VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 44

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to tell you that I find the second shot at the death penalty a waste of money and time. I know that will bother people. But I think the people who should decide on the DP are the ones who sat through the trial every day. If they don't find for death, then that should be it.

I agree. It's like an episode of Law & Order where there's an arrest, trial, conviction, and sentencing encapsulated in an hour. I haven't really understood the purpose or "execution" (no pun intended) of the retrial. If the original jury was unable to reach a unanimous verdict for Death, the Judge should have sentenced Arias to Life Without Parole. Case closed. :moo:

If they cannot figure it out by now they need to call it. Someone or several people are never going to budge.

Not necessarily... According to other cases that have been posted here, they could still go 3-4 more days and reach a verdict of Death.

Maybe that closed door tete a tete with JSS was to ask that, if they were close to a verdict, how late could they announce it?

I agree. It's like an episode of Law & Order where there's an arrest, trial, conviction, and sentencing encapsulated in an hour. I haven't really understood the purpose of the retrial. If the original jury was unable to reach a unanimous verdict for Death, the Judge should have sentenced Arias to Life Without Parole. Case closed. :moo:

I agree. I find that part of this trial the oddest. Does any other state do that?

Cathy @courtchatter · now 14 seconds ago
Jury going home for the day.

Cathy @courtchatter · 10s 10 seconds ago
Expecting to hear something from this jury one way or the other since its 430.

Wild About Trial 2 ‏@WildaboutTrial2 · 39s39 seconds ago
Just heard "Done for the day." #jodiarias

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 34s34 seconds ago
Jury going home for the day. #jodiarias

Tammy Rose ‏@News20Chopper · 1m1 minute ago  Phoenix, AZ
Court is done. No verdict. #JodiArias

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 1m1 minute ago
Word is they are done for day #jodiarias #3tvarias

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 59s59 seconds ago
Geez, back at it tomorrow. So sorry for the Alexanders. #jodiarias

It's the jurors who want DP who are not going to call it and are going to want to keep soldiering on .. this could actually go for weeks if they are stubborn enough.

Sheriff Joe better make sure he takes away all her stuff before sentencing, especially paper. Don't want her to slit her wrists before she hears her fate :)

No that would sting too much!! I'd take away her pencils, could get stabby with those!

This jury. They have been working so hard. I can not imagine what this is like for them.

Court twitter says they are gone and will resume tomorrow.

Wild About Trial 2 ‏@WildaboutTrial2 · 39s39 seconds ago
Just heard "Done for the day." #jodiarias

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 34s34 seconds ago
Jury going home for the day. #jodiarias

Tammy Rose ‏@News20Chopper · 1m1 minute ago  Phoenix, AZ
Court is done. No verdict. #JodiArias

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 1m1 minute ago
Word is they are done for day #jodiarias #3tvarias

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 59s59 seconds ago
Geez, back at it tomorrow. So sorry for the Alexanders. #jodiarias

:sigh:

Don't hang. Keep at it.
Read JA's complete 18 days on the stand if you must.

I agree. I find that part of this trial the oddest. Does any other state do that?

Michigan doesn't have the DP, so I'm not familiar with DP cases. This is the first DP case that I've followed: At age 65, I'm learning from scratch about a Death Penalty case.

These meetings are only secret to the press. The people who need to know what they are about are in the meetings. The judge made it clear from the beginning that the press was not going to be privy to the proceedings.

And when the Court of Appeals overturned her decision on the secret testimony, we saw first hand she goes too far with the secret proceedings. If AZL says its not the usual way trials are conducted in AZ, I believe her.

Hey question .. what happens if one juror or just a couple want to keep the deliberations going even after everyone else is spent and are not going to budge, could they hold everyone hostage indefinitely?

But this trial can alter your perspective on that.
Yeah, I'm not even sure I believe in hell. Human beings seem to spend a lot of time creating a hell on earth. But if there is one, she's going there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288