NV NV - Wellington, WhtMale 574UMNV, 35-50, off Sand Canyon Road, Mar'92 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can now say that is the I-emer-effin-dentical print. IMO but probably fact.

Edited after posting it to say that this little snip of picture isn't actually the part I need to make the comparison. I'm going to go back and grab the full size and work with it to show the matching points.

tshirtcompare.jpg

You don't need to do a side by side. It was determined this is the identical work of art. The right side tail feathers are a perfect match. Look at them closely. You'll need to grab another photo of the image from the backpack because that one is cutting off the tail feathers at the top of the tail for you to compare all of the feathers that are in the best condition in the detectives' photo.

actually I can't find the larger images of hte whole design but it's the same anyway. Today is the day before tax day so I guess I now what I have to spend my day doing, and it's not this. :(

You don't need to do a side by side. It was determined this is the identical work of art. The right side tail feathers are a perfect match. Look at them closely. You'll need to grab another photo of the image from the backpack because that one is cutting off the tail feathers at the top of the tail for you to compare all of the feathers that are in the best condition in the detectives' photo.

Yes, it is the identical one. But someone had asked for a side by side and never got one so I was obliging. Glad we're all on the same page. :)

There is a James Kitson, known as Strange de Jim, his obituary here states:
All fun aside, a man must make a living, and so Jim invented, single-handed, the eco-tee-shirt business, with hand-drawn images of endangered species, often featuring his totem -- the hawk. The business flourished so well it ended as creative-centered businesses often do, by someone stealing his ideas via the Xerox machine and underselling the product. When a Singapore-based conglomerate stole his idea "I Got Crabs at Fisherman's Wharf", he closed up shop.

Here:http://www.island-life.net/back_issues/ISLANDLIFE2009b.htm

Mornin!

BTW, general comment: The artist's surname appears to begin with Kh IMO. I'm not convinced it is "Jim" either. But perhaps.
I don't think it's Kh, but I agree it's not definitively "Jim." It's possibly Sam when I turned my laptop screen sideways so I'm looking at it straight on, enlarged at 800%. I can't wait to use the other computer because I think it has a better screen than my laptop.

Here is another example of Jim Kitson's work: https://www.etsy.com/listing/189843858/upcycled-vintage-tshirt-totebag
It looks like this is the same artist doesn't it!

And the same way of doing the signature. This one is much more clear but I think/am willing to bet you got it. Well done!

attachment.php
il_570xN.603329111_ji9r.jpg

You posted that while I was typing what I typed. It's funny that whatever name we see, there's an artist attached to the name.

This guy's art looks more similar. Send him and email along with the link a link to the backpack and ask him. Send him a link that isn't to the Etsy website. Withhold some information, like the name of the backpack company. I fear we might have people saying yes who aren't.

I don't think the guy looks 60 years old. To be 60 now, our 1975 artist would have to have been 20 years old. It's possible our artist was older. But it's worth a shot. The other problem I have with this guy is he isn't signing the artwork on his t-shirts. I see no signature.

Send to who? Jim Kitson is dead.

And the same way of doing the signature. This one is much more clear but I think you got it. Well done!
Thank you, if it's not the same artist i'll eat my hat! :crazy:

Send to who? Jim Kitson is dead.
I just deleted that because I realized we were talking about a dead artist and that etsy seller was selling the vintage t-shirts. I think you may have found the guy based on the writeup in his obituary and his being in San Fran. But why didn't he sign these other t-shirts?

I just deleted that because I realized we were talking about a dead artist and that etsy seller was selling the vintage t-shirts. I think you may have found the guy based on the writeup in his obituary and his being in San Fran. But why didn't he sign these other t-shirts?

Which other t-shirts? The only one I found (the raccoon one) has a clear signature.

EDIT: do you mean the fragment found with the deceased? I wonder if it was a version made by another company, in the first link I provided it said he stopped making them when cheap versions were being made by other companies.

Its on the fragment from the deceased I bet. Problem is, that fragment is missing if you look closely and compare the side by sides I didn't need to post. ;)

Anyway, so the shirt is a Jim Kitson Hawk print circa 1975, at the relative beginning of his eco-tee business, and he was based in California. His wife still is alive, and mmarty and/or lcos can now contact her to see what tshirt company and/or other places he worked with and especially WHERE HE SOLD THIS TEE. It's been a great 24 hours!

ETA: in one of my next few posts I find that he also owned a business called Hawk Enterprises, so am including that info here. Also his wife's name, etc is further down. Susan Laing. She works with felt/is a "felter". Jim did most of his later work with metal so people doing further searches might need to focus on that aspect.

I think you found the artist, LadyN! :D

Not only did he do eco t-shirts with wildlife, he and Mark Pack Works were basically located in the same metropolitan area.

"On the other end of the Island Susan Laing, felt textiles, has partnered with Margo White, illustration for an interesting visit. Lain works in her garage which still has tools and natural history reminders left behind by her late husband Jim Kitson, graphic designer."

http://www.island-life.net/back_issues/ISLANDLIFE2013a.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member