatha
Updated: Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:19 PM CDT - Published: Wednesday, April 24, 2013, 8:19 AM CDT

In a series of Facebook messages investigators believe are between Brittney and one of the alleged victims, Brittney writes on May 27, "Hey beautiful. How are you? Tell me what's going on. I don't know what's true and what you said."

The alleged victim then identifies relatives Randall Scott Wood, Dustin Kent, and Donald Holland as abusers - writing in part: "They raped me."

The conversation continues for quite some time, sharing heartbreaking details. Brittney, however, ends it saying in part, "I love you. I'm sorry."

"I feel that that was their attempt to reach out to one another and say, 'Hey, this is what's going on here,'" said Det. Winberg.

The alleged victim then writes repeatedly to Brittney on May 28 and again on May 30, with no response.
May 30 was the last time Brittney was seen alive, traveling with her uncle, Donald Holland, to a home in the Styx River area in Baldwin County.

I think we are missing one very important detail. Who told LE about Brittney's involvement? Who was actively working with LE? No one had been arrested before Brittney disappeared. But only one perp was talking to LE at the time. RSW. Maybe Randall told someone LE was looking for Brittney? He could have told any or all of his 3 sisters, mother, Derek, etc...

Interview, part 1 and 2:
http://youtu.be/pcBtgZ5U40w
http://youtu.be/_U6ouTcDzHY

:newyear: Merry Christman and happy holidays to everyone! :christmastree:

Commenting on this article....

By Andrew Perez Photojournalist: James McConatha
Updated: Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:19 PM CDT - Published: Wednesday, April 24, 2013, 8:19 AM CDT

In a series of Facebook messages investigators believe are between Brittney and one of the alleged victims, Brittney writes on May 27, "Hey beautiful. How are you? Tell me what's going on. I don't know what's true and what you said."

The alleged victim then identifies relatives Randall Scott Wood, Dustin Kent, and Donald Holland as abusers - writing in part: "They raped me."

The conversation continues for quite some time, sharing heartbreaking details. Brittney, however, ends it saying in part, "I love you. I'm sorry."

"I feel that that was their attempt to reach out to one another and say, 'Hey, this is what's going on here,'" said Det. Winberg.

The alleged victim then writes repeatedly to Brittney on May 28 and again on May 30, with no response.
May 30 was the last time Brittney was seen alive, traveling with her uncle, Donald Holland, to a home in the Styx River area in Baldwin County

So sad. I am guessing that Brittney may have got real upset at the perps after hearing from the victim who she seems to be befriending. Perhaps Brittney got really pizzed off at the perps and decided that enough is enough and she was going to spill all the beans on everyone no matter who goes down.

If something like that happened, and combined with Donnie getting questioned as well, it seems that some of the perp(s) got wind that they were about to be exposed.

I continue to think both Brittney and Donnie were killed. I just dont think Donnie killed himself. And since it was Brittney's gun, I am afraid she was killed first. Then her gun was used against Donnie to silence him.

And if you think about it, the silencing attempt worked for quite awhile because we are just now getting around to some justice. Once the child sex trials are over then the next step is to get justice for whoever did any murdering.

.....snipped for space.....

I think we are missing one very important detail. Who told LE about Brittney's involvement? Who was actively working with LE? No one had been arrested before Brittney disappeared. But only one perp was talking to LE at the time. RSW. Maybe Randall told someone LE was looking for Brittney? He could have told any or all of his 3 sisters, mother, Derek, etc...

If Brittney was as mad as I think she got after talking to the victim in the FB exchange, it could have been Brittney herself who told others that she was fixing to talk to LE and spill the beans on every single one of them to stop the abuse of children.

Afterall she had her own child at that point, and I am sure she began thinking about her own child and that the same thing could eventually happen to her child. I really think that FB exchange may have caused her to hit a breaking point with the whole lot of them. Even if it meant that others would maybe say some things about her to LE. It may not have mattered to her after she had that FB exchange with the victim.

Just speculating of course.

Brittney's largest FB support group (THSFBW) has posted several beautiful Christmas messages, her next largest FB support group (WWSFTTABW) shared this NCMEC holiday message, and nada on the little one run by her mother. (WWSFBW)

10407625_10153633253656988_5393922815303891896_n.png

https://www.facebook.com/missingkid....469085.32507971987/10153633253656988/?type=1

Merry Christmas to Steph & Wally and to all of you here on WS.

If Brittney was as mad as I think she got after talking to the victim in the FB exchange, it could have been Brittney herself who told others that she was fixing to talk to LE and spill the beans on every single one of them to stop the abuse of children.

Afterall she had her own child at that point, and I am sure she began thinking about her own child and that the same thing could eventually happen to her child. I really think that FB exchange may have caused her to hit a breaking point with the whole lot of them. Even if it meant that others would maybe say some things about her to LE. It may not have mattered to her after she had that FB exchange with the victim.

I think you may have hit on something here...Brittney's motivation for coming forward.

I am sure that after the FB exchange with the unnamed girl who was raped, Brittney probably knew the feeling all too well what she was going through. Torn between what happened to her and duty to family she was probably crushed with anguish. The mitigating factor could have been her daughter. Brittney would have been willing to tell all to protect her daughter from what would surely be a future of sexual abuse.

She may have had initial conversations with cops or family members she may have thought she could trust.... and others became scared of the possibility of life in jail so she had to be eliminated.

I think you may have hit on something here...Brittney's motivation for coming forward.

I am sure that after the FB exchange with the unnamed girl who was raped, Brittney probably knew the feeling all too well what she was going through. Torn between what happened to her and duty to family she was probably crushed with anguish. The mitigating factor could have been her daughter. Brittney would have been willing to tell all to protect her daughter from what would surely be a future of sexual abuse.

She may have had initial conversations with cops or family members she may have thought she could trust.... and others became scared of the possibility of life in jail so she had to be eliminated.

I don't believe Brittney was the only one willing to tell all so I'm not convinced that the powerful testimony Brittney could have given is the primary motive why Brittney was killed. This is supported by multiple victim's powerful testimony we've read about recently. And hindsight provides us with the knowledge that this telling all by multiple persons was already happening before Brittney disappeared. Was Brittney just one of several that were telling all? But the only one the killer(s) knew about?

But going with this for now, would this might have been the time that Brittney supposedly wrote a letter and gave it to a friend for safekeeping? As alleged in the letters to and from Wendy, FOX10 shared with the public that now are part of the investigation? Those letters were made public at the same time that FOX10 reported Donald's suicide case was being re-opened. No other media source besides FOX10 ever reported on those letters, right?

Well ... and, if believed, the only reported argument BW had on that fateful day was one with her own mother, CW ...

Wonder why the prosecutor is saving CW's trial for last?

I remember reading the detectives visit was unexpected, but do we know If he called Wendy before the visit? Unexpected doesn't necessarily mean he didn't call first. Even if it was an hour before the visit. Just wondering if Wendy had any notice before the detective came to the home.

This entire case would make an incredible book. I really need someone to write it to help me keep all the facts straight...its unbelievable that this family was so perverse. Its sickening. My mind continues to struggle wrapping around these things, even after all this time.

Gosh that is a great post Lash. LE called Brittney a victim, how DID they know this? And I never thought before was anything said about Brittney's whereabouts when LE was visiting with WWH? Great post. I strongly feel WWH went to Styx river house that night.

A family's sex crimes to murders: Baldwin and Mobile counties top 2014 court stories
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2014/12/a_familys_sex_crimes_and_murde.html
The Wood family: Child sex abuse, missing mother
In 2014, cases against several people who were accused of sexually abusing children in a family were resolved either by trials or plea deals.

What 2014 didn't bring is any answers as to the whereabouts one of the family members. Brittney Wood, a young mother of a daughter, has been missing since May 30, 2012. Baldwin County Sheriff Huey "Hoss" Mack said in August that circumstantial evidence suggest that Wood is dead.
Short summary of the 6 individual cases heard by Baldwin County Courts this calendar year.

I had a thought...
What I am wondering is if any LE is working the case specifically from Brittney's murder, or are they dedicating themselves to getting a conviction for the sex abuse crimes. Each would require different investigative objectives and one would not necessarily lead to conviction in the other.

To assure Brittney receives the best possible chance at justice, a dedicated investigator could gain access to information that might be key to her case and build on it, rather than focusing on the sex abuse case and Brittney's murder becomes secondary.

If anyone knows...how is law enforcement proceeding with Brittney's investigation?

This related/not related history of Brittney's case and the child sex abusers combined with the overlapping jurisdictions between Mobile and Baldwin counties, and throw in the Child Advocacy Center ( http://www.cacmobile.org/ ) I wouldn't think there's any doubt, they have all the victims in mind but only natural to focus on protecting those still alive. But this person may have the missing person priority.
From Brittney's NamUs listing:
Title Sergeant
First name Scott
Last name Congleton
Phone (251) 208-7211
Website
Case number 120600259
Date reported
Jurisdiction Local
Agency Mobile Police Department
Address 1 2460 Government Street
Address 2
City Mobile
State Alabama
Zip code 36606
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/17200

This is a good read from about a year ago on this same topic.
Prosecuting child sex abuse: inside the Brittney Wood family saga
http://blog.al.com/live/2013/10/prosecuting_child_sex_abuse_in.html#incart_river_default
Here's a classic:
Not related
Authorities continue to maintain Brittney Wood's May 30, 2012, disappearance is not linked to the child sex-abuse cases pending against at least 11 of her family members and their friends in Mobile and Baldwin counties.

KateB, when is Chessie's court date? TIA

IDK. No date has been said that I've seen. Or for any of the Mobile County cases for that matter.

I still wonder what the meaning of Brittney being the 'golden nugget' really means. Was she the only one that LE trusted would tell the truth? Did the think her siblings, and those of that generation would attempt to cover up what had been going on, and was continuing? Did she ever have any communication with LE at all before she disappeared? Like maybe a phone call, email, anything? If LE was truly looking for Brittney, wouldn't they go to her known relatives to see if she was there? Starting with her Mom, her Grandma, and then aunts/uncles? My understanding is that this is a small area, so likely someone would have known where she was. Or was the investigation in such early stages that LE hadn't actually gotten to looking for her yet?

I would think once LE realized that Brittney truly was missing, and not just hiding from them, or avoiding them, they would have gotten access to her SM, phone records, etc., and then realized the contact Brittney had with the other victim.

I'm still wondering what actually set off the investigation at that time. I know one of the guys started talking to LE and tipped them into what was going on, but still am not sure what was told to LE at that time. Maybe the guilty conscious was eating at him? Don't know. I'm glad he did come forth though!!

As for Brittney given up custody, for many reasons I can understand that, and it must have been heartbreaking. You've grown up your entire life being abused, now you have an innocent child of your own, and don't want that life for them. She also didn't have a job, no real 'home', so providing the basics would have been difficult. There was no stability. And 'if' Brittney was involved in selling those prescription meds, or being pimped out to get 'high', then she realized that was no life for her child. Maybe in some ways the child was 'in the way' of the lifestyle that Brittney knew. After all, it had been happening since she was child, and she was around these same people routinely, so she knew when the grooming started, what the family get togethers involved, etc. I just see no way that Chelsea didn't know as well. I don't know how Chelsea's husband wouldn't know. Maybe he distanced himself from that family, and didn't join in the cookouts, etc., or went for the meal and then left? That part I don't think was ever clearly defined.

Brittney was also of the age that typically finds fault with their Mom, and typically doesn't want to be around them. Perhaps even resentment that she wasn't protected, nor believed in the first allegations and subsequent conviction of her 'step grand father'. Ever child should have that support from their parents, but it appears Brittney didn't have it from either parent. For some reason she didn't feel safe, or confident enough to confide in her Dad, and step Mom what was still going on. Perhaps the reactions from family to that first trial set the tone for her keeping quiet, and going with the flow. Obviously she was being abused. The only reason I can see her wanting to be around Donald is that he was her sugar daddy of sorts. Yes he made or encouraged her to do wrong things, but if that was the only one she could turn to for money, for partying, etc., perhaps she felt trapped with nowhere else to turn. I guess we'll never know her thoughts, and true mental anguish or reasons for her actions. So sad. She needed someone in her corner, protecting her, guiding her, helping her to make a way to support herself. Yet it sadly was lacking. And who would want to confide in a friend of what all was going on? Afraid that friend would tell someone, or disown their friendship. If you can't trust family, who do you trust? Did Brittney have anyone to confide in? Anyone she could trust?

I want to know when those letters will be revealed in a trial, and the true contents of them. I keep meaning to write that reporter and ask for a copy, and keep forgetting. I wonder if he would send a copy? What I was able to figure out, and what others have posted weren't the same, so I'd love to know what was truly in them, and who wrote them! No I don't think it will bring Brittney back, but those letters where important enough for someone to write. And the mention of it being so long that they wouldn't know Brittney's writing, or something of that sort intrigues me. Someone knew Brittney wasn't coming back. WHO?

I wonder if Brittney did write that letter to her friend for safe keeping? Or did she tell someone that to hopefully scare them into thinking that if something did happen her to her, the family secrets would be exposed! Brittney feared something. Whether she had been threatened to keep quiet, or go along with a story line we'll probably never know. But you don't typically let others know you left a letter in safe keeping for no reason.

Thinking along that line, I've only heard of letters being written when a spouse is being abused, and fears for their life, and will write a letter and leave it in a safe box, or somewhere safe to be opened if something does happen to them. I think it's rare that's it done, but have seen cases on ID where it's happened.

Whether that letter exists or not, 'they' believed it did, and was desperate to get their hands on it before LE did. That was part of that letter written and shown on FOX that time. If it does exist, does it detail the life she was living? Or does it state that should anything to happen to her to look at so and so because they had threatened her?

I still wonder what the meaning of Brittney being the 'golden nugget' really means. Was she the only one that LE trusted would tell the truth? Did the think her siblings, and those of that generation would attempt to cover up what had been going on, and was continuing? Did she ever have any communication with LE at all before she disappeared? Like maybe a phone call, email, anything? If LE was truly looking for Brittney, wouldn't they go to her known relatives to see if she was there? Starting with her Mom, her Grandma, and then aunts/uncles? My understanding is that this is a small area, so likely someone would have known where she was. Or was the investigation in such early stages that LE hadn't actually gotten to looking for her yet?

I would think once LE realized that Brittney truly was missing, and not just hiding from them, or avoiding them, they would have gotten access to her SM, phone records, etc., and then realized the contact Brittney had with the other victim.

I'm still wondering what actually set off the investigation at that time. I know one of the guys started talking to LE and tipped them into what was going on, but still am not sure what was told to LE at that time. Maybe the guilty conscious was eating at him? Don't know. I'm glad he did come forth though!!

As for Brittney given up custody, for many reasons I can understand that, and it must have been heartbreaking. You've grown up your entire life being abused, now you have an innocent child of your own, and don't want that life for them. She also didn't have a job, no real 'home', so providing the basics would have been difficult. There was no stability. And 'if' Brittney was involved in selling those prescription meds, or being pimped out to get 'high', then she realized that was no life for her child. Maybe in some ways the child was 'in the way' of the lifestyle that Brittney knew. After all, it had been happening since she was child, and she was around these same people routinely, so she knew when the grooming started, what the family get togethers involved, etc. I just see no way that Chelsea didn't know as well. I don't know how Chelsea's husband wouldn't know. Maybe he distanced himself from that family, and didn't join in the cookouts, etc., or went for the meal and then left? That part I don't think was ever clearly defined.

Brittney was also of the age that typically finds fault with their Mom, and typically doesn't want to be around them. Perhaps even resentment that she wasn't protected, nor believed in the first allegations and subsequent conviction of her 'step grand father'. Ever child should have that support from their parents, but it appears Brittney didn't have it from either parent. For some reason she didn't feel safe, or confident enough to confide in her Dad, and step Mom what was still going on. Perhaps the reactions from family to that first trial set the tone for her keeping quiet, and going with the flow. Obviously she was being abused. The only reason I can see her wanting to be around Donald is that he was her sugar daddy of sorts. Yes he made or encouraged her to do wrong things, but if that was the only one she could turn to for money, for partying, etc., perhaps she felt trapped with nowhere else to turn. I guess we'll never know her thoughts, and true mental anguish or reasons for her actions. So sad. She needed someone in her corner, protecting her, guiding her, helping her to make a way to support herself. Yet it sadly was lacking. And who would want to confide in a friend of what all was going on? Afraid that friend would tell someone, or disown their friendship. If you can't trust family, who do you trust? Did Brittney have anyone to confide in? Anyone she could trust?

I want to know when those letters will be revealed in a trial, and the true contents of them. I keep meaning to write that reporter and ask for a copy, and keep forgetting. I wonder if he would send a copy? What I was able to figure out, and what others have posted weren't the same, so I'd love to know what was truly in them, and who wrote them! No I don't think it will bring Brittney back, but those letters where important enough for someone to write. And the mention of it being so long that they wouldn't know Brittney's writing, or something of that sort intrigues me. Someone knew Brittney wasn't coming back. WHO?

I don't know much about Brittney's biological dad but I wouldn't go so far as to say that she had no support from him. I also wouldn't be comfortable saying she didn't feel safe enough to tell her dad about the sexual abuse.
Abuse victims often feel shame. They shouldn't but they do. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to tell your dad you have been sexually abused by multiple family members all of your life.
In addition, I have no doubt that Brittney was fearful that no one would believe her. If I'm honest, I know the abuse happened and my mind still won't wrap around the complexity and depth of the perversity of this family. I'm sure she was told that no one would believe her if she said what was happening to her and others on a regular basis.
My prayer is that we can one day know what happened to Brittney Wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member