Girl who battled cancer is dismissed for missing school

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Rose McGrath
screen-shot-2015-04-24-at-11-24-21-am.png

A 12-year-old Michigan girl who just made it through the biggest fight of her life has been dealt another blow.

In August 2012, Rose McGrath, of Battle Creek, was diagnosed with leukemia.

But last week, her family received a letter from her school that would turn her world upside down.

As CBS affiliate WWMT reports, the letter addressed concerns regarding Rose's attendance and academic performance, and stated that Rose had been dismissed from St. Joseph Middle School.

"I didn't do anything wrong, but they still got rid of me," Rose said. Rose has been with the Battle Creek Area Catholic Schools all her life, but attending school got difficult when she was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in 2012.

"Even though she's now done with her treatment you still have a very long recovery process because you've basically just put two and a half years of poison into your body. You're not recovering overnight," said Rose's mother, Barbara McGrath.

The McGraths say despite all of the obstacles, Rose was on track to pass her core classes.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/girl-who-battled-cancer-is-dismissed-for-missing-school/

The articles say Rose attended 32 full days of school this school year.

I looked at their school calender and counted the days of instruction since school began on August 25, 2014 (with a half day) to and including today April 24, 2015.

My tally was 160 days of instruction. There is still another month of instruction to come.

So, I conclude that Rose was present for 32 days out of 160 days of instruction.

I don't know when the letter was written, maybe 10 days ago? That's still a total of 150 days.

I don't think 32 days is enough to accomplish much of anything.

I don't know why her parents didn"t homeschool her and then reenroll her when she is well enough to attend.

I thought in most states, children who have illnesses requiring hospitalization and long stays at home were able to have tutors come to the home. Is this not the case?

I know a child in my daughter's class in third grade had kidney failure and between dialysis and transplant she missed all but maybe a month of school and was still promoted. I do not know if she had a tutor or was just "excused".

I do know that the schools have gotten hardcore on attendance. Some charter and magnet schools require a certain level of attendance that if not met, for whatever reason, is considered breaking the contract and can result in the student not returning for the following school year.

I'd like to know more about this situation.

Is this a private school where you have to apply, and be accepted, and maintain an academic standard as well as a character standard? It seems likely she wasn't able to meet the academic standard, evidenced by the school saying there are things to the story they can't disclose.

It does seem sad, and even a little heartless - but that's private school.

While it's a very sad situation, the child appears to be missing a lot of school. In fact she seems to be missing more days than she is able to attend.
Seems like she should be homeschooled or some special arrangements made until she is feeling better and can actually attend school.

Is this a private school where you have to apply, and be accepted, and maintain an academic standard as well as a character standard? It seems likely she wasn't able to meet the academic standard, evidenced by the school saying there are things to the story they can't disclose.

It appears to be a private catholic school. I think it would be very hard to meet any academic standards for someone who is missing so much of it.

Yeah, I am thinking that, or like I said, even a public charter or magnet school has criteria for attendance.

Actually, even regular public schools are really strict about absences these days.

The regrettable faux pas was that she was informed by letter. Shesh!

In my state, public school students have to meet the requirement before you can request/apply for home bound services. I attended a catholic school and my parents hired a teacher when I was out for an extended period.

Rose McGrath.
"But last week, her family received a letter from her school that would turn her world upside down...
...the letter addressed concerns regarding Rose's attendance and academic performance, and stated that Rose had been dismissed from St. Joseph Middle School."
"The McGraths say despite all of the obstacles, Rose wason track to pass her core classes. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/girl-who-battled-cancer-is-dismissed-for-missing-school/
sbm bbm

The parents say???
Is "on track to pass her core classes" the same as she passed her core classes? IDK.
Did her parents ask school to administer tests for the core classes? IDK.
Or ask school to administer 'prelim. or practice tests' to give an indication about whether she was on track to pass? IDK.

Speculating, w no basis in fact -
1. If there were no in-person discussions btwn school admin & teachers and Rose's parents, and
if school sent letter out of the blue to parents- it's hard to imagine parents did not tell this to reporter & reporter did not include in article.
I could be wrong.
2. If parents had regular communications w school & worked w Rose to complete home-schooling or tutoring assignments,
they w/h advised reporter of this; reporter w/h included in article. I could be wrong, wrong, wrong.

Once again, as in many education & medical/healthcare provider situations, organizations have hands tied and
voices muzzled re ability to publicly respond to allegations - until lawsuit is filed.
JM2cts.

Hoping for better health and normal childhood for Rose and healing for her family.

I thought in most states, children who have illnesses requiring hospitalization and long stays at home were able to have tutors come to the home. Is this not the case?

I know a child in my daughter's class in third grade had kidney failure and between dialysis and transplant she missed all but maybe a month of school and was still promoted. I do not know if she had a tutor or was just "excused".

I do know that the schools have gotten hardcore on attendance. Some charter and magnet schools require a certain level of attendance that if not met, for whatever reason, is considered breaking the contract and can result in the student not returning for the following school year.

This is a private Catholic school. Private schools do not typically provide things school districts do. Like in-home tutors.

I think this is despicable and far from Christian. The priest who is in charge of the school said he felt justified in "suggesting" the little girl might do better elsewhere. There was no suggestion of any kind. The kid was expelled- kicked out of the school she's attended since kindergarten. Losing all her friends and their support.

Disgusting.

While I'm sure this is accurate for some private schools, my experience was quite the opposite. While my daughter didn't miss as much class as this young girl, she did miss a good deal during her freshman year. She was out for a full 8 weeks due to illness and the school went out of their way to make sure she had all of her school assignments from all teachers/subjects so she could complete the work at home. They were very concerned for her health and tried to do everything possible to help her through the difficulties of being out of school. Honestly, it warmed my heart. They were a great support to us.
I do wonder if the school continued to accept tuition for this child while she was out? If she's only attended 32 days out of 160, the school must have had an idea that they would be taking this action.

My son has not been to school since Nov. 11, 2014, after surgery and now having chemo. But I have the hospital liaison communicating with school, a homebound teacher come to the house twice a week, and his courses are online. I don't get what the problem is here.

If you cannot attend school regularly, you do not get to be on a sports team. There are medicines that help nausea and do not make you sleepy. Her mom should get one from the MD.

Maybe it is me, but people cannot seem to solve their own problems anymore without the press or a lawsuit

This is a private Catholic school. Private schools do not typically provide things school districts do. Like in-home tutors.

I think this is despicable and far from Christian. The priest who is in charge of the school said he felt justified in "suggesting" the little girl might do better elsewhere. There was no suggestion of any kind. The kid was expelled- kicked out of the school she's attended since kindergarten. Losing all her friends and their support.

Disgusting.

People move and switch schools all the time. If she goes to another school or they moved to Maine for her dad's job, she would be okay. I did not know it was a private school. But if you are not paying tuition, why would you think your kid is still enrolled there? During all this treatment and sickness I find it hard to believe the mom was not offered the same supports I have. I bet someone at their chosen medical Center told mom to get enrolled in a public school for this particular reason. I am not blaming, but you have to take action and take advantage of the people who are trying to help you when they are offering the help. Or at least keep their cards for later.

They have gotten hard core because now the schools are paid based on daily attendance. Not private schools, but public.

My kid is sick, too. But reading that girl and her mom whine is atrocious. Just because you were sick for a period of your life does not entitle you to special treatment for the the rest of your life. MOO My kid knows he may not graduate with his class, but that does not make him entitled to extra special treatment.

I don't know why her parents didn"t homeschool her and then reenroll her when she is well enough to attend.
That was my initial reaction also after reading the total number of days she was actually in school. She shouldn't have been expected to attend in her condition. However reading further and now realizing this is a parochial school, I am not at all surprised and shame on them for not giving her some assistance with her curriculum.

:waitasec:

MOO

People move and switch schools all the time. If she goes to another school or they moved to Maine for her dad's job, she would be okay. I did not know it was a private school. But if you are not paying tuition, why would you think your kid is still enrolled there? During all this treatment and sickness I find it hard to believe the mom was not offered the same supports I have. I bet someone at their chosen medical Center told mom to get enrolled in a public school for this particular reason. I am not blaming, but you have to take action and take advantage of the people who are trying to help you when they are offering the help. Or at least keep their cards for later.

But they did not move to Maine. She was kicked out of school. That's a big blow to a child. I'm sorry you cannot see that.

And who said they weren't paying tuition?

But they did not move to Maine. She was kicked out of school. That's a big blow to a child. I'm sorry you cannot see that.

And who said they weren't paying tuition?

I think it's obvious this is a big blow to the child.
But she is attending very little of school.
Also, right now her cancer is in remission. She isn't attending because she isn't feeling well.
But how much of school can one miss?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress