Match! NY - Caledonia, WhtFem 1UFNY, 13-19, Turquoise Necklace, Nov'79 *Tammy Alexander*

Status
Not open for further replies.
1979 Caledonia NY Jane Doe Unidentified Teen - Posted 2 minutes ago

SEEKING INFORMATION! MURDER VICTIM
TAMMY JO ALEXANDER - Caledonia, New York - November 10, 1979

Date(s) of Birth Used: November 2, 1963
Place of Birth: Atlanta, Georgia
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 115 pounds
Hair: Brown with frosted tips
Eyes: Brown
Sex: Female
Race: White

Remarks: Alexander was wearing the following items when she was found: tan corduroy jeans, a multi-colored plaid cotton/polyester shirt, blue knee socks, brown rippled- sole shoes, and a red nylon-lined man's windbreaker with black stripes down the arms and a collar label reading "Auto Sports Products, Inc." She was wearing a silver necklace with three small turquoise stones, one resembling a bird. She also had with her a two-piece locket keychain with one piece in the shape of a heart with a key-shaped slot cut in it and an inscription reading "He who holds the key can open my heart" and the second piece being the key that fits into the slot in the heart.

DETAILS
On November 10, 1979, the body of an unidentified 16-year-old White female was located in a cornfield off of New York State Route 20 in Caledonia, New York. The girl had been murdered with a .38 caliber weapon. She had been shot once in the head, dragged into the cornfield from the road, and then shot again in the back.

On January 26, 2015, law enforcement officials in Livingston County, New York, announced that the female had been identifed, through the use of DNA, as Tammy Jo Alexander of Brookesville, Florida. Alexander had disappeared from her home in Florida in 1979. At the time, Alexander was known to run away from the area, sometimes hitchhiking with truckers, as she lived near a truck stop.
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact the FBI's Toll-Free Tipline at 1-800-CALL- FBI (1-800-225-5324), the Livingston County Sheriff's Office at 1-844-THE-LCSO (1-844-843-5276), your local FBI office, or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.

Direct Link to PDF Flier -

Attachments

• Seeking Info Alexander.jpg
    Seeking Info Alexander.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 663
Did anybody save the photo of her necklace? Especially the closeup one?

All photos are still available on Cali's FB page under photos. I have not had time to decide what the page will get renamed to; I have ideas.
January/ February are hard months for me with my old neighbors (like a grandpa to me) death 2 years ago; Tammy's ID; my dads 9 yr anniversary of his death then hubs gram passed Valentine's day at age 97. Been in a funk that I can't get out of.

1979 Caledonia NY Jane Doe Unidentified Teen

January/ February are hard months for me with my old neighbors (like a grandpa to me) death 2 years ago; Tammy's ID; my dads 9 yr anniversary of his death then hubs gram passed Valentine's day at age 97. Been in a funk that I can't get out of.

Roselvr,
May grace hold and comfort you during this trying time. I pray you find the peace of mind you need.
You give so much to others please take the time to take of yourself.

All photos are still available on Cali's FB page under photos. I have not had time to decide what the page will get renamed to; I have ideas.

Thank you. Condolences on your losses and warm thoughts for getting through this difficult time.

1979 Caledonia NY Jane Doe Unidentified Teen - Posted 2 minutes ago

Remarks: Alexander was wearing the following items when she was found: tan corduroy jeans, a multi-colored plaid cotton/polyester shirt, blue knee socks, brown rippled- sole shoes, and a red nylon-lined man's windbreaker with black stripes down the arms and a collar label reading "Auto Sports Products, Inc." She was wearing a silver necklace with three small turquoise stones, one resembling a bird. She also had with her a two-piece locket keychain with one piece in the shape of a heart with a key-shaped slot cut in it and an inscription reading "He who holds the key can open my heart" and the second piece being the key that fits into the slot in the heart.

DETAILS
On November 10, 1979, the body of an unidentified 16-year-old White female was located in a cornfield off of New York State Route 20 in Caledonia, New York. The girl had been murdered with a .38 caliber weapon. She had been shot once in the head, dragged into the cornfield from the road, and then shot again in the back.

On January 26, 2015, law enforcement officials in Livingston County, New York, announced that the female had been identifed, through the use of DNA, as Tammy Jo Alexander of Brookesville, Florida. Alexander had disappeared from her home in Florida in 1979. At the time, Alexander was known to run away from the area, sometimes hitchhiking with truckers, as she lived near a truck stop.
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact the FBI's Toll-Free Tipline at 1-800-CALL- FBI (1-800-225-5324), the Livingston County Sheriff's Office at 1-844-THE-LCSO (1-844-843-5276), your local FBI office, or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.

Direct Link to PDF Flier -

LCSO and the FBI really need for this flyer to keep moving far and fast through social media. If anybody can do this, we can. You can also find her post on Never Forget Me

Please, we really need to keep the tips pouring in, and to do that, we need to keep her story out there.

Having been hopeful for years and years that they would identify this girl, I'm glad to see this solved...but, I have no idea how they are going to be able to catch the person responsible after so much time, when the only thing even remotely tangible that they have to go on is a physical description. People can change in appearance, to the point of being completely unrecognizable, after 35 years.

But, I will continue to be hopeful. Maybe someone will come forward...or maybe, for once, the murderer himself will actually manage to develop a conscience and turn himself in(the true murderer, that is...not the cowardly braggarts who want to take "the credit" while already serving sentences for other crimes).

1979 Caledonia NY Jane Doe Unidentified Teen - posted 2/28 4PM
Here is the original flier but with Tammy's photo where Cali's was. Thank you to Carl for adjusting the original VICAP flier but with Tammy's photo where Cali's was.

DETAILS

Flier PDF

attachment.php

WSB TV Atlanta is reporting that Tammy had a connection to Rainbow Ministries in Young Harris, Georgia. Livingston County Sheriff Tom Dougherty indicated that Tammy was known to be in Young Harris during the Spring of 1979.

The FBI is now saying that they believe that Tammy may have traveled from Florida to Caledonia with long-haul truckers.

http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/1979-cold-case-murder-has-atlanta-connections/vDGhtM/

That would seem to indicate that they are not putting much credence in the story about a wood-paneled station wagon.

1979 Caledonia NY Jane Doe Unidentified Teen - posted 2/28 4PM
Here is the original flier but with Tammy's photo where Cali's was. Thank you to Carl for adjusting the original VICAP flier but with Tammy's photo where Cali's was.

DETAILS

Flier PDF

attachment.php

This Dr.No truck driver serial killer looks similar to Tammy's suspect sketch they say he spoke with a Jersey accent. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...kace-Nov-79-*GRAPHIC*&p=10935672#post10935672

This Dr.No truck driver serial killer looks similar to Tammy's suspect sketch they say he spoke with a Jersey accent. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...kace-Nov-79-*GRAPHIC*&p=10935672#post10935672

I'll save everyone the multiple clicks to follow posts to find a sketch. Someone on Cali's FB page suggested Zodiac Killer wiki I do not think she was killed by any serial killer
Post KillerChaser links to in Cali's thread goes to Lindy Sue Biechler at zodiac killer site. There is another post at zodiac killer site The Mysterious Dr.No where someone left the link to OHIO TRUCK STOP KILLER on Google drive that has sketches

Has anyone seen Tammy's billboard yet?

These are the sightings I have so far

1979 Caledonia NY Jane Doe Unidentified Teen shared their photo.
Has anyone seen the billboard yet? If so where did you see it? I know one was seen on I-64 in Chesapeake VA
490 in Rochester, NY
SR 436 in Longwood, FL and I4 in Orlando, FL

Driving home from work in Hamilton Ohio just north of Cincinnati (VIA WS)
Driving home from work in Hamilton Ohio just north of Cincinnati I passed a billboard for the FBI asking for any info on her case. I could barely read the print but I recognized her picture.

attachment.php

Article in today's Rochester D&C updating Livingston County's investigation. Sounds promising.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...-rainbow-ministry-georgia-dougherty/24842433/

Wish they would elaborate more on the connection.

Among the leads investigators from the Livingston County Sheriff's Office will be chasing is this question: What was the connection between Tammy Jo Alexander — the girl killed in Livingston County — and a Georgia-based prison ministry?...

...One of the leads investigators are pursuing is Alexander's ties to Rainbow Prison Ministry in Young Harris, Georgia, located in a rural mountainous area in the northeastern corner of the state....

..Little public information is available about the ministry, which worked with inmates who had been released on probation or parole. But investigators have made a connection between Alexander and the ministry.

Georgia resident Larry Chandler now owns property where the ministry director, Norman Kirsch, operated the ministry. Kirsch and his wife, Myra, are now deceased and the ministry has been defunct for years, Chandler said. A son is also deceased.

Has anyone seen Tammy's billboard yet?

These are the sightings I have so far

1979 Caledonia NY Jane Doe Unidentified Teen shared their photo.
Has anyone seen the billboard yet? If so where did you see it? I know one was seen on I-64 in Chesapeake VA
490 in Rochester, NY
SR 436 in Longwood, FL and I4 in Orlando, FL

Highway 129. It connects Hamilton OH to I-75. just north of Cincinnati (VIA WS)

attachment.php

Highway 129. It connects Hamilton OH to I-75. just north of Cincinnati (VIA WS)

Did they have her funeral yet? I really want to go to it. I've been reading about her for so long and I really feel like I should :(

Tammy Jo Alexander “Caledonia Jane Doe” - 1963-1979 Obituary

Tammy Jo's high school friend started journey to her ID Gary Craig, Staff writer 10:12 a.m. EDT May 29, 2015 -
.. She continued to traverse the web for more information, eventually finding an obituary for Alexander's mother that reported Tammy Jo as deceased. Yet, try as she might, Nowell, a genealogy buff, could find no record or information of Alexander's death or burial location.

"I don't know why whoever put that obituary in included that unless they just wanted to write her off," Nowell said.

But the obituary did help her locate Dyson. From her, Nowell learned that Alexander had vanished in 1979. Dyson said she had always been told that the police were aware of Alexander's disappearance.

"We always thought she was being looked for," Dyson said. "(Nowell) took it upon herself to dig deeper."

Nowell could not find any record of Alexander's disappearance, and tried to get the information plugged into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, or NamUs, which is operated by the U.S. Department of Justice.

NamUs wanted a police report, so she contacted police in Brooksville, Florida, where she and Alexander had lived.

"Of course they thought I was a lunatic and they blew me off for a month," she said. However, working with Dyson, she was eventually able to get a report generated about Alexander's disappearance. Police could find no such report from 1979.

The information was posted on NamUs, and, shortly thereafter, a California resident, Carl Koppelman, saw the report and considered Alexander a match with photos he'd seen of "Cali." Koppelman is a member of Websleuths.com, a network of online volunteer investigators who pore over reports of missing persons and dead bodies that are unidentified.

Koppelman contacted Nowell and others, then they reached out to the police. A DNA comparison with Dyson provided the proof that "Cali" was Tammy Jo.

From Tammy's thread -
Very good article about Tammy Jo's friend Laurel Nowell written by Gary Craig of the Democrat and Chronicle

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...exander-cali-jane-doe-laurel-nowell/28092759/

In Mr. Craig's article he mentions a fund raising site set up for Laurel Nowell so she can attend Tammy Jo's memorial on June 10th.

Websleuths does not endorse anyone's attempt at fundraising. Nothing against this campaign it's just a black and white rule. Unless specifically stated we do not discuss any fundraising on Websleuths.

Feel free to comment on the article but not on the fundraising.

Thank you,
Tricia

Attachments

• TammyJoAlexanderCaledoniaJaneDoe1963-1979.jpg
    TammyJoAlexanderCaledoniaJaneDoe1963-1979.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 681
The new headstone is now in place, and a new bench has been placed nearby.

c6371178-b117-45ed-8c25-8d76b3bc3830.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member