Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also questioning, as others have posted- why a delay in sentencing? Jodi waived her rights to make a pre-sentencing interview. No one is answering us who are wondering about this. Unless I missed the answer.

Isn't it funny how Nurmi-we'll-be-scrutinized-for-years was eager as hell to talk to the media after his little "victory"? He's the type of defense lawyer that gives the whole profession a bad name. So you "won", how about acting like a decent human being and leaving the chest-pounding for your dumb *advertiser censored* website homepage?

Yea but thank goodness he didn't go get drunk at a bar and give us all the finger! I still can't believe that happened.

what exactly do you think Jodi meant when she said she was sorry for the verdict?

She said because the Alexanders weren't happy about it. It's hollow. It's a passive aggressive shot at them.

I just speed-read this thread so I'm sure I missed some things. My thoughts:

1. Regarding juror #17 "not deliberating": I know jurors are saying #17 "wouldn't deliberate," but then they describe what she said during deliberations--that she wanted to focus on the journals, that she thought the DP would be revenge, etc. If JSS was told this juror was "not deliberating" and then questioned #17 and/or the other jurors and got this information, she COULD NOT legally have removed her from the jury. Steadfastly refusing to change your mind from day 1 is not the same as refusing to deliberate and is specifically permitted by the jury instructions.

2. Regarding juror #17 having prior knowledge of the case: Prior knowledge of the case is fine as long as you answer truthfully about it in voir dire. I don't know if this juror did answer truthfully, although I'm 100% sure I saw a tweet about a juror who had seen the Lifetime movie. It would have been improper, of course, for juror #17 to have brought up extraneous information in deliberations. Do we know whether the jurors actually mentioned this to the judge? I didn't see anything about them telling JSS about the Lifetime movie, etc. If they had told JSS, the appropriate way for JSS to handle this (assuming the juror had not lied in voir dire) would have been for her to instruct the jury not to consider any information other than that presented in the trial. She COULD NOT legally have removed the juror for mentioning these things in deliberation unless the juror insisted, after instruction, on considering the previously heard information.

3. Regarding juror #17's feelings on the death penalty: Again, I don't know what she said in voir dire. But it sounds like what she said in deliberations was that she "absolutely" believed in the death penalty but couldn't say under what circumstances it should be applied. This information WOULD NOT disqualify her from a death case and it would have been improper for JSS to disqualify her for not being able to specify under what circumstances she would vote for death. As to her statement that the DP was just "revenge"--in light of the other statement that she "absolutely" believed in the DP, I wonder if she said that IN THIS CASE she believes the DP would be revenge. If so, JSS COULD NOT legally have removed her as being disqualified to impose death.

I have seen it happen in other cases. If one refuses to deliberate then they aren't doing what the Judge instructed them to do. Of course they can have their own opinion but they have to at least listen to the other jurors and be interactive in deliberations. They cant sit there with their arms crossed and refuse. It sounds like going in she said she thought the DP was about revenge. That shows to me she had no intentions of giving the death penalty and shouldn't have been on there in the first place.

Because the death penalty is about punishment and not about revenge.

what exactly do you think Jodi meant when she said she was sorry for the verdict?

She thought she'd be the next Debra Milke and get her Death Sentence overturned on appeal and walk out a free woman. She was planning to join that lawsuit.

They might have known last night or this morning, but I assume it was a surprise or the one Alexander sister wouldn't have cried out like that. :(

Thanks for being here, AZL.

What's a presentencing interview? Why is it necessary? Why did JSS need to postpone the sentencing?

On the bright side, she's still in prison for the rest of her life, she's not going to be the life of the party. (I hear she's been in fights. All defensive. :rolleyes: ) If Perryville prison is in her 1,000 places to see she can strike another one off the list, but not any more than that. No Cinnabons, strawberry fraps and based on her age, at least sixty years of doing nothing fun anymore. That's sixty years to think about how she :censored: up her own life. There will be no remorse for Travis, but she will be upset with how his murder is affecting her.

The Alexanders won't have to put up with multiple appeals. The lack of so many appeals will keep Jodi out of the news now. JMO

Anyone care how Jodi feels? I don't but I did find it interesting what she has tweeted since the verdict.

Jodi Arias Updates @JodiAnnArias
· 3m 3 minutes ago
To all the premeditating cold-blooded would-be killers on #JodiArias jury: U DON'T KILL A WOMAN 4 KILLING HER ABUSER, dumbsh-ts. #no-brainer

Jodi Arias Updates @JodiAnnArias
· 10m 10 minutes ago
"I feel kind of gang-raped by Troy Hayden, Joe Arpaio and Lisa Allen because of the media ambush." -- #JodiaArias

She actually tweeted this?

I guess I'm totally out of touch with these things - are prisoners allowed to have cell phones/computers now? IF not, how is she sending these messages? Sorry for my ignorance on this - I thought they had to smuggle phones into prisons....

Jodi's trying to make friends from a distance to make it easier when she gets there. She's been trying to delay getting to Perryville for a long time, yet people say Estrella's worse. Not sure what to believe, but her new cell is ugly and Travis blue. Hope she's there by Memorial Day and can experience Arizona heat in the exercise cage.

It can be a satisfying experience to google "roaches in Perryville prison".......

They did--they asked for a list of exhibits early on and they got one.

That's what the juror said they got AFTER they asked for a list and more info. A bunch of DVDs with dates on them.

The judge doesn't need any more information. But perhaps Jodi wants to make a statement and is hoping the media loses interest before April 13.

Yes, she will stay at Estrella until sentencing.

Nope, JA said she wouldn't be making any statement, JSS confirmed it and it's on tape.

Any Starbucks, not even Strawberry Frappe will be Starbucks Jodi can't have. That and Cinnabons. Enjoy knowing she's given up those pleasures forever.
I wouldn't waste the postage on this killer, but it would be funny to send her a Starbucks postcard (because she can't receive letters) that has a coupon for a free Strawberry Frappuccino printed on it, because she will NEVER get to use it. :happydance:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288