AZ - Marano LEO Michael "Robocop" Rapiejko disarms gunman with his police cruiser

While I agree this armed and out of control person had to be stopped, and soon, not sure 'Robo-I wanna be a youtube star-cop' got it right. Equally unsure why his superiors would release this video of the incident - this maneuver comes straight from some training manual? Encouraging other cops to do the same thing?

How much to repair the vehicle(s) and wall?

While I agree this armed and out of control person had to be stopped, and soon, not sure 'Robo-I wanna be a youtube star-cop' got it right. Equally unsure why his superiors would release this video of the incident - this maneuver comes straight from some training manual? Encouraging other cops to do the same thing?

How much to repair the vehicle(s) and wall?

I gotta say watching this man walk down the street with a loaded gun and shooting it, is scary. Who knows what his plan was? He was certainly not afraid to threaten people by shooting it.
Do I think that the ramming is justified? I don't know. He has a loaded gun he could turn and point at the officers easily. He already shot it. He has already committed a crime. If he was in my neighborhood, I would want him taken down fast.
As ugly as this is, He is still alive and can face charges.

I think I am okay with it. UGLY to watch, but I think I would rather that, then them draw their guns and get into a fight on the street or have this guy take someone hostage.
I just don't think I have a problem with how they handled it. I just am not sure how this ends better if they draw down on him and order him to put the weapon down.

If the gunman had continued on and killed people everyone would be asking why the cops did nothing. This man had a rifle, had already committed crimes that day, and fired at least one shot into the air. He needed to be stopped before he killed someone. While this was an unusual way to stop him it got the job done.

We need to allow police to do their job! PROTECT and serve. As for the cost of repairs, small price to pay compared to the lives that man could have taken.

My thoughts.

1. The police news conference on this made me sick. The blue line crap gets old. We all know that all the cops stick together. Just another one sided police news conference defending a cop right or wrong.

2. I don't think the cop is a hero, the way he is being portrayed. I think he is more of a yahoo. He almost killed himself. If you look at the video, and the concrete blocks slashing into the windshield, after he hit the wall. One of those could have hit him right in the face. Not a smart move.

3. The property damage is a bit more then I would like to see. He totally demolished that cruiser and destroyed a private wall. I wouldn't mind seeing some property damage in a case like that, but that's over $50,000 in damage there. Thats a bit high, I think.

4. The use of force, was pretty reasonable I think, for the situation. I don't know if the guy was planning to go on a mass-killing spree, or was just trying for suicide by cop, but he had to be stopped, and the cop stopped him pretty effectively. I will give him that. It probably did saved the guy's life too. If they didn't hit him with the car, they would have pumped him full of bullets. Which would have probably have been fatal.

So I don't think it was the smartest thing the cop could have done, but it did work pretty well, and it was not an unreasonable response. Given the situation. He could have probably have hit the guy a little slower, and did less damage though.

WS is a pro-LE website right?

Geesh.

I thought it was a "Crime Sleuthing Community", a place to analyze and discuss crimes. I didn't know it was supposed to be a pro-LE website. Isn't that what policeone.com is for?

I thought it was a "Crime Sleuthing Community", a place to analyze and discuss crimes. I didn't know it was supposed to be a pro-LE website. Isn't that what policeone.com is for?

Yeah, WS is a place to analyze and discuss crimes. The cop didn't commit one.

Just FYI, It has been stated here for years and years that WS is pro-LE and bashing LE won't be tolerated. No need for the name calling and blatant lies and insults wrt LE to be posted here, IMO.

www.cbsnews.com/news/is-ramming-an-armed-suspect-with-a-police-car-right/

Valencia's attorney, Michelle Cohen-Metzger, says her client was "in crisis" on February 19th.

Maybe Valencia could be sentenced to house arrest at his atty.'s (Metzger) residence ?
Seriously, what a job defense attorneys' have ! I could not do it.
The theft at the WalMart wasn't Valencia's only offense. He also robbed a 7-11 convenience store and broke into a church, as well as breaking and entering a private residence.
He needs to be locked up for good !

https://gma.yahoo.com/watch-arizona...bc-news-topstories.html?bcmt=comments-postbox

Mario Valencia's February 19 alleged spree included robbing a 7-11, breaking into a church and committing arson, invading a home and stealing a car, the Marana Police Department said. He then allegedly stole a rifle and ammunition from Walmart and fired the gun not far from the store, according to police.

:moo:

I think the police officer deserves a medal for risking his own life in taking down a criminal. We do not know how many other lives his quick thinking may have saved. There were two businesses with people inside within steps of where the "in crisis" criminal with a loaded weapon was standing.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of seeing all the wailing around for these CRIMINALS.

Unable to identify any posts wailing for this criminal or posts with any blatant lies. 100% agreement he had to be stopped seems easy to identify imo.

Less speed, less damage, seems like a reasonable alternative suggestion to what happened. Jmo.

Sure, less speed. Let's give the perp a chance to react and shoot the LEO. :scared:

Police descended on the 36-year-old Valencia after he allegedly stole a rifle and box of ammunition from a Tucson Walmart at 9 a.m. Feb. 19. It was part of a rampage that began with Valencia's robbery — wearing only underwear — at a 7-Eleven, then breaking into a church and setting it on fire followed by a home invasion and then boosting a car, Marana police said.

Valencia, rifle in hand and at times pointing the barrel under his own chin, can be seen walking down an empty street with a police cruiser following at a distance, its dashcam recording the man firing off a shot into the air.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...nman-ramming-police-cruiser-article-1.2185534

This police officer is a hero, and deserves a medal. Unquestionably, his actions saved innocent lives, including the life of the perp-- who would have certainly ended up shot to death by LE. (Though I wouldn't shed any tears if LE had needed to shoot him to stop him-- would be just fine with that, and want LE to do exactly that in these circumstances, if they have to.) The perp is discharged from the hospital and booked into jail with multiple felony charges.

I can't agree at all with the perp's attorney that the use of force was excessive (good grief, how absurd!)-- I'm actually surprised the perp came out of this alive at all. He's definitely looking at a loooooong prison sentence.

I hope law abiding citizens in that area will rest easier, knowing they have such dedicated LEOs assertively protecting them from these kinds of dangerous, violent, and impulsive criminals.

Sure, less speed. Let's give the perp a chance to react and shoot the LEO. :scared:

I was thinking less speed so he didn't crash through the wall. Before you jump on the police are always right bandwagon, ask yourself this. Do really believe that crashing a car through a brick wall at high speed is a rational thing to do? Think about it, a bit.

0QAPO0t.jpg

MRs8W2i.jpg

kGqddR7.jpg

Fwiw, a bullet would have been an appropriate response imo, since he was not only holding a rifle but had also fired it. No way to get close enough with a taser.

The destruction of taxpayer and and private property seems inappropriate imo.

My understanding is the officer felt businesses were too close to risk engaging in gunfire with the possibility a stray bullet would strike a bystander. I think the officer did an outstanding job of disarming apprehending and preventing death of the perp - himself or others. (My comma key isn't working lol)

Aside from the right or wrong argument, I can't believe the perp wasn't killed by that impact!

And if the LEO's had shot him (and especially if shot in the back), there would be people crying out that he was shot unfairly for "just walking down the street!" He was on his way to target practice carrying his rifle, after donating blood and a kidney, and tutoring the homeless, and was just shot for NO REASON. Activists would start rioting and burning the city down. The dead perp would be a hero and martyr for some kind of "I'm unemployed, bored with life, and mad about everything" cause. The President would make remarks about his death, and send dignitaries to his funeral.

Or, if they shoot the guy in the back from the safe distance and protection of their squad car, they have a dead perp, the bullet/s were cheap, and we don't have to try, convict, and house this criminal in the state pen for the next 30+ years. The squad car isn't demolished, and no property damage. No hospital bill for the perp, either. Is that how police should have handled this?? Just roll down the window and shoot? I don't think that's the right answer, either.

And if the LEO's had shot him (and especially if shot in the back), there would be people crying out that he was shot unfairly for "just walking down the street!" He was on his way to target practice carrying his rifle, after donating blood and a kidney, and tutoring the homeless, and was just shot for NO REASON. Activists would start rioting and burning the city down. The dead perp would be a hero and martyr for some kind of "I'm unemployed, bored with life, and mad about everything" cause. The President would make remarks about his death, and send dignitaries to his funeral.

Very much doubt you could find any posts to back this scenario up, given the circumstances. Jmo.

Or, if they shoot the guy in the back from the safe distance and protection of their squad car, they have a dead perp, the bullet/s were cheap, and we don't have to try, convict, and house this criminal in the state pen for the next 30+ years. The squad car isn't demolished, and no property damage. No hospital bill for the perp, either. Is that how police should have handled this?? Just roll down the window and shoot? I don't think that's the right answer, either.

Imo, people sometimes don't see agreement when they have it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back