Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question to ask of anybody who knows more about this legal stuff than I do (which should cover at least 95% of the people in here).

Let's say that on the morning of April 13th, Judge Stephens is having a really bad hair day and Jodi and her defense team are being even more obnoxious and hard to get along with than usual.

We've all heard about the antics going on over at the jail since the non-verdict was announced and even before that. Everyone has discussed it at great lengths.

Here's question 1:

Is it possible for Judge Stephens to add additional stipulations and penalties onto Jodi's life sentence in regards to some of the stunts she has been pulling over the last week and prior ?
( I.E. --- manipulating teenagers, hiding money, fights with inmates, smuggling notes, and mainly causing general disruptions at the jail, etc.)

Second question: Can Judge Stephens order or stipulate to the prison at Perryville any additional penalties or housing requirements revolving around Jodi's never-ending social media campaign ?

Or......Is it just gonna be, "Life in prison--no parole--now get the hell out of here and take your attorneys with you'". ??

I've asked azl about this and the jist i get is imposing additional structure like that is unconstitutional basically. I think the only exception is sex offenders Can have restrictions but that is based on state/federal legislation.

I was going to try to transcribe more of Dr. M-F on the stand because it's hilarious how she never actually answers the questions. I got a little more than this, but honestly, she's driving me nuts, she's even more evasive than ALV. It's ALL like this:
Day 14, 2 of 3, 49:08

JSS: Mr. Martinez.

JM: Ma'am, one of the things that you told us as it applies to the text messages was that it was Mr. Nurmi who told you the time difference, right?

MF: Who indicated...

KN: Wait a minute, this mischaracterizes her testimony, it was the State's witness who provided that testimony.

JSS: Overruled

JM: Didn't you tell us that it was Mr. Nurmi that told you?

MF: It's, Mr. Nurmi had communicated...

KN: I'm gonna object, uh... move, uh. May we approach?

JSS: You may approach.

*sidebar*

JM: Ma'am isn't it true that it was Mr. Nurmi who told you about the time difference? Right?

MF: He's gonna want a yes or no answer to that your honor, and I can't give it to him. That is going to mischaracter-a-zize uh my response. But I would like to answer the question if you'll allow me.

JM: Ma'am, would you testify that you were sitting there, maybe 10 or 15 minutes ago, that it was Mr. Nurmi who gave you the information about the time? Yes or no?

MF: Same response, your honor.

JSS: Alright—

JM: You're saying you have problems with your memory? You can't remember saying that—in this courtroom—about the time difference? Yes or no?

KN: Objection, asked and answered. He's badgering the witness.

JSS: Overruled. You may answer.

MF: Your honor I'm sorry I can't answer either a yes or no, he again is mischaracterizing my response. I would like to respond if I may, if you'll allow me.

JM: No. I want to ask you about what you said in this courtroom earlier, and isn't it true that you said, in this courtroom earlier, with regard to the text messages, that that information, in terms of the time, that information was provided to you by Mr. Nurmi?

KN: I'll need to object again, this is the same question over and over, and over and over again.

JSS: Sustained.

JM: And ma'am, with regard to your testimony here in response to the question from the jury, you also indicated that you based your opinion partly on what was provided by the State to Mr. Nurmi and was then provided to you. Do you remember saying that?

MF: Your honor, that's not a yes or no answer and it misrepresents my response.

JSS: Alright.

JM: Go ahead, then, tell me what you said then, about that? About how the State provided—and specifically, whether it was your information, that the State provided the information—to the defense?

MF: In general, if the prosecuting attorneys get, uh, first landed on the case and get information and give that information to the defense attorney. So when I said that I got most of my information from the defense, that is true. Did it all come from the State? I don't think I said it all came from the State, but I said by and large they

JM: And in fact, with regard to the documents that said "work product" in them, that came from the defense, didn't it?

KN: Objection, this is beyond the scope of any of the juror questions.

JSS: Sustained.

JM: Well ma'am you were telling us of all the information that you were given to review in this case, to form your opinion, didn't you tell us about that?

KN: Objection, this is be-yond the scope of the juror's questions.

JSS: Overruled.

MF: Your honor, that's not a yes or no answer. That would misrepresent my testimony.

JM: How does it misrepresent your testimony, ma'am?

MF: It misrepresents the testimony, Mr. Martinez, because unfortunately my experience here with you has been that you've distorted what I've said.

JM: Obj—

MF: I'd like to finish my answer first!

JM: Judge, objection...

KN: She should be allowed— he asked her how and why, and see if she can answer

JSS: Okay, approach. Please.

JM: Ma'am, as it applies—

KN: I'm going to ask that she be allowed to answer—

JSS: Hold on. Court reporter.

KN: Oh.

JM: As it applies to your opinion, and the documents you based your opinion on, how did the State ever misrepresent—

JW: (Loudly sloshes court water and ice into her cup which is evidently sitting on top of the microphone at the DT's table)

JM: to YOU what documents were ever turned over to the defense?

KN: I'm going to object that mischaracterizes her testimony, yet again, and we also have the issue that she has not been allowed to answer the previous question.

JSS: Mr. Martinez?

JM: She's not going to answer my question.

JSS: Alright. Overruled. You may answer.

KN: What? Alright, well, I'm going to object just on the grounds that it misrepresents her testimony. She didn't say any of this.

JSS: Overruled. You may answer.

MF: (Mumbles) I'll just say what I said, I didn't say any of the things that you're stating so far.

JM: I did not hear you.

MF: (Yells) I DID NOT SAY THE THINGS that you're stating that I stated so far.

JM: You did indicate, you started to say something about misrepresentation by the State. My question to you is, what about the turning over of documents to the defense by the State, and the documents that you considered, how did the State misrepresent that?

KN: Objection, it mischaracterizes her testimony. She didn't even make that comment.

JSS: Overruled, you may answer.

MF: I didn't make that comment. I didn't make that statement and again, this is what I'm talking about in terms of misrepresenting what I stated. (Gesturing and leaning toward the jury) You need to trust your experts and attorneys and!

JM: Objection, the witness... (MF keeps talking over Juan's objection.)

JSS: Sus-tained! Next question.

--
It goes on and on like this. Her answer is a non-answer, every last time.
There is a nice highlight later where KN asks to approach and JSS says NO and he stops about halfway to the bench in total shock.
--

KN: Objection, asked and answered, badgering

MF: So you...

JSS: Overruled, you may answer

MF: So again this is another example of what I'm talking about in terms of misrepresenting. Um, I didn't say that, (gestures and leans toward jury) what you folks are hearing, you heard what I have to say. I am confused about the sequencing and what was asked and answered. Because when she was first interviewed it was by the first defense counsel team. Um, and, in, other interviews subsequent to that. I don't remember. I'm sorry. I wish I did. Truly. I wish I did. But I don't remember.

JM: The first interview—

KN: May we approach, your honor?

JSS: No.

JM: —by the first defense counsel team: what do you remember about Miss Reid saying about Mr. Alexander and whether or not he had sex with other women?

MF: (silence)

MF: My answer's not going to change, folks. Sorry.

JM: I'm sorry, I didn't hear what you said.

MF: (loudly) I said my answer is not going to change, that I had difficulty remembering exactly the sequence of A, B, and C. You can continue asking that, in the badgering way that your asking, I'm not sure that's going to make me remember more. Perhaps that's your style. All right. But I've already answered that on more. Than one. Occasion. I'm sorry.

JM: You answered it for defense counsel. I want you to answer it for me. My question is: what do you remember, from that first interview, about Miss Reid saying about Mr. Alexander and whether or not he had sex with other women?

KN: Objection, mischaracterizes her testimony and her answers to my questions. And again, it's asked and answered.

JSS: Overruled, you may answer.

MF: I feel like I can't, your honor, I feel like I've already answered.

JSS: All right.

Yes, he did. I was in a hearing without the jury present but Dr. F would have had access to that tape.

Ok, did not realize that they could bring up stuff from hearings. But, after listening how this penalty went down, the disrespect shown Juan by the defense and the tone of voice by JSS, is just too much.

And Ms F said it was Juan that went down slime alley...just can't listen to this and stay sane.

Speaking of azl.. AZL i foresee a judicial opening in 2016. Have you considered running? You are so well versed on case law you'd make an excellent judge

I was going to try to transcribe more of Dr. M-F on the stand because it's hilarious how she never actually answers the questions. I got a little more than this, but honestly, she's driving me nuts, she's even more evasive than ALV. It's ALL like this:

Really, it seemed the testimony she gave was all about ATTACKING and berating Juan Martinez, just ch** crazy for this to go down in a court of law...IMO.

Speaking of azl.. AZL i foresee a judicial opening in 2016. Have you considered running? You are so well versed on case law you'd make an excellent judge

I'm considering making a run for judge in 2016. I don't know anything about the law and haven't been to law school or anything, but I'm pretty sure I could do as good of a job running the courtroom as what I've seen in the Arias trial.

I have approved this message and appreciate your vote---- Steelman for Superior Court Judge--2016

Thank you for all of that hard work! These videos drive me crazy, too! In fact, it makes me feel sorry for the jury in that they couldn't just turn off the video; they had to sit there day after day and listen to this drivel without saying a word. That would have been hard!!! There is no excuse for JSS to let the court deteriorate to that horrible, horrible environment. She should have put a stop to this nonsense.
:moo:

I'm considering making a run for judge in 2016. I don't know anything about the law and haven't been to law school or anything, but I'm pretty sure I could do as good of a job running the courtroom as what I've seen in the Arias trial.

I have approved this message and appreciate your vote---- Steelman for Superior Court Judge--2016

You stayed at a holiday inn, yes? Lol.
I continue to search on the judicial website for stephens misconduct or complaints. So far, none have been made that I've seen.

I've asked azl about this and the jist i get is imposing additional structure like that is unconstitutional basically. I think the only exception is sex offenders Can have restrictions but that is based on state/federal legislation.

Bummer....I thought sentencing day might be a little bit more exciting.

Something along the lines of:

"Jodi, you will serve a life sentence for killing Travis. You are also to serve (____) number of years simply for being a %##%#."

(As the courtroom breaks out in applause)

Oh yes, I like that too, Judge AZL.....wow. I bet AZL like her/his current position....but we can dream!

Thank you for all of that hard work! These videos drive me crazy, too! In fact, it makes me feel sorry for the jury in that they couldn't just turn off the video; they had to sit there day after day and listen to this drivel without saying a word. That would have been hard!!! There is no excuse for JSS to let the court deteriorate to that horrible, horrible environment. She should have put a stop to this nonsense.
:moo:

ITA!

I think a thorough auditing investigation should be done concerning the financial hours KN&JW have attached to this case. I think once they learned how easy it was for them to manipulate JSS they also may have manipulated the hours they both really invested in this case.

IMO, JSS is the main cause of why this defense team was paid this exorbitant amount of money. Its like she pulled the fat cash cow right into the courtroom and told the DT to milk it for all its worth and they did. I wouldn't be surprised if either one of them fudged on the hours they really put into this case.

They really did very little investigation. They didn't even have to bring in the witnesses that refused to testify. So there was no expense for any lay witnesses coming in to testify in JAs behalf except for the two hired guns.

So how in the world could they say they put in that many hours to equal over 3 million dollars? Something seems very suspect and fishy about that.

I think the foregon conclusion and jms theory is she cut her tendons in that finger as she was stabbing him the blood caused her hand to slip down onto the blade cutting the nerves and tendons.

Btw my brother had cut from the wrist all the way up to his index finger from putting his hand through a windshield in a vehicle accident. He had the surgery to repair that day and another surgical repair 6 months post. He still cannot move his index finger and has little feeling in it. Nerve/tendons damage due to cuts are serious and would absolutely result in a crooked finger.

Okay, that makes sense, it looked like a broken bone to me. Obviously she wouldn't have it treated by a doctor if it happened during the course of a murder.

In the first trial, I kept waiting for Juan to drop the bomb on her and point-blank ask her if Travis wasn't the one that broke her finger while he was attempting to defend himself. He never asked her that question though, and it always confused me why he didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member