Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't have clarity on why she made that choice. Not that a sociopath's reasoning ever makes sense. And she won't be able to appeal on it now at all. I just wonder what she was up to...other than exerting what very little control she still had.
I think it's strictly and exclusively to set up an appeal issue. By splitting her will into two - "I want to, but I don't want to" it creates the closest thing possible to genuine legal ambiguity for future review. It's too clever by half. Her problem now is that by being overruled by the COA and then upheld by the ASC the first time, it has already brought a higher authority into the equation, and not on the side of Arias; she was hoping the higher authority would come in much later, and land on her side, too late for that now. The fact that she kept with the same strategy for her allocution means the strategy was extremely important to her, but again the fact that the higher courts have already ruled against her means it's already a lost cause, just not enough for her to give up on completely.

I think it's strictly and exclusively to set up an appeal issue. By splitting her will into two - "I want to, but I don't want to" it creates the closest thing possible to genuine legal ambiguity for future review. It's too clever by half. Her problem now is that by being overruled by the COA and then upheld by the ASC the first time, it has already brought a higher authority into the equation, and not on the side of Arias; she was hoping the higher authority would come in much later, and land on her side, too late for that now. The fact that she kept with the same strategy for her allocution means the strategy was extremely important to her, but again the fact that the higher courts have already ruled against her means it's already a lost cause, just not enough for her to give up on completely.

After further analysis it's a stunning example of manipulation in that it externalizes what is properly only her own internal decision. In externalizing it, it places the burden on others to decide, and gives a chance for them to fall on the side of faulty logic to her advantage. In the end the confusion she sought to create was not substantial enough to obscure the law. It was clever enough to fool JSS, but not so the COA. It was a stunning attempt to exploit any ambiguity in the minds of those forced to make the decision for her, and indicates what she is capable of when it comes to manipulation.

ETA: During her questioning of Arias about her decision not to allocute, JSS asked her if she was on any medication. This question, seemingly out of left field, was extremely smart of JSS to ask. It prevented any future claims by Arias that her decision was based on flawed thinking secondary to the influence of any mind-altering drugs such as antidepressants. It placed the burden of the decision back squarely where it belonged, in Arias' own mind, and put on record that her mind was as clear as possible and not under the influence of anything that Arias could later use to shirk the responsibility for her decision, and therefore demand a second chance with a mind not so influenced. It shows that at least by that time JSS was onto her, and anticipated her further manipulation.

Nurmi asked for thirty days so that Jodi can get her affairs in order, or something close to that. Haha she wont be doing that now.

What could possibly take 30 days for Jodi to "get in order?" Packing up her 100.00 a week commissary stash?

What could possibly take 30 days for Jodi to "get in order?" Packing up her 100.00 a week commissary stash?
possibly collating her final collection of tracings to be handed off to the jailhouse curator MDLR ?

I'm thankful for the extra days, because without them, JSS wouldn't know about the 2 15-yr old girls CMJA had no problem trying to corrupt. This can only be good for a hard sentence.

IMO Jodi was going to use the thirty days video chatting with up to twenty seven each day to get her affairs in order. She was going to use each phone call to solicit money and favors. She wasn't using those chats to talk about the weather. Each one had a purpose. I cannot even begin to think of what she was going to use the two fifteen year olds for, but I believe there was a purpose. Lets say she had twenty chats a day times thirty days and she averaged ten dollar donations for each one thats six thousand dollars if I did my math right. Just an example of the possibility and I think it could be much more.

She had a full social calendar, via non-stop video chat, and to her social interaction means one thing; exploiting others to whatever advantage possible on a case by case basis, and the longer she has to do it the better. Without knowing any of the specifics, the fact that the law allowed for a 30 day delay meant she would take advantage of it. The fact that Arpaio used her overstepping of boundaries to shut her down has got to be hitting her hard.

There is a lot of speculation regarding what PT knew about J17 prior to her selection on the jury but no links have been provided to back up those claims. Please provide links when you are posting as if it is a fact. This is how rumors are started and we want to be clear on this.

Thanks, Lambchop

17 seems to have been a genuine victim of DV, and I doubt very much that either of her felon husbands treated/treat her as a smells good goddess.

The mitigator she seemed most sympathetic to was the one 17 might have interpreted as saying JA was all messed up because she was in a bad relationship and put an absolute end to it.

Maybe she projected her own feelings onto JA and her statements about the DP being revenge were an unconscious way of saying....hey, don't judge ME.

BBM

I agree with this. After reading the interview with the foreman I also believe juror 17 deliberated for awhile before she shut down. However, her life with DV skewed her thought process and there was no way she was going to change her mind. The foreman even said at one point he felt this juror was being attacked because she was the hold out.

She might have been a stealth juror, I don't know. It doesn't matter now because Jodi will get LWOP and never see the light of day.

http://thetrialdiaries.com/exclusivethe-foreman-from-the-jodi-arias-trial-speakshear-his-story/

I'm thankful for the extra days, because without them, JSS wouldn't know about the 2 15-yr old girls CMJA had no problem trying to corrupt. This can only be good for a hard sentence.
JMO--I'd love to hear MDLR's excuses and "mitigation" on that subject. There is no pretty way to explain the despicable act of happily working to corrupt minors.
I agree that this is a huge help with a hard sentence.

Just wanted to add about the juror foreman's interview.

They DID see Jodi's behavior: Whispering to MLDR, Wilmott. Having fun. Smiling. Coloring. No remorse. Also, she did NOT like DeMarte.

YES!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Katie, you don't really think she would do things over again, do you? I am really surprised she didn't do it sooner. Travis just happened to be the one, the unlucky one. This would have happened sooner or later.

I think Matt is very lucky he was gone when Jodi drove two hours to confront him. IMO she wanted to confront him but he wasn't there so she had to settle with talking to Bianca

I watched the clip of her on the stand... only reason I could was because the 13 jurors said they didn't see any remorse and felt her body language didn't at all reflect her words. I wanted to see it for myself. Wasn't disappointed. Definitely the Razzy award for worst acting by a sociopathic "remorseful" unusual person ever. She was worse than her first role. :shame:

Just wanted to add about the juror foreman's interview.

They DID see Jodi's behavior: Whispering to MLDR, Wilmott. Having fun. Smiling. Coloring. No remorse. Also, she did NOT like DeMarte.

YES!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
I'm so impressed that this jury took everything in, including all the obfuscation and distraction of the defense, and came out with such an accurate picture of reality.

I watched the clip of her on the stand... only reason I could was because the 13 jurors said they didn't see any remorse and felt her body language didn't at all reflect her words. I wanted to see it for myself. Wasn't disappointed. Definitely the Razzy award for worst acting by a sociopathic "remorseful" unusual person ever. She was worse than her first role. :shame:
I also read in TrialDiaries Foreman interview that they saw her testimony as 'rehearsed'.
Isn't it something that all the time the def spent on the *advertiser censored*, they said "it's didn't even matter, nor was even discussed", that included J17!! Nurm just had to keep talking about it because it was important to him, since that's what his law practice boasts.

I think it's strictly and exclusively to set up an appeal issue.

It's a moot point now though since the whole reason for allocution was to get the jury to spare her life. Since the jury hung, her life is spared by default, with a life sentence to be handed out from the judge. Thus, this failure to allocute will not be a factor in any appeals.

[video=youtube;wkmqRFsosvE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkmqRFsosvE[/video]

You can tell this was all planned, organized and rehearsed with jodi, the judge and lawyers right before it happened in court, in the sealed chamber meeting. It was so obviously rehearsed, I'm embarrassed for them all. They were in the judges chambers for 30 minutes, then come out and put on this fake show, on the record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member