AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking more and more about the FB messages between Brittney and the child victim on the 27th:

• I do recall reading LE did not know about the FB exchange until after Brittney's disappearance but I cannot find it. However, in an active investigation LE is not obligated to tell the public anything. As well, they can give misleading info to protect the integrity of the case. In my opinion, it is possible LE did know about the Facebook messages and it could have been the reason they were looking for Brittney. Maybe the reason for the detective to visit Wendy, maybe looking for Britt and/or something was in the FB messages about Wendy.

• Even if LE did not know about the messages, did others know? We now know on May 27th, Chessie did know about the allegations against Donnie. Contrary to what she told MSM in the beginning. Chessie lied. Chessie did know about the sex abuse investigation before and when Brittney disappeared. Supposedly, she did not want Britt hanging around Donnie. As well, Chessie now believes Britt went to confront Donnie about the sex abuse. Total 360 degree turn.

• Would Brittney have told her mom about the FB messages? I'm not sure. If she did, I believe Chessie would have told her sister Wendy about the FB exchange. I also believe Chessie would have wanted to read the messages. I believe this would have created a lot of back and forth arguing with Chessie, Wendy and Britt.

• Whether Brittney did or did not tell Chessie, did Chessie see the messages? All it would take is Brittney leaving her phone unattended for a few minutes. Maybe while she was taking a shower? Britt's phone may not have been password protected and like most she did not log out on FB. Chessie could have picked up Britt's phone. All Chessie had to do was hit the FB icon and read Britt's messages. In my opinion in this scenario, Chessie would have confronted Brittney. I definitely believe this would have caused an argument and much more.

• Back to who knew about the messages. The above scenario could also play out with Wendy and the child victim. I believe the child was still spending time with Wendy, but not Donnie. I can't recall for certain whether or not we know the victim was with Wendy around the 27th-30th. If she was, it is very possible Wendy had access to the child victims Facebook. I think the same would have played out, Wendy would have called Chessie. I can only imagine it would cause some chaos.

• Going back to what all was discussed in those messages. Did Britt tell the victim she was also abused? Did she tell the victim she could relate? If any of this occurred, I believe this would have created a heated environment and arguing between Chessie, Britt and Wendy.

• Then adding to all the above scenarios, we KNOW Wendy was hacking Brittney's FB and phone while her husband laid dying in the hospital. We also now KNOW Brittney and Chessie were arguing when Brittney allegedly left her house. We also KNOW Wendy was visited by the detective on May 30th.

Thinking more and more about the FB messages between Brittney and the child victim on the 27th:

• I do recall reading LE did not know about the FB exchange until after Brittney's disappearance but I cannot find it. However, in an active investigation LE is not obligated to tell the public anything. As well, they can give misleading info to protect the integrity of the case. In my opinion, it is possible LE did know about the Facebook messages and it could have been the reason they were looking for Brittney. Maybe the reason for the detective to visit Wendy, maybe looking for Britt and/or something was in the FB messages about Wendy.

<snip>

Snipped to address this part while thinking of all the other parts.
I found where that information came from. This post from Steph.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Mobile-31-May-2012-13&p=10591021#post10591021
I wonder who showed LE the FB exchange and/or how it was obtained,too. But this does not change the rest of your theory at all. Either way, the outcome would have been the same, IMO. Because I still believe LE knew about the information directly from the victim before the 27th, just don't think they knew she also shared it with Brittney, when they visited Wendy on May 30. IDK. But there's the link we both were looking for.

Also, her brothers were actively involved in the abuse. It would have been very difficult for her to tell her dad THAT. Her stepmother has posted several times on this thread. From what I gather, The father's side of the family did not know what was going on. They do seem very active in trying to find out what happened to Brittany.
I don't know much about Brittney's biological dad but I wouldn't go so far as to say that she had no support from him. I also wouldn't be comfortable saying she didn't feel safe enough to tell her dad about the sexual abuse.
Abuse victims often feel shame. They shouldn't but they do. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to tell your dad you have been sexually abused by multiple family members all of your life.
In addition, I have no doubt that Brittney was fearful that no one would believe her. If I'm honest, I know the abuse happened and my mind still won't wrap around the complexity and depth of the perversity of this family. I'm sure she was told that no one would believe her if she said what was happening to her and others on a regular basis.
My prayer is that we can one day know what happened to Brittney Wood.

