Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another day, another Doe.

Jennifer K. "Kaya" Thompson, the onetime Jane Doe No. 2, is coming forward to back those women and 35 others who've made claims against the comedian.

"It's come to my understanding that there's greater credibility for my testimony with a full name and an image," Thompson, 44, who formerly went public only as "Jena T.," tells PEOPLE exclusively.

http://www.people.com/article/bill-cosby-jane-doe-reveals-name-jennifer-thompson

Jewel Allison writes:
'Rape Trumps Race': Is Bill Cosby's Image Tarnished in Black History?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jewel...age-tarnished-in-black-history_b_6801154.html

Every year, in America, on March 1st while our clocks strike 12:00 a.m. Black History Month is over. Just like the infamous fairy tale Cinderella, all the magic disappears at midnight. The euphoria vanishes and we, who believe in racial equality, struggle with the realization that the next 11 months transforms from being just like the regal horses and golden carriage in Cinderella, into four mice and a pumpkin; and for the next 364 days we emotionally search for a glass slipper of equality and inclusion.

What may be argued as being historic is that for the first time in over 30 years the image of an African-American icon, Bill Cosby, is tarnished with sexual assault and rape allegations by dozens of women. Once spoken of with reverence in the media and classrooms, for the first time, Mr. Cosby's image may have been deleted from classrooms. Prior to me being sexually assaulted by Bill Cosby, I would have never imagined that he would be excluded from the barrage of accolades given to famous Black folks during the short month of February. Quite frankly, if I was not sexually assaulted by Bill Cosby I would have a difficult time believing he was guilty just like many others.

Bill Cosby sexually assaulted me. I didn’t tell because I didn’t want to let black America down.
I let race trump rape.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...cause-i-didnt-want-to-let-black-america-down/
Historical context also has fueled much of this doubt. Last year, before I revealed my own story, I called a very dear friend who is an African-American woman and asked what she thought about the women accusing Bill Cosby. “I don’t believe these white women,” she said. “They are just trying to destroy another black man.” It pained me terribly to hear her say it, but I knew her perspective wasn’t uncommon. Black people are sensitive to the fact that, for centuries, images of African-American men as threats to white women have been used to justify oppressing them.

Eventually, it was the vicious anger that some directed at Barbara Bowman, Victoria Valentino, and the other courageous women who spoke up about their assaults by Cosby that convinced me to come forward. I saw in their eyes the same deep pain that I had been experiencing silently for years. Other women of color started speaking up to say they had been drugged and/or sexually assaulted by Cosby, too, and model Beverly Johnson eventually joined them. When I finally told my story in November, it was hard for me to look other African-American people in the eye. On some level, I felt that I had betrayed black America. And some of my African-American friends seemed too hurt by the damage to Cosby’s image to offer me any support. The friend who had dismissed the stories of Cosby’s white accusers, for instance, didn’t offer me any words of comfort. But as I broke my silence, I learned that faith and fear can’t live in the same space.

Soon after I told my story, I ran into a successful African-American photographer who asked me, “Sister, is it true?” The tone of his question made it sound like our father had died. “I’m sorry, brother, but it is true. But do not let this weaken you in any way,” I told him.

Cosby was once a source of hope for many African Americans. But fictional icons like him should not wield so much power over our collective spirit. Our nation’s greatest African-American heroes have been on the front lines of Civil Rights efforts, not in our television sets. They are in the mothers and fathers who fought real-life challenges to raise us and in the teachers and professors who worked long hours to educate us. Bill Cosby did not lead the March on Washington, and The Cosby Show didn’t end racism. The only legacy at stake is of one entertainer, not of black manhood, as I once feared. And African Americans don’t need to find their heroes in television characters.

Just chiming in to say I genuinely feel empathy for Camille and wonder what I would do in such a situation. There hasn't been publicity since she stood by her man, but I wonder how she can live with this.

Just chiming in to say I genuinely feel empathy for Camille and wonder what I would do in such a situation. There hasn't been publicity since she stood by her man, but I wonder how she can live with this.

I've been thinking about this topic since you posted this, and after much thought I have to say I don't feel much empathy for her. She's an educated, intelligent woman, and the sheer number of Jane Does (with nothing to gain) who were willing to testify in the Andrea Constand lawsuit should have clued her in back then, if she had no suspicions up to that point, that there was something wrong with her husband.

It seems to me, then, that her difficult choice arose back then, and she chose to stay with him and live with it. So she's probably just fine. Whatever allowed her to stay with him then became second nature to her long ago.

IMO of course.

and his kids......what must they be thinking/feeling?

I think his wife might possibly have had reasons to suspect something even long before Constand and the Does as some of the women said they were attacked in Cosby's home and even met Camille at some point, and managed to justify it somehow in her mind long ago.

Some women dissociate themselves mentally from the no-gooder husband and end up living largely separate lives even though still technically married. They are certainly wealthy enough to manage that in all of their mansions I think.

Then again this kind of public disgrace might sometimes be the saving of the marriage for some people and actually bring them closer together, in an us-against-the-world manner, or at least give them the illusion of closeness. Once the tide has turned, everyone has wised up, there is no one to rape anymore (I sincerely hope anyway) and a big part of the fawning world has turned its back on the legend it might be the long-suffering good wife he's turning to for comfort, reassurance and ego boosting. A stream of extravagant apologies, lavish gifts, I love yous and promises might go some way to placate the spouse and make her think things are going to change for the better finally (even if the abuser is still an abuser deep in his heart).

I would be very surprised if we'll ever find out how it goes with them, she doesn't seem the type to pour her heart out on Dr. Phil.

I haven't watched this yet (I'm at work)......

Bill Cosby releases bizarre 10-second video to promote comedy shows as he says: 'I'm far from finished'

In the short clip, the beleaguered comedian speaks on the phone to someone about his stand-up show, saying: 'You know I'll be hilarious'

He also released a statement saying: 'Hey, hey, hey, I'm far from finished'

More than 30 women have now accused Cosby of unwanted sexual advances but he has denied any wrongdoing

He continues to tour the U.S. but some of his shows have been canceled or have been met with protests from women's groups

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-shows-says-m-far-finished.html#ixzz3TuLm2y4D

I haven't watched this yet (I'm at work)......

Bill Cosby releases bizarre 10-second video to promote comedy shows as he says: 'I'm far from finished'

In the short clip, the beleaguered comedian speaks on the phone to someone about his stand-up show, saying: 'You know I'll be hilarious'

He also released a statement saying: 'Hey, hey, hey, I'm far from finished'

More than 30 women have now accused Cosby of unwanted sexual advances but he has denied any wrongdoing

He continues to tour the U.S. but some of his shows have been canceled or have been met with protests from women's groups

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-shows-says-m-far-finished.html#ixzz3TuLm2y4D

I wish the media would quit saying BC has "denied any wrongdoing". As far as I know he hasn't denied anything, he's just not talking (other than a vague reference to. "Innuendos" early on in the current scandal)

IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find it absolutely despicable of BC, to assure parents he would protect their daughters, when it was in fact from BC they needed protection.

I wish CC would open her eyes and face the truth about BC.

IMHO

Looking at that 10 second video of Bill Cosby talking into an old phone - which doesn't appear to be plugged into anything - to nobody and touting how "You know I'll be hilarious" - it is finally obvious to me that he has lost his rabidass mind.

Looking at that 10 second video of Bill Cosby talking into an old phone - which doesn't appear to be plugged into anything - to nobody and touting how "You know I'll be hilarious" - it is finally obvious to me that he has lost his rabidass mind.

I came to that conclusion when I watched a clip on youtube of him on Jimmy Fallon's show. He was making absolutely no sense whatsoever. Even Fallon looked baffled at a few points.

Maybe this is just the way my suspicious mind works, but it would be awfully convenient for BC to suddenly start showing signs of dementia. Who's going to press a sad sick old man about crimes he committed over many decades if he now shows signs he's losing his faculties? Could be a clever way to shut down the discussions.

Imo

Maybe this is just the way my suspicious mind works, but it would be awfully convenient for BC to suddenly start showing signs of dementia. Who's going to press a sad sick old man about crimes he committed over many decades if he now shows signs he's losing his faculties? Could be a clever way to shut down the discussions.

Imo

Yes but--it seems to me he can't both claim dementia and continue performing the shows that haven't been cancelled.

He was showing signs of dementia before this recent exposure of his alleged crimes, so I think the senile dementia is real.

For assuring people that he's hilarious, making a funny video would have worked better. That's just a random old man talking randomly to a dead phone and not a joke in sight unless you count Cosby as a joke.

But demented or not, I think he's likely to remember the highlights of his life longer and won't be forgetting all the rapes any time soon.

So, now we have a fair idea that Cosby may not have consulted the A list of Hollywood PR spinners who specialize in repairing reputations and the public personas of politicians, actors, high profile businessmen and others who want the public to see them in a positive light.

Torossian, who's worked with clients including Snoop Dogg and Pamela Anderson, was also quick to point out that the sleepwear was particularly troubling. "I don't understand releasing a video of someone… in his pajamas who has been accused of many sexual assaults." Other professionals agree. Asked about the lighthearted video and the styling choices, Richard Rubenstein, president of the New York-based firm Rubenstein PR, said, "It's not the direction that I would probably have suggested since the accusations are so serious. Things simply cannot go back to normal, and the silk pajamas are, unfortunately, a little strange."

"If he wants to be found innocent in the court of public opinion, he can tape a statement which speaks to the seriousness of the allegations against him," Torossian suggested. "This video makes it seem as if Bill Cosby is living in a delusion."

...for some, Cosby's message wasn't just weak and ineffective; it was downright damaging. "I find the video awkward and strange, and I don't think it moves him forward," noted Howard Bragman, the founder of Fifteen Minutes PR, who's repped high-profile clients such as former White House intern Monica Lewinsky and retired NBA player John Amaechi before his coming out in 2007. "It only reminds people of his alleged indiscretions."

All aspects of the video post considered, the verdicts are in, and there seems to be far more wrong with this effort than right. "I believe you will not find any public relations expert who would see this video clip and give a thumbs up. It looks ridiculous and absurd," Torossian concluded. "The Bill Cosby legacy as we know it is over."

all quotes from https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/c...h-bill-cosby-s-message-to-fans-000652286.html

As far as I'm concerned, BC looked as though he was begging people to come to his show, to laugh with him rather than at him, and exposing himself as someone who, in other circumstances, might be simply seen as making an overdue farewell tour. Under these circumstances, it seems like more of a game that he's playing with the alleged victims of his alleged assaults. Far from finished, the comeback tour, is not the license to print money that I'm sure BC and his team thought it would be.

Clad in fuchsia pajamas and perched on a vintage lounge chair, Cosby talks into a rotary phone in the clip. "Yes! I'm going to be in Wheeling, West Virgina, Capitol Music Hall, 8 o'clock show; that's right!" he chirps into the phone. "You know I'll be hilarious. Can't wait." He accompanied this video with a short written statement: "Dear fans: I hope you enjoy my wonderful video message that's filled with LAUGHTER. Hey, Hey, Hey! I'm far from finished."

If he thinks that video was filled with laughter he may be interpreting the word hilarious differently from the rest of the world as well. Wonderful? He lists the time and place for his next show and it's wonderful? Perhaps he is demented after all and it's wonderful because he managed to remember them correctly.

http://www.sheknows.com/entertainme...-first-video-message-to-fans-amid-allegations
Let's just start off with the rotary phone — maybe his publicists do have a sense of humor by mirroring his washed-up career with outdated technology.

The fact that he is trying, almost desperately in the "phone call" to convince the listener that he is still funny, and the creepy, Hugh Hefner-esque wardrobe... it's all mind-boggling.

FWIW, Nikki Giovanni, a Civil Rights activist, poet, and TV personality, gave a speech at a Miami Dade College book fair in 2007. While the focus of her speech was about BC's attack on the poor black segment of the black community (his book Come On People: On the Path from Victims to Victors in particular), she clearly tossed a gauntlet in Cosby's face. His hypocrisy was never in doubt, as the comments attest.

"Will somebody please hospitalize Bill Cosby?"
at 0:23 on the tape.

http://thegrio.com/2014/11/20/nikki-giovanni-bill-cosby/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads