Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/10 - Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for saying this. I don't read Sanders any more because he mixes reality with stuff he's made up and there aren't clear delineations between the two. In particular, I intensely dislike that he speaks for how the jury is thinking, when he can't possibly know what's in someone else's head, let alone 15 heads or whatever we're down to. And his projections were way off when it came to what the collective jurors evidently are thinking about Demarte.

I prefer to read reporting that is more factually based, but I can see others like Sanders' style. It's just not for me. At all.

I would actually very much value his recountings if he wrote as just that..the 13th juror. Not speaking for the jury as a whole (he can't any more than any of us can), but as a recent juror hearing, processing, and reporting testimony as if he were on the jury. THAT would be interesting.

Take his inaccurate portrayal of T's grandmother reading that vile letter, veiled and ready to go to T's funeral. Is that how he actually heard the testimony? If he heard it that way maybe a real juror did too. Maybe that's the emotional impact the letter had on the jury. Or did he simply embellish the story because he is after all there to tell a story? The embellishing muddies the waters.

Yes.

I hugely appreciate that we finally were allowed to read transcripts of her secret testimony. No wee tweets that. And no misinterpretation by anyone. But still not the same as watching her testify. Did she do that lizard lip licking thing? Did she smirk? Look smug? Roll out the meek girl routine? Body language says what words can't. I'll definitely watch whatever video comes out post trial, just to see for myself.

I'm a body language person myself. It speaks louder than words in many cases.

I do remember hearing that one of the jurors had a parent that's a psychologist or psychiatrist...I'm thinking that's probably the case because if it were an actual psychiatrist or psychcologist I think the DT or less likely the PT would have made a big deal of it.

Nice to get this info, I had wondered where the info came from that a psychologist was a juror--I believe someone posted that juror #1 was a psych but didn't clarify where the report originated. I have been rather skeptical that there is a juror who is a psych because, as I had posted yesterday, none of the juror questions sounded to me like a psych. However, I also thought that, while it didn't seem likely, this particular person just might not be asking questions.

Thanks for posting this KP and Memoriesbymichelle.

From 2/03/15:

From Ziggy @ 4:00 p.m. AZ time:

Dr. JD talked to TA ex-fiance: she was uncomfortable with TA spanking her in public as a joke and asked him not to do it. She was also uncomfortable with the kissing.

TA did not agree with her career choice as a teacher because of lack of good salary compensation.

She said any sexual activity was consensual, not forced - he never physically abused her.
She told Dr. JD when she was with TA late at night at his house and they saw a light that came on when, Ta went to investigate he said it was not Jodi (they both thought it was). Then shortly before TA death, he confessed to her that it was Jodi.
--

From TexMex @ 4:00 p.m. AZ time:

BK

Lisa described for Demarte being at TA's house. A light went on in the house. TA went to investigate. TA said it wasn't JA but later--not long before he died--TA admitted to Lisa that it was, in fact, JA that night.
---

Michael Kiefer @michaelbkiefer · 54s 54 seconds ago

DeMarte repeats the story of Alexander being home with Lisa Andrews when he notices a light go out.

When he checks, it's #jodiarias.

Jen's Trial Diaries @TrialDiariesJ · 48s 49 seconds ago
Lisa told DeMarte when TA and Lisa were in a house a light came on/ TA went to check it out it was JA who snuck in and was turning them on
--

From 2/04/15:

DeMarte repeats the story of Alexander being home with Lisa Andrews when he notices a light go out.

----

These are all the tweets/posts I found on the subject. Welcome to WS, Samspace!

By golly, everyone here on WS is right. No one here is wrong! It just depends on which tweeter person we hear!
ROTFLACGU !!

I watched Dr. Phil yesterday and he had Corey Batey, one of the Vanderbilt football players, who was convicted in the brutal rape of a female student. I am in no way excusing their behavior because it was a horrendous crime that was incomprehensible. This happened in Nashville TN and the justice system in each state is different. However, I was shocked to hear he could be sentenced to 144 years. Compare that to this trial. Jodi could get 25 years with a chance for parole. (Hoping for the death sentence) I am not minimizing what these players did to this poor girl just shocked that if you slaughter someone you could actually get out of jail in your lifetime. How messed up is this?

I believe the reason the sentence could be that way is because of the numerous counts.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2015/01/27/vandebilt-rape-trial-verdict-breakdown/22385025/

Cory Batey was found guilty of:

Count 1: aggravated rape, anal penetration with fingers

Count 2: aggravated rape, vaginal penetration with fingers

Count 3: aggravated rape, mouth penetration with penis

Count 4: attempted aggravated rape, vaginal penetration with penis

Count 5: aggravated rape, criminal responsibility for anal penetration with water bottle by Brandon Banks

Count 6: aggravated sexual battery, contact with private areas

Count 7: aggravated sexual battery, slapping of buttocks

Brandon Vandenburg was found guilty of:

Count 1: aggravated rape, criminal responsibility for Batey's anal penetration with fingers

Count 2: aggravated rape, criminal responsibility for Batey's vaginal penetration with fingers

Count 3: aggravated rape, criminal responsibility for Batey's mouth penetration with penis

Count 4: attempted aggravated rape, criminal responsibility for Batey's vaginal penetration with penis

Count 5: aggravated rape, criminal responsibility for anal penetration with water bottle by Brandon Banks

Count 6: aggravated sexual battery, criminal responsibility for contact with private areas

Count 7: aggravated sexual battery, slapping of buttocks

Count 8: tampering with evidence by destruction of condoms after rape

Count 9: unlawful photography, by sending images to others

Sentencing overview

Sentencing will be addressed at a hearing on March 6. Batey and Vandenburg were taken to prison Tuesday.

Aggravated rape is a class A felony carrying a penalty of 15 to 60 years.

Aggravated sexual battery is a class B felony penalized by eight to 30 years.

Unlawful photography is a class E felony with a possible prison term of one to six years.

Tampering with evidence is a class C offense that carries a penalty of three to 15 years.

Neither defendant has a felony conviction history, which could factor into sentencing. Findings of guilt on aggravated charges carry mandatory minimum sentences.

Across the state in 2013, aggravated sexual battery convictions led to prison sentences of an average of just more than 11 years.

Aggravated rape and aggravated sexual battery are "100 percent" crimes, meaning anyone sentenced to the 25-year maximum would serve that time in full.

If you have read or seen any of the coverage detailing exactly what these guys did to that poor unconscious girl you might feel differently. Taking and sharing videos and laughing about what they did like she deserved it, etc. Nasty! You should watch the 20/20 show they did that shows some of the video of them hauling her out of the car and into the room, etc.

Oceanblueeyes, you seem to have a very healthy outlook and I admire your courage. Its those like you who can see that Arias claims of abuse are ludicrous. And you also understand that men can be abused by women. Here is the link to a person of notoriety, a man, who along with his children, endured years of abuse from a wife who finally committed suicide. He lived a horrible life and could not stop it. I'm speculating too, when I add that 'divorce' was not looked at favorably, since his family are known to be Catholic. (I think that is true of the Catholics, but I'm not certain.) But she was Borderline.

Here's the link: The New Face of Borderline Personality Disorder: Mary Richardson Kennedy Abused Her Husband and Children and Committed Suicide as a Final Act of Revenge for Perceived Abandonment
http://shrink4men.com/2012/06/11/th...nal-act-of-revenge-for-perceived-abandonment/

:eek: Read this article and was amazed at how well it also fitted Arias' actions. (minus the children, thank the powers that be)

No, the dismissed juror was being interviewed by a tv reporter. And she said on tv, that ' We were surprised to see her on the stand in an empty courtroom, and WE THOUGHT ' WHAT HAPPENED?'

The tweet was from a JA supporter, who sent the video to Nurmi, saying it would be helpful because it seemed to show that the jury was discussing the case...

And it does seem to show that, but who knows if she is telling an accurate story?

That is probably why they went in one by one---to be asked if they discussed the super secret testimony with each other.

Well, this is the first I've heard of this. :gaah: So I'm thinking, should we / I be worried. Idk, maybe not, in a way it might be a relief, at least in the big picture considering that this has all turned into little more than a big joke of a show anyway, thanks to Nurmi and Willmott's Three Ring Circus .... Yeah, Ringling Brothers, eat your heart out. Hopefully JSS will show some backbone if it comes down to her being the one to impose the sentencing. I hope I don't sound PO'd, I don't mean to, but I really am. :stormingmad:

By golly, everyone here on WS is right. No one here is wrong! It just depends on which tweeter person we hear!
ROTFLACGU !!

This would have been a good time for TA to have actually pulled that Lion Backer thing JA claimed, and did that body slam move, I bet she would have thought twice before she intruded again!

I'd answer, but I'm officially now allergic to even the word...L.ig.h.t. :D

I don't know what to say, other than if FinallyRegistered actually took Ambien, they are no longer with us right now. ;)

I'm having trouble following the BPD stuff.

If you have BPD do you intentionally do this manipulative stuff or do you think that what you're doing is normal.

An example would be: Did JA think ALL people have the right to check their significant others SM accounts if they thought they were being cheated on?

From the beginning I have thought that JA truly believed that if a jury heard just how much TA "put her through" they would totally understand why she killed him.

I'm not sure I'm making myself clear, but with BPD do they know they are being manipulative and don't care as long as it gets them what they want, or do they not realize what they're doing and just think everyone manipulates like that?

TIA...hope I made sense.

I'd say that manipulation requires intent -- you behave in a deliberate way in order to achieve a certain, specific outcome. As opposed to, say, passive aggression. There's still a specific desired outcome, but I don't think passive aggressive people know that they're behaving in a passive aggressive manner. If they know full well what they're doing, them it's manipulation. Jodi knows full well what she's doing. IMO.

Being made fun of isn't being "snarky"...it's being hurtful. Personally, I see nothing amusing about it.

From 2/03/15:

From Ziggy @ 4:00 p.m. AZ time:

Dr. JD talked to TA ex-fiance: she was uncomfortable with TA spanking her in public as a joke and asked him not to do it. She was also uncomfortable with the kissing.

TA did not agree with her career choice as a teacher because of lack of good salary compensation.

She said any sexual activity was consensual, not forced - he never physically abused her.
She told Dr. JD when she was with TA late at night at his house and they saw a light that came on when, Ta went to investigate he said it was not Jodi (they both thought it was). Then shortly before TA death, he confessed to her that it was Jodi.
--

From TexMex @ 4:00 p.m. AZ time:

BK

Lisa described for Demarte being at TA's house. A light went on in the house. TA went to investigate. TA said it wasn't JA but later--not long before he died--TA admitted to Lisa that it was, in fact, JA that night.
---

Jen's Trial Diaries @TrialDiariesJ · 48s 49 seconds ago
Lisa told DeMarte when TA and Lisa were in a house a light came on/ TA went to check it out it was JA who snuck in and was turning them on
--

From 2/04/15:

----

These are all the tweets/posts I found on the subject. Welcome to WS, Samspace!

So Kiefer said ' Light OUT' , but both BK and Jen said ' Light ON.'

In Nurmi's latest motion he says that because of JA's mental illness she is unable to testify in open court. If she were decide to testify in the sir rebuttal, could Nurmi be sanctioned for lying in the motion?

Was it in this trial or the previous one where he referred to Jodi as "a mentally ill girl?" Mentally ill yet able to plan and carry out a complicated murder? And "young girl?" Please.

So Kiefer said ' Light OUT' , but both BK and Jen said ' Light ON.'

Well, it's lights OUT for Hope-lessly snarky. :D. Looking forward to the work of trial resuming tomorrow. Breaks are too exhausting. :bed:

This can't be true - any time she was spun around I thought it was Travis doing the spinning.
I was doing a crossword puzzle last week one of the clues was spin around, first think that popped into my head was Jodi Arias, of course there weren't enough letters.

Anyone know? Because of the AZ Supreme Court ruling, does JM get to cross JA on what she has already testified to in secret? Thx

Yes.

I hugely appreciate that we finally were allowed to read transcripts of her secret testimony. No wee tweets that. And no misinterpretation by anyone. But still not the same as watching her testify. Did she do that lizard lip licking thing? Did she smirk? Look smug? Roll out the meek girl routine? Body language says what words can't. I'll definitely watch whatever video comes out post trial, just to see for myself.

I've been wondering about this as well. From her words alone, I sense no remorse but transcripts don't portray body language so it's hard to say. One thing I find very telling is the fact JW doesn't ever ask if she needs a moment to regroup or a tissue or asks if she can go on. Suggests there wasn't a whole lot of real emotion expressed in that testiphony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow