Powdered alcohol creator tries to get ahead of state bans

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Powdered alcohol creator to states: Understand my product before you ban it
0b0f04d711eed511730f6a706700292c_original.jpg

The creator of powdered alcohol, Mark Phillips
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) -- The creator of powdered alcohol is furiously trying to fend off efforts to ban the product in Maine and across the country before it even hits stores.

After winning federal approval last month, Palcohol founder Mark Phillips is preparing to soon begin selling the powder, which makes vodka and rum drinks or cocktails when mixed with water.

But first, Phillips must convince skeptical lawmakers from Hawaii to Maine, who are working frantically to keep powdered alcohol off limits.

"We're all trying to get our laws in place before it hits the shelves, and he wants to get it on the shelves as quickly as possible to demonstrate that it's not a problem," said Maine Rep. Mick Devin, a Democrat who introduced a bill to ban powdered alcohol after Palcohol's labels gained approval from the federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau last month.

Six states have already outlawed it, and lawmakers in about 30 other states have introduced similar bills this year, saying they fear the product will make it easier for minors to abuse booze.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/powdered-alcohol-creator-tries-ahead-053321481.html
palcohol-powdered-alcohol.png

I hate to break it to him, but it will be a nightmare for those in the entertainment industry. How do you keep minors from getting drunk during concerts or sporting events if they can bring in a small packet to add to their water bottle once inside?

Or school dances? Or football games. ugh. It will cause a lot of problems. imo

I buy those Crystal Light packets for my water. Might have to switch things up. It would sure make work more fun.

I'm not sure where I stand on this?

Also, I wonder what they smell like...before being added to water and after.

I'm not sure where I stand on this?

Also, I wonder what they smell like...before being added to water and after.

I really would like to try one to see if they actually taste good.

As for the underaged drinking thing, we didn't have Palcohol when I was a teen but we still managed to sneak in alcohol to events. Ziplock bags of Jim Beam in our waistbands. Then buy a Coke and take out your baggie.

If kids want to sneak in booze, they will find a way.

Also, I hate paying $12 for a tiny plastic cup of wine when I go to a concert or event. I rather like theidea of Palcohol. That is, if they don't taste awful.

I don't know where I stand on this, either. My first thought was that it's basically targeting folks who just want to get hammered. Definitely not about enjoying good quality alcohol or a nice drink.

This is quite an interesting product, with much potential in pharmaceutical and industrial applications, in addition to beverage ethanol. Could also have uses as a fuel source or fuel additive, although probably very expensive for that. Beverage ethanol probably has the greatest potential for profits, but the patchwork of political opposition will likely prevent it from taking off as a new product. The company is privately held, and not licensing any distributors at this time. I'm going to predict that the inventor of this method will end up taking it outside the U.S. for manufacture and sale, due to our draconian laws and attitudes.

From what I've read, different groups have been experimenting with making alcohol powders since the 70s and 80s. This guy actually brought it to the brink of marketing, and achieved FDA approval, label approval, etc. That's impressive on its own, IMO!

From what I can tell, it has little potential for serious abuse due to the sheer volume of powder required for only one ounce of alcohol-- a half cup of powder. That's too much to snort or spike a drink with. And apparently the micro encapsulation manufacturing method would make snorting it exquisitely painful for the snorter.

Apparently, the inventor thinks regular cocktails with liquid alcohol taste much better! He is primarily wanting to market it as a boutique novelty product, as well as a convenience item for things like backpacking and camping.

I think it's a really cool method of manufacturing the micro encapsulation process! Like some of our anesthesia drugs. Presumably methanol could also be manufactured using this process, so more potential for industrial applications.

I'd be curious to taste it! Wonder if it will ever come in a nice dry Chardonnay, lol!? Prolly not. All the wonderful aromatics and nuances wouldn't be there. Just the harsh buzzy alcohol. ;)

Way cool product!

I would be very concerned for alcohol poisoning. No limit to how many packets you could add to one glass. Sounds hazardous to me...

I would be very concerned for alcohol poisoning. No limit to how many packets you could add to one glass. Sounds hazardous to me...

I would imagine the taste would be really awful and hard to drink if you added more than one packet per.

Along this line, it apparently doesn't dissolve particularly easily. Different sources list "vigorous stirring for a minute or more", to disrupt the microencapsulation to suspension. So, not easy to spike a drink unknowingly. And I suspect if you tried to concentrate several packets in a smaller quantity of liquid, they wouldn't dissolve. It's not like crystal light powder, it seems. Much easier to overdose on high proof liquid beverage alcohol.

Remember-- the product here is 1/2 cup of powder = one mixed drink of one ounce of alcohol.

I know where I stand on this . I say No and here is why. I have already read of people snorting this stuff . It cause BIGTIME problems. To easy to sneak in like someone else said . And I hate to think what else other stupid stuff people will try with this .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wasn't thinking of responsible drinking when I posted you could get sick using multiple packets. I guess I had teenaged binge drinking in my mind. But you guys make valid points.

I don't use alcohol at all, so this is something I would never use or need. I think it's kind of a crazy idea to begin with.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back