Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 315UMFL
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/315umfl.html
NamUs UP Case 1200 https://identifyus.org/cases/1200

Reconstruction of Victim by Sharon Long

Unidentified White Male

* Discovered on October 29, 1988 in the Gulf of Mexico, 8 miles southeast of Clearwater Pass, Pinellas County, Florida.
* It is estimated the body was in the water between 2 and 7 days.
* Skeletal remains

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 35-45 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 6'3"; 200-220 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair that is starting to gray. Dark, thick eyebrows. Due to decomposition his eye color cannot be determined. There were no scars, marks, or tattoos noted on the body. He could have been of Latin, Italian or Greek descent. He was slightly overweight, smoked, may have worked out with weights on a regular basis, loved rich foods and brushed his teeth about three times a day. The victim was right-handed, and at one point broke the little toe on his left foot. There were also signs that the his right jaw was injured during his lifetime.
* Dentals: He had a small hole where his top and bottom front teeth didn't meet properly. That could be an indication of the victim's occupation. He may have had to hold something between his teeth, such as a fishing net for a fisherman or nails for a carpenter.
* Clothing: He was wearing a pair of black swim trunks with green stripes. He had a white t-shirt tangled in the chain. The logo on the t-shirt reads "OCEAN VIEW CLUB, FOR KIDS ONLY". The T-shirt was made in Turkey.
* DNA: mtDNA Profile available in FBI NMPDD.

T-Shirt

Case History
The victim was found shot to death and floating in the Gulf of Mexico on October 29, 1988.
The victim had a chain and weights wrapped around his neck and two pointblank bullet wounds in the head. A fisherman, who first observed the badly decomposed body, towed him to shore.
The victim was used to good foods, and everything around him was somehow associated with the beaches.
No fingerprints available.

I don't see Gregory Allen Greco on any rule-out lists.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/greco_gregory.html

greco_gregory.jpg
greco_gregory3.jpg

* His height (6'3") is spot-on.
* His age (36) is within range (35-45 DoeNet 30-60 NamUs)
* He was last seen in Tampa, (i.e., within 30 miles of the shoreline adjacent to the waters where the body was found).
* He was last seen sometime in 1987 (i.e., a year before the body was found), but nothing in the circumstances suggest that he died in 1987.
* He appears to have similar Mediterranean ethnicity (to match the possible Latin, Italian, or Greek descent), and his surname "Greco" means "Greek", although it's actually a common Italian surname.

I don't see Gregory Allen Greco on any rule-out lists.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/greco_gregory.html

2619423790045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

* His height (6'3") is spot-on.
* His age (36) is within range (35-45 DoeNet 30-60 NamUs)
* He was last seen in Tampa, (i.e., within 30 miles of the shoreline adjacent to the waters where the body was found).
* He was last seen sometime in 1987 (i.e., a year before the body was found), but nothing in the circumstances suggest that he died in 1987.
* He appears to have similar Mediterranean ethnicity (to match the possible Latin, Italian, or Greek descent), and his surname "Greco" means "Greek", although it's actually a common Italian surname.

This UID is not Gregory Greco.

Gregory Greco was recently identified as a different UID found on 08-Aug-1987 near Clearwater Pass (DoeNet Case 1293UMFL).

http://m2.tbo.com/content/2011/sep/...d-more-than-30-years-after-body-f/news-metro/

2619423790045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
2300212780045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

while this missing man had brown hair (not sure how dark it was), alot of other factors seem to fit. Richard Romano (presumably Italian) was 28 when last seen in Pinellas County in 1980, which would make Romano 36 in 1988 when the UID was found. Romano was 6'1" (a little shorter than the UID and weighed 195lbs)

Of noteworthiness under his circumstances it states "Romano was reported to have ties to drug trafficking in the Miami area".

that could explain, both his enjoyment of the finer things in life and the violent manner of his death.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/10418/18/

while this missing man had brown hair (not sure how dark it was), alot of other factors seem to fit. Richard Romano (presumably Italian) was 28 when last seen in Pinellas County in 1980, which would make Romano 36 in 1988 when the UID was found. Romano was 6'1" (a little shorter than the UID and weighed 195lbs)

Of noteworthiness under his circumstances it states "Romano was reported to have ties to drug trafficking in the Miami area".

that could explain, both his enjoyment of the finer things in life and the violent manner of his death.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/10418/18/

Both the UID and Mr. Romano have DNA complete and entered, but I can see why you would have picked him out.

Both the UID and Mr. Romano have DNA complete and entered, but I can see why you would have picked him out.

The UID has both nucDNA and mtDNA entered into CODIS.

For Romano, Namus says "Sample submitted - Tests complete". for the sake of completeness, here is Romano's Doe Network profile which is silent on the subject of DNA -

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3585dmfl.html

so if Romano's DNA test is complete, does that necessarily mean that it was entered anywhere?

I am curious how it is determined that he may have brushed his teeth 3x daily. Any dental experts available?

A dental chart is entered on NamUs with this comment - "Teeth had a pink color on cervical portion. Caries on tooth 3 on occlusal surface. Posterior tetth occlusal wear, and heavy calculus was present, especially on buccal aspect of teeth 2, 3, 14, and 15."

Ruleouts as of 14 April 2013:

Joseph Dziowgo 1948 New Jersey
Brian Carlstrom 1959 California
Paul Charapko 1951 Florida
David Cunningham 1948 Georgia
Timothy Guy 1968 Georgia
Franklin Harder 1953 Idaho
STEPHEN HUGHES 1939 Utah
Hester Keith Jr. 1940 North Carolina
Gordon Lopez 1964 Oregon
George Miles 1927 Maryland

https://identifyus.org/cases/1200

Craig Alexander 1961 Vermont and Alan Stanfill 1963 Florida-added to rule outs.

And two new images- I hope it works and doesn't come out huge *fingers crossed*
Facial_Reconstruction_1988_1446.jpg

Mod if these pictures are too big please feel free to delete!

I have just finished the book "The girl with the crooked nose" so found this image of great interest.

Facial_Reconstruction_1988_1446_overlay.jpg

I've always been fascinated with this case. Growing up a few miles from Clearwater beach I know this area and it's history well. To me it seems mob or drug related. Would love to see a name to this man.

Ok, that's John Doe chains photo. I was thinking it was a possible. They actually have changed his sketch recently from what they thought he looked like. I think the new one is better IMO

What about John Brady? He's a couple inches off but hair partial gray and he disappeared in a boat with 2 others somewhere between Dunedin (next to Clearwater) and Haiti. It says on namus that they "had traveled to Haiti" so I'm wondering if they made to Haiti to pick something up (drugs?) and where coming back when something went wrong.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/27803/404/

There's actually an Ocean View Club and Beach Resort in Haiti.

That's exactly what I thought when first reading about this case. The time frame, the chains and weights and the fact he was wearing swim trunks suggests he was planning on being at the beach or on a boat possibly thinking he was hanging out with friends or possible associates to make drug deal and it went all wrong. Doubt anyone will come forward because of fear and the company they keep.

I just wanted to post this guy here.. his name is Rolando Perez Mejias I found a post form his mother in 2010 she was looking for him
He was last heard of in Sept 10 1988.. he left cuba with a friend and she knows the friend is in Miami but has not heard from her son. He his height was 6'1 . It might be a long shot but I thought I would post him anyway.

http://cubanosinfronteras.blogspot.com/2007/05/buscan-personas.html

Mi nombre es Marcia Mejías Llorca y soy de Camagüey. Quisiera encontrar a mi hijo Rolando Pérez Mejías, nacido en Camagüey el día 23 de septiembre de 1964. Desapareció el 10 de septiembre de 1988 después de salir de la casa. Se le vió por última vez junto con un amigo llamado José De la Caridad Núñez Díaz en la terminal provincial de Camagüey. Tengo entendido que este señor viajó años después a Miami y que vive aún aunque no tengo datos de este señor. Se dijo en aquel momento que mi hijo podía haber viajado a los Estados Unidos pero no tengo confirmación de este hecho.

Mi hijo vivía en la calle Fernando de Sayaz # 8 entre Calle A y Carmona, Reparto La Vigía, Camagüey.

Mi hijo mide 6 pies, 2 pulgadas, trigueño, de ojos negros, cabellos negros. En el momento de la desaparición vestía pantalón negro y camisa de cuadros chiquitos azules. Calzaba botines carmelitas. Es soltero. No tiene hijos.

No tengo noticias de mi hijo desde el año 1988 en que desapareció. Hoy me encuentro enferma y débil y quisiera, antes de morir, saber de su paradero aún en el caso de que haya fallecido.

Le pido a Dios todos los días saber de él. Gracias. Marcia Mejías Llorca.

Me pueden escribir a los siguientes correos de mi amiga:

adaviae@msn.com

loveforever17@live.com

315UMFL3_LARGE[1].jpgrolando_perez_mejias[1].jpg315UMFL4_LARGE[1].jpg

Ruleouts as of 14 April 2013:

Joseph Dziowgo 1948 New Jersey
Brian Carlstrom 1959 California
Paul Charapko 1951 Florida
David Cunningham 1948 Georgia
Timothy Guy 1968 Georgia
Franklin Harder 1953 Idaho
STEPHEN HUGHES 1939 Utah
Gordon Lopez 1964 Oregon
George Miles 1927 Maryland

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

MP19371 Craig Alexander 01/28/1985 Chittenden VT
MP2618 Brian Carlstrom 08/09/1986 San Bernardino CA
MP2824 David Cunningham 08/04/1984 Cobb GA
MP528 Timothy Guy 02/06/1987 Forsyth GA
MP2067 Franklin Harder 04/23/1978 Idaho ID
MP1850 Stephen Hughes 01/12/1986 Davis UT
MP2425 Hester Keith Jr. 02/18/1988 Wake NC
MP2038 Gordon Lopez 01/04/1986 Multnomah OR
MP1953 George Miles 03/30/1985 Worcester MD
MP27011 Alan Stanfill 01/13/1988 Baker FL

Joseph Dziowgo and Paul Charapko, who were previously on the exclusions list, have apparently been located.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back