TX Shots fired at a free-speech "draw Muhammad " event in Garland TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Unfortunately I feel the more important aspect of this story ,i.e. radical Islamic terrorist on our own soil, will be lost because of the views of those attacked.

If one of the "artists" had attacked a Muslim event, well, that would be "newsworthy" and outrageous.

Nah, that point won't be lost.

I'm just worried that people will think there is an art scene in Garland, Texas.

Peace.

CNN is already trying to place the blame on the intended targets of this terrorist attack.

Just now CNN "security analyst" Bob Baer just said "as long as you have *elements* in this country who want to *push* first amendment rights violence is inevitable.

On CNN just now - Natalie Allen - referring to the organizers of this event said that they are "recognized as a hate group" WOW ! So according to CNN if you try assert your first amendment rights you are a member of a "hate group". Unbelievable how this is being spun.

Pamela Geller gave an AMAZING interview with FOX news. Unfortunately it is not up on their site and I cannot link to the sites that are hosting it (non-msm) but suffice to say Pam Geller is the new "Iron Lady".

CNN reporting on this story makes repeated reference to "the Prophet Mohamed"

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/04/us/garland-Mohammed-drawing-contest-shooting/index.html

Why do they do this? Would a story by CNN about Jesus refer to him as "the Lord Jesus" ? I doubt it!

What is with all this reverence towards Mohammed by the msm? According to the Hadith - Mohammed's youngest wife - Aisha - was only 6 or 7 years old when he married her (as an adult!) and Aisha was 9 years old when Mohammed consummated the marriage. In other words he was a Pedophile of the WORST kind! Why all the reverence for a pedophile? I just don't get it! Can someone enlighten me?

Here is the full text of the speech delivered by the courageous Dutch politician Geert Wilders in Garland last night:

http://geertwilders.nl/index.php/94...mmad-cartoon-contest-garland-texas-3-may-2015

I especially love this part!

It is no coincidence that we are in Garland, Texas, tonight. It is here that, three months ago, shortly after the Charlie Hebdo massacre, Islamic activists convened to demand that free speech be curtailed. They want to prohibit cartoons, books and films which they find insulting.

Our answer is clear:
Don’t mess with Texas!
Don’t mess with the free West!
Don’t mess with our freedom of speech!

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!

Thanks for starting this thread, it alerts me to some of the stuff going on under the Baltimore hype. We need to know, and understand, more of what's going on in America.

Where is a copy of the winning cartoon? I've done a quick a google but can't find it. Tia.

Ta. I like the message given in that picture, and I wholeheartedly support the right to display it. I checked out the artist's blog and he lost me at the first couple of pictures, not to mention the rest of it. I'm confused as to how I can have the same beliefs in freedom of expression, and yet I find the way that they (e.g. Gellar and Wilders to name a few) present their views conveying a level of hatred and disgust that I just don't feel.

What is with all this reverence towards Mohammed by the msm? According to the Hadith - Mohammed's youngest wife - Aisha - was only 6 or 7 years old when he married her (as an adult!) and Aisha was 9 years old when Mohammed consummated the marriage. In other words he was a Pedophile of the WORST kind! Why all the reverence for a pedophile? I just don't get it! Can someone enlighten me?

Kevin you know we usually see eye to eye on things but....

1400 years ago it was VERY COMMON for girls to be married off as child brides. Mohammed married the girl at a younger age but did not consummate until she had reached puberty. That was quite normal at the time not only among the Arab tribes but also Jews and many others.

It would be like accusing him of supporting slavery, that was also widely practiced, but no one is condemning him for that because everyone accepts the fact it was common place.

This sounds a bit like having a No Homers Club and then inviting Homer to the club house.

This sounds a bit like having a No Homers Club and then inviting Homer to the club house.

It sounds to me like Homer came to the club, didn't like it, and instead of going home decided to destroy the club itself.

The first Amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/208044/First-Amendment

If people don't like to obey our rules, maybe they should go back where they came from, or WE should enforce our laws more stringently.

It sounds to me like Homer came to the club, didn't like it, and instead of going home decided to destroy the club itself.

The first Amendment:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/208044/First-Amendment

If people don't like to obey our rules, maybe they should go back where they came from, or WE should enforce our laws more stringently.

Sure, you can go ahead and fall back on the First Amendment to justify provocative behavior.

It's still not particularly intelligent or adult behavior.

But hey, people have the right to that too.

So it was a pissing contest, not an art contest.

I agree with the ACLU's perspective on free speech:
The First Amendment exists precisely to protect the most offensive and controversial speech from government suppression. The best way to counter obnoxious speech is with more speech. Persuasion, not coercion, is the solution.

In that light, both the earlier pro-Islam event and the draw Mohammed event were exercises of one of the most fundamental principles of a free society. The draw Mohammed event was a classic and time-honored way to counter the earlier event that promoted Sharia law.

Speech (expression) that many or most people find obnoxious, offensive or controversial is exactly the kind of speech that is most in need of protecting. IMO, anyone who believes in free speech only as long as the speech isn't offensive is someone who doesn't believe in free speech.

The draw Mohammed organizers didn't take guns and grenades to the pro-Islam event and start shooting. Guns and grenades are not a legitimate way to counter speech that one finds offensive. More speech is.

Yes, I guess one could view it as a pissing contest. One could also view it as a free and vigorous exchange of ideas, which is one of the cornerstones of a free society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge