MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back to see when this thread for Jacob started -- looks like 2010? Lots of good information, discussion and new ideas. Though we are evaluating the case with one arm tied behind our backs because we're unable to see the details about prior suspects, etc. etc., as Human said at least we're still giving Jacob the attention he deserves. It's a mystery to unlock but moreover, it's untenable to accept that a young man was most likely brutalized and buried (my opinion), with no justice in sight. Well, at this point, what's justice? Did Jacob and Jared's offender(s) continue to inflict pain and torment on young souls? If so then the inability to solve their cases is further multiplied in terms of damage done and heartache wrought. My words are not about blame, but bewilderment at the lack of progress. Certainly there are many cases in which the perpetrator remains unknown. But with all that is known about Jacob and Jared, I continue to marvel at how a bold sex offender (s) successfully committed his deeds in a small town and got away with it. Someone not only knows this man but has a hunch about what he did. Could it be that he was so good at his methodology that neither the FBI, LE nor anyone else have been able to assemble the facts and data to hone in on the culprit. Oh wait, they did -- DR is their POI.

I started posting on Jacob's thread back in 2004. Some of the other posters here were there back then. There used to be two threads for Jacob, one under Cold Cases and one under Minnesota missing, and at some point they were merged. I'm not sure what happened to all our posts and threads from 2004 to 2010. They appear to be missing. I have a vague recollection of a large crash of the WS board at one time, so maybe all those posts were lost forever? Not sure.

Also, I just wanted to point out that DR has only been named a POI for Jacob's case, not for Jared.

Many thanks, Shergal!!! Gosh, you've been at this '04 ... I started working on Guimond 2001 ... I've made zero progress except to support and encourage his family. I made zero headway with Stearns Cnty sheriff ... my main suspect is now deceased ... yet I persist. Jacob ... this case infuriates me because in my heart I feel it should have been solved. At times it feels like we're on a mobius strip.

I'm a MN native and can only echo Patty Wetterling's question: what the heck is going on in Central MN and who is covering it up? My question extends to St. John's and the cover up of sexual abuse of boys and girls as pedo priests were rotated out of parishes. Are these things related?

Even though we rehash the info,so what!

Even the recent killing of Hannah Graham is way down on WS.

I am glad we are keeping Jacob's case on here fresh!

I'm glad too! I have been following missing children's cases since Kyron Horman disappeared, but I didn't hear anything at all about Jacob's case until very recently.

I'm a MN native and can only echo Patty Wetterling's question: what the heck is going on in Central MN and who is covering it up? My question extends to St. John's and the cover up of sexual abuse of boys and girls as pedo priests were rotated out of parishes. Are these things related?
A person has to wonder. Is this a radial point with concentric circles of abuse? How many abusers come directly from there or are tangentially related? I have family and friends who are Catholic but would never be a part of this....so I think it's the proverbial bad apples who may retain a sphere of influence. Wonder how this MN location compares geographically and statistically with other parts of the country? Seems like ALOT of bad apples within a small circumference.

I've always thought Amy looks similar to Jacob, same type eyes. That suspect sketch on the left side of Amy's site (Dean Runkle?) matches the suspect sketch from the other attempted abduction in St. Joe before Jacob was taken. I think the boy's name was Andrew? And the vehicle was a tan or brown van with rust and a "Catch Me if you Can" bumper sticker. I'll go find a link to that attempt.

Going through articles tonight, I ran across an article from the November 1, 1989 Elyria, Ohio Chronicle-Telegram. The article was about Amy Mihaljevic's kidnapping. The sketch of the man involved in the attempted abduction in St. Joseph in the summer 1989 was featured in that article. His description did not match that of the other sketches in Amy M's case, and FBI agent Byron Gigler was quoted in the paper as stating so. Interesting that back in 1989 LE was communicating pretty closely, trying to connect crimes like these.

Yes, Amy + Jacob have a similar 'look'. And the suspects seem like they could be connected. I think that's good that LE was trying to connect these cases. Having said that, it adds to the confusion that there are so many of these creeps.

Going through articles tonight, I ran across an article from the November 1, 1989 Elyria, Ohio Chronicle-Telegram. The article was about Amy Mihaljevic's kidnapping. The sketch of the man involved in the attempted abduction in St. Joseph in the summer 1989 was featured in that article. His description did not match that of the other sketches in Amy M's case, and FBI agent Byron Gigler was quoted in the paper as stating so. Interesting that back in 1989 LE was communicating pretty closely, trying to connect crimes like these.

Hmmf.....that is interesting. Why post the sketch if it did not match sketches in Amy's case? I see what you're saying....

I've been reading WS since 2007.....regarding Jacob's case: despite all of the ruminations, theories, etc......there's 3 things I cannot get past:

1. Sound in the grass(Aaron stated this repeatedly-near the abduction spot)
2. Perp emerged from the East from DR's driveway
3. Gravelly, raspy voice.

Ok

Can you provide a link to the Elyria article?

What year did DR lose his job at Cold Spring Elementary? Were the growing developments in the case playing a part in their decision to part ways?

Good question. Weren't there some parents that expressed concern about their kids being in DR's class after he was named a POI?

A person has to wonder. Is this a radial point with concentric circles of abuse? How many abusers come directly from there or are tangentially related? I have family and friends who are Catholic but would never be a part of this....so I think it's the proverbial bad apples who may retain a sphere of influence. Wonder how this MN location compares geographically and statistically with other parts of the country? Seems like ALOT of bad apples within a small circumference.

Hasn't it been noted in the past that St. John's Abbey is where 'predators' are sent? I think that would skew any statistical analysis.

What year did DR lose his job at Cold Spring Elementary? Were the growing developments in the case playing a part in their decision to part ways?

I've never heard that DR lost his job. They had a "helper" in his classroom for a while after the 2010 searches, to reassure parents who were upset about what they'd read. But as far as I know, he's still teaching there. If you know that he did indeed lose his job, do you have a link to that? Thanks!

DR never lost his job. In fact, "Mr. Bee Bop" is very popular with his students. His record with the school system shows absolutely no problems.

image.jpg

Interesting.

Photos not mine.
Credits to Elocsoul and Shergal for point to St. Cloud Times
And James Wrenner / Owutatangledweb for pointing to Amy M case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors