VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 44

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that seems believable but if they cant name names, I would just call this more fodder for the rumor mill. Somehow, I think it is unlikely that any judges are openly critiquing JSS during the trial. After maybe, but I sure hope not during.

New reporters rarely name their sources. If the source is named then the source stops talking to the press.

All I know there was a deep conversation about JSS and how this trial has been conducted differently than any other they have ever known.

Yes I want to know that too. How long can a Jury deliberate?

A) As long as they want to

B) Until one of Jodi's supporters takes a picture of one of the jurors and posts it on the internet.-----> INSTANT Mistrial !!

I'm having a really hard time with the way they are just letting these jurors mingle and mix with the crowd. Everybody there has a cell phone with a camera in it. That is exactly the kind of thing that Nurmi is hoping will happen. This has been going on for 4 days now.

I think in a death penalty case the jurors should be sequestered. In this day and age I have no idea how they could not hear anything about the case, especially with their 3 day long weekend.
I live in Toronto and in my office building there is a tv that reports daily about this case.
Yeah, but the downside to doing that is that they want to get the heck out of there! That's a big reason Casey Anthony's jury gave short shrift to deliberations. They couldn't wait to get to DisneyWorld for the 4th of July!!!

I think in a death penalty case the jurors should be sequestered. In this day and age I have no idea how they could not hear anything about the case, especially with their 3 day long weekend.
I live in Toronto and in my office building there is a tv that reports daily about this case.

I think you get the best result from a jury when they are not sequestered. But if they are in trial they won't be at work watching TV.. :)
I think that people need to be on their own and be able to live their lives at night.
I think that people on juries want to do the right thing and will if left to do it.

BBM. Do we know the jury wasn't present today during the "lock down?" I'm trying to catch up.

No, but this was during the time the jury is normally at lunch. But I believe if the jury is there the media is entitled to be there, too. I don't think the judge can keep them out. Maybe we will hear from the JA camp tonight.

A) As long as they want to

B) Until one of Jodi's supporters takes a picture of one of the jurors and posts it on the internet.-----> INSTANT Mistrial !!

I'm having a really hard time with the way they are just letting these jurors mingle and mix with the crowd. Everybody there has a cell phone with a camera in it. That is exactly the kind of thing that Nurmi is hoping will happen. This has been going on for 4 days now.

That would cause a major brouhaha (spelling?) but not a mistrial. :)

I'm going to veer OT a little bit and offer my (ill-informed) thoughts from the CA trial. THAT jury WAS sequestered, right? Just before Memorial Day. IIRC, that jury lost most the 'school summer vacation' (ie. kids out of school, time for vacations).

IMO, the CA jury was pizzed and fed up. Again, in my opinion, sequestering a jury is simply 'cruel' and has no benefit in the search for justice.

Time for me to bid you "Adieu" to spend some quality time with DH while I sip some fine red wine. It's been a pleasure to celebrate my 5th anniversary as a Websleuther with the fine folks who are following the JA case. Have a wonderful evening. :toastred:

I don't like Juror questions. I know a lot of people do but I don't. I think that the people who know the law and the rules of law should be asking the questions.
I think the dp should be tied to the trial and one shot. To me it kind of feels like double jeopardy. They were tried the jury says no dp and then the prosecutor goes for it again. I know that is not the law but it feels that way to me.

While this state is the only one I am aware of that has this particular law I think it has to be a legally sound one. If not the USSC would have struck it down by now. This is the fifth case I am aware of in Arizona that has had the sentencing phase done twice. Like I mentioned earlier... three out of the four (before the JA case) ended in the defendants receiving death and one received LWOP. So they do seem to have more success than not when achieving the death penalty the second time around.

I suppose it is no different than retrying a defendant multiple times in the guilt phase if they get a hung jury each time. I read about a case where a man was tried 7 times before he was finally convicted.

No limit.

Yeah, you're not going to find a licensed attorney anywhere in the country who thinks the secrecy was OK, IMO. If KN and JW weren't on the case, they wouldn't agree with it either. :)

BTW the Court is in Phoenix, not Mesa.
Nurmi and Wilmer had this judge pegged. They used her like a pawn in a chess game.

She refused to get back on the stand, so JSS gave JM the opportunity to have her testimony stricken from the record and he said no. The reason he said no, IMO, was because he was happy to have the opportunity to say whatever he wanted about her testimony with other witnesses/exhibits and in closing. If her testimony had been stricken from the record, he would not have been allowed to rebut it.

Thanks a lot for that. So was/is the jury aware that she refused to get back on the stand? I hope so. It's probably one of the few times in her life she knocked back the opportunity of an audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07