Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it does make it something that can not be proven. We don't prosecute people if there is no evidence. Nor should we tear them apart without evidence.
I don't like when people talk about people that have not been even charged with anything. It bothers me.

Innocent until proven guilty means that you can't be convicted without proof.

It doesn't mean that people can't talk about you or have the opinion that you probably did it.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story...ainment-industry-enabled-bill-cosby/22619615/

"I commend those responsible for canceling Cosby’s new projects after more than a dozen women came forward. A Cosby crony, former NBC employee Frank Scotti, told the Daily News he paid off women for the comedian in the 1980s. Besides Scotti, there are plenty of others who knew this was going on and did nothing. Those who at best looked the other way and at worst supplied the family friendly fraud with young girls.

"As a television viewing public, once we get past not believing three-dozen women and finally admit Cosby is a serial rapist, the next phase is even more uncomfortable. It’s realizing there’s an industry we love and admire that fostered, promoted and profited off a Cosby. Who was going to stop the gravy train just because a couple of models got hurt? Apparently no one."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I was merely making the point that eyewitness testimony is one form of evidence in many different cases, but particularly in rape cases. Simply announcing that you won't consider it disqualifies one from jury service.

Of course you are right that BC is not legally guilty and has not even been charged. That does NOT mean I can't form a private opinion as to whether he committed the acts of which he is accused. The sheer volume of accusations--especially against a beloved public figure--is telling, IMO.

True, just because O.J., Casey Anthony, and Michael Jackson weren't convicted, doesn't make them any less guilty of their crimes.

You cite one example. One example is not "many, many."

Show me some independent evidence of "many, many," please, not just one example. The key word is many. Does it happen? I'm sure it does. Does it happen to many, many men? I'm skeptical.

Actually, the NFL tends to look the other way and ignore criminal charges and violence in their players' personal lives. Ray Rice punching his wife unconscious in an elevator video was just one example. Then there's the one who beat his son's legs with a switch,and Aaron Hernandez- murderer on the Patriots, need I say more???

http://jezebel.com/reading-bill-cosby-the-wit-and-wisdom-of-an-accused-se-1679809081
Reading Bill Cosby: The Wit And Wisdom Of An Accused Serial Rapist
As a newcomer, I was initially afraid to dip my toes into such a crowded pool of conversation. I was two when The Cosby Show ended. I watched reruns occasionally and tuned into Kids Say the Darndest Things every now and again, but the Cos did not play a particularly vivid role in my personal development. Unlike others who have recently revisited his work—and no, Washington Post, the books are not "still funny"—I'd mostly familiarized myself with Cosby post-scandal. These books were my real introduction to the man: my first significant, extensive, one-on-one with Cosby himself, and his life as he would like us to perceive it.

But, after boning up on 20th century Bill Cosby, the one who stood awash in the glow of tenured adoration, I can't conjure up a convincing image of the comedic "genius" being collectively mourned. All I see is a blowhard, and one who can't really write.
Cosby is also a proud believer in the concept that men are from Mars and women are from some minor moon circling Mars:

"I now know the answer is that no man ever grows up in the eyes of a woman—or ever grows familiar with the rules for dealing with her."

According to Cosby, there's just no way, realistically, for a male to express himself to a female, "for men and women belong to different species and communication between them is a science still in its infancy."

This brings us to the union of Bill and Camille.

"I am certain that I have one of America's better marriages," Cosby declares. Later: "Because Camille and I have wisely left each other in the dark so often, our marriage has been rich in surprise." That, and that alone, is undoubtedly true.

Later, he writes this, the most baldfaced print reference to his personal qualms with consent that I encountered in my reading:

"In one way, however, dating will now be easier because you're free from the campus sex police, who were ready to charge you with sexual harassment if you put your hand on any woman besides one who had asked you for help in crossing the street. At some schools, there are even manuals for sexual exploration that tell the men the permissions they need before they can start the rake's process."

The "campus sex police"? In 1999? Wouldn't that be nice!

This quote paints a picture of a man who lives by the gospel of sexual entitlement, who balks at "permissions," who believes so deeply in his right to lay hands that he would like to extend that imagined freedom to all young men. "In the real world, boys," he insinuates, "you can make a woman do just about whatever the **** you please, if you're smart about it."

In 2000, one year after the publication of Congratulations! Now What?, Lachelle Covington filed a police report against Cosby, citing unwanted sexual advances.

Have I?? Where would that be? Because if you go and look I am the first person to stand up and say innocent until proven guilty. In all cases.
Even when it is not popular.

ScarlettScarpetta said:
I have to wonder if in this case that prosecutor should have waited to bring charges or drop them and charge them with something smaller for now until they get more evidence. I would hate to see these guys set free for ever.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...oorers-Bond-Hearing-2&p=11448374#post11448374

ScarlettScarpetta said:
I.Can't.EVEN.

Monster. Monster.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...arita-23-January-2015&p=11436008#post11436008

ScarlettScarpetta said:
I have not followed this case closely because to be honest, a whole family murdered is just more than I can bear but I was so glad to hear today that they have him. What a monster. I saw the interview where he said he was definitely the last person to see them. I got chills.
Rest in peace McStays.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?248597-Chase-Merritt-3&p=11178046#post11178046

ScarlettScarpetta said:
I'm glad they found her. I'm so sad she is gone but I am glad they found her for her parents and to help them prosecute this animal.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...nsic-Confirmation**-5&p=11128713#post11128713

A couple of thoughts...

Accusations (that we know of) against BC date back to 1965.
http://www.etonline.com/news/154160_timeline_of_bill_cosby_sexual_assault_allegations/

Let's look at the mind set back then. Women had only been assured of keeping a job if she were pregnant in '78. Borrowing money '74 (Equal Credit Opportunity Act). Marital rape was not outlawed in all 50 states till 1993. Sexual harassment wasn't defined by the EEOC until 1980. And many women faced push back when she tried to exercise those rights. At home and at work. Myself included. Quite simply, women were accustomed to asking (men) for permission. Generally speaking.

Rape hot lines didn't exist till the 70's and were only available in bigger cities. The same with women's shelters. Survivor blaming was the norm. Maybe it was rape if the women was beaten and showed signs of fighting back, even after they were were told not to. Women were routinely denied welfare benefits after leaving an abusive partner because of his income. DNA testing didn't exist. Nor did testing victims for drugs.
Police were not educated in how to handle complaints of rape or sexual assault and were often brutal in questioning.
The term date rape didn't come about till 1980.

The statutes of limitations were different then. Strides have been made.
Current statutes: http://victimsofcrime.org/docs/DNA ...sault-check-chart---final---copy.pdf?sfvrsn=2
It also matters if is was a rape or sexual assault.

By their nature rape and sexual assault are generally crimes without witnesses. It is only the kids today with cell phones that are idiotic enough to record their crimes.
Today, if a woman is raped, taken seriously, goes through rape kit testing, by specially trained personnel, there is a good chance that her kit will languish unprocessed (est. 400,000). Out of 100 rapes, 32 will get reported to police, 7 will lead to an arrest, 3 are refereed to prosecutors, and 2 will be convicted and serve time.

So you meet a rich and powerful man. He offers to mentor you and your career. He is an American hero. You agree to meet. He offers you a beverage. Or something for you headache. Very bad things happen. What is your first reaction? Do you even remember what happened beyond that sickening feeling in your gut? If you do remember? Get safe, denial, shame? Do you repress it? What would you do? In 1965?

We cannot judge the past by today's mindset and legal options. Most of those options didn't exist when BC started raping.

I am not surprised that the women who couldn't would stand up for themselves are standing up for the women now coming forward.

Rape takes away your feeling of worthiness. They may not have felt worthy enough to stand up for themselves, but see the worthiness in others.

Support for Cosby Misguided and Baffling

"The point is, one does not simply accuse Bill Cosby of something as heinous as premeditated rape without knowing that there will be some manner of backlash for it. Indeed, local comedian Tony “T-Robe” Roberson told the Pittsburgh City Paper Jan. 21 that Cosby’s talent is something that people “need to receive” and though the allegations might be true, “my heart won’t let me believe that.”

"In case you missed it, Roberson just said that Cosby’s talent excuses anything he may have done – you’re obligated to “receive” him anyway, just because he’s good at what he does. You’re not supposed to think about it, or consider what it means to you if the allegations are true. Whatever he may have done is irrelevant. You need to have respect for the man, regardless."

"Roberson’s statement makes your skin crawl, as does the following reader comment on the City Paper’s website, “Mr. Cosby… has done 40 years of good work past the point of what was said to have happened. Mr. Cosby has redeemed himself many, many times over."

“Past the point of what was said to have happened.” Here is a human being literally telling us, “You know what? He’s a good guy, really! Let him have a rape here and there over the course of a few decades, it’s all good! He’s spending the rest of his time making up for it! Let him have some kind of payment for his good works!” After biting back the vomit that came up when I read this (and the rest of the comments), I couldn’t help but wonder – would the person who wrote it trust Cosby alone with their daughter? I honestly don’t remember the last time I felt as genuinely creeped out and uneasy about setting foot out my door and among these people as I did while reading those comments. It’s absolutely true – celebrities can get away with anything, and do it with the people’s blind-eyed blessings to boot."

http://www.pointparkglobe.com/news/view.php/859454/Support-for-Cosby-misguided-and-baffling

Here's the original story
"He's worked his *advertiser censored* off," says Pittsburgh comic Tony "T-Robe" Roberson, arguing Cosby should be allowed to perform. "He does it in a positive manner — that's hard, that's true talent and I think people need to receive that. He has a right to go onstage and make money."

He says it's possible the allegations are true, but "my heart won't let me believe that."

http://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...l-go-on/Content?oid=1801984&showFullText=true

Please don't tell me what I believe.

What if you were being accused of something you did not do in the media without proof? What if people were assuming you were guilty when you weren't?
Innocent until proven guilty is not a gimmick. It matters. It matters more than anything else in the justice system. Putting bad guys away is the best, but putting innocent people away, Or accusing people are ruining their lives without proof is the worst.

What if the victim was accused of being wrong?
Doesn't that ruin their life, their future?
It matters. It matters to the victim.

So let the chips fall.
Let him defend himself
I would like to hear his answer to each and every accuser.

Yes, Proof is good.
He should bring on his proof.
I'm all ears.
I want to know who is innocent.
And who is bad.

JMO

But it does make it something that can not be proven. We don't prosecute people if there is no evidence. Nor should we tear them apart without evidence.
I don't like when people talk about people that have not been even charged with anything. It bothers me.

BBM: Would you not warn others that offended you, just because they were not charged or prosecuted for it?

Lying about an untrue crime - wrong.
Reporting a true crime years later - a whole different matter.
Not every crime can be proven or charged. Doesn't mean it didn't happen or that it violate's someone's liberties to bring the offense to light. JMO.

Victims in the Cosby Case Should be Supported, Believed
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center

I would consider this group a credible authority on the subject of rape, IMO.

http://m.nsvrc.org/news/press-releases/victims-cosby-case-should-be-supported-believed

"The level of attention around high-profile cases makes it even more daunting to speak out, as victims fear the negative impact of media scrutiny and retaliation from the public or the accused.
In some cases, victims may report what happened right away. In other cases, victims will remain silent for weeks, months or even years before discussing the assault. A delay in the reporting of a sexual assault has no bearing on the veracity of the allegations. In fact, false reporting is extremely rare."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Somehow I missed reading this story when it was published back on December 3, 2014.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...escape-bill-cosby-apartment-article-1.2031639

The article, by journalist Meg Wagner, spells out an incident that happened in 1984. Tony Hogue, a male model with JF Images, says he rescued a booker with his company from what he believed was a very dangerous situation at BC's residence in Manhattan when they were in town from Denver for Fashion Week. I think Hogue makes clear the context--the power structure that surrounded BC, and certainly other influential men, at that time. The booker is one of the 12 Jane Does who came forward in support of the 2005 case.

Hogue says BC lived near the models' apartment and, after getting to know them. had offered to help "launch their careers"

"At one point, I asked Beth, 'You don't actually think this guy's going to make you famous? Why would he stick his neck out for you like that?'" he said.
He didn't remember her exact response, but said many of the girls thought the legend held the keys to their stardom.
"That's the power of Cosby, I guess" he said. "It's easy to get caught up. He's Bill frickin' Cosby."

One night he didn't join the others for a night out with BC and got a panic call from his friend.

Hogue marched to the apartment and banged on the door until Cosby answered. The entertainer said his friend was just a little drunk, Hogue recalled....
"It wasn't just drunk. She was not herself. She was a mess. She was messed up," he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998