VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 44

Status
Not open for further replies.
PER BK: One "lone" juror just walked out of the deliberation room--she doesn't think it was one of the 8 that went out earlier

are they still at lunch? ill have to be sparing with checking after about 8.30 :sigh:

:seeya: Hi Josie !

Not sure IF the jurors went to "lunch" -- we know that 8 left, and just came back -- but it did not seem long enough for a lunch, IMO.

Carolyn Sung ‏@CarolynSungCNN 2m2 minutes ago
One juror left for a break. #jodiarias #VerdictWatch #cnn

seems to be the same split as last time. Always 8, or 7 to 8 coming and going together. The fact that the others were in 2's or 3's and they seemed to have their heads down says they are the ones that disagree on the sentence. I could be wrong but that's how I am seeing it. I think it's very sad how much is kept from a jury in the name of justice. I also don't understand someone saying that people are out for vengeance if they want the same thing to happen to Arias as she did to Travis. To ME that would be ultimate justice not vengeance. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and an eye for an eye and all that. It won't ever happen but that's how I think punishment should be. If someone stabs someone 29 times they should get the same fate. Vengeance for me would be to hang her in the street til she rots, but that is not what I want. I just will never figure out, even if they talk afterwards, which after all this I hope they don't because that might make me angrier, why this is such a struggle for them.

I so want the dp for "it" (ja). I have watched this case from the very beginning, but I'm just so sick of all this. This case should have been finished after the first trial. I'm so sick of hearing or reading "its" name and I think "it" thrives on all this. The only reason I'm still here is I hope it in some way supports the Alexander family and Mr. Martinez.
Once this case is finished, I will say a final prayer for the Alexander family and Mr. Martinez and scrub the thought of "it" from my mind.

She gets a cell to herself.

She may but I wasn't necessarily speaking about just her. The prison in general is very overcrowded… When they first arrive, all the women at Perryville are locked down in Lumley unit receiving and they lock them up 2-3 women in a cell. If she gets life in prison, she won't always be alone. At first, sure.

seems to be the same split as last time. Always 8, or 7 to 8 coming and going together. The fact that the others were in 2's or 3's and they seemed to have their heads down says they are the ones that disagree on the sentence. I could be wrong but that's how I am seeing it. I think it's very sad how much is kept from a jury in the name of justice. I also don't understand someone saying that people are out for vengeance if they want the same thing to happen to Arias as she did to Travis. To ME that would be ultimate justice not vengeance. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and an eye for an eye and all that. It won't ever happen but that's how I think punishment should be. If someone stabs someone 29 times they should get the same fate. Vengeance for me would be to hang her in the street til she rots, but that is not what I want. I just will never figure out, even if they talk afterwards, which after all this I hope they don't because that might make me angrier, why this is such a struggle for them.

What information was kept away from this jury?

BBM Agreed, we don't know what the "impasse" was concerning. It could have been just about anything; how to weigh mitigators, sentencing, murder 1 charge. I've never been summoned for jury duty so I can only imagine the questions that surface in a trial of this magnitude.

I've not served on a jury either. While I can sit here all day and say I could give the DP and that JA deserves the DP, I'm not sure if it came down to it what I would actually do. I definitely do not envy them, this is a difficult decision to make.

I bet she is writing a 100 page love letter to Jodi Arias.

From Hayden:
Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 · 35s35 seconds ago

I have been told that #JodiArias spends a lot of time "working on her paperwork" while alone in her courthouse holding cell.

Lovely digs! This would could make one request death sentence.

Ahhh I got you. I thought that for a bit too, but I believe the Casey Anthony comparisons actually may have hurt Jodi Arias because everyone wants justice for Caylee, so if I'm making sense, it's like they feel the pretty Caucasian girl archetype needs to not get away again, so to speak.

Gotcha. I suppose that is true. I think the crime scene sealed it for a lot of folks.

I am horrified when I read the daily mail these days. Full of pretty 20s or 30s teachers sleeping with middle and high school kids. HORRIFYING! I remember a beautiful blonde teacher being given probation and the kid was like 12. No sentence.

In any event, JA and CA are two peas in a pod, but one had 33 days to cover the tracks..... sigh

Well, at least the jurors are definitely attempting to get to 12/12 decision. I give them so much credit. This cannot be an easy situation. It's really easy for me to sit here and say I would do this or that but I am not in their shoes. It has to be tough. These jurors should be commended for their time and effort, no matter what verdict they come up with.

PER BK: The "lone" juror has returned and the DC is started once again.

From Hayden:

I have been told that #JodiArias spends a lot of time "working on her paperwork" while alone in her courthouse holding cell.

This reminds me of how I used to 'play at work'-- my mom would bring home work papers and I'd pretend I was at work. We also used to 'play school' and my dolls were the students. I would suspect Jodi's 'paperwork' is much like that.

I bet she is writing a 100 page love letter to Jodi Arias.
Or she's decided she'll be allowed to set up her cell as she likes, so she's doing a schematic of the furniture plan.

In Florida, defendants must be found guilty by a unanimous vote, whether they steal a car or kill. When it comes to recommending the ultimate punishment, a simple majority, 7-5, suffices. We are the only state in America that allows such split juries to recommend death. And it matters. In 2012, almost two-thirds of the defendants sent to Florida's death row were ushered there even after some of the jurors believed they should be spared.

I sat on a murder trial back in 1996. It was a death penalty case and I tried like the dickens to be honest during voir dire by saying I thought I could recommend the death penalty. I got picked to be on the jury and it was absolutely unanimous when it came to the guilt phase. The sentencing phase, however, was much harder. We approached it by "polling" each juror, having them write their desired "sentence" and put it, folded up, in the center of the table. They were then all mixed up and the foreman started to read off the recomended sentence. It was 10-2 for the death penalty. I was one of the 2 who voted for LWOP. After the polling, we all spent approximately 2 hours discussing our thoughts, both positive and negative, and then decided that with such a big margin - we would take one final vote. Again the vote was 10-2. We went back into the courtroom and returned a sentence of the death penalty. When it got right down to it, I couldn't give the kid who murdered a school teacher the death penalty, mostly because of his older brother's plea to us to spare his life. I won't go into all the details, but I felt like this kid was misguided from birth. That's not an excuse to murder, but I felt he would be better off in jail for life. I recently read where he appealed his verdict and his sentence was commuted to LWOP. So, even though he was originally given the death penatly, it ends up he is now serving a life sentence. We are also one of few states where the judge can overrule our recommended sentence and give the Defendant Life or Death. Yes, I know - everything in FL is just a little wacky!

I truly hope this jury is able to do what I wasn't able to do, although the cases were nothing alike. I could absolutely give Jodi a death sentence. Her "overkill" of Travis deserves nothing less!

From Hayden:

"You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like you. You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like you. You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like you. You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like you."

Mike Watkiss ‏@mikewatkiss3tv · 11m11 minutes ago
#jodiarias jurors just returned to deliberation room after lunch break-hearing word of some closed door pow-wow at 1:00pm #3tvarias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes