MS MS - Jeffrey Hegwood, 23, Hattiesburg, 20 March 1980

Are the police willing to try to get a lie detector test done on the roommate now? His excuse (head injury) shouldn't be a factor now. I'm curious if he has an arrest record too. Has he been clean since Jeff disappeared?

Were there indications that there were more than one person trying to get the car out of the mud? Footprints?

I know there was an indication that they tried to get the car out, but I'm not sure of what nature. I will ask about that.

Are the police willing to try to get a lie detector test done on the roommate now? His excuse (head injury) shouldn't be a factor now. I'm curious if he has an arrest record too. Has he been clean since Jeff disappeared?

They have asked me to not to make any contact with the roommate.

They have asked me to not to make any contact with the roommate.

Have the police mentioned about them talking to the roommate and the girl Jeff was going to take out on a date? Seems to me they should redo the case from scratch. Maybe they should look at the physical evidence again too, if it still exists.

Maybe the girl knows something, but was afraid to talk about it back in the early 80s. If I was LE, I would talk to all of Jeff's friends and business associates. Maybe someone has some insight.

... If I was LE, I would talk to all of Jeff's friends and business associates. Maybe someone has some insight.

You are probably right. He did not simply disappear from the face of the earth, spontaneously combust, or get beamed aboard a spacecraft. Someone knows something.

Hegwood was obviously out driving at some point. How far was his car from his business or home? Did he often go cruising in his car or with friends? Did he loan his car to others at times?

What kinds of cars did his friends and associates drive?

Was he involved in any kind of shady or illegal or dangerous activities?

What kinds of activities did he participate in outside of home and work? Did his work require that he travel to suppliers, or places?

You are probably right. He did not simply disappear from the face of the earth, spontaneously combust, or get beamed aboard a spacecraft. Someone knows something.

Hegwood was obviously out driving at some point. How far was his car from his business or home? Did he often go cruising in his car or with friends? Did he loan his car to others at times?

What kinds of cars did his friends and associates drive?

Was he involved in any kind of shady or illegal or dangerous activities?

What kinds of activities did he participate in outside of home and work? Did his work require that he travel to suppliers, or places?

A local newspaper should also consider doing an article on this case. A tip could come in as a result. It could be on someone's conscience after all these years.

A local newspaper should also consider doing an article on this case. A tip could come in as a result. It could be on someone's conscience after all these years.

Excellent idea, McSpy! I wholeheartedly agree. :yes:

Excellent idea, McSpy! I wholeheartedly agree. :yes:

Thanks! I think a family member should approach the local newspaper and news stations. Perhaps give them all the info in detail in time for an anniversary story on the case (March 20th). It doesn't have to be March 20th, but I have noticed that news media tends to do stories like this with connections to dates.

Any new info on this case? I find myself thinking of Jeff a lot. He is lost out there and needs to be brought home to his family. I just can't imagine his family living all of these years without knowing what happened to him.

Well, the local newspaper, the Hattiesburg American, has gone to a pay site and made lots of locals angry. (Or at least that's what I heard. I'm not local anymore.) There's WDAM and WHLT television stations. WHLT has a super active Facebook page, and I have seen them asking for news stories.

https://www.facebook.com/whltcbs22?ref=ts&fref=ts

Might be worth a shot to contact them.

I contacted the news station via the facebook page link you provided. I provided the basic information and pretty much just asked them if they would run the story as a public interest type feature which may just bring answers to the disappearance of Jeffrey. Hopefully they run with it. Keep your fingers crossed.

Did Jeffrey have any criminal charges or any kind of a record? Had he been involved in any litigation or civil lawsuits?

Did he have any side businesses or interests, such as buying and selling cars, or other property items? It is said that he bought a watch and pistol from a pawn shop. Did he buy other things from pawn brokers? Did he also sell items there?

It has been 33 years now since Jeffrey Keith Hegwood went missing.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202618544770751549495.0004e064dbcca7f119894&msa=0&ll=31.339709,-89.299793&spn=0.074627,0.15501

Just read the thread about Jeffrey Hegwood -- I had taken a break last year from WS and missed this whole discussion :(.

I'm gonna chime in since I grew up in Hattiesburg -- haven't lived there in 26 years, but know the area pretty well. I was a sophomore in high school back in March of 1980, and I can't believe that I never heard anything about this missing person case (this would have been the kind of news event that my parents would have used as a cautionary tale-- not sure how; but they would have found a way). And I don't recall the Towne House Lounge either. Although, I must say I was never a partier in high school-- and downtown H'burg was not the safest place to hang out. So I'm not surprised that this got by me -- Downtown Hattiesburg's few clubs (targeting my peer group) never lasted in those areas for long.

Thought I would add a google map to contribute to the discussion on known locations for the night that Jeff went missing. Some points that I have added to the map are three water ways (Leaf River, Bouie River and Gordan's Creek) that are all three VERY close to the area where Jeff's car was located on Short Katie Ave, and not far from his business. I've included these because if Jeff was murdered that night, his body could have been taken to one of these places for concealment.

Interestingly enough, Oaklawn Cemetery (which most locals agree is haunted) is located at the corner of Hardy and Green (where the fender bender occurred). Wonder if there were any fresh grave sites that someone could have taken advantage of to hide a body. :(

Really interested to find out if there has ever been any sort of organized search for Jeffrey -- such a sad thing to have happen and no real publicity at the time to aid in supplying tips for the police.

With so many years going by, maybe someone who knows something will start to have a guilty conscience and feel the need to get this off their chest.

I tend to agree that the roommate(s) know more -- was there just one roommate or more? If the roommate was the driver of Jeff's car, he would have needed a ride away from where the car was left -- wonder if this new employee/roommate was involved in any drug purchasing that night (it's very common that bar/ restaurant staff are involved in after hour drug use in the burg) --maybe Jeff stumbled into something that night that his roommate had going on and got caught in the middle.

I pray more details will come to light and Jeff's family can have their loved one home.

No - Jeff had no criminal record at all, not even a misdemeanor charge.

Thank you for the comments Nola. We have all wondered if someone did him physical harm and then tossed his body in the river; especially since there was some flooding going on from all the rains at that time.

He did not buy anything else or sell any items to pawn shops that we know of. He didn't have any outside interest we know of, always busy with the Towne House and when he wasn't there, he would be visiting his parents and sisters.

Just an update. I just spoke with the news station in Hattisburg, MS and they are considering doing a cold case missing person story on Jeff in March. He will have been missing 34 years.

Last month marked the 35 year anniversary of Jeffrey's disappearance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back