PA - Most Of One-Month-Old Babys Face Chewed Off By Trio Of Ferrets

popsicle

faith hope love
Reaction score
Dad says: “It’s not our fault. We didn’t do it, the animals did it,” says the victim’s father Burnie Fraim. and, “This little mistake happened. I wish it never did happen but it happened.” and also, “The baby looked like, um, like it didn’t have a face.”

Mom left the baby strapped in the carseat and sitting on the floor while she went upstairs. They have 5 other children with special needs and were involved with Children and Youth Division prior to this, per article.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...ferret-in-darby-borough/#.VMLMELYFxWA.twitter

Dad says: “It’s not our fault. We didn’t do it, the animals did it,” says the victim’s father Burnie Fraim. and, “This little mistake happened. I wish it never did happen but it happened.” and also, “The baby looked like, um, like it didn’t have a face.”

Mom left the baby strapped in the carseat and sitting on the floor while she went upstairs. They have 5 other children with special needs and were involved with Children and Youth Division prior to this, per article.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...ferret-in-darby-borough/#.VMLMELYFxWA.twitter

Are these people nuts??? "Little mistake"? 5 other children with special needs? CPS already involved with family?? WE didn't do it the animals did??? UGH! talk about not taking responsibility for your kids.

Are these people nuts??? "Little mistake"? 5 other children with special needs? CPS already involved with family?? WE didn't do it the animals did??? UGH! talk about not taking responsibility for your kids.

Sadly, and most of you will disagree with me on this, without more information, I cannot rush to judgment here. How many parents have left kids in hot cars and then we feel pity for them because their child died? How many parents have stepped out for just a minute while a baby was in the bath and the child drowned and then we claim it was just a "terrible accident". How is this different? The mother stepped out of the room not knowing this would occur. Even in other instances of children being mauled by animals, I have seen people defending the parents. So yeah, I will wait to decide the guilt of the parents here. Because this really might have been just a case of poor supervision.

ETA: Before everyone jumps on me to say "CPS was already involved." That's true, but we don't know WHY. They may have been involved simply to help with the special needs children. CPS does provide coaching and parenting sessions in the home in some cases, at least to my knowledge. We can't assume these parents were doing anything wrong. After all, the children WERE still in the home.

Sadly, and most of you will disagree with me on this, without more information, I cannot rush to judgment here. How many parents have left kids in hot cars and then we feel pity for them because their child died? How many parents have stepped out for just a minute while a baby was in the bath and the child drowned and then we claim it was just a "terrible accident". How is this different? The mother stepped out of the room not knowing this would occur. Even in other instances of children being mauled by animals, I have seen people defending the parents. So yeah, I will wait to decide the guilt of the parents here. Because this really might have been just a case of poor supervision.

According to the article I read, the house was full of mitea and fleas, cats, dogs and fecal matter. There was no food for the kids, but plenty for the animals.

According to the article I read, the house was full of mitea and fleas, cats, dogs and fecal matter. There was no food for the kids, but plenty for the animals.

Well then, I stand corrected and full judgment can be passed. The article I read didn't have all that information.

Why is it always these people with too many kids that are already involved with CPS? We would not put puppies and kittens in these places.

"This little mistake???????????????????". Yes the parents are responsible, period. They owned the dang ferrets didn't they?

I've posted many, many times before on WS and still mean what I post. Some people do not need to be able to procreate. Five other children with special needs in the home and many animals running around. These two need to be clipped and snipped.

The family was living in deplorable conditions and that the home, in the 300 block of Poplar Road, is infested with fleas or mites, according to police. There were several other animals in the house including six cats, two dogs and two turtles.

The only food in the home was a jar of peanut butter, can of cranberry and some juice, Smythe said. There was food for the pets, however.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/n...601801.html?_osource=outbrain_recirc=obinsite

It appears there are 5 children including this baby, 1mo - 5yrs and they all have some type of special need. The article says the parents have developmental disabilities.

I hate ferrets.

These parents also sound like they should not have been allowed to breed, too.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

The few times I have known someone who owned ferrets, they were kept in a cage. If CPS was seeing them, did they not notice the condition of the home? Or did it just suddenly get that way in one week between visits?

I can't even describe how angry this makes me. I'm wondering if the parents were on drugs or just idiots. It breaks my heart to imagine how all those young children were living.

I find it concerning that the father refers to his daughter as 'it'.
“The baby looked like, um, like it didn’t have a face.”

BBM

I do wonder how it can be acceptable to have two parents with developmental issues apparently not using any form of contraception (if the fact that they have five children under five is anything to go by). It would seem they can just indulge in unprotected sex and reproduce without anyone considering the safety of the children they are producing. How can that be right or fair on their offspring - and what kind of future do the children have ahead of them if they also all have developmental issues?

I have heard two versions now - mom went upstairs to where the dad was 'asleep' or she went up to use the rest room. At least one policeman was questioning the time it took her to respond to the baby's cries and the amount of damage which had been done by the time she came back down. I do wonder whether she and her husband were 'otherwise engaged' which might explain the delay in responding.

Also, if dad just thinks this was a "little mistake" one has to question his suitability to be in charge of any child, let alone five children under 5 years of age.

What a shame for everyone involved.

And that's why people with mental retardation should not be allowed to breed.

Sterilization, obviously. I think it should be mandatory for people whose IQ scores show a clinical problem.

'A Philadelphia-area couple whose pet ferrets attacked their newborn daughter and chewed off parts of her face have been charged with child endangerment.

Burnie Fraim, 42, and Jessica Benales, 24, of Darby each face five counts of endangering the welfare of children, court documents show. The infant is one of five children that lived in the home,*reports CBS Philly.'...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pennsylvania-parents-charged-after-pet-ferrets-chew-infants-face/

The idea of forcibly sterilizing Americans deemed inferior by testing doesn't sit well with me at all, JMO.

This is a terrible story and our hearts hurt for this poor little baby. But IMO we mustn't let our emotional reactions lead us into the murky waters of eugenics. American women throughout history have fought long and hard for our rights and it wouldn't be wise to condone taking those rights away from some, as long as it's not you or me. "First they came for the..."

Society could certainly benefit from more/better education in sex, reproductive rights and responsibilities, parenting skills, etc. of the developmentally disabled. The option and easy access to affordable and voluntary sterilization (the most common forms of sterilization are not foolproof, however) would be helpful as well. The choice would ideally be made by the individual with guidance from their caregiver(s).

For every horrible case like this that we read about, there are other families with developmentally disabled parents who are doing fine. There are no easy answers, but eugenics is not, IMO, even worthy of consideration in the United States of America.

My prayers are with this precious little baby. I couldn't bear to read any links. Does anyone know if they put down the ferrets? I sure hope so! :moo:

The idea of forcibly sterilizing Americans deemed inferior by testing doesn't sit well with me at all, JMO.

This is a terrible story and our hearts hurt for this poor little baby. But IMO we mustn't let our emotional reactions lead us into the murky waters of eugenics. American women throughout history have fought long and hard for our rights and it wouldn't be wise to condone taking those rights away from some, as long as it's not you or me. "First they came for the..."

Society could certainly benefit from more/better education in sex, reproductive rights and responsibilities, parenting skills, etc. of the developmentally disabled. The option and easy access to affordable and voluntary sterilization (the most common forms of sterilization are not foolproof, however) would be helpful as well. The choice would ideally be made by the individual with guidance from their caregiver(s).

For every horrible case like this that we read about, there are other families with developmentally disabled parents who are doing fine. There are no easy answers, but eugenics is not, IMO, even worthy of consideration in the United States of America.

My prayers are with this precious little baby. I couldn't bear to read any links. Does anyone know if they put down the ferrets? I sure hope so! :moo:

This is a case involving serious child abuse and neglect. I have no problem with giving the defendants the choice of either prison or castration which is a choice already given to pedophiles in some states.

At least 15 repeat sex offenders in California alone have asked for surgical castration as a way of avoiding indefinite incarceration, according to the Los Angeles Times. Over the last three years, two offenders — including a pedophile freed three months ago — have walked free from state mental hospitals after undergoing the surgery.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93947

This is a case involving serious child abuse and neglect. I have no problem with giving the defendants the choice of either prison or castration which is a choice already given to pedophiles in some states.

At least 15 repeat sex offenders in California alone have asked for surgical castration as a way of avoiding indefinite incarceration, according to the Los Angeles Times. Over the last three years, two offenders — including a pedophile freed three months ago — have walked free from state mental hospitals after undergoing the surgery.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93947

Convicted criminals are a different story. I was responding to the idea that "low IQ" (as judged by a test) Americans be forcibly sterilized to prevent their having children and thereby theoretically prevent cases like the one this thread is about.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back