UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, York University, 18 March 2009 - Chef - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It leads to a short residential street with 10 or so small houses (mainly terraced). It appears to have signs indicating residents only parking in some parts of the street.

Here is the spot on google maps

heworth.PNG

Limes Court (the paler roofed buildings) is student housing, belonging to University Of St John. I think that may complicate things, most who lived there in 2009 will be long gone. (I used to live just around the corner on Heworth Green)

And to answer an earlier Q, no there are no shops back there, just residencies.

Here is the spot on google maps

View attachment 71443

Limes Court (the paler roofed buildings) is student housing, belonging to University Of St John. I think that may complicate things, most who lived there in 2009 will be long gone. (I used to live just around the corner on Heworth Green)

And to answer an earlier Q, no there are no shops back there, just residencies.
If you look on Google Streetview you can see that the back of the student accomodation faces onto Heworth Place. Hard to see if there is access from the back. So that leaves the small terrace and two houses at the end of Heworth Place that have proper access from that street.

Realistically, he couldn't have done anything in 1 min 8 seconds. It does appear as if he looks back as he turns the corner though. Could be nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree this is probably because of the new focus on what happened the previous evening .

What really caught my attention is how similar the man captured in this clip (here) is to the one in the clip release in 2009 (here) showing a man walking the same route the following morning. Although the quality is fairly poor you can see he is similar in height, build and in the way he walks – even the clothes he is wearing look similar.

The man in the original clip was identified ‘almost certainly’ as one Richard Cartwright who owned two properties in Heworth Place which he was renovating so he could let them out. His presence was later explained by him checking on the security of the properties. Cartwright died suddenly just three weeks later (reportedly of a heart attack). When his name came into the investigation his main residence (round the corner in East Parade) was searched and some samples from the PM were sent for toxicology tests. However it appeared the police lost interest in him fairly quickly and it seems he was effectively eliminated from the enquiry (although they never said why).

Because of this and other coincidences I have always seen him as a ‘person of interest’ in the case, especially since the new concentration on the alleyway that ran to the back of his properties.

Having said that it would not be surprising he would be seen collecting something from one of his properties the evening before. The only odd thing is the way the man stops dead when he sees the other man passing – maybe he was in the habit of keeping his distance from other pedestrians.
Interesting as I thought the same. Also interesting that on the latest clip the person disappears for just over a minute, roughly the same amount of time the person in the original clip disappears for.

Where in 1 minute could someone have collected a bag from as per the latest clip? If it was a nearby property surely with all the "hello,goodbye" conversation people normally have it would take more than a minute?

Has this man ever been identified?

http://www.yorkmix.com/news/crime/c...ance-police-reveal-fresh-clues-five-years-on/

"This is a CCTV still of a man in the Co-Op, Tang Hall, on April 1, 2009. He told staff in the store that he knew Claudia but he has never been traced.

Described as black, aged in his late 20s and around 5ft 8ins tall, he spoke with an African accent. If anyone can help identify him, they are urged to contact police."

Interesting as I thought the same. Also interesting that on the latest clip the person disappears for just over a minute, roughly the same amount of time the person in the original clip disappears for.

Where in 1 minute could someone have collected a bag from as per the latest clip? If it was a nearby property surely with all the "hello,goodbye" conversation people normally have it would take more than a minute?

If he is the man Hydraman suggests, then he most likely picked it up from one of his own houses. If he'd left a bag in the hallway, it would only take a few moments to open the door, pick up the bag, close the door and lock it again.

I agree this is probably because of the new focus on what happened the previous evening .

What really caught my attention is how similar the man captured in this clip (here) is to the one in the clip release in 2009 (here) showing a man walking the same route the following morning. Although the quality is fairly poor you can see he is similar in height, build and in the way he walks – even the clothes he is wearing look similar.

The man in the original clip was identified ‘almost certainly’ as one Richard Cartwright who owned two properties in Heworth Place which he was renovating so he could let them out. His presence was later explained by him checking on the security of the properties. Cartwright died suddenly just three weeks later (reportedly of a heart attack). When his name came into the investigation his main residence (round the corner in East Parade) was searched and some samples from the PM were sent for toxicology tests. However it appeared the police lost interest in him fairly quickly and it seems he was effectively eliminated from the enquiry (although they never said why).

Because of this and other coincidences I have always seen him as a ‘person of interest’ in the case, especially since the new concentration on the alleyway that ran to the back of his properties.

Having said that it would not be surprising he would be seen collecting something from one of his properties the evening before. The only odd thing is the way the man stops dead when he sees the other man passing – maybe he was in the habit of keeping his distance from other pedestrians.

Thanks for posting the two clips.

My observations FWIW are that the recent CCTV footage is of a man and that it's not the same man as the earlier footage. I see them as walking in different ways although obviously I accept it's hard to be sure. I think the nighttime man pauses because of the person with the light coloured coat, he doesn't appear to check his pockets or give any other sign that he looking for keys or whatever. To me it looks like a definite pause just to allow the other person to pass by.

This is necessarily suspicious though, some people might not want to walk close to someone else or if the dark figure is actually a woman she may not have wanted to walk near an unknown man.

I really wish this footage had been released 6 years ago, I'm pretty sure someone would have recognised the figures

JMO

If he is the man Hydraman suggests, then he most likely picked it up from one of his own houses. If he'd left a bag in the hallway, it would only take a few moments to open the door, pick up the bag, close the door and lock it again.
Possibly but just over a minute? It is probably completely irrelevant but the timing niggles me

To me it looks like a definite pause just to allow the other person to pass by.

This is necessarily suspicious though, some people might not want to walk close to someone else or if the dark figure is actually a woman she may not have wanted to walk near an unknown man.

Yes, I think it's entirely natural for anyone, whether man or woman, to prefer to be walking behind a stranger at night, so that you have them in view, rather than have them behind you.

Possibly but just over a minute? It is probably completely irrelevant but the timing niggles me

In what way?

The fact that in both cctv clips released by police (whether they are the same person or not) they both disappear for around a minute. Like I say, probably completely irrelevant but what are the chances??

If he's the owner of an unoccupied house in that street, it makes sense to me that he'd make a habit of doing a quick visual check that all was well, if he was passing nearby.

Or maybe he thought he'd left the lights on, something like that.

Saying that - whoever it is, it could be that they were going to drop in on someone in that street, but finding their house is in darkness, go away again.

If he is local to the area he could easily have recognised the person in white jacket and wanted to avoid them for a plethora of reasons. That or the stop to check theory (keys, phone, wallet).

I agree except personally I would perhaps just slow my pace rather just stop dead, but I suppose everyone does things differently.

Apparently Cartwright was well known and respected in the Heworth area (and a large number of them attended his funeral according to reports). So by reputation alone he would seem to be an unlikely suspect.

Yes, that is what I had assumed - he does not seem to have the bag as he enters the street.

That also puzzled me. In the original clip he is only out of site for 50 seconds which is seems hardly enough time to do a proper security check, let alone enter either of the houses.

My observations FWIW are that the recent CCTV footage is of a man and that it's not the same man as the earlier footage.

Fair enough - I would guess the police are also unsure hence the new appeal to see if anyone can confirm the man's indentity

Way out there idea but could the alleyway have been used for criminal purposes i.e a drop off/collection point for drugs or similar?

In the original clip he is only out of site for 50 seconds which is seems hardly enough time to do a proper security check, let alone enter either of the houses.

Oh no, for a thorough check you would want to go around the back as that is where a break-in would be most likely.
But if he was passing nearby for another purpose - going to or from the pub or a corner shop for example - he might just nip down there to check that nobody had heaved a brick through the window or kicked the front door in.
But as I said, it could also be someone going to call on one of the other residents and seeing that their lights were out.

Way out there idea but could the alleyway have been used for criminal purposes i.e a drop off/collection point for drugs or similar?

That would be my guess.
Also possibly a store/pub or other business cash pickup and deposit.

Link to new Daily Mail article

"A man in his fifties has today been arrested on suspicion of the murder of missing chef Claudia Lawrence.
North Yorkshire Police are believed to be searching the suspect's home in York, which will continue for several days, the force said.

But detectives said they have not found Claudia's body, who vanished on Thursday March 19 2009.
It came days after police released new CCTV footage which shows two people walking near her home on the evening she vanished six years ago.

MailOnline understands that man's arrest came as a result of that appeal.

Detective Superintendent Dai Malyn, head of North Yorkshire Police's Major Crime Unit and the senior investigating officer in the Claudia Lawrence inquiry, said: 'To ensure the investigation and legal process are not compromised or potentially damaged in any way during this critical phase in seeking the truth about Claudia's disappearance, North Yorkshire Police strongly advises the media and members of the public against identifying the man who has been arrested.

'This includes naming or publishing images of the man on traditional media platforms or social networking sites.

'I urge everyone to show restraint and patience while we carry out these very important enquiries.'"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...on-murder-Claudia-Lawrence.html#ixzz3VDeqQIxn
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

BREAKING NEWS: CLAUDIA LAWRENCE: Man arrested on suspicion of murder

DETECTIVES investigating the diappearance and suspected murder of Claudia Lawrence have arrested a man today.

The man, aged in his fifties and from the York area, was arrested earlier today, and searches are currently taking place in connection with the investigation.

North Yorkshire Police said Claudia has not been found, and the searches were expected to last for a number of days.

Trying not to get too excited and wary of the last 2 arrests. I am however hoping to find out where the searches are taking place

NorthYorkshirePolice ‏@NYorksPolice 40m40 minutes ago
Claudia Lawrence murder arrest - Det Supt Malyn: urge everyone to show restraint & patience while we carry out very important enquiries.

NorthYorkshirePolice @NYorksPolice · 43m 43 minutes ago
Claudia Lawrence murder arrest - Det Supt Malyn: this includes naming / publishing images of the man on social media: http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/15195

https://twitter.com/NYorksPolice

Claudia's family have been notified about the arrest and are being supported by trained officers.

Detective Superintendent Dai Malyn, head of North Yorkshire Police's Major Crime Unit and the senior investigating officer in the Claudia Lawrence inquiry, said: "To ensure the investigation and legal process are not compromised or potentially damaged in any way during this critical phase in seeking the truth about Claudia's disappearance, North Yorkshire Police strongly advises the media and members of the public against identifying the man who has been arrested.

"This includes naming or publishing images of the man on traditional media platforms or social networking sites.

"I urge everyone to show restraint and patience while we carry out these very important enquiries."

http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/15195

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member