Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 1/9-1/12 Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I think it was wrong for JSS to allow special "no cameras" and special "pseudo name" for this witness is now I think Nurmi will request that for other witnesses he has or may even get new witnesses to come on if they will get same special treatment.

It just opens the door for other witnesses to ask this same privilege. I am pretty sure that others yet to testify , will want to have that privelege if it is being handed out like candy.

Indeed. I imagine Monday morning, if there is a new witness there will be a motion to that effect, there will be a hearing set, and the jury will be sent home.

Beth reports they spoke to the clerk right after court and requested the transcript. The clerk said you get it from the court reporter.

The male court reported was asked and he said, "that'll have to be transcribed, should take about a week" despite the Judge saying they should be ready for release.

Beth contacted the media attorney, who thought this is ridiculous. He told Beth not to expect anything before 9am Friday. Beth does not expect transcripts before sometime next week.

:stormingmad: WTH ? JSS said the Transcript had been transcribed !

:waitasec: It looks likes someone is lying !

:moo:

I think the killer is medicated everyday. They probably gave her a shot of 'super calm down' medicine. She may have gotten her hand slapped by Jenny for showing emotion.

I'm sure there is, which is why these transcripts are full of Spell Check type errors. I'm afraid JSS is hoodwinking us about the delay, as she did the jury when she told them Geffner was 'not available'.

I agree She's purposely delaying the transcript release. But I can't figure out WHY?
Is there anyone else Nurmi can appeal to? Or is it a done deal?

Hi Nosey, I think your guess is as good as anyone's with JA the driver of this train wreck of a trial. You would think that what JA was testifying to would be the relevant/deciding factor in the Judges decision to close the courtroom but with this upside-down trial you never know. Perhaps it is that JSS bought into the "mental instability" and JA's right to present mitigation aspect of the DT's argument--i.e., that it wasn't what was being said but the environment/conditions that it is being said--essentially that JA's brain "scrambles" under pressure so she removed the "pressure" of the public scrutiny.

FWIW--I wonder if anyone else thought it interesting that JA was reported to be visibly agitated and upset (presumably upon hearing the AZSC denied her stay) left the courtroom with baliff only to return a while later calm and "drawing". Does anyone else think when she left was medicated to avoid what happened after the verdict?

The COA did say it had to do with the judge being concerned about Jodi not testifying when she hadn't waived that right, even though the judge thought she was being manipulative. IMO, it had nothing to do with the content of the testimony or Jodi's brain scramble or even threats. It had to do with not creating a future appeal issue.

And, yeah, that's just Jodi. She freaks out, has a violent tantrum, then pulls a 180, dare I say, a Jekyll and Hyde, and starts acting like an innocent little soft spoken girl again. The drawing is how she detaches herself so she doesn't flip and so she can pretend she doesn't care, NBD.

IMO.

You mean, did she lie in court about transcriptions, and lie in court about releasing the transcripts immediately? Is she getting her minions to stonewall?

Wow. We don't know what she does or doesn't know. We don't even know what she said, we only have Twitter and bad reporters telling us what she's said.

I'm sure there is, which is why these transcripts are full of Spell Check type errors. I'm afraid JSS is hoodwinking us about the delay, as she did the jury when she told them Geffner was 'not available'.

Could you imagine if she gave the jury the actual reason for Geffner not being there yesterday? "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, Geffner will be unable to continue to testify today. Over the past several months the defense has been trying to provide false allegations of child *advertiser censored* viewing by the victim. The prosecution has fought valiantly to keep these falsehoods from you. However, because I am petrified of a mistrial, I am allowing the defense to call this so-called expert, testifying under an assumed name, to attempt to persuade you that the victim indeed was a voracious viewer of child *advertiser censored*. Therefore Dr. Geffner will resume the stand to continue his testimony once we lay this improper foundation. Thank you."

I think the killer is medicated everyday. They probably gave her a shot of 'super calm down' medicine. She may have gotten her hand slapped by Jenny for showing emotion.

From what I understand she was able to keep it in check until the jury left the room. Unless that's when her DT waited to tell her. Or did MDLR tell her while they were in sidebar about the "what is your real name" question. Lol

I agree it's standard Arias, but there was sufficient reason, rightly or wrongly, for JSS to allow the secrecy. There has to be something at least semi-dramatic about her testimony, although obviously not enough to impress the higher courts. I'm anxious to read it, not so much to learn of Arias' latest lies, but to determine whatever could have possessed JSS to make such a ruling.

What spooked JSS was that JA refused to testify in open court AND refused to voluntarily waive her right to testify. JSS believed (and still does, as far as I can tell) that JA 's right to testify, whatever she actually says, is essential to a full mitigation case.

I'm sure there is, which is why these transcripts are full of Spell Check type errors.

I'm afraid JSS is hoodwinking us about the delay, as she did the jury when she told them Geffner was 'not available'.

:seeya:

BBM: Yep ... giving additional time for CMJA and the DT to DELAY so that they can figure out what conniving scheme they can concoct next !

Outrageous . . . absolutely outrageous !

Wow. We don't know what she does or doesn't know. We don't even know what she said, we only have Twitter and bad reporters telling us what she's said.
So if several people report that she said the same thing, they're all wrong? I didn't say she lied; I'm asking if she lied. I hope she didn't.

I absolutely believe that she is medicated everyday--the result of her "meltdown" on verdict day. And if they are in fact giving her supplemental medication PRN to "calm down", then JSS's decision to ignore the Constitution for JA is even more egregious. I cannot imagine the Judge allowing all this for a convicted murderer who has PRN medication to treat episodes of panic or "nerves".

:seeya:

BBM: Yep ... giving additional time for CMJA and the DT to DELAY so that they can figure out what conniving scheme they can concoct next !

Outrageous . . . absolutely outrageous !

Would anyone like to bet that in the meantime she strikes the unfinished 'secret' testimony on the grounds that Arias refuses to continue and/or the CA ruled it unconstitutional - thus, negating the release of the transcript, and preventing Juan from crossing?

So if several people report that she said the same thing, they're all wrong? I didn't say she lied; I'm asking if she lied. I hope she didn't.

I think if anything happened it's that the CR didn't prepare the transcript like he was supposed to. I think that's more likely than it is that the judge lied. Maybe it was a communication failure. It still doesn't explain why it will take a week to transcribe, though. It shouldn't take that long.

IMO.

:stormingmad: WTH ? JSS said the Transcript had been transcribed !

:waitasec: It looks likes someone is lying !

:moo:

I agree. Maybe the media attorney Beth spoke to after she learned this can speed things up but who knows at this point?

What spooked JSS was that JA refused to testify in open court AND refused to voluntarily waive her right to testify. JSS believed (and still does, as far as I can tell) that JA 's right to testify, whatever she actually says, is essential to a full mitigation case.

Spooked? I vote for railroaded.

I thought the issue was that if she did not get to testify in secret she would not testify but she would also not be agreeing to give up her right to testify. So that could be an appeal issue. Not so much about what she was going to say, but that she wouldn't say it unless it was in secret. And perhaps she has not really said all that she wants to yet and won't if she has to say it in open court to keep that appeal route open.

So she knows now either she says it in open court or drops the whole testimony. Maybe she's mad that she wasn't able to tell her "full story" yet?

MOO

Problem for her, though, is that the COA has already weighed in and said , essentially, her refusal to testify in open court is NOT grounds for appeal.

She has a right to testify, but she doesn't have a right to dictate the terms under which she'll testify. Period. If she decides not to, legally, she IS voluntarily waiving her right.

I predict that Nurmi will motion to have JA's testimony stricken from the record since she will not continue to testify and that we will NEVER see the transcripts. That is why the judge delayed. Nurmi told the judge what he is going to do so she is going to give him the time to do it!
The jurors will them be told to "unring the bell on all of JA's prior testimony".

Would anyone like to bet that in the meantime she strikes the unfinished 'secret' testimony on the grounds that Arias refuses to continue and/or the CA ruled it unconstitutional - thus, negating the release of the transcript, and preventing Juan from crossing?

I too believe JA will refuse to continue to testify and that the judge will strike her testimony. But I'm hopeful that what she said so far will still be released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288