Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, first I'm not sure Twitter can be considered 'broadcasting' or 'publishing'; it's communicating, but that may not be the same thing. Second, I think you have to show financial harm for a libel or defamation suit. I'm not a lawyer, so this is just my layman's pov. I think name calling goes on all the time on the internet, and I don't think there's a potential lawsuit behind every one. It's galling and ridiculous that they can get away with it, but then that's the very reasons they are doing it. In the end it's petty and foolish and no one with half a brain believes any of it anyway.

That's what I thought too, then I saw this - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-libel-bill-target-successfully-sued-him.html I imagine this will soon be commonplace.

Should be an interesting day.......or not. All of this hoopla about the juror came to light mainly on Friday last week.

It's been a looooong weekend. There's been lots of Facebook deleting parties going on over the last 48 hours.

Nobody seems to know where the DA's office stands on any of this, or if they are working on it at all. They aren't talking.
We all know the courthouse closes at 5 p.m. on Friday.

If there has been no investigation launched as of this morning, chances are good that important evidence that would show wrongdoing has been deleted or destroyed, never to be discovered by anyone.

My question is, would the DA's office deliberately allow this to happen so all the furor over juror 17 would just die down and go to sleep ? No proof, no charges. No subpoenas, no evidence gathered.

Thankfully, the rest of the world doesn't just stop because it's a weekend.

Guess we'll see..........

I don't think anyone on the states side would be too motivated to look too deeply into how Juror 17's connection to Juan was overlooked, because it really just makes all of them look incompetent. Nobody pulled the records to make sure she had told the whole truth about her husbands connection to the courthouse and Juan in particular, and really how could they prove if she knew of Juan or not? It makes them look bad and there's nothing they can do about it now, so IMO they'll focus on how all the jurors names were released and published instead.

Boy, we sure aren't hearing or seeing much from MDLR right now are we ?............I wonder how she's doing........
She got really quiet and quit boasting, sometime late Thursday and into Friday. Not a peep over the weekend. I wonder why that is ?

Yep ... MLDR since late Thursday/early Friday:

:gasp:

:scared: .:panic:. :scared:

:busted:

:thinking:

:phone: . :secret: . :gathering: . :slap: . :hearno: . :sos:

:sweep: . :sweep: . :sweep:

:hills::hills::hills::hills::hills:

I know right? Heck I had trouble imagining anyone wanting to have sex with Susan before she ever killed her kids.
yep, kind of looked like a bratty 6 year old in a bigger than normal body...

Boy, we sure aren't hearing or seeing much from MDLR right now are we ?............I wonder how she's doing........

She got really quiet and quit boasting, sometime late Thursday and into Friday. Not a peep over the weekend. I wonder why that is ?

Stress and nervous tummy can sometimes give someone the craps, so might she be too busy to tweet from running to the throne?

For those who would like to see the latest smuggled JA photo take a look at Juan's Tie twitter page...
It really shouldn't be too difficult for Sheriff Arpaio to find out who was with her, it looks like it is from the courthouse..

:seeya: I was curious ... :facepalm:

I hope it's okay to post the pic :

Juan Martinez's Tie @juanstie · 22m 22 minutes ago
Here are 2 more #Leaked pics. of #JodiArias right after verdict.

B_rA-0tU8AAqn74.jpg
B_rA-1SUcAE5gVE.jpg

Link: https://twitter.com/juanstie

I too noted that apology comment...I mean she seemed to imply things got very bad and we will not really know how bad...if that happened fairly early on and intimidation was occuring that could have been the subject of a note to JSS....I just don't think we know enough to really say yet...of course that is just how I feel...I try to imagine a juror in a room where everyone else thinks differently at a point and it is just me...wow that is pressure...and the comment that some wanted off the jury if it continued....that is pretty strong...wow want to know what happened in there?
For me it boils down to the fact that the wouldn't deliberate. I'd have been angry too. After five months of my life and you won't even deliberate? Even the devil would have been frowning at my venom.

Closing Statement from Nurmi:

"Don't let anyone change your mind, Make your own decision. Don't let anyone change your mind" (paraphrasing)

Nurmi was speaking to juror #17, fully and totally. They knew what the hold up was. ( the juror's notes) as per the Allen Charge.

I cannot, and will not believe that 11 people were causing #17 undue stress, assaulting her with their words. There may have been a few that were passionate in trying to get her to see the evidence.. Remember when they went in, some were for the dp, some were undecided, nearly half if I recall. Then they went to deliberate. #17 wanted to see "CMJA" journal and the rest really want to see the "whole" of Travi's writings.

#17 didn't want to even "talk" about it, according to the 11. I cannot see all 11 being so "mean".

They were all required to deliberate. ALL of them. Seems to me, she didn't. Maybe she really isn't able to communicate her feelings verbally as well as others.

I just don't see it as all 11 were being bully's.

MDLR shut up, not to long after the verdict. She needed to. Posting "I told you to have faith!!! " before the Judge announced what the jury decided or lack of decision. She also posted one other thing that went viral that wasn't very professional.

Again I say, I hope it's all investigated.

I am right with you.
I don't think we will ever see either notes to the Judge.

This is JMOO, I have thought a lot about this and talked with some other people with opinions. JMoo, The note the 11 jurors sent her must have been powerful and I'm sure told of their frustrations. I believe, again jmoo, Juror 17's note was also powerful. Listening to the video (below) is troubling for me because the lady juror is saying she had to apologize several times. JMOO Juror 17 felt threatened or intimidated and probably stated so in her note. Depending on what was said in the notes, more than one juror might have been released had JSS talked to each individually. Having to apologize more than once isn't something that should have happened. I understand they wanted to come to a unanimous decision and it was frustrating. The lady juror said she was pretty much for death upon going into deliberation. #17 was for life going into deliberation. When you are on a jury, what ever your decision should be respected. I don't know if #17 was stealth, or had an agenda, but that is only a problem after the fact. One thing also that is my opinion, asking #17 to tell them what situation would you give death, why would you answer. #17 didn't believe it applied in this trial, why would she have to explain to that extent. I'm not taking up for #17, just looking at both sides. I wasn't there but it is my opinion, from the interview and how JSS said they had a issue that would take more than an hour the deliberations went from bad to worse. JMOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9MUb3-IwCE

But didn't it say somewhere that there was 2 notes from the 11 jurors? I am wondering if she sent a note and let it be interpretted as from the other jurors, like asking for a specific juror for replacement, knowing it would be turned down. Just wondering.

For those who would like to see the latest smuggled JA photo take a look at Juan's Tie twitter page...It really shouldn't be too difficult for Sheriff Arpaio to find out who was with her, it looks like it is from the courthouse..
I just want to reach through that glass and slap the crap out of her. Nice Hershey bar.... and are those post cards?

For me it boils down to the fact that the wouldn't deliberate. I'd have been angry too. After five months of my life and you won't even deliberate? Even the devil would have been frowning at my venom.

you know i get that...angry yep I would have been too...but at the end of the day (and I hate to sound like Bill Clinton) but sort of depends on what you mean by "deliberate"...she probably feels she told them how she feels and that is her deliberation...I'm not saying that is right but for those wanting them to go after her...not so sure anyone can prove what was said behind those doors. I believe the husband said she felt "bullied" or something to that effect...I guarantee you she has her own accounting and someday in the future we will hear it.

I do think something happened that they are not airing it....I however am thinking the issue may not be so much with the investigation (it is no doubt some reason there)

but also they go too far condemning juror 17.....

juror 17 could have recourse against this whole messed up process. Her name is being completely trashed...her home surrounded and who knows what else? Sorry but this has really gone too far...unless there is a smoking "bomb" out there it seems a juror was seated that should not have been and they are probably going to not blame her as much as the prosecution team. Only those clearly reviewing the voir dire are in a position to make these judgments. I have seen this so many times going after someone only to have that person have legal recourse because it went too far. I now this view is not shared with many here but to me it makes sense.

RBBM: From what I have read and watched of the 11 DP Jurors, they were not condemning #17 at all.

The 11 DP and 2 ALT JURORS were telling the TRUTH -- something that JA and her entire defense team lacked, both in and out of the courtroom.

:moo:

So who paid for defense lawyers [Casey]? They were not all pro-bono.

Seems to me, not many people could afford a 3.7M defense. SO, why should state by required to do so? I really think there should be limits. And JA's case proves it.

A huge amount of her remaining fees (over $500k IIRC) was dismissed in her bankruptcy filing. Her attorneys made their coin on the back end of the case if you know what I mean.

I want the answers to that too. I’m not an attorney but based on what I found, I think challenges for cause are granted or denied by the judge.

CHALLENGE FOR CAUSE
a request that a prospective juror be dismissed because there is a specific and forceful reason to believe the person cannot be fair, unbiased or capable of serving as a juror. Causes include acquaintanceship with either of the parties, one of the attorneys or a witness, the potential juror's expression during voir dire (questioning of the prospective jurors) of inability to be unbiased due to prior experience in a similar case (having been convicted of drunk driving, being a battered wife, etc.), any obvious prejudice, or inability to serve (such as being mentally disturbed). The judge determines if the person shall be dismissed. Challenges and dismissal for cause differ from peremptory challenges, which each side may use to dismiss potential jurors without stating any reason.

http://dictionary.law.com/default.aspx?selected=169

CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE AZ

Art. 35.16. REASONS FOR CHALLENGE FOR CAUSE. (a) A challenge for cause is an objection made to a particular juror, alleging some fact which renders the juror incapable or unfit to serve on the jury. A challenge for cause may be made by either the state or the defense ......

Art. 35.21. JUDGE TO DECIDE QUALIFICATIONS. The court is the judge, after proper examination, of the qualifications of a juror, and shall decide all challenges without delay and without argument thereupon.

:seeya: Thank You, SF !

RBBM: The bottom line is this regarding #17:

Did Juan request a challenge for cause -- and IF so, did JSS grant or deny or his request ?

JMO but there is no way that Juan would want a juror with DV background and an ex-husband with a criminal background.

:seeya:

BBM: Exactly -- Beth would NOT have any jurors' names !

- WTH happened during Jury Selection ?

- WTH happened during Voir Dire?

- Whiskey . . .
- Tango . . .
- Foxtrot . . .

:gaah:

I'm sure now BK will be questioned since she shared this publicly.

I'm sure now BK will be questioned since she shared this publicly.

:seeya: Oh yes, good point.

And she should be questioned since she shared this publicly !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member