This related/not related history of Brittney's case and the child sex abusers combined with the overlapping jurisdictions between Mobile and Baldwin counties, and throw in the Child Advocacy Center ( http://www.cacmobile.org/ ) I wouldn't think there's any doubt, they have all the victims in mind but only natural to focus on protecting those still alive. But this person may have the missing person priority.
From Brittney's NamUs listing:
Title Sergeant
First name Scott
Last name Congleton
Phone (251) 208-7211
Website
Case number 120600259
Date reported
Jurisdiction Local
Agency Mobile Police Department
Address 1 2460 Government Street
Address 2
City Mobile
State Alabama
Zip code 36606
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/17200

This is a good read from about a year ago on this same topic.
Prosecuting child sex abuse: inside the Brittney Wood family saga
http://blog.al.com/live/2013/10/prosecuting_child_sex_abuse_in.html#incart_river_default
Here's a classic:

Thanks KateB!

I was curious if there had been any MSM comments from Sgt. Scott Congleton regarding Brittney's disappearance. I found these two statements in the link you provided. Admittedly I am confused. These are statements the Sgt. gave during his testimony at a prelim hearing.

Sgt.. Scott Congleton of the Mobile Police Department, testified at a preliminary hearing in Mobile County District Court that the sexual abuse occurred in 2008 when the girl was 13 years old. Congelton testified that the victim, now 17, did not come forward until the death of her father this summer and a subsequent high-profile search for Wood.

Q. The investigation started before Donnie died, is the Sgt. only talking about Dustin?

During cross-examination, Congleton testified that the victim confided in the sister of the defendant&#8217;s wife* but no one else. Beck asked about other accusations that the girl made against other family members, but Hardesty ruled that such questions were improper under Alabama&#8217;s rape shield law.

Q. Defendant is Dustin, wife Mendy. Which sister did the victim confide in, Chessie, Wendy, or others?

http://blog.al.com/live/2012/10/testimony_mobile_man_raped_dau.html

Snipped to address this part while thinking of all the other parts.
I found where that information came from. This post from Steph.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Mobile-31-May-2012-13&p=10591021#post10591021
I wonder who showed LE the FB exchange and/or how it was obtained,too. But this does not change the rest of your theory at all. Either way, the outcome would have been the same, IMO. Because I still believe LE knew about the information directly from the victim before the 27th, just don't think they knew she also shared it with Brittney, when they visited Wendy on May 30. IDK. But there's the link we both were looking for.

Thank you for finding the info :)

I tend to agree with you LE knew about Brittney through the child victim before the 27th. Possibly even through Scott or he knew the victim had talked to LE about Brittney. As well, LE most likely knew what happened to Brittney when she was younger. Several reasons why LE would want to talk to Brittney.

The victim likely reached out to Britt because she wanted someone who could confirm her accusations, back her up. The Det. said the FB messages seemed like the two were reaching out to each other sharing heart breaking details. Were they both sharing details? Another thought, do you think Britt could have told the child victim about the letter she had in safe keeping? If so, this could be how the others knew about the letter. Especially if as I suggested in another post really happened. Chessie, Wendy or someone close to the victim read the FB messages between Britt and the victim.

I personally don't know what to believe regarding when LE knew about the Facebook messages. I do not doubt what Steph told us. I'm just not convinced LE didn't know about the messages until after Britt disappeared. I think it is even possible LE or someone very close suggested the child victim reach out to Britt. Depending on what was said via Facebook, this could have been used as evidence to support the young victims allegations. I apologize to word it this way, but could someone have been baiting Brittney?

I remember the backlash from that al.com post. Note the * on wife. They originally misprinted it and left out that word and said the sister of the defendant, who demanded a correction or something like that.

During all that drama, it never was definitely determined which sister but Wendy was leading the opinion polls. I still insert Mendy to test the either twin works theory, but she is the wife in this case. Chessie works, as well. It would really help to know for sure.

Great finds on Sgt. Congleton quotes. 7 days to sentencing. I wonder if there is any deals ticking down on the table before Jan 15th.

Thank you for finding the info :)

I tend to agree with you LE knew about Brittney through the child victim before the 27th. Possibly even through Scott or he knew the victim had talked to LE about Brittney. As well, LE most likely knew what happened to Brittney when she was younger. Several reasons why LE would want to talk to Brittney.

The victim likely reached out to Britt because she wanted someone who could confirm her accusations, back her up. The Det. said the FB messages seemed like the two were reaching out to each other sharing heart breaking details. Were they both sharing details? Another thought, do you think Britt could have told the child victim about the letter she had in safe keeping? If so, this could be how the others knew about the letter. Especially if as I suggested in another post really happened. Chessie, Wendy or someone close to the victim read the FB messages between Britt and the victim.

I personally don't know what to believe regarding when LE knew about the Facebook messages. I do not doubt what Steph told us. I'm just not convinced LE didn't know about the messages until after Britt disappeared. I think it is even possible LE or someone very close suggested the child victim reach out to Britt. Depending on what was said via Facebook, this could have been used as evidence to support the young victims allegations. I apologize to word it this way, but could someone have been baiting Brittney?

I don't think so. But it's hard to explain why. I don't think the FB exchange is with who most think it is with. For starters. I think it is not with the victim who Wendy would have had very easy access to all electronic devices. But since that can't be discussed without violating their privacy, I propose this theory. The victim reached out to Brittney very probably for the reasons you state before she contacted LE, since it was published that she came forward after Donald's death. But the breach of the private messaging system could have happened on Brittney's end, from Brittney's phone. I do hope more will make sense when the Mobile County cases come up,

ETA: Or were they discovered routinely through FB supoena by LE investigating missing Brittney? That's what I think I've thought. Andrew didn't get them for a year or better to share with us.

Ok. The statements made by the Sgt are making more sense to me now. It is easy to get confused because Dustin is facing charges in two counties and there are multiple victims. The statements the Sgt. made were from Dustin's prelim hearing in Mobile not Baldwin. The comment about the defendants wife sister makes more sense now too.

IDK. Detective Eric is Baldwin County. All I can think about is Chessie's classic? Mobile? I thought everything was in Baldwin County! (Its in the vid posted below.)

Chessie has changed her narrative as more and more evidence has been gathered. So bear in mind, the timeline of what we know now and trying to figure out who would have known it back then is doubly difficult. I separate the information in the FB exchange from the exchange itself. Then I can go along with LE knew about the accusations, but still support the LE didn't know yet that it was also being said in private on Facebook. But if the victim was speaking to LE before Donald's death (which is possible with multiple victims) then I'm a yoyo.

Brittney is the golden nugget.

This is the full version of Chessie's perp walk vid. http://www.onenewspage.us/video/20130628/1309181/Brittney-Wood-Mother-Interview-RAW.htm
Where Chessie even supports Brittney was the golden nugget.

I pulled this from a post of yours Lash about a year ago. Worth a rewatch with another year's hindsight.

I'm only referring to Sgt. Congleton's statements made during Dustin's prelim hearing in Mobile County. It helped to understand we have two separate counties. His statement about coming forward after Donnie's death didn't make sense considering we know LE knew about the abuse before Donnie died. A victim went to LE with Scott in Feb. 2012. Therefore, in my opinion, the victim Sgt. Congleton is referring is a different victim. I was concerned we were getting conflicting info from LE, but not so considering we have multiple counties and victims.

The video was good hindsight. The Mobile sweep in Oct. 2013 is also very enlightening. So much came forward after that sweep. The search warrant, the letters, new perps, etc...

Sgt. Scott Congleton - Mobile County
Det. Jeff Corley - Mobile County
Det. Eric Winberg - Baldwin County

Oct. 22, 2013: Mobile police, Saraland police and Mobile County deputies attempt to locate and arrest seven Wood-related suspects after a girl tells authorities she was sexually abused. New charges come down for Scott Wood, Wendy Holland, Brownlee and Kent. Authorities also charge 32-year-old James Cumbaa, who married in to the Wood family, 47-year-old Nelton "Butch" Morgan, a Wood family friend, and Wendy Holland's 33-year-old sister, Mendy Kent, on sodomy, sex abuse and other charges in relation to the ongoing investigation.

Dustin "Dusty" Kent, 36, Brittney Wood's uncle&#8232;
June 19, 2012, Baldwin County:Charges of first-degree sodomy and second-degree rape&#8232;
July 16, 2012, Baldwin County:New charges of second-degree rape, incest and second-degree sodomy&#8232;

Aug. 2, 2012, Mobile County: Charges of first-degree rape and first-degree sodomy
&#8232;Oct. 22, 2013, Mobile County: New charges of first-degree rape, first-degree sodomy, production of obscene matter of a person under 17 and sex abuse of a child less than 12&#8232;. The charges involve victims who are between 12 and 16 years old.

Randall "Scott" Wood, 42, Brittney Wood's uncle&#8232;
June 19, 2012, Baldwin County:Charges of second-degree sex abuse, second-degree sodomy and incest&#8232;

Oct. 22, 2013, Mobile County: Charges of second-degree rape, second-degree sodomy and enticing a child into a building or dwelling

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/05/timeline_the_search_for_brittn.html

Among Corley's notable 2013 cases, Patrick pointed to the October arrest of multiple family members accused of abusing two child victims. Records from Mobile County Metro Jail show Corley arrested Dustin "Dusty" Kent, Wendy Wood Holland and Mendy Wood Kent on Oct. 22.

All three are related to Brittney Wood, who has been missing since May 2012.

Spokesman Officer Terence Perkins confirmed Corley had been a part of the Wood family investigation.

http://blog.al.com/live/2014/05/detective_behind_at_least_3_br.html

November 2013, Mobile County executed a search warrant at Wendy's house.

The search warrant reads, &#8220;Donald Holland showed them videos on his computer of (the victim) and Brittney Wood, at various ages all under 13, engaging in sexual activity with different adults.&#8221;

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-ONLY-**NO-DISCUSSION**&p=9988457#post9988457

November 2013, after the search warrant executed at Wendy's the letters appear -

A letter apparently written to Donald&#8217;s wife, the sender writes &#8220;Brittney wrote a letter with a lot of evidence on it pertaining to Jennifer, her, you, Mendy, and (child victim). She said if anything happened to her to give it to the police.&#8221;

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

Thursday is sentencing day in Baldwin County for 4 defendants IF the retweet by FOX10 is accurate. I was wondering where everyone would be coming from so I went to Baldwin Co Jail records. http://bcsonline.co.baldwin.al.us/smartweb/jail.aspx
Changed view to Current and Released to find Holland, Wendy - Released,
Brownlee, William - Released
Kent, Dustin - Released
They're all over here in Mobile County Jail : http://www.mobileso.com/whos-in-jail/
Dustin, Brownlee, Wendy and Scott, who has been out on bail would be the 4 in Baldwin for sentencing Jan 15th. Sure would like a judge's case schedule for Thursday to confirm.

In earlier thread, someone pointed out that defendants in related cases would NOT be transported in the same vehicle. I wonder if a multiple vehicle caravan to transport prisoners across the bay is routine or unusual.

Just checking in on Team Brittney and waiting for justice for Britt.

Thursday is sentencing day in Baldwin County for 4 defendants IF the retweet by FOX10 is accurate. I was wondering where everyone would be coming from so I went to Baldwin Co Jail records. http://bcsonline.co.baldwin.al.us/smartweb/jail.aspx
Changed view to Current and Released to find Holland, Wendy - Released,
Brownlee, William - Released
Kent, Dustin - Released
They're all over here in Mobile County Jail : http://www.mobileso.com/whos-in-jail/
Dustin, Brownlee, Wendy and Scott, who has been out on bail would be the 4 in Baldwin for sentencing Jan 15th.

Sure would like a judge's case schedule for Thursday to confirm.

In earlier thread, someone pointed out that defendants in related cases would NOT be transported in the same vehicle. I wonder if a multiple vehicle caravan to transport prisoners across the bay is routine or unusual.

Look around and you will see many familiar names
https://pa.alacourt.com/frmDocketListSearch.aspx?Loc=5

Gunther, do you know what area to look in Pacer for the court documents? I have searched with no luck. You can PM if you would prefer.

Gunther, do you know what area to look in Pacer for the court documents? I have searched with no luck. You can PM if you would prefer.

I am not a member of Pacer.
I think you can sign up to access the records.
You can access the case records on the above link as well, if I am reading it correctly.
In either case it will probably cost a little money.

I am not a member of Pacer.
I think you can sign up to access the records.
You can access the case records on the above link as well, if I am reading it correctly.
In either case it will probably cost a little money.

Thanks for your help. I have access to Pacer. I've searched all party names and came up with nada. Most likely because the cases are not at the Federal level. Searches do cost, hence the reason I asked :)

Is tomorrow the day Wendy gets SENTENCED? :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members