Identified! AZ - Yavapai Co, 'Little Miss Nobody', WhtFem 6-7, UP10741, Jul'60 - Sharon Lee Gallegos

The thing that bothers me is the fingernails and toenails were painted and her hair was possibly dyed makes me think she could be older and the "rusty" pocket knife found nearby.The body being burned could have preserved it in the dry Arizona heat. I think Donnis Redman is a possibility she has a very small young looking face.Her boyfriends car was found in Williams,Arizona. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1475/617/

I sent Carrie an email to see if she can get any records in NamUs. It usually takes her a while to respond.

As for the hair dye; I'm thinking the wash out tint that was popular back then. We used it in beauty school; can't recall the name
I do not feel she was older then 4-5

I'm thinking that Future Sweethearts of the Rodeo would explain a lot. Beauty pageants in general were huge in the fifties and early sixties. I never participated in anything like that but one of my friends' little sister was a future sweetheart for a fraternity at the college in my home town. I think she would have been five or six. Beautiful blonde girl with perfect teeth just like this girl.

I called the public library in Prescott and asked about the July Fourth celebrations- the Fourth of July event has been held since 1881. I also asked if there were any events that were being held in July 1960 that are no longer held-the librarian referred me to the historical society to answer that one. I will try to reach the historical society members in the next few days.

According to the librarian at the Prescott Public Library, the Fourth of July event has been held since 1881. I asked if there were any now-defunct events that had been held in July 1960, but had been discontinued since then. He referred me to the historical society. I will call them in the next few days.

I wish she wasn't Little Miss Nobody - she was a Somebody. Someone must have loved her. She is God's Child.

I wish she wasn't Little Miss Nobody - she was a Somebody. Someone must have loved her. She is God's Child.

Little Miss Nobody is the heroine of a popular Shirley Temple movie. She's a spunky kid with no family who uses her brains and integrity to win the day. Our girl even looks like Shirley Temple.

Whoa. I wonder whether she was dressedo up for a Shirley Temple lookalike contest.

It was a Jane Withers movie, but you're right. It's possible that LMN could have been in some sort of contest. I'm thinking... what if she didn't win and there was some sort of cash prize and an enraged family member saw their chances of leaving the sticks vanish like smoke between their fingers and physically attacked the child?

It's easy to remember: Shirley Temple = On the Good Ship Lollipop. Jane Withers - looks like Our Gang/The Little Rascals Alfalfa if he'd been born a girl.

Back to LMN... it takes a special kind of killer to just dump a corpse on a dry river bed . Like a piece of rubblish, discarded with the day's trash. There was no tenderness or care in the disposal at all, as far as i can see.

The type of killer that is hopefully burning in a very, very hot place if they are deceased.

I sincerely hope Yavapai County and the state of AZ will consider exhuming LMN to collect DNA. Her killer (s) has/have escaped justice for far too long if they are still living.

I compiled the info below; hope it helps everyone to see she was very loved by the town.

Congress AZ - Age 6-7, "Little Miss Nobody" July 31, 1960

Body of a female child found in Sand Wash/ Creek Bed on Old Alamo Road, partially buried on July 31, 1960. Pathologist believed she had been deceased 1-2 weeks. She had a "full and perfect set of baby teeth."

A campaign for funds to provide a decent burial was spearheaded by Dave Palladin, an announcer at Prescott radio station KYCA. It is how she had become to be known as "Little Miss Nobody". She was adopted by locals who not only paid for her funeral but were there when she was buried. She was truly a "somebody" that day. A card on her small casket bore this inscription "God's little child, date of birth unknown, date of death unknown".

Dave Palladin, a radio announcer with KYCA "couldn't stand to see the little girl buried in a "Boot Hill" (paupers grave). He spearheaded a campaign to get the funds to provide what turned out to be the finest of Christian burials. Prescott's Florist, cemetery operators and Widmer's Mortuary provided the services and burial on Wednesday August 10, 1960.

In a voice choked with emotion, Dr. Charles Franklin Parker of the Congressional Church conducted the rites; adding "Somewhere, someone is watching to learn what happened to a little girl left on the desert. If there has been a misdeed, probably a disquieted conscience will go on and on."

Her funeral was attended by more then 70 mourners.

Sheriff's officers, Newsmen and others worked very hard to find her identity. It's been reported that she was between the ages of 4 1/2 to 7. Sheriff Cramer and law officers traveled hundreds of miles by air and by land following leads. Suspects in other crimes involving small children were also questioned. Sheriff Cramers office in Prescott received dozens of letters, telephone calls and telegrams asking information on the little girl. On Tuesday August 8, 1961; Sheriff Cramer led a party of Law Enforcement Officers and a camera man to film the actual location where the child was found. Later in the afternoon, the Sheriff with George Ireland who was the County Attorney brought out evidence found including the adult sized rubber flip flops which were cut down to her size. The film was shown on television with the hope that someone recognized what he called "fragmentary mementoes of crime" to provide a final solution to the case. Sheriff Cramer felt "somewhere there is someone who has the answer that we have been looking for; maybe this will be the thing that will bring that person forward.

Link to flip flop article.

the cut down men's flip-flops, the colored hair... it's very troubling.

Does anyone know whether the police investigation records for LMN in 1960 still exist?

Hopefully they haven't been junked.

Also, looking at old newspapers could help in some way.

The type of killer that is hopefully burning in a very, very hot place if they are deceased.

I sincerely hope Yavapai County and the state of AZ will consider exhuming LMN to collect DNA. Her killer (s) has/have escaped justice for far too long if they are still living.
I hope they consider exhuming her to get her DNA too.

A few months ago, at Rselvr's suggestion, I called TV stations in Phoenix to see if they still had tapes of their 1960 news broadcasts and the short news piece of the then-sheriff speaking about LMN. I contacted those stations that were in existence in 1960. Remember there were only 3 networks back then: ABC,CBS, NBC. At that time, Prescott received the Phoenix TV stations- Prescott did not have its own TV stations.
The oldest tape library kept by any Phoenix station went back to the 1987-88 era, nothing before that. The nationally known film and news archival sites, such as UCLA and NYPL, said they did not keep local newscasts from Arizona and they recommended I contact the Arizona stations. One person I spoke to said basically, that in 1960, if something aired on a local news broadcast, it was gone forever once it had aired. Back then, people didn't think about preservation the way they do now.

The only other long-shot place I can think of that might , maybe, have the 1960 broadcast would be the University of Arizona. I will not have time to call them until June 8th. If anyone else would like to call U of AZ library reference department, please jump in and do so. But please,only one person call, not 300. If you decide to call, please post on this thread that you are doing so.

As frustrating as it is having to use microfiche to help us with LMN, i remind myself that under good conditions, microfiche can last up to 500 years while modern digital formats degrade within two decades.

Having given Beverly Potts, Kylie Maybury, Sheree Beasley and now LMN their articles on Wikipedia, I've been accused of having an obsession with dead girls.

Is it known as to whether LMN got any attention in the decades after her murder or are the folks here the first? It doesn't seem as though she got Princess Doe-type memorial gatherings and rallies?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back