Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/10 - Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM. Because she's very very good. She held her own. And years of experience sometimes mean you are out-of-date in your field. Just look at ALV's outdated beliefs for example. As for me personally, I'd rather go to a brand new grad out of medical school, current on the latest knowledge, than some old coot who started practicing in the days of Louis Pasteur. Juan knew to expect this.

I agree. Even when it comes to getting my hair done, I want someone young who is more on top of their game, not someone who has done the same thing over and over again, and I'm just more of the same to them.

I just watched the replay. It was a good trial.

Deguerin is a legend in Houston and Ramsey is top shelf. Chip Lewis was on the team too and he's no slouch.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/content/verdict

Durst ran after he posted bail in Galveston and was arrested in PA after he shoplifted a chicken salad sandwich from a grocery store. He had $500 in his pocket and $39,000 in the trunk of his car :thinking:

Such an interesting case. DeGuerin is legendary, not just in Texas, and Durst might be the weirdest guy ever. Fascinating.

Isn't Nurmi the lead attorney?

This is a blunt question. Why would the prosecution hire such a young psychologist who had only been licensed to practise four years earlier? Surely JM could have predicted that this would give the DT reason to discredit her. Why take that chance?

As good as Dr. DM is, her years of experience, in comparison to Dr. Geffner, has indeed allowed the DT to capitalize on this.

Unfortunately, imo, the jurors questions about her "stated" experience (before being licensed) and her discrediting Dr. Geffner's testing, wouldn't have been such an "issue" with an older expert with many years of practise.

Anyway, this is something that I was concerned about in the original trial, and although ALV and Samuels were totally discredited, this jury missed how pathetic the DT experts were, despite their years of experience.

My opinion is that sometimes the newer doctors, whether being physical or psych have more knowledge of the most recent research, techniques, therapies, practices than the older Drs, therapists, who might be stuck in a time warp and set in their ways.

I just re-read all the questions and her full answers for the 3rd time and hOnestly, they don't bother me at all anymore. Elle Elle posted them on the 1st page, and they are much easier to understand and make more sense than the half tweets we were getting when they were read live. I feel better now.

Not to mention Dr. D is very good at testifying. Some may be very good at their job but do not relate or present well in Court. I think she is an excellent choice.

I am not disturbed at all by the juror questions. Nor by DM's responses.

We are here for the pursuit of truth and justice, are we not? I believe DeMarte to be highly qualified in her field and very professional in her testimony. There may be a fact or two that I did not like hearing as it made JA sound more human but, really, I can live with that because it is truly refreshing to see a witness who does not mince words, does not follow a script, and does not say only what she thinks people want to hear. DeMarte says what she believes to be true, period. If her testimony made a juror or two think--really think--about their task at hand, so be it.

I would rather have the murderer sentenced to Life through proper means than sentenced to Death because a prosecution witness was dishonest or biased in their testimony. After all, wasn't such bias our biggest gripe about the defense witnesses?

Arias will never get out of prison alive. At the end of it all, that will be the only thing that matters.

Thank you so much. :goodpost:
You took the thoughts out of my muddled brain and expressed them so clearly. I feel much the same way. Dr D. told the TRUTH. Some of it might be mitigating, but it is the truth as she sees it with her expert opinion. So she said what she felt was necessary in order to be truthful. I applaud her for that. She did not turn herself into a pretzel to try and avoid conceding a point. I am sure the jury will find that refreshing.

This is a blunt question. Why would the prosecution hire such a young psychologist who had only been licensed to practise four years earlier? Surely JM could have predicted that this would give the DT reason to discredit her. Why take that chance?

As good as Dr. DM is, her years of experience, in comparison to Dr. Geffner, has indeed allowed the DT to capitalize on this.

Unfortunately, imo, the jurors questions about her "stated" experience (before being licensed) and her discrediting Dr. Geffner's testing, wouldn't have been such an "issue" with an older expert with many years of practise.

Anyway, this is something that I was concerned about in the original trial, and although ALV and Samuels were totally discredited, this jury missed how pathetic the DT experts were, despite their years of experience.

I think Juan purposely chose someone young and bright and 'current.' She was the perfect 'opposition' to the old, out dated experts the DT offered.

I think it was quite strategic on his part. Dr D was quick, energetic and confident. I don't think her fewer years of experience were a detriment in the end. I think her testimony was very strong and she came across as more assured and professional than the 'oldsters. ' JMO

JustBeatrice ‏@JustBeatrice1 18m18 minutes ago

They wanted to know if any juror has heard a/b Det. Flores and his loss. I was wondering when the jury wd b questioned a/b it. #JodiArias
-------------------

Not sure if this is true or not.

And that's relative how?

In Nurmi's latest motion he says that because of JA's mental illness she is unable to testify in open court. If she were decide to testify in the sir rebuttal, could Nurmi be sanctioned for lying in the motion?

JustBeatrice ‏@JustBeatrice1 18m18 minutes ago

They wanted to know if any juror has heard a/b Det. Flores and his loss. I was wondering when the jury wd b questioned a/b it. #JodiArias
-------------------

Not sure if this is true or not.

Where would they get this info?

In Nurmi's latest motion he says that because of JA's mental illness she is unable to testify in open court. If she were decide to testify in the sir rebuttal, could Nurmi be sanctioned for lying in the motion?

Does he explain why she was able to testify for 18 days in open court in the first trial?

Where would they get this info?

This is just the tweeters opinion. She had a few more tweets before tweeting about Flores tragedy. Her first tweet she is saying it is what she thinks, not what she knows.

I guess Jodi needs to redesign her t-shirts for her allocution. Quickly.
Survivor -> BPD forever?

Does he explain why she was able to testify for 18 days in open court in the first trial?
Nope. He just whines that she cannot testify in open court because of her mental illness. I hope they are boxed into a corner by putting this in the motion, and she will not be able to testify again.

There was concern in today's trial thread about this juror question:

Juror: "Do you feel that the knowledge of a sexual assault is as damaging as having a memory of it? Memory supports symptoms of intrusive thoughts." De: " It wouldn't be PTSD without memory".

I took this to refer to Jodi saying she was told she was sexually assaulted when she was young, but she doesn't remember. So when DM says memory is required for PTSD, you'd have to conclude that JA does not have PTSD from this event. Demarte might also have said you have to have the symptoms of PTSD for it to be PTSD.

Regarding this juror question:

"17. How does dissociation play into BPD? It's a technique to distance oneself from an environment that is anxiety-provoking. One of the symptoms of BPD is dissociation and paranoia."

It sounds as though this juror watched the first trial. Has dissociation even been discussed in this trial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